P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by RinB
One other consideration.

I prefer to avoid lead core bullets. All the meat is sold or consumed with little waste. I am hesitant to expose anyone. Remember someone will be eating stuff that in the US is never utilized.

Has there been a problem of Africans getting lead poisoning from bullets in meat?

I doubt it is widespread, but I would not want my child eating lead fragments. If a premium bullet also reduces the chance an African child or mother will ingest lead, so much the better.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by pete53
i really appreciate all these post since i have never been to Africa ,this is helping a lot and tomorrow/Tuesday we send in what we wanna shoot and find out the price for each of us prices and the 4 in the party maybe some sort of discount. i know i wanna shoot a Kudu ,Impala , Zebra ,Wildebeest , Gemsbok , and what ever ?

That there is a good first time list.

If the PH says "that's a good warthog" then I suggest shoot it!

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
your mauser is to me to nice to take to Africa for fear of losing such a fine old rifle they don`t make replacements. that`s why i am taking a new Tikka this rifle means very little to me yes i will take care of the rifle ,but nice older rifles are just hard for me to ruin or lose . so if you hear i died there will be a great auction or garage sell someday probably.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
your mauser is to me to nice to take to Africa for fear of losing such a fine old rifle they don`t make replacements. that`s why i am taking a new Tikka this rifle means very little to me yes i will take care of the rifle ,but nice older rifles are just hard for me to ruin or lose . so if you hear i died there will be a great auction or garage sell someday probably.
That is a real consideration especially after reading the other guys story about how they jammed him up

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by mathman
30-06 + good bullet = busy skinners

Always a winning equation!

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by moosemike
That is a real consideration especially after reading the other guys story about how they jammed him up

Renting/borrowing a camp rifle may not be the worst idea either. Certainly cuts down on logistics and expense.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
i just checked rifle rent $80.00 a day with ammo . i bet the ammo sucks ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Have you guys seen what they actually eat in Africa? My god, pieces of lead are the least of their concerns. Considering it’s not uncommon for the trackers/villagers to cut up a bait impala that’s been hanging in a tree for 12 days and filled with maggots, then boil it, dry it, and eat it like it’s prime rib, Im pretty sure a little lead isn’t going to hurt them. There’s a reason covid didn’t ravage Africa like it did other places.

On another note, a 30-06 in Africa goes together like PB&J, like Bonnie and Clyde, like Adam and Eve, like hanky and panky, like fish and chips, like………. Well, you get the point. Take the f%&ken 30-06.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
And gee, on his first safari Ernest Hemingway managed to kill not only plenty of plains game with a .30-06, but "dangerous game" using iron sights and factory ammo--more than a decade before some guy in Oregon developed one of the first "premium" bullets....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I used the 30-06 with my handload using the 168 gr TSX in Namibia a bit ago and, of course, it worked very well.

Same load and outcome here.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of the standard cartridges don't even need premium bullets. A heavy cup and core works beautifully. I've taken all three of my Moose with C&C's

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, which is why the 180-grain .30-06 factory load has worked very well for a long time. But some very good big game bullets are made in RSA.

Regardless, an experienced PH isn't going to have you use ammo that doesn't work....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
PHs aren’t going to give you [bleep] ammo in a rental rifle. It just makes their follow up job tougher. I’ve used camp rifles on the last 10 safaris. No problems. I’ve taken croc, sable, kudu, gemsbok, wildebeest and lots of small stuff with a .30-06, all with no problems. Also no drama with multiple elephants, buffalo and hippo with larger calibers in camp rifles…. Use what you shoot best. A 30-06 is enough gun.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’m not sure the locals over there get nearly as wrapped around the axle about their ammo as we Americans do. I’ve seen more than one box of 308 ammo that had a few types of ammo mixed in. Even saw one guy (a PH) who had military style FMJ ammo mixed in. I asked him what it was for and he just said he shot whatever ammo he ended up with 😳. I asked if he hunted with it…. Still kind of in disbelief, and he just nodded yes!

Also talked to a different PH who strongly disliked partitions but spoke highly of plain Jane sierras. I know these guys see far more animals shot every season than I will see in many years, but it did leave me a bit boggled by it all.

