-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to tow a 27ft travel trailer with a Dodge Dakota. it's all about setup, I put Cam Lock load equalizers on it as I knew any amount of sway would be a bad ride. I also did not run over 65 with it either.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've never used it but my Dodge 2500 has a gooseneck hitch. Has anyone used one of these Andersen adapters to pull a 5th wheel with a gooseneck hitch? How well do they work?

[Linked Image from campingworld.com]

The group I camp with and ride SxS's with plus my neighbor uses them. That is about 9 of them. They all swear by them. I know unhooking and hooking up in the mountains is a piece of cake for them.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've never used it but my Dodge 2500 has a gooseneck hitch. Has anyone used one of these Andersen adapters to pull a 5th wheel with a gooseneck hitch? How well do they work?

[Linked Image from campingworld.com]

These work GREAT!!!!

Used one to pull my 33 foot three slide up to our campground. I sold it with the trailer and got a 29 foot bumper tow, which I prefer for my purposes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
A half-ton truck pulling an oversized RV or toy trailer? No way!!!!! Except it's the norm here in Colorado. Bunch of urban cowboy's that got convinced by their RV/toy dealer that their tow rating was actually accurate. See it all the time, some older model half-ton or SUV trying to pull a brand new $80,0000 camper and they can barely go 50 in a 65 - and that's on flat land. On a mountain pass they'll go 40. And worse, they refuse to pull over and let traffic by. They could have 100 cars behind them and seriously don't care. I honestly don't care if it's within the law, and they're right, it's 100% the definition of being a dick.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Passed this guy on the highway Saturday. From the looks of things, the hitch (still attached to the trailer) was bolted to the bed of the truck and not the frame. Either that, or it jerked it clean from the frame.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

simply put

Right tool for the job

Carry on

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
And just when you think you got 'er whipped with your dually, the frame breaks.

[Linked Image from thedrive.com]

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
For many years I wore out a new 1 ton and a 6 horse trailer every year.most anything will pull a trailer but most anything won't stop it.Rio7

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I bought a gmc 3500 for hauling the boats. Night and day difference between the 1 ton and the f150.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
My 2018 Ram 1/2 ton was rated for towing a fairly heavy load. 10-12k maybe? I had a trailer with some large and heavy 56mm bolts for a project that with the trailer, weighed close 10k with it one time. All was well until half way across Nevada the trailer brakes decided to no longer work. The powertrain will write checks the brakes couldn’t cash. It wasn’t much fun coming down some of those mountain passes on I-80 with that much weight! Had to gear it way down so I didn’t burn the brake pads off the truck. I can easily see how someone could pile it up if they weren’t careful pulling a large camp trailer. Mine weighs about 7800# empty.

I use my CTD to pull my travel trailer. It’s a lot heavier than a half ton and doesn’t get thrown around much by cross winds either.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Old rules, use the same gear to go down the mountain as you used to go up the mountain. Rio7

Last edited by RIO7; 08/08/23.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Drive 70 MPH on I-20 and you'll get ya a ss run over! Even by the school buses and garbage trucks!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I counted three posts that had the temerity to suggest (and one that sort of said) that people should not drive vehicles to the full speed of which they are capable. How can anyone be so un-American?!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive

He was overloaded before he added the motorcycle on the back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That photo prompts a chuckle or three - comical circumstance - although no fun for the one trying to get it home. Probably more than one factor there, including the weight/strength of the frame rails - but sure looks like a high % of the load too far back on a shorter bed. Maybe a fat relative was in the rear bathroom when it went.

Thinking about that situation - do you suppose a resourceful fellow or two could jack that camper up and do other things to get the whole rig rather straight again and then weld some gussets onto the frame - at least enough to get home taking it easy?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
That photo prompts a chuckle or three - comical circumstance - although no fun for the one trying to get it home. Probably more than one factor there, including the weight/strength of the frame rails - but sure looks like a high % of the load too far back on a shorter bed. Maybe a fat relative was in the rear bathroom when it went.

Thinking about that situation - do you suppose a resourceful fellow or two could jack that camper up and do other things to get the whole rig rather straight again and then weld some gussets onto the frame - at least enough to get home taking it easy?

If I recall correctly, that happened in Baja, you can bet the Mexicans welded, ratchet strapped and duct tape that thing together for 500 peso's and sent him down the road.... wink

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a 2,800 lb boat and like the fact that I have a 3/4 ton diesel.

I see people pulling too much quite often too. But then there is the other side of the coin. Some people don't think you can tow at all without a big diesel truck. A 2800 lb boat can be pulled by most anything. Boats have less tongue weight, and most don't catch wind like a travel trailer.

The back story on the broken dually Dodge. The guy didn't read the specs carefully enough. His camper was well within the payload. Of an 8' regular cab. But the shorter bed combined with a crew cab had much less capability and he was way overloaded for that truck.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I see some lunker 5th wheel campers rolling down the highway. Huge suckers.

What do those big versions weigh?

A pretty heavy load of cows in a 5th wheel stock trailer would be around 22k pounds(gross trailer weight).

Enough of a load on flat highway where I wouldn't want to go over 65-70mph in good conditions.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I wish my 24 footer had a third axle.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm recently seeing ~30 ft or more camper trailers being pulled by SUV's.
That just flat out scares me.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by CCCC

That's what I was thinking.
If that didn't work, then maybe a couple of jacks on the ends of the frame would do it.
Then weld temporary gussets and repair anything else that got tweeked.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1_deuce, 117LBS, 1lessdog, 1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 14,363 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,290
Posts18,545,223
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.