Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Dinny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Bob,
I was shaking like a dog pooping a peach pit. I was excited for him before he even pulled the trigger. He was cool under pressure and exercised the most patience I've ever seen him use. He waited for the perfect shot and took it while the bear was comfortable and leaning on the bait barrel. I must have told him to shoot three times before he pulled the trigger, lol.

Medics bury their mistakes..
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great job you and your son!

D
Dinny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by badwolf
Great job you and your son!

Thank you!

We hunted with Joseph Tomah Outfitters near Jackman, Maine. For $2500 per hunter (my son was the licensed hunter, I accompanied him for free) we were provided lodging at the Maple Inn three miles north of famed Bishop's Gas Station and Convenience Store. We were provided with a substantial lunch everyday. This lasts for 6 days, though one could pick the 6 days they want to hunt. We chose June 11-16 hoping all the bears would be out of hibernation and hungry. As an added bonus, the boars were on the prowl for a mate. We hunted the 2nd available week so I believe the season opened o/a June 5th and goes until late June sometime.

The guides drove us to our stands and picked us up just after dark and brought us back or we stayed later while downed bears were recovered. We had the mornings and early afternoon everyday to fish, explore, or sleep in.

The Passamaquoddy Tribe owns 30K acres of wilderness and those lands are mostly accessible by truck via gravel roads that wind and twist throughout. Travel from the motel to some stands could be an hour or slightly more. We were in our stand by 5pm and it didn't get dark until about 9pm.

They have 2 man 15 ft ladder stands and medium sized box blinds on the ground. The bait barrels are rarely more than 30yds from the stands. We had action at our stand nearly everyday. The experienced hunter who sat in our stand the week before passed on a smaller 110lb bear, we passed on a 130lb bear we saw the first night, shot the 165lb bear pictured above on the third night and someone shot a 150lb bear from that stand on the fifth night.

Some stands are less than 100yds from the roads and some are much farther. ATVs are often used to get limited mobility hunters to and from their stands.

This year they baited with trail mix, chocolate chip cookie dough, fryer oil, and molasses.

Roger and Joe and their crew of experienced guides treated us like family. Facebook has Joe's contact info. They also offer Fall moose hunts though they may be booked full for some time in the future. We saw 8-10 moose either on Hwy 201 or on the gravel roads around the hunting grounds. They're alot bigger in person than I imagined.

A excellent butcher in town had our bear cut up and frozen in near record time. He previously worked for a taxidermist and left the paws and skull attached to the hide when he skinned the bear. He vacuum packed all the meat and it all stayed frozen when kept in the back of my truck inside decent Walmart coolers.

https://m.facebook.com/people/Tomah-Joseph-Outfitters/100063831339706/

We truly enjoyed the balance of time, lodging accommodations, food, and hunting opportunities this outfitter offers. Lord willing and if the creek don't rise, we'll be back next year!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
congrats on a good hunt with your kid, time well spent

D
Dinny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 44mc
congrats on a good hunt with your kid, time well spent

Thanks!

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Great story Dinny! You just created a wonderful memory for the both of you that’ll live forever in your hearts. Nothing better than a hunt like this!

Give your son a high five for me and a hearty tip of my hat to you from one dad to another. 👍🏼

On a separate note…. I’m glad to hear that the Thermacell works well for you. I’ve used it twice up in Alaska with less than stellar results. In fact by the end of the week it seemed that the mosquitoes were using the Thermacell to copulate on…it didn’t keep the mosquitoes at bay for us. On this fly out hunt we probably had $10,000 worth of gear between the 2 of us but of everything we DID bring we forgot to bring headnets. For want of basically $4.00 worth of headnets we were swatting mosquitoes and fighting those bastards the entire time. 100% Deet helps but it’s not a substitute for a headnet. 😀

Great job to both of you guys!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Dinny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Great job to both of you guys!

Thank you!

Next year I think we'll skip bear hunting and go after smallies and walleyes on Lake St. Clair. 😎

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good deal. Something I only dreamed about at that age.

1Minute
D
Dinny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 1minute
Something I only dreamed about at that age.

Same here. I shot my first bear in my 40s.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lucky kid!

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
This is an awesome thread! Thanks for sharing it.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first one is always the most memorable, for both of you. Good job!

Wishing you many more memorable father and son hunts.

KB

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,797
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.