24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 4
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 4
I picked up a '52 SC last year and this year found a '62 and '63 Texan model, all in 35 Rem. The Texan guns were made the year of mine and my brothers birth year.

I bought a case of factory ammo and loaded ammo for him. I've got them all set up and decided to sight them all in before I give him his for his birthday.

Seemed like a good day at the range.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pic upload

GB1

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,367
Likes: 13
B
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,367
Likes: 13
Excellent shooting!


Semper Fi
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 69
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 69
Nice shootin'. The 336 in 35 Remington was never as popular as the 30-30. Most hunters did not know how good the 35 is.

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,322
Likes: 25
B
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,322
Likes: 25
Originally Posted by retired3100
Nice shootin'. The 336 in 35 Remington was never as popular as the 30-30. Most hunters did not know how good the 35 is.
Some of us tried it and found the only thing it did better than our .30-30's was empty our wallet.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 4
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 4
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by retired3100
Nice shootin'. The 336 in 35 Remington was never as popular as the 30-30. Most hunters did not know how good the 35 is.
Some of us tried it and found the only thing it did better than our .30-30's was empty our wallet.

For me, the 35 doesn't have to be better than the 30-30. I now have two, simply because I wanted them. Same goes for the 32 WS.

IC B2

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,322
Likes: 25
B
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,322
Likes: 25
Originally Posted by aboltfan
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by retired3100
Nice shootin'. The 336 in 35 Remington was never as popular as the 30-30. Most hunters did not know how good the 35 is.
Some of us tried it and found the only thing it did better than our .30-30's was empty our wallet.

For me, the 35 doesn't have to be better than the 30-30. I now have two, simply because I wanted them. Same goes for the 32 WS.
You're welcome to my share. I now have three .30-30's and no .35's. I decided long ago that I prefer the cartridge that's easier to feed and kills just as well for half the money. It's called practicality. I like that in a cartridge. Apparently a lot of other folks do too, since the .30-30 has long been far more popular and remains so today.

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,549
Likes: 3
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,549
Likes: 3
Fine shooting Aboltfan. I've got an old ballard rifled Texan in 35 Remington thaat loves Sierra's 200 grain SP at 2150 fps. Three of them at 200 yards while dialing in the sights with Yeller dog photobomb.

[Linked Image from thesixgunjournal.net]


Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,745
Likes: 5
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,745
Likes: 5
Good shooting.

I also have two Marlins chambered in 35 Remington. Both love 200 gr. Core-Lokts but to be 100% honest, they shoot everything I feed them well.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 4
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 4
BH,

I've got 3 30-30s as well. One, a '56 Win. 94, that I killed my first deer with. A 7 pt. at the family farm in Varnado, La. the day after Thanksgiving 1975. Including other family, I'm loading for five 30-30s. I'm looking right now for another one for a nephew. If practicality were the only consideration, we as sportsmen would only need three long guns.

Sarge,.

Dang fine shooting with iron sights. Yeller dog looks like he is thinking, I knew you could do it. I had the SC first, I found the Texan and liked how it felt and handled. They feel like a 94 in the hand. I'm sure that's what Marlin was going for.

JDK,

I bought the SC first and thought I would sell it when I bought the Texan. I then realized I liked both enough that I wanted to keep both. The handload was originally worked up for the SC and that group was the first one shot with the '63 Texan after getting it dialed in. They do seem to want to shoot, a fact that's going to work for my brother. I'm giving him the case of handloaded ammo to go with his Texan. I had a single box of Rem. 200gr. CL that I used to get all three rifles on paper. From what I could tell, they all would have grouped well with that ammo too.