Was also in a camp where a Russian gentleman showed up to kill a buffalo, naturally curios I asked one of the PH’s what rifle/ ammo combo the guy brought along. The PH said he didn’t know! Again I was a bit perplexed. I did see a box of that clients ammo and wish I could remember what the load was but I do remember thinking it wasn’t what i personally would have picked. That guy ended up loosing his buffalo. My PH asked me if I’d like to go kill it if we could find it but we never got the chance.

About the only thing that is a constant that I can tell is that if a client shows up with a 308 or 30-06 and a Barnes bullet or A frame the guides are all happy!

The PH I talked to that didn’t like partitions said they ruined too much meat…but I bet they only knew that from all the recovered game!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Benbo
I’m not sure the locals over there get nearly as wrapped around the axle about their ammo as we

The PH I talked to that didn’t like partitions said they ruined too much meat…but I bet they only knew that from all the recovered game!

Well, yeah--but one of the things about more than one Africa country is most of the meat's sold commercially. This is true both in both South Africa and Namibia.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by plumbum
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by RinB
One other consideration.

I prefer to avoid lead core bullets. All the meat is sold or consumed with little waste. I am hesitant to expose anyone. Remember someone will be eating stuff that in the US is never utilized.

Has there been a problem of Africans getting lead poisoning from bullets in meat?
Most ingested elemental lead passes thru the gut, isn't absorbed. A small amount theoretically could be turned into organic lead compounds by stomach acid and absorbed. It would take a lot of ingested lead metal over time to show up in blood levels.

Organic lead compounds are toxic, elemental lead metal, not so much.

DF

The issue with birds is that the lead ends up in the gizzard, where lead fragments persist as they are slowly ground away. That's what they say, at least.
Yeah, with birds, it's not just thru the gut and out, Lead gets in their gizzard, is ground up as part of their digestive process. I guess thru that process, some metallic lead gets turned into organic lead compounds and thus toxic.

With the trends we see on going about the environment, etc., don't be surprised if lead is eventually outlawed for all game hunting. We're not there yet, but who knows. Hysteria and the agenda win out over reason and logic, more times than not.

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I’m not sure the locals over there get nearly as wrapped around the axle about their ammo as we

Well, yeah--but one of the things about more than one Africa country is most of the meat's sold commercially. This is true both in both South Africa and Namibia.
Would it be possible to take the choice portions of meat for personal consumption instead of leaving it?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
30-06 with 180gr TSX and you'll be fine on everything except maybe giraffe. That would require a head-shot.

My new favorite bullets are the new Speer Grand Slams in the black factory box. In the last couple of years, I've taken somewhere around 40-45 head from zebra (mountain and plains), blue w/b, gemsbok, impala, springbok etc. Only recovered a couple.

Regarding, "Would it be possible to take the choice portions of meat for personal consumption instead of leaving it? ". If you asking about consuming it there, yes. Most places/camps, you'll be eating nothing but game meat, most likely from what you've taken. If you talking about bringing it out of the country and into the US, that's illegal. Same goes for trying to bring back biltong, even if it is commercially packaged and store bought or purchased at the airport. Seen a number of guys get popped for it coming thru baggage claim/Customs over the years.

Last edited by M3taco; 08/08/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Its kinda a pain to bring rifles over, but I'd rather use my own and one I'm familiar with.

I've used a few over there and the triggers were awful and just so so scopes. Did shoot a monster warthog with an old converted mauser in .243 that I would have loved to call my own.

You can do the paper work yourself, or its about a hundred bucks plus your travel case, if you don't have one.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Would it be possible to take the choice portions of meat for personal consumption instead of leaving it?

Generally the safari operators use some of the choicer cuts to feed their clients, and some of the rest goes to the camp staff. Whether the rest actually gets sold depends on how far the hunt takes place from a butcher shop and/or restaurants.
If it's a long way, much of the meat gets dried into biltong in camp, and then either sold or used by the PH, camp workers, etc.

Once rode back from a tent-safari camp in Botswana's Okavango Delta on the high-seat of a Land Cruiser next to a bag of biltong as large as a 55-gallon drum.

It's not legal to bring meat from Africa into the U.S. unless its dried then sealed in plastic, or canned.

John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,524
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.