Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Txtrout Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
So, I'm going to solicit a bit of input on this rifle. I know that this commemorative edition is often rebuked and I understand why.

So the big question is in looking at it, I'm thinking that it is essentially a 99A with a 24" octagon barrel and a few minor variations, even though the 99A came out a year later in 1971?

I picked one up a few months ago for cheap. Someone had dropped it on its butt and broke the butt stock toe, and bent the crescent buttplate. It it totally usable as is, outside of a slightly strange looking butt that will put a strange mark on your shoulder..

I purchased it for I wanted a 308 for certain reasons, and I'm fond of octagon barrels. I could do without the engraving and the medallion. Has a very nice 4x scope, etc. I totally view this as a hunting rifle, not a collectable. It shows promise as a very accurate rifle. It's actually a shame that the stock is wacked, for it has some very nice wood.

For longe term plans I'm currently planning to restock it with a straight grip with a cheek piece with a shotgun style butt and a new forend. I may or may not replace the brass lever... I'm thinking of taking it to Africa in a couple of years as a backup to my 1909 Argentine in 30-06..

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I bought one cheap, $350, in the same condition as you are describing many years ago. About 1" of the butt stock toe missing, rest of rifle in great shape, but had normal field use wear on it. I hunted with it for a number of years. Some guy recently made me a trade deal on it I could not pass up, basically $1,000 in cash value on something I needed more since I am not hunting in .308 anymore. It was a great rifle. Re-stock that puppy and enjoy it!

Last edited by FSJeeper; 07/29/23.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds to me like you have a good foundation for building that 99 of your dreams. As far as it resembling any variant of the 99, keep in mind they started with the basic action for making everything.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sounds like a plan. It's frahuntzed now as it sits so why not transform it into what you want? These things aren't religious icons no matter what the "white glove crowd" says.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Another option would be to send the stock to someone like Jay ward at Dandee reproductions, and have him repair it. That way you get to keep the nice wood.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
frahuntzed

It looks like there aren't many great matches for your search
Try using words that might appear on the page you’re looking for. For example, "cake recipes" instead of "how to make a cake."

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can’t think of anything you could do to a 75th that would “ruin” it…

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Txtrout
So the big question is in looking at it, I'm thinking that it is essentially a 99A with a 24" octagon barrel and a few minor variations, even though the 99A came out a year later in 1971.
Well, it’s not from a 99A.

The receivers are a modified 99E receiver. Lever safety..

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 99guy
I can’t think of anything you could do to a 75th that would “ruin” it…

+1

T
Txtrout Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Calhoun,

I forgot that the 1971+ has the tang safety. Thanks for the reminder.

IC B3

T
Txtrout Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
FSJeeper,

Almost sounds like the same rifle! 😊

I could believe that no one bid against me in the action I was at.

T
Txtrout Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I took "frahuntzed" to mean messed up...

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I had a 99 in 308 Win in a cheepo version. Functional, with detachable mag, but hardwood stock and just cheepo as the my purchase price reflected. And I sold it cheap! Just didn't ring my chimes for 'essence' of the 99 genre! Also similar experience with liking a Marlin 336 pattern Zane Gray Commemorative features. "Limited to 10K production hype. Factually limited to few thousand less as 'insufficient market', production ended! . That was in '70/'71. Marlin with the distinctive tapered barrels holding few thousand in excess. '72, the "Marlin Octagon" Model appeared. Some several thousand production matching supply. Same straight stock & lever without the Whoop-de-doo. Exactly what I wanted, but quickly sold out. Finally, some years later a pristine piece at bargain price. Now mine. 30-30 Win chambering only. Suited me fine!

If to make the Savage of your dreams, go for it! If a fixer-upper, I'd not spend much and "shooter" term to attach.

Good Luck! John

T
Txtrout Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I view this as a fun hunter build. When you pick a rifle up for what many rifled actions go for, you have some leaway on things, and it keeps me out of the pool hall.

The dream rifle would be an early 1899, in 30-30.with a perch belly pistol grip stock. Engraving optional....half octagon even better. Or the very rare true 1895 with 26" octagon barrel, straight wrist with perch belly butt stock. But I'm not made of that type of money.so I'll make a modern version of one

Besides, my teenage daughter is having a hand in designing this one and she will get to keep it. She already took my Stevens 418 from me and a few other items.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
frahuntzed

Try using words that might appear on the page you’re looking for. For example, "cake recipes" instead of "how to make a cake."

