B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RinB
Scotty
It is relatively easy to “bulletproof” those mounts. Actually they are among my favorites after doing this simple modification.
Remember they were designed in the pre-cnc days when outside dimensions of receivers were not consistent.
So use a scope that is centered optically. I have an ancient Weaver steel tube 4x that is used for this purpose. Mount in rings. Use bore collimator and adjust windage with rear screws. Tighten appropriately. Then remove scope and lap as usual. Reinstall scope and satisfy yourself that nothing has moved. THEN THE IMPORTANT STEP; have Kevin Weaver sink an 8-30 or 10-40 hardened screw down thru the bottom of the rear ring into the rear base which, with the windage screws it is now bombproof as well as centered. At the same time remove any part of the rear ring that covers the base holes so that you can tighten w/o ever disassembling the rear unit. Perfect!
If you are a wacknut, as am I, then have the front hit with a TIG from underneath.

Never thought of doing that Rick. Thank you.

Semper Fi
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Scotty
Have been doing this modification since 1977. My old Kennedy Burgess G33/40 has never moved. It has been thru many difficult rough hunts. And three barrels!
Best to you
R

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smallfry
Split on building a 7mm rem mag or 7 PRC. 23”

Hard to beat a 7 Rem in my book. Lotsa easy ammo to buy and ton's of great components out there as well.

Semper Fi
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Went back out to check 70 and 70.5 again

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

70 was the winner by a skosh when I went back and put the 4th shot on target. It'll hunt..

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by smallfry
Split on building a 7mm rem mag or 7 PRC. 23”

Hard to beat a 7 Rem in my book. Lotsa easy ammo to buy and ton's of great components out there as well.
Agreed, while it’s intriguing to me to go PRC, chambered and twisted right, the 7mag will do.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What stock is on the LH M70?

Hal

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by RinB
Scotty
It is relatively easy to “bulletproof” those mounts. Actually they are among my favorites after doing this simple modification.
Remember they were designed in the pre-cnc days when outside dimensions of receivers were not consistent.
So use a scope that is centered optically. I have an ancient Weaver steel tube 4x that is used for this purpose. Mount in rings. Use bore collimator and adjust windage with rear screws. Tighten appropriately. Then remove scope and lap as usual. Reinstall scope and satisfy yourself that nothing has moved. THEN THE IMPORTANT STEP; have Kevin Weaver sink an 8-30 or 10-40 hardened screw down thru the bottom of the rear ring into the rear base which, with the windage screws it is now bombproof as well as centered. At the same time remove any part of the rear ring that covers the base holes so that you can tighten w/o ever disassembling the rear unit. Perfect!
If you are a wacknut, as am I, then have the front hit with a TIG from underneath.
I don't know why I never thought of screwing the rear ring to the base. I'll confess to being a little embarrassed. Luckily, given my mature mental state, I'll be able to forget this whole thread. If the memory resurfaces, I'll think it was my idea! GD

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Since this gun doesn't have anything fancy for optics, it'll get the old 3" at 100 yard zero which should be on at about 300 and easily usable to 400 without too much guesswork. Maybe even 500 if I get my crap together and see where the thick part of the duplex hits..

Good luck wearing the ADG out Chuck. It's tougher than woodpecker lips. Hope the Peterson is close.

Assuming the pictured Leupold is a 2.5-8, the duplex intersection should be 5.3MOA @ 8x.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by HalH
What stock is on the LH M70?

Hal

Hal, I’ll answer for PF76, I believe it’s an Echols Legend made by McMillan.

Originally Posted by horse1
Since this gun doesn't have anything fancy for optics, it'll get the old 3" at 100 yard zero which should be on at about 300 and easily usable to 400 without too much guesswork. Maybe even 500 if I get my crap together and see where the thick part of the duplex hits..

Good luck wearing the ADG out Chuck. It's tougher than woodpecker lips. Hope the Peterson is close.

Assuming the pictured Leupold is a 2.5-8, the duplex intersection should be 5.3MOA @ 8x.

Thanks Horse. I’ll check it out.

Semper Fi
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 17,981 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,839
Posts18,537,220
Members74,047
Most Online19,248
15 seconds ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.