Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by SS336
Striped burrfish.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

What is that?

Striped burrfish. Weird bugger for sure. Caught on a Clouser fishing for Redfish. A bit of a disappointment. 😁

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
When I was a kid a bunch of us were camped out on the Fourche river north of town. We were drinking pretty heavy and decided we would fish a little with night crawlers. One of the guys caught what we thought was a 2 1/2 pound catfish. He swung it around and landed it on the bank and it raised up on 4 legs and ran down the bank and jumped back in. He pulled it back out and we shined a light on it and it was a huge salamander. We cut the line and let it go. It was an Ozark Hellbender. Protected species and rare. I have seen one other one in my life. It scared the heck out of us when the catfish took off on 4 legs in the moonlight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
When I was a kid a bunch of us were camped out on the Fourche river north of town. We were drinking pretty heavy and decided we would fish a little with night crawlers. One of the guys caught what we thought was a 2 1/2 pound catfish. He swung it around and landed it on the bank and it raised up on 4 legs and ran down the bank and jumped back in. He pulled it back out and we shined a light on it and it was a huge salamander. We cut the line and let it go. It was an Ozark Hellbender. Protected species and rare. I have seen one other one in my life. It scared the heck out of us when the catfish took off on 4 legs in the moonlight.
Never caught one but I've seen hellbenders in Wva trout fishing a few times. Kinda wild looking, one evening at dark we were leaving and a friend of mine picked up his stringer with a hellbender hanging off one of his trout.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
clam - Like the above, I figure that it was open and the hook dragged across it.

set of various-sized rusty tin cans all wired together - We figured that they had once been attached to the car of some newly-weds. Thought I really had something the way it fought coming in.

dead carp (mud-encrusted) - I had spun up a bait-caster with a red and white Dardevle attached to the line. When it settled to the bottom as I un-nested the reel, it must have dropped right on the open mouth of the carp.

Last edited by 5sdad; 09/03/23.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't know what it was but I saw several hellbenders in Mississippi years ago. I was pretty freaked out. It was years before I found out what they were.

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I never found much. However, I fish a lake called Lake Winnebago and fish the south end . A man that fished it all his life , lives in Fond Du Lac ,one day pulled something up to find it was a flintlock muzzleloader . The wood was almost all rotten but the steel was in one piece.. The flint was still stuck in it . Not sure but was likely there for 200 yrs. I think you can google up the picture .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ihookem
I never found much. However, I fish a lake called Lake Winnebago and fish the south end . A man that fished it all his life , lives in Fond Du Lac ,one day pulled something up to find it was a flintlock muzzleloader . The wood was almost all rotten but the steel was in one piece.. The flint was still stuck in it . Not sure but was likely there for 200 yrs. I think you can google up the picture .
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Pretty cool story . It was on half cock and likely was ready to shoot it.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trolling a bottom-bouncer for walleyes and thought I snagged. But it started to come up and ended up being about a 30 pound log. The log had someone else's broken off rig on it. So I unhooked it off the log to keep it. Started rolling up at he line that was attached to the rig so some critter wouldn't get tangled up in it. Kept rolling and rolling and rolling then here comes the end guide of a nice Shakespeare rod & Shimano reel up out of the water.

They both cleaned up well and I still have and use them to this day.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Look at the barrel length on that thing.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rubber on a downriver. Big fight....lol

living the good life every day
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I think they "fished", clams on the Mississippi River for buttons.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Some of these really funny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was surf fishing for steelhead last weekend and had a seagull fly into one of my lines and get slightly tangled. Seagull went into the water still tangled and I started swinging my rod tip around trying to free him. Eventually things unraveled and he flew off and I kept fishing.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Catching birds starting to become popular

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I was surf fishing for steelhead last weekend and had a seagull fly into one of my lines and get slightly tangled. Seagull went into the water still tangled and I started swinging my rod tip around trying to free him. Eventually things unraveled and he flew off and I kept fishing.

Had this happen decades ago on the Outer Banks.

Was casting into the surf with one rod while I had a cut bait with a sinker off a rod that was standing up in a 5 gallon bucket. Seagull comes flying low up the beach with its legs hanging down. It hit the line between the standing rod and the water and flipped round and round, tail over tincups and was hanging there upside down flapping like a mother. It undid itself before I could get over to offer assistance.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by wabigoon
not really fished, drag bars with balled hooks

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I’ve caught a couple nice size freshwater clams using flies.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by wabigoon
not really fished, drag bars with balled hooks

Here in Tn they were special boats and the "brailed" for mussels.That cloed out in the 70's they dive now.

Not exactly PADI or OHSA approved equipment!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
‘Caught’ a bat with a 6” Rapala while fishing at night for browns on the Upper Delaware River.
Was there when a salmon angler fishing on the high wall behind the Post Office foul hooked a beaver in the Oswego River. The beaver made quite a run downstream.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,333
Posts18,487,621
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.