"Frahuntzed": a Pennsylvania-Dutch word meaning "screwed up". Sorry, just a bit of "wicked good" vernacular humor.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the brass buttplates are too soft. I bumped my shooter grade 75th on the concrete floor and it bent the buttplate and took a chunk out of the toe of the stock.
Savage made 10,000 of them which was too much for a commemorative and dealers had to dump them cheap to get rid of them. This resulted in many of them being bought for shooters.
Nothing wrong with using them for shooters. But my mind set is that I have another one in pristine condition and it will stay unfired. To each his own.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
TXTROUT, this is the 75th Anniversary one I traded last year in Houston but without the scope. The owner sent this pic after he installed the scope. The toe was chipped off and runs about an inch up the stock. Not super noticeable, but kills any collector value thus making it a nice hunter of which it did this job damn good. I used this one for about 10 years before switching to a 99 in .358 and ultimately making a Savage 99 in 450 Bushmaster which is the perfect brush gun IMO, especially for South Texas. Still not done and needs a lot to complete, but usable. Since this picture I have much lower scope rings and am still working on a scope base with integral peep and rearward mounting point for the Aimpoint Nano red dot which I think will end up being the primary sight for this rifle.

Attached Images
75th 99.jpg (31.26 KB, 148 downloads)
75th 99 toe chip.jpg (2.89 KB, 145 downloads)
99 450 1x6 Swaro.jpg (43 KB, 146 downloads)
Last edited by FSJeeper; 07/30/23.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
frahuntzed

"Frahuntzed": a Pennsylvania-Dutch word meaning "screwed up". Sorry, just a bit of "wicked good" vernacular humor.

I just assumed it meant that other word for screwed up that starts in F we all seem to use to much!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

T
Txtrout Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
FSJ,

The 450 BM conversation is very cool! How long is the barrel? I would also agree on that as "the South Texas brush gun". Was planning a 45-70 single shot, but you just presented me with a whole new option.

Your 75th isn't the same rifle, but it's interesting that there are at least three of them with the same broken toe issue in this conversation.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
TxTrout, the barrel is 16". I had another one made in 20" but am totally in love with the 16 incher so the 20 incher is going to another one of our esteemed Savage Forum members unfinished. I have always been fascinated with the 47 70, but not the lever rifles it comes chambered in. The 450 Bushmaster is basically a 45 70 equal but will run in the action and has super low operating pressures that make it ideal for the Savage 99. The guy who barreled my two 450's is CTW who is our resident Savage 99 rebarreler and gunsmith. He was the first ever to build one in 450 Bushmaster, and his is a rotary using 284 guts. This is the crème de la crème of big bore lever 99's.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 07/30/23.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I used to see the Savage 75 year anniversary 99s fairly often at the gun shows back in the 90s. They didnt get much attention and usually sat for a long time

T
Txtrout Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
At first I was thinking it might be a 18" barrel, but 16" makes sense. I've considered a 450 BM before, but already have a 22" and 18" 45-70 barrel thus what I currently have.

However, the whole 450 BM 99 may have to go into my longer term project list. I think that is so cool. Is it a stainless barrel? I was thinking over the thought of taking a late model 308 and making it a 6.5 CM for my daughter to use, but this whole 450 BM might jump in front.

I'll take a picture of my current Texas dangerous game rifle that's a single shot. I need to finish the stock work after I finish a house project for my wife.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
At first I was thinking it might be a 18" barrel, but 16" makes sense. I've considered a 450 BM before, but already have a 22" and 18" 45-70 barrel thus what I currently have.

However, the whole 450 BM 99 may have to go into my longer term project list. I think that is so cool. Is it a stainless barrel? I was thinking over the thought of taking a late model 308 and making it a 6.5 CM for my daughter to use, but this whole 450 BM might jump in front.

I'll take a picture of my current Texas dangerous game rifle that's a single shot. I need to finish the stock work after I finish a house project for my wife.

I love single shots and would love to see pics of your project. a 45-70 Single shot is a cool thing.

