Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KillerBee
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Killer, how did that bomber ever get off the ground with all those guys piled on top?

Last edited by SupFoo; 08/07/23.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
All the POW's in Japanese prison camps in SE Asia would have been executed as the Japanese retreated, had the A-bombs not been dropped. And it would be a blood-bath with massive casualties for Allied troops when they did invade Japan, were it not for the bomb. I'm extremely proud of those who contributed to the dropping of the bomb..."thank you".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Killer, how did that bomber ever get off the ground with all those guys piled on top?

They were all fed Beans and farting in unison for Jet Propulsion in them days, we have come a long way since then lol

Last edited by KillerBee; 08/07/23.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KillerBee

They were all fed Beans and farting in unison for Jet Propulsion in them days, we have come a long way since then lol

Oh. I thought maybe it was a pic of the U.S. evacuation from Afghanistan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This May Surprise a Few People

Hiroshima, Nagasaki Bombings Were Needless, Said World War II's Top US Military Leaders

The anniversaries of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki present an opportunity to demolish a cornerstone myth of American history — that those twin acts of mass civilian slaughter were necessary to bring about Japan’s surrender, and spare a half-million US soldiers who’d have otherwise died in a military conquest of the empire’s home islands.

Those who attack this mythology are often reflexively dismissed as unpatriotic, ill-informed or both. However, the most compelling witnesses against the conventional wisdom were patriots with a unique grasp on the state of affairs in August 1945 — America’s senior military leaders of World War II.

Let’s first hear what they had to say, and then examine key facts that led them to their little-publicized convictions:

General Dwight Eisenhower on learning of the planned bombings: “I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and voiced to [Secretary of War Stimson] my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of ‘face’.”

Admiral William Leahy, Truman's Chief of Staff: “The use of this barbarous weapon…was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons.”

Major General Curtis LeMay, 21st Bomber Command: “The war would have been over in two weeks without the Russians entering and without the atomic bomb…The atomic bomb had nothing to do with the end of the war at all.”

General Hap Arnold, US Army Air Forces: “The Japanese position was hopeless even before the first atomic bomb fell, because the Japanese had lost control of their own air.” “It always appeared to us that, atomic bomb or no atomic bomb, the Japanese were already on the verge of collapse.”

Ralph Bird, Under Secretary of the Navy: “The Japanese were ready for peace, and they already had approached the Russians and the Swiss…In my opinion, the Japanese war was really won before we ever used the atom bomb.”

Brigadier General Carter Clarke, military intelligence officer who prepared summaries of intercepted cables for Truman: “When we didn’t need to do it, and we knew we didn’t need to do it…we used [Hiroshima and Nagasaki] as an experiment for two atomic bombs. Many other high-level military officers concurred.”

Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz, Pacific Fleet commander: “The use of atomic bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender.”

According to his pilot, General Douglas MacArthur, commander of US Army Forces Pacific, was “appalled and depressed by this Frankenstein monster.”

“When I asked General MacArthur about the decision to drop the bomb,” wrote journalist Norman Cousins, “I was surprised to learn he had not even been consulted…He saw no military justification for the dropping of the bomb. The war might have ended weeks earlier, he said, if the United States had agreed, as it later did anyway, to the retention of the institution of the emperor.”

Much More, Continued Here - ZeroHedge

If that is so, why didn't they give up immediately after the first one.
If some guy is kicking my ass all over the place, the only thing I see are his
fists in my eyes, then his big brother who is a professional boxer hops in, hits
me and asks me if I want to stop?

Ugh, yeah!
That might be a good idea.

Giving credence to the above, I'm still glad we did it.

We had nuclear weapons.
The Germans and Japs were working on them, if Russia wasn't they soon would have.

Nuclear bombs are too cool a toy to not be played with.
Consider all the dumbass ideas back then. The tactical nukes, artillery nukes,
suitcase nukes....

We used two on an enemy that couldn't respond in kind.
Everyone got to see the results and were horrified.

If we hadn't, there is a damn good chance a susseding war would have seen nuclear
weapons used. Probably by both sides.

Korea?
China and Russia had their fingers in the pie.
The stage would have been set.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Only one POTUS never had a college degree, guess who?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sure payback for Pearl Harbor, might have been in the thought process of making the decision.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
WWII, We listened to the war news at night, on a Philco Radio, my Grandfather and Grand mother Hated FDR, the whole complexion of the War changed when Truman became POTUS, Truman was not a excuse making Commie like FDR, he put a sign on his desk ( The Buck Stops here) Truman was a combat vet from WWI,blue collar guy from Missouri, not a elite Harvard type from a wealthy yankee family the liberal press hated him he would call them on their B.S.
I have never voted for a Dimocrap, in my life but if i had been old enough to vote i would have voted for Truman. " The only way you can become wealthy in politics is be a CROOK" Quote Harry S. Truman Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[b][/b]
Originally Posted by RIO7
WWII, We listened to the war news at night, on a Philco Radio, my Grandfather and Grand mother Hated FDR, the whole complexion of the War changed when Truman became POTUS, Truman was not a excuse making Commie like FDR, he put a sign on his desk ( The Buck Stops here) Truman was a combat vet from WWI,blue collar guy from Missouri, not a elite Harvard type from a wealthy yankee family the liberal press hated him he would call them on their B.S.
I have never voted for a Dimocrap, in my life but if i had been old enough to vote i would have voted for Truman. " The only way you can become wealthy in politics is be a CROOK" Quote Harry S. Truman Rio7

Sure a lot of wealthy politicians these days.....

