Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 68 of 257 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 256 257
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by ironbender
I fast several times per day. Feeling great!

As an experiment I just finished 32 hours and to be honest I don't feel any different. I drank green tea and water only, my breath stank and my body smelt (despite two showers)...probably from the tea.
Around the 24 hour mark my skin got all greasy, and apart from not feeling hungry there wasn't really anything interesting about it.

I shall do the same for the next three Saturdays, but only because it amuses me.

Fasting without keto, is kinda like washing your truck in a dust storm.

1. Stop the High-Starch/low-fat/Processed Sugar diet.
2. Clean up your system with keto.
3. Improve your health with fasting.

Who inverted Critical Path Management?

Genghis Khan.

1. Rape.
2. Pillage.
3. Burn.

GR

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jc189
rcamuglia,

Well I must admit that American Skeet my not be as difficult as some other moving target sports. The last clay target I shot was in 1980. That was well over 40 years ago. When I was shooting, sporting clays wasn't even a thing yet. So I'm an old has been. But most of my shooting was international (Olympic) Skeet. Much more difficult than American skeet. I have a long list of wins, Gold, silver, and bronze medals at state, zone, reginal, and world levels also. At one time my shooting average was in the top 10 in the world. I was a member of the United States Army Marksmanship Unit shooting team From 1977-1980. I was there with Lones Wigger. google the name. I shot with Matt Dryke for years. you can google that one too. after I left the team in 1980 he went on to win Olympic Gold in 84 in International skeet. I have shot international competition All over the Country, in Canada, Germany, England, Italy, France, Spain. I was also a certified Sniper instructor at Ft. Benning Ga. I have put thousands of rounds down range on Uncle Sam's dime.

That being said
My shooting credentials give me no knowledge or experience with fasting and dieting.

I had to start from scratch there. I did my research and spend 3 years+ experimenting on what works and what does not. I respect your opinion. I would ask that you respect others as well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A pic of me (4th from the left) standing next to Matt Dryke while training for the 1980 Olympics.

Congratulations!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Question for the keto gurus. What do you eat on a 10 day back country backpack hunt? Suppose you're hunting 8-10 days or so. Most mountain house and granola bars have a fair bit of carbs. Will eating that for 10 days mess up the ketosis metabolism thing or can you get right back after the hunt. Do you do okay switching to carbs for energy on a hunt? I can't see carrying enough meat and veggies for a 10 day hunt. Maybe there's opportunity for a business. Keto mountain house?

Water, Minerals, and a little Protein and Fat.

Your body will provide the rest.

Simple as that.

Think of all the things hikers spend tons of $money on... to save a coupls oz.'s of weight.

And then look at the 20 lbs. of sprung weight not carried - because of a healthy Human diet.

- Dried Beef/chicken
- canned sardines (in water)
- Boiled eggs (wax coated)
- Olives/Olive oil

On keto, you don't have to eat to begin with, just maintain your hydration and electrolytes.

And you don't get hungry, either, not like a High-starch/Processed Sugar diet. (withdrawals)

So a little Human food goes a long way.

Eight-Million years... and counting.

GR

Interesting. Thanks.

The Human body, on ketosis, does not distinguish between dietary and stored fat.

It is simply tank "B."

Seamless, once the body is acclimated to the process.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Longbob
Takes a little while for the Human body to adapt... back.

Stored Fat - is the nutritional conex box of the body, for storing vitamins and minerals as well as fat.

Problem is, the high-starch/sugar diet produces a lot of crap and toxins as well, and they also get stored with the fat, turning it into a dumpster.

And when accessed during ketosis or fasting, stored fat includes the crap you stored with it.

Generally called the "keto flu."

Takes up to two weeks, depending on what shape the body was in to begin with.

Sounds like some anti-inflammatory metabolic benefits.

Look into chelated minerals, along with potassium salt and magnesium, which support hydration, including lung function.

For a body that's generally fit - 60 days is a reasonable conversion window.

For a mess - 90 days is probably the minimum.

It works if you work it.

GR

Keto flu was one of the worst I have ever felt for about a day or so the first time I went through it. It was like decades worth of toxins were released all at once. I do get a semi metallic taste in my mouth, but not the bad breath that I have noticed. I guess it is because I brush my teeth quite a bit for both oral health and it oddly helps me curb some sweet cravings I will have at times. We all find our little tricks.

I monitor my ketosis on a daily basis. The blow meter makes it very easy and economical. Sometimes the feeling in my eyeballs will be a decent indicator for me. The feel like they are being sucked back into my head a little if I am in moderate or large. At least that is what I think it feels like. Odd, I know.

If one can accurately assess daily consumption of < 20 g. Net Carbs, and is active?

The problem solves itself.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Question for the keto gurus. What do you eat on a 10 day back country backpack hunt? Suppose you're hunting 8-10 days or so. Most mountain house and granola bars have a fair bit of carbs. Will eating that for 10 days mess up the ketosis metabolism thing or can you get right back after the hunt. Do you do okay switching to carbs for energy on a hunt? I can't see carrying enough meat and veggies for a 10 day hunt. Maybe there's opportunity for a business. Keto mountain house?

Water, Minerals, and a little Protein and Fat.

Your body will provide the rest.

Simple as that.

Think of all the things hikers spend tons of $money on... to save a coupls oz.'s of weight.

And then look at the 20 lbs. of sprung weight not carried - because of a healthy Human diet.

- Dried Beef/chicken
- canned sardines (in water)
- Boiled eggs (wax coated)
- Olives/Olive oil

On keto, you don't have to eat to begin with, just maintain your hydration and electrolytes.

And you don't get hungry, either, not like a High-starch/Processed Sugar diet. (withdrawals)

So a little Human food goes a long way.

GR

Interesting. Thanks.

The Human body, on ketosis, does not distinguish between dietary and stored fat.

It is simply tank "B."

Seamless, once the body is acclimated to the process.

GR

Tank "B" is a perfect analogy GR.

Anyone that tells you that your body burns muscle before fat are 1. Either lying to you intentionally or 2. Have no idea what they are talking about.

This is after Intermittent Fasting for over 40 plus years. In fact, I was Intermittent Fasting, before it was even called that!

KB

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Would you let me now which blow meter you are using?

Keto Pee sticks are a nuisance!

This is the one that I have been using. It is about $50.

Keto Meter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Keto Meter

Thank you kindly Longbob, do you like and trust it?

KB

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Keto Meter

You are welcome. I have compared it against the pee sticks and they seem to coincide very well. My target is medium on the stick which I seem to range between small and medium most of the time. The blow meter would be 5 to 15 on the readout that I think best matches where I stay comfortably.

The improvements that I notice in the mirror, blood test results, and how I feel confirm those readings from both methods. I do like the blow meter more than the sticks. The sticks seem to stick together and I have to futz with them and isn't as precise in my opinion plus they get expensive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Keto Meter

You are welcome. I have compared it against the pee sticks and they seem to coincide very well. My target is medium on the stick which I seem to range between small and medium most of the time. The blow meter would be 5 to 15 on the readout that I think best matches where I stay comfortably.

The improvements that I notice in the mirror, blood test results, and how I feel confirm those readings from both methods. I do like the blow meter more than the sticks. The sticks seem to stick together and I have to futz with them and isn't as precise in my opinion plus they get expensive.

Thanks man, I will order it today!

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
“The Hormonal Argument

For building muscle, testosterone is important. Fat intake is essential for healthy T levels since cholesterol, found primarily in animal products, serves as a precursor for testosterone production, among other things.

But fat isn't the only nutrient you need to maintain healthy testosterone levels. Carbs, specifically post-workout, have been shown to restore muscle glycogen, reduce cortisol levels, and improve testosterone levels.

Going deeper, you need to understand the role of glucose. Glucose from carbohydrates plays an important role in GnRH (gonadotropin releasing hormone) levels. Its secretion leads to other vital hormonal functions in the body. GnRH leads to the release of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH) – both of which are precursors to testosterone production.

So without enough carbs, these processes won't run like they should and you'll miss out on testosterone and forfeit muscle growth.