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,322
Likes: 25
B
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,322
Likes: 25
I think the .35 Rem. has got to be the most over rated cartridge out there. I can't count the times I read an article in a gun rag when I was a kid where the author stated enthusiastically that it was a better deer killer than the .30-30. Then I got one and started shooting deer with it expecting great things. Having already killed a bunch with a .30-30, it was then I realized those gun writers were full of shyt. Not only did it not put them down any quicker, my deer tended to run a little farther on average after a solid lung shot. If that weren't enough, it cost twice as much for ammo that was much harder to find on gun shop shelves and .358" bullets cost half again as much as .308" bullets for reloading. To say I was disappointed in the .35's performance would be an understatement. My dad didn't raise any fools and thankfully taught me the value of money and being practical. The .35 was sold and I've never regretted it or been tempted to buy another. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned. I've killed nearly 100 deer with my .30-30's since that .35 went down the road and have always been completely satisfied and content with it's performance.

IC B3

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 4
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 4
Happy for you. Happy you've been able to get that off your chest. Now that you've had your say, we who like the 35 Rem. can get back to sharing our guns and shooting.

Thanks.

Joined: Sep 2021
Posts: 3,070
Z
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Z
Joined: Sep 2021
Posts: 3,070
Looks like you found a pair of good shooting rifles.... should get the job done dandy 👍

Was that LVR/RN group a best of the bunch load, or intitial experimentation?

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 4
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 4
That load was made up for the SC model that I bought last year. It was the first load I tried out of it and I got five shot groups in the 1.5 in range. I'm not trying to make sniper rifles out of woods lever guns and so I called it good. I'll include a picture of that load fired from the SC below.

I bought the Texan model for my brother for his birthday and I'm giving him that case of hand loaded ammo to go with it. Fortunately, it also shot well in his gun. Where we hunt in Miss., there's rarely a shot over 100 yards, so he's good to go. Giving him that ammo became possible because my local dealer got in Hornady FTX ammo and I bought a case of it for $36 or 38.00 per box. Can't remember for sure.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,636
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,636
Originally Posted by aboltfan
Happy for you. Happy you've been able to get that off your chest. Now that you've had your say, we who like the 35 Rem. can get back to sharing our guns and shooting.

Thanks.


LOL, old BH. He's kind of "special" you know.

Have a couple of SC 35's from the 50's both ballard rifling that shoot well. Have a couple others that shoot 35 also. The places and the way I typically hunt 35 Remington works well.

Last edited by jeeper; 08/22/23. Reason: spell
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 4
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 4
Jeeper, for sure.

In the posting above is the picture from the ballard rifled SC and in the first post is the picture using the same load from the micro-groove Texan. I felt fortunate and pleased that it worked well out of both types of rifling.

Any deer seen where we hunt in Miss. are in danger with any of the three 35s!

Truth is, at my spots in Vermont and NH, they're just as good there.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 3,946
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 3,946
Dude everytime somebody posts about how much they like an old gun in 35 Remington,you seem to take it as a personal insult.

I can only add that I have 4 marlin 336s in 30-30 and three in 35 Remington and enjoy them all.

Two JM marlin 336C models in 30-30,as well two Remlin 30-30s. The Remlins are a 336T Deluxe,and Marlin 336 Dark that is factory threaded for a suppressor.All four are excelent guns.

The 35 remingtons are all JM guns and two are presafety rifles. Two of the 30-30s are scoped but all of the 35s have ghost ring reciever sights.

I prefer the 35s when guiding for hogs in thick cover. I have used the 200 grain round nose corelokt to kill a big mean wounded boar that was charging and intent on
bodliy harm of me or my client.

The big bullet did what it always does, stopped the charge and kiiled the boar. We were able to weigh this boar on scales and he weighed 292 pounds. The bullet went through the thick gristle plate and destroyed the vitals instantly killing the boar at less than 5 yards.

I can tell you from experience that the 35 kills as quickly in such situations as a good 45-70 load, and that is saying something.

I hunt deer with both 30-30s and 35s and personally had to blood trail a well hit buck with a 30-30 in which there was no exit and little blood. So far I have not experienced that with the 35s.

All I can add is that if I run across a good 336 Texan in 35 Remington,it's going home with me. The 35 Remington ammo costs more because it's worth it. My family hunted with Reciever sighted Marlins in 336 in 35 Remington when I was growing up. One of my cousins killed over 70 whitetail bucks with his 35 and never lost a wounded deer. If you don't want one,don't buy one,but never imagine for a second that it's not one of the best woods cartridges ever made

Last edited by ruraldoc; 08/22/23.
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,322
Likes: 25
B
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,322
Likes: 25
Originally Posted by aboltfan
Jeeper, for sure.