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RIO7

I have read where Truman was owned by the mob back in MO, and not a stand up or reputable man.

I don't know the truth of it, and am not old enough to be emotionally invested in him one way or the other.

MAGA
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Read D-Day In The Pacific and With the Old Breed by Sledge for a perspective on the hatred for the Japs in the PTO.

After reading those I could understand why some carried that anger the rest of their lives.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Most of the quotes in the OP are about Japan already having been defeated and that was true. It's true that they couldn't possibly win but they were controlled by Bushido war lords. For them, it was win or die and they were ready to die and take millions of people with them. Yes, they were defeated but they kept on fighting. They wouldn't quit until they were all dead.
It's still debated about how much say the emperor had in it. It's known that he was against the war from the beginning and certainly against their alliance with Hitler. However, he didn't have control of the military. After the bombs, he finally grew a pair and stood up to stop it, probably saving a few million more lives.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This May Surprise a Few People

Hiroshima, Nagasaki Bombings Were Needless, Said World War II's Top US Military Leaders

The anniversaries of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki present an opportunity to demolish a cornerstone myth of American history — that those twin acts of mass civilian slaughter were necessary to bring about Japan’s surrender, and spare a half-million US soldiers who’d have otherwise died in a military conquest of the empire’s home islands.

Those who attack this mythology are often reflexively dismissed as unpatriotic, ill-informed or both. However, the most compelling witnesses against the conventional wisdom were patriots with a unique grasp on the state of affairs in August 1945 — America’s senior military leaders of World War II.

Let’s first hear what they had to say, and then examine key facts that led them to their little-publicized convictions:

General Dwight Eisenhower on learning of the planned bombings: “I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and voiced to [Secretary of War Stimson] my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of ‘face’.”

Admiral William Leahy, Truman's Chief of Staff: “The use of this barbarous weapon…was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons.”

Major General Curtis LeMay, 21st Bomber Command: “The war would have been over in two weeks without the Russians entering and without the atomic bomb…The atomic bomb had nothing to do with the end of the war at all.”

General Hap Arnold, US Army Air Forces: “The Japanese position was hopeless even before the first atomic bomb fell, because the Japanese had lost control of their own air.” “It always appeared to us that, atomic bomb or no atomic bomb, the Japanese were already on the verge of collapse.”

Ralph Bird, Under Secretary of the Navy: “The Japanese were ready for peace, and they already had approached the Russians and the Swiss…In my opinion, the Japanese war was really won before we ever used the atom bomb.”

Brigadier General Carter Clarke, military intelligence officer who prepared summaries of intercepted cables for Truman: “When we didn’t need to do it, and we knew we didn’t need to do it…we used [Hiroshima and Nagasaki] as an experiment for two atomic bombs. Many other high-level military officers concurred.”

Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz, Pacific Fleet commander: “The use of atomic bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender.”

According to his pilot, General Douglas MacArthur, commander of US Army Forces Pacific, was “appalled and depressed by this Frankenstein monster.”

“When I asked General MacArthur about the decision to drop the bomb,” wrote journalist Norman Cousins, “I was surprised to learn he had not even been consulted…He saw no military justification for the dropping of the bomb. The war might have ended weeks earlier, he said, if the United States had agreed, as it later did anyway, to the retention of the institution of the emperor.”

Much More, Continued Here - ZeroHedge

I'm seeing a lot of assertions and few citations there. IOW, he is saying this or that leader didn't think the bombs were necessary, but he backs it up with few books, articles, interviews or speeches as proof. Color me skeptical.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A million chinks changed MacArthur's opinion on Frankenstein.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All this "coulda woulda shoulda" talk is nonsense. We have forgotten that you fight a war to destroy your enemy. Not just to put a checkmark in the "win" box.

There are tens if not hundreds of thousands of people alive today because their parents or grandparents were not killed in the invasion of Japan. Living people on both sides. Argue all you want, but the war ended almost immediately after those two bombs. That's fact, not supposition.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
All this "coulda woulda shoulda" talk is nonsense. We have forgotten that you fight a war to destroy your enemy. Not just to put a checkmark in the "win" box.

There are tens if not hundreds of thousands of people alive today because their parents or grandparents were not killed in the invasion of Japan. Living people on both sides. Argue all you want, but the war ended almost immediately after those two bombs. That's fact, not supposition.

Well said Rocky, agree totally....Im probably one of those as my Grandfather was an island hopping Marine who most certainly would have been in the early waves of any invasion. He also expressed numerous times without going into much detail the absolute barbarity of the Japs. Carried a hatred of them the remainder of his life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

AMEN RockyRaab!

That was my point exactly, good American and Canadian men didn't die thanks to Truman's executive decision to end it then and there.

Last edited by KillerBee; 08/08/23.

KB

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Poof.....
Space Ghosted in a milli second.
Sucks to have been them I geuss.
We Win....
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have a picture in a box somewhere of me and Tibbits standing together, can not find crap since we moved. Tibbits was the pilot of the Enola Gay in case you do not know. I met him in Oklahoma.

Told him I was damned proud of him and that what he did was necessary to save many more lives than it took.

The Japanese military had no intention of surrender, ever. Island after island only dozens were ever captured on any island, usually only if unconscious. The code of Bushido held that to surrender made you less than human. If you were raised in the code and believed in the code, you never surrendered.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hell, even after the emperor decided to surrender there was an attempt by a military faction to kidnap him and prevent it. They weren't ready to surrender and even if it was being considered dropping those two bombs allowed Hirohito to focus on what was going to happen if he didn't.

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 270cowboy, 43 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.