So what do studies show about testosterone when you jump on the ketogenic bandwagon? One, published in the European Journal of Applied Physiology, tested the differences between a low-carb diet (30 percent carbs) and a high carb diet (60 percent carbs) on T levels. The low-carb diet actually had a much higher percentage of carbs than what keto will allow, so it wasn't a true ketogenic diet.

The men were tested after four days on this protocol. The researchers found that the men on the higher carb diet had a greater release of testosterone-producing hormones.

Also, those on the low-carb diet had greater levels of cortisol – your body's stress hormone (4). How much higher would it have been if the men were on a true ketogenic diet with a much lower percentage of their intake coming from carbs?

Chronically high cortisol is a pure testosterone-killer. If your cortisol levels are elevated too high for too long, your testosterone will drop like a sack of soggy potatoes. And when your T levels drop, your body isn't in the optimal environment for building muscle.

Not only that, but when cortisol levels are elevated for too long, your body begins to store fat. So in this way, not only does the ketogenic diet prevent you from putting on as much muscle mass as you could, but it may also cause you to store more fat than you would on a standard moderate-high carb diet.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
“ Keto Slows Down Muscle Recovery

The most important part of building muscle is what you do after you train. When you work out, you break down muscle tissue and deplete glycogen stores in the muscle. In order for your muscles to grow, you need to fill those muscles back up with glucose.

That's where carbs come in. Carbs enhance the speed of muscle recovery and actually keep you from becoming catabolic. Catabolism is a fancy term for muscle loss. And the journal, Nutrition Today, shows that following up a workout with carbs is the surest way to prevent muscle loss from happening (5).

Your muscles need sufficient glycogen stores for energy so you can hit the weights as hard as possible. Without them, you'll fall short of what you're truly capable of achieving in the gym. You'll lift less weight, which means you'll also build less muscle.

Now, someone who's privy to the ketogenic diet will say, "Well, the point of keto is that your body uses ketone bodies for energy rather than carbs. Isn't it the same thing? You're still getting energy."

Though it's true your body will use a "secondary source" to supply energy to your body, it's just that – a secondary source. Ketosis is more like your body's defense mechanism. Your body prefers to use carbs for energy, especially when it comes to building muscle.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
“But That's Not the Worst Part

During periods when you don't have enough glucose, your body then makes glucose in the liver... out of your amino acids.

This process of the liver making glucose from amino acids is called gluconeogenesis. Think about that. Ketosis basically steals the building blocks of muscle to use for something other than, well, building muscle.

If you think that sounds like a good deal, then maybe the ketones have made you a little loopy already.

But wait, even after sucking precious muscle-building amino acids out of your liver, it gets even worse. Sometimes the source of amino acids that your body uses from energy comes straight from muscle tissue. That's right. If your body needs glucose, and you're depriving it, your body will mutiny and pillage muscle tissue just to give itself energy. You'll experience full-blown muscle breakdown (6).

That's the cost of eating keto... hours of blood, sweat, and tears in the gym. Doesn't sound worth it to me.

References

Vargas S et al. Efficacy Of Ketogenic Diet On Body Composition During Resistance Training In Trained Men. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2018 Jul 9;15(1):31.

Wroble KA et al. Low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet impairs anaerobic exercise performance in exercise-trained women and men: A randomized-sequence crossover trial. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2019 Apr;59(4):600-607

Phillips SM et al. Dietary protein for athletes: From requirements to optimum adaptation. J Sports Sci. 2011;29 Suppl 1:S29-38.

Lane AR et al. Influence of dietary carbohydrate intake on the free testosterone: Cortisol ratio responses to short-term intensive exercise training. Eur J Appl Physiol
. 2010 Apr;108(6):1125-31.

Kanter M. High-Quality Carbohydrates and Physical Performance. Nutr Today. 2018 Jan;53(1):35–39.

The Protein-Sparing Action Of Carbohydrates. JAMA. 1916;LXVII(17):1233.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
“ Keto Slows Down Muscle Recovery

The most important part of building muscle is what you do after you train. When you work out, you break down muscle tissue and deplete glycogen stores in the muscle. In order for your muscles to grow, you need to fill those muscles back up with glucose.

