Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That author of the elk hunting book knows that almost all elk are taken with well placed shots well under 300 yards.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
... I'm no great killer of elk, to say the least, but in my limited hunting experience the furthest I've killed a critter is about 125 yards.

However, I've burned a LOT of powder and gasoline and time and money and internet bytes, practicing and preparing for and researching and obsessing over longer shots! I'd guess that's pretty typical.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
That's interesting to see Jamisons' list using 1500ft/lbs.. Boddington, in his book "American Hunting Rifles" on page 311 states his opinion that 2000 ft/lbs is HIS minimum energy for elk. He does go on to state that "sensible minimums" were the .270Win., .280Rem and even the 7x57. So his distance using 2000ft/lbs would be a lot shorter.
However, he has backed off a bit in the last couple of years.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Placement, placement, placement.

Take a .308 Win and a well-placed bullet and its good well past 300 yards. Blow your shot and it won't matter what you use.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/02/07.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you are honest and have a measured 300 yards, the 308 does not have enough energy to put down a moose-elk type game, notwithstanding a lucky brain shot. check the ballistics, they will tell you.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
cdhunt,

Oh yeah, you're right, it's in the ballistics tables.

Would you believe I have had others try to convince me the .45/70 is barely suitable for deer because ballistics tables to them so? I guess no one ever exposed them to the fact that the .45/70 will take every animal that walks, elephants included!

God, how did our progenitors get by pre-magnum days? They had to be awfully darn dumb to think big game could be harvested with the likes of the .35 Remington and .300 Savage!

I guess I better sell my puny .308 Win and buy a .375 RUM before next muley season

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cdhunt
If you are honest and have a measured 300 yards, the 308 does not have enough energy to put down a moose-elk type game, notwithstanding a lucky brain shot. check the ballistics, they will tell you.

Totally tongue in cheek obviously, thx for the morning chuckle.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by cdhunt

Read my last signature line...

Splains it all...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Placement, placement, placement.

Take a .308 Win and a well-placed bullet and its good well past 300 yards. Blow your shot and it won't matter what you use.
Sounds like good, common-sense gun-gack to me!

Good for you, CH. wink

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by gmack
I don't think there's anthing wrong with recommending (for mass consumption) 2000fps and 1500 ft-lbs for elk. I do believe that bullet selection is more relevant for the 308 in elk camp than say my 300 RUM. Information like Jamisons informs the reader that more planning is prudent when selecting the 308. That's my take on it.

I would agree that setting parameters is a worthwhile endeavor. If someone understands ballistics enough to know that the parameters are arbitrary and why they are moveable, then they probably don't need the chart anyway.

However, I would have to disagree with your statement concerning bullet selection. The 308 will work with most any stout bullet owing to its lower velocity potential, while the 300 RUM might not.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Is the .308 a 300yd. elk cartridge?"

Not if you miss. If the shooter does hit part it works just fine.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/12/07.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
"Is the .308 a 300yd. elk cartridge?"

Not if you miss.

Ah, yep!

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
However, I would have to disagree with your statement concerning bullet selection. The 308 will work with most any stout bullet owing to its lower velocity potential, while the 300 RUM might not.

I was gonna mention that too, but ya beat me to it. More than half of the elk I've killed were under 100 yds in heavy timber. I'll take a .308 for that chore over a .300 ultra any day. I don't particularly care for shoulder jelly.

The longest shot I've ever made on a game animal--NM mulie @376 yds lazered--was with a .308. A bull elk would have been just as dead that day.

I knew a guy in MT that shot his elk every year with a 25-06--he had some impressive bulls hanging on his wall too--his wife used a 7x57. Go figure.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
As Socrates advocated, reasoned debate produces knowledge. After reading through the well thought-out contributions here, I have grown to appreciate the .308 Win even more!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

I was gonna mention that too, but ya beat me to it. More than half of the elk I've killed were under 100 yds....

Guys, remember we're talking about using the 308 to 300 yds. and beyond. So I'll defend my post; the 308 is not bullet sensitive at close range but at long range I believe it can be. I personally would not choose a Fail Safe or X bullet if I thought velocity might drop below 2000 fps. Go and find the "What I found in the game I gutted thread", quite a few unexpanded bullets.

I'd give my 300 RUM the opposite consideration. I would not choose a rapid expanding bullet type if I invisioned a 50 yd shot. I admit, my experience is largely from reading but I maintain that bullet performance at 300 yds as launched by a 308 requires more consideration at 300 yds than my RUM. There's no wrong bullet for a cartridge at 300 yards that is rated for 600 yards like the RUM. Similarly, virtually any hunting bullet will work in the 308 at 150 yards whereas it may not at 300 yards. If I'm wrong you can blame the gunwriters. smile

Last edited by gmack; 12/13/07. Reason: clarity
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
gmack,

Okay, I see where you're coming from. You were worried about 300 yards and beyond; I was thinking 100 yards and closer.