I would not convert any Savage 99 to 6.5 Creedmoor as they are rated to 62,000 psi (Saami). It is hit or miss whether the action you would build on would flex with that type of pressure or not. Savage 99's don't do high pressure well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
I love single shots and would love to see pics of your project. a 45-70 Single shot is a cool thing.

I would not convert any Savage 99 to 6.5 Creedmoor as they are rated to 62,000 psi (Saami). It is hit or miss whether the action you would build on would flex with that type of pressure or not. Savage 99's don't do high pressure well.
The 22-250 cartridge is spec'd at 62,000 psi also.

So I don't see a reason to do it.. but a later 99C at least would probably be able to handle a 6.5 Creedmoor. Same as a 338 Federal.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[/quote]
The 22-250 cartridge is spec'd at 62,000 psi also.

So I don't see a reason to do it.. but a later 99C at least would probably be able to handle a 6.5 Creedmoor. Same as a 338 Federal.[/quote]

Maybe, but from my experience the actions including the 99C are hit and miss for locking up with higher pressure cartridges. Most likely no problems I would imagine, but you are definitely rolling the dice. I am not sure about the 6.5 Creedmoor, because I have not heard anything about it in the 99, but for sure there are cases of the Savage 99 locking up with the .338 conversion.

T
Txtrout Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Let's see if this works. Still need to cut the flutes, add the grip cap and the white lines to match, etc. And sorry the work bench is cluttered.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Txtrout; 07/30/23.
T
Txtrout Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
On the 308 to 6.5 CM. The pressure of the 308 and the 6.5 CM are rated the same @ 62k PSI, and would have the same calculated bolt thrust. However, I understand the thought on not making that conversation. For me, I'd rather have one in 7/08. But, they are a bit pricey as original. Considering just re-barreling a 99c to 7/08. I like the thought of 6.5CM just due to ammo availability and not having to reload.

Last edited by Txtrout; 07/30/23.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
On the 308 to 6.5 CM. The pressure of the 308 and the 6.5 CM are rated the same @ 62k PSI, and would have the same calculated bolt thrust. However, I understand the thought on not making that conversation. For me, I'd rather have one in 7/08. But, they are a bit pricey as original. Considering just re-barreling a 99c to 7/08. I like the thought of 6.5CM just due to ammo availability and not having to reload.
Let's see if this works. Still need to cut the flutes, add the grip cap and the white lines to match, etc. And sorry the work bench is cluttered.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very nice! That should get the job done with style!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Converting a 308 to 260 Rem makes a lot more sense than 6.5 C

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
T
Txtrout Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Hi FSJeeper,

What twist rate does your 450 have? The standard 1 in 24"?

Thank you.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Txtrout,

I started my 450 Bushmaster adventure with a Ruger Scout in 450 Bushmaster which comes with a 1 in 16" barrel twist. I handload and had nothing but superb accuracy with the 1 in 16 twist and that is what all of my 450 bushmaster rifles have now. Two Custom Mausers, two Savage 99's. I am sold on the 1 in 16 barrel twist rate and have 4 years experience with it now.

A lot of people and custom rifle builders go with the 1 in 24 inch twist rate for the 450 BM. This clearly must work also or there would not be so much attention to them.

All I can speak for is the 1 in 16 twist for the 450 Bushmaster. I can recommend this based on experience. If you go to the Ruger boards, you'll also find happiness with their 1 in 16 twist bolt and AR rifles.

Attached Images
Pair of 450s resized.jpg (37.97 KB, 92 downloads)
Last edited by FSJeeper; 08/03/23.
T
Txtrout Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for the twist info. That's great to know. I have a couple of 1 in 16" twist blanks that can be used for this potential future project.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks for the twist info. That's great to know. I have a couple of 1 in 16" twist blanks that can be used for this potential future project.

If you are setup for 45 70, there is no practical difference between it and the 450 BM. The only reason for the 450 BM is to run it in a short action to get the 45 70 performance. Otherwise, the 45 70 makes things a lot easier.

T
Txtrout Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I agree no practical reason. I have a couple of 45 ACP single shots planned and the thought of a 450 BM has always been in my mind due to easier to get less expensive factory ammo for if I don't want to have to reload, etc over 45-70.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (22250rem, 222Sako, 160user, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 3,342 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,734
Posts18,535,227
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.