That's where carbs come in. Carbs enhance the speed of muscle recovery and actually keep you from becoming catabolic. Catabolism is a fancy term for muscle loss. And the journal, Nutrition Today, shows that following up a workout with carbs is the surest way to prevent muscle loss from happening (5).

Your muscles need sufficient glycogen stores for energy so you can hit the weights as hard as possible. Without them, you'll fall short of what you're truly capable of achieving in the gym. You'll lift less weight, which means you'll also build less muscle.

Now, someone who's privy to the ketogenic diet will say, "Well, the point of keto is that your body uses ketone bodies for energy rather than carbs. Isn't it the same thing? You're still getting energy."

Though it's true your body will use a "secondary source" to supply energy to your body, it's just that – a secondary source. Ketosis is more like your body's defense mechanism. Your body prefers to use carbs for energy, especially when it comes to building muscle.”

The Sugar diet - has one advantage over Keto+Fasting:

Performance Athletics.

Shovel in enough sugar, and one becomes a "Top Fuel Dragster."

More power, faster down the strip, runs out of gas, needs to be rebuilt for the next event, and eventually breaks down and gets replaced.

Useless - except for making Other People Money.

A "Ford GT," on the other hand?

Maybe 1/4 second slower in the 1/4 mile, but 65 mph faster, will run flat out for a coupla hundred miles without refueling, and 100's of Thousands of miles without mechanical issues - a Lifetime.

And that is Keto+Fasting.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

During periods when you don't have enough glucose, your body then makes glucose in the liver... out of your amino acids.

This process of the liver making glucose from amino acids is called gluconeogenesis. Think about that. Ketosis basically steals the building blocks of muscle to use for something other than, well, building muscle.

If you think that sounds like a good deal, then maybe the ketones have made you a little loopy already.

But wait, even after sucking precious muscle-building amino acids out of your liver, it gets even worse. Sometimes the source of amino acids that your body uses from energy comes straight from muscle tissue. That's right. If your body needs glucose, and you're depriving it, your body will mutiny and pillage muscle tissue just to give itself energy. You'll experience full-blown muscle breakdown (6).

That's the cost of eating keto... hours of blood, sweat, and tears in the gym. Doesn't sound worth it to me.

References

Vargas S et al. Efficacy Of Ketogenic Diet On Body Composition During Resistance Training In Trained Men. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2018 Jul 9;15(1):31.

Wroble KA et al. Low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet impairs anaerobic exercise performance in exercise-trained women and men: A randomized-sequence crossover trial. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2019 Apr;59(4):600-607

Phillips SM et al. Dietary protein for athletes: From requirements to optimum adaptation. J Sports Sci. 2011;29 Suppl 1:S29-38.

Lane AR et al. Influence of dietary carbohydrate intake on the free testosterone: Cortisol ratio responses to short-term intensive exercise training. Eur J Appl Physiol

Kanter M. High-Quality Carbohydrates and Physical Performance. Nutr Today. 2018 Jan;53(1):35–39.

And the Human body has been happily making Glucose out of proteins, in the Liver, for quite a while...

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s not a “sugar diet” or a “baby food diet”

It’s a diet rich in quality, complex carbohydrates

You don’t want to perform at a high level athletically?

It’s all about “skinny fat”?

LMFAO

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

References

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s not a “sugar diet” or a “baby food diet”

It’s a diet rich in quality, complex carbohydrates

You don’t want to perform at a high level athletically?

It’s all about “skinny fat”?

LMFAO

Rick...

Carbohydrates - are Folded, Bonded Sugar.

They generally require cooking to start the decomposition process - which classifies them as non-Human food, because Humans, and our non-ape ancestors, lived without cooking fire for well over Eight-Million years.

And when the body does eventually break down the starch into it's constituent parts - Sugar - it dumps All of it into the system at once.

This causes blood-suger spikes, as well as Fat accumulation.

Rock -> Gravel -> Sand... absorbed all at once.

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
“ The men were tested after four days on this protocol. The researchers found that the men on the higher carb diet had a greater release of testosterone-producing hormones.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
References

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

References

And the Human body has been happily making Glucose out of proteins, in the Liver, for quite a while...

GR

Page 68 of 257 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 256 257

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,409
Posts18,528,073
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.