I agree that most bullets need about 2000fps remaining velocity to perform well. That becomes their longest effective distance for consistent terminal results. However, I still worry far more about a bullet blowing up at close range/high velocity, as I think most game is shot well under 300 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

I agree that most bullets need about 2000fps remaining velocity to perform well. That becomes their longest effective distance for consistent terminal results. However, I still worry far more about a bullet blowing up at close range/high velocity, as I think most game is shot well under 300 yards.

While I tend to agree in general, it�s definitely not true for fat bullets. A .45-70 pushing a 405g flat nose at 1330fps (Remington load) is surprisingly effective. A couple years ago I took a buck a d bull at 197 and 213 yards respectively, both with a .45-70 pushig a 350g bullet to 2183fps at the muzzle. Impact velocities calculate to be around 1592fps and 1539fps respectively.

The bullet passed completely through the buck on a quartering away shot. The bucked leaked buckets of blood in the fresh snow before laying down maybe 15 feet from where he was shot. The bull was hit broadside. The bullet passed through the left leg, entered the chest and came to rest on the far side. It obliterated a section of near-side leg bone obliterated a section of rib, and shattered a far-side rib. The bull never moved and after a few seconds toppled over sideways. The recovered bullet was fully expanded.

That said, when using little bullets like a .308� grin I generally prefer at least 2000fps on impact.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/13/07.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Gun writers make money by writing about guns. The .308 Winchester is the commercial "branding" of the 7.62x51 NATO round. The .308/7.62x51 has been around since the early 50s and I suspect there are at least a millions words written about the cartridge over the past 50 years when one considers its history of military and civilian use.

What I find amazing is that over the next 50 years, there probably will be more than a million words written about .308 and very little will actually say anything that has not be said before. There may be new bullets and powders and combinations and rifles, but the cartridge will still do nothing more or less than send a .30 caliber projectile out of the barrel of a firearm. Most of the writing, like most of gun writing, will be the endless rehashing of opinions.

If a shooter does his (or her) job, the .308 will kill elk consistently at 300 yards. These elk will be just as dead as if killed by a larger or smaller rile. If a .30 caliber bullet is properly placed and functions according to design, I suspect there will not be a meangingful difference in the kill percentage between the .308 and higher velocity .30 caliber cartridges. In other words, if you hit an elk in exactly the same place in the kill zone with a .30 caliber projectile, an additional few hundreds FPS on impact will not lead to any statistically significant difference in the kill percentage. Of course, this is an opinion because I have not shot a statistically significant number of elk at exactly 300 yards in exactly the same place.

What I find really amazing is that some folks can talk about rifles and cartridges for days on end when, in the over all scheme of things, a rifle is only a very small part of hunter performance or hunting success. For every animal killed by virtue of a bigger rifle I suspect there are 100 that are not killed cleanly by "operator failure." This includes a lack of practice or "flinch" by hunters using magnums with uncomfortable loadings in unfamiliar firearms. At the end of the day, the choice of a rifle and cartridge is mostly a matter of preference. Empirical lines drawn in the sand about velocity or foot pounds of energy are mostly just opinions in spreadsheet form. You might as well try to draw up a chart showing the numericial differences between love, lust and a passing infatuation.

I understand firearms can be a hobby just like baseball and that otherwise sane grown men can argue with intense passion over things like who was the better pitcher: Tom Seaver or Sandy Koufax (insert any other two Hall of Famers at your leisure). And some of these guys can quote Seaver's or Koufax' strike out percentages with men in scoring in position in night time away games against teams with four or more left handed batters. At the end of the day, there's no way to "prove" Koufax was better than Seaver (or vice versa) just as there's no way to prove the .308 is a 300-yard-elk cartridge. It is simply a conversation for folks who like baseball, or rifles, or elk hunting without any possibility of an outcome... not that that's bad, but it is what it is.

Hunting success is 90 percent hunter, 10 percent weapon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup.

You realize of course that sensible posts like yours should be required reading for some folks.

OTOH, you're takin' all the fun out of tossing gun gack around the internet! grin

And Koufax blew Seaver out of the water! grin grin grin

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So "new" and "the truth" and "a myth" are relative???? I'm so confused. I may have to go join up with MD's "other brother Darrel" for some sage advice before I fire another shot.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1minute, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,917
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.