In the posting above is the picture from the ballard rifled SC and in the first post is the picture using the same load from the micro-groove Texan. I felt fortunate and pleased that it worked well out of both types of rifling.

Any deer seen where we hunt in Miss. are in danger with any of the three 35s!

Truth is, at my spots in Vermont and NH, they're just as good there.
I started because of retired3100's post above where he said most hunters don't know how good the .35 Rem is. I simply pointed out that some of us have actually used it and found it simply isn't all that it's cracked up to be. No need for any weepy vaginas here. I understand that some folks are just sentimental enough to pay more for nostalgia in spite of inferior performance. I just didn't want a bunch of nostalgic old Fudds misleading folks with grand tales of the .35's mystical killing power like those old gun writers used to do.

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,322
Likes: 25
B
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,322
Likes: 25
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Dude everytime somebody posts about how much they like an old gun in 35 Remington,you seem to take it as a personal insult.

I can only add that I have 4 marlin 336s in 30-30 and three in 35 Remington and enjoy them all.

Two JM marlin 336C models in 30-30,as well two Remlin 30-30s. The Remlins are a 336T Deluxe,and Marlin 336 Dark that is factory threaded for a suppressor.All four are excelent guns.

The 35 remingtons are all JM guns and two are presafety rifles. Two of the 30-30s are scoped but all of the 35s have ghost ring reciever sights.

I prefer the 35s when guiding for hogs in thick cover. I have used the 200 grain round nose corelokt to kill a big mean wounded boar that was charging and intent on
bodliy harm of me or my client.

The big bullet did what it always does, stopped the charge and kiiled the boar. We were able to weigh this boar on scales and he weighed 292 pounds. The bullet went through the thick gristle plate and destroyed the vitals instantly killing the boar at less than 5 yards.

I can tell you from experience that the 35 kills as quickly in such situations as a good 45-70 load, and that is saying something.

I hunt deer with both 30-30s and 35s and personally had to blood trail a well hit buck with a 30-30 in which there was no exit and little blood. So far I have not experienced that with the 35s.

All I can add is that if I run across a good 336 Texan in 35 Remington,it's going home with me. The 35 Remington ammo costs more because it's worth it. My family hunted with Reciever sighted Marlins in 336 in 35 Remington when I was growing up. One of my cousins killed over 70 whitetail bucks with his 35 and never lost a wounded deer. If you don't want one,don't buy one,but never imagine for a second that it's not one of the best woods cartridges ever made
See my post above. Oh and try some 170 grain bullets in your .30-30 next time. In my experience they routinely out penetrate 200 grain .35's in meat and bone as well as in various test media. I have yet to recover one from a deer except on a lengthwise shot, despite having put them through both shoulders of big Northern bucks several times. I don't know anything about killing hogs as we don't have them here but deer never seem to be nearly as impressed with big and slow as some hunters are and I say that after having killed a couple truckloads with various 12 gauge slugs, .44 magnum and 50 cal. muzzleloader bullets in addition to 200 grain .35's. Maybe the .35 would do somewhat better with some hot handloads but 200 grain factory loads are not terribly impressive.

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,014
Likes: 7
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,014
Likes: 7
I never saw enough difference between the 30-30 and 35 to keep both. So I kicked the 35 down the road and got a 45-70

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,322
Likes: 25
B
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 19,322
Likes: 25
Originally Posted by moosemike
I never saw enough difference between the 30-30 and 35 to keep both. So I kicked the 35 down the road and got a 45-70
My .35 got replaced by a Remington 760 carbine in .30-06.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24



133 members (7887mm08, 160user, 44mc, 1936M71, admin, 14 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,644
Posts18,533,705
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023


 


Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.



Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5
(Release build 20201027)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.3.33 Page Time: 0.113s Queries: 54 (0.030s) Memory: 0.9102 MB (Peak: 1.0148 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2024-05-24 10:06:51 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS