Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Every few years I get fixated on the idea of buying hunting land out west. I am closing in on 50 and I may be running out of time. I think I have my wife on board with the idea, though, as long as it isn't ridiculously expensive. I am interested in elk but also just about every other game species available (especially deer, antelope, and game birds). I am looking for advice from people more knowledgeable than me.

I have sort of focused on Wyoming and Colorado. I initially liked the idea of Montana but I understand tags are had to come by. I saw that Colorado and Wyoming have non-resident landowner tags available if you have 160+ contiguous acres. In Montana it is 640 acres for elk and 320 for other species. With my budget, I would be lucky to afford 160 acres.

For people familiar with Wyoming, what area has the best variety of game available while also being somewhat affordable? I have found plots for around $1,000 per acre but they seem to be in the flatland/prairie area and I think for elk and such, the mountains are probably the place to be. For example, would a property like this provide reasonable hunting opportunities for elk or moose if I was able to get a tag? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Sycamore-Dr-Rock-River-WY-82083/2057195692_zpid/

My understanding is that I could get some landowner tags for that unit but would not be restricted to using the tags on the property. If that's the case, it could be a launching point or camping area but I could hunt public land in the same unit and if the game is not on the land I could potentially head to higher ground in the mountainous public land. Is this accurate?

It seems like buying land in the mountainous areas is more expensive for some reason.

GB1

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Or something like this: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/45-Undance-Gln-Medicine-Bow-WY-82329/2067660383_zpid/

It seems too good to be true and maybe that's because there is not game or no access. If it is cheap simply because of no access to utilities, I don't came about that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The best thing you can do is first get a hold of a real estate agent in that area and pick his brain about various game species you would like to hunt and then once you select few areas make the trip yourself and scout the area and talk to locals. Wyoming has great amount of antelope all over the state but mostly around Gillette, elk on the other hand will move through the property in their migration. You might want to look at properties that border state and federal lands so you can access them from your homestead. As far as landowner preference tags, you might as well make a call to WY game and fish, they usually answer calls quickly and they will let you know, you might as well pick their brain about the area you are looking to buy at.

Last edited by duke61; 08/24/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've thought, think, and will think about hunting ground too. maybe more of an issue than money is the time. Do you have time to go there? Idk your location, travel could be a big obstacle. You mentioned deer, antelope, elk, birds. You are going to need time for all that. My main reservation is that I just don't care to eat wild stuff enough to put that many resources into it. I shoot a few pheasants , maybe a deer or not, I'm good. I'd rather catch fish and eat fish. Good luck in your search.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Theeck
It seems like buying land in the mountainous areas is more expensive for some reason.

The reason is everyone wants to be in the mountains, just like lake/beach front property. Colorado is full by the way and busting at the seems as it is. You won't find any land here for $1000/acre. Maybe $3-4k/acre for some treeless, cell-phone less, utility-less plot in the middle of nowhere. And you'll be surrounded by meth heads and other criminals if you go that route. It's a genuine problem here with the cheaper land.

If it was me, I wouldn't be looking for enough land for a land owner tag, I'd be looking for a 5-15 acre parcel that abuts public land and you could use it as a gateway to the public land or rent it to others for the same purpose. If you could access land locked public land, it would be priceless in terms of your hunting use and the potential for renting/leasing.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That land may hold antelope but no elk.
Your land must have enough animal use days to get a LO tag too, they don't just give them to LO with acreage.
Thera re no moose LO tags either.

In Wyoming a GW has come out to your property and validate that you have at least 2000 days of animal use, taht means the umber of animals multiplied by the days on your property.

As a resident, if you move here for a year, you could buy OTC deer and elk tags for general areas to hunt. All antelope are a draw unless you get a LO tag, or 2 max.
If an area has more LO than tags available then they have to draw also, and that happens in a few areas.

Land prices are not cheap here and if you find cheap land it will be very iffy and water is a big concern. We have spots that folks have to haul water for home use, buy their water from a town.
Utilities could also be an issue on vacant land, not power everywhere here.

Remember you must live here at least 180 days for be a resident and must establish residency for 1 year before you qualify as a resident.

Read this:

Section 9. Landowner Licenses. Landowner licenses shall only be issued to those
landowners who own land which provides habitat for antelope, deer, elk or wild turkeys and
meets the requirements as set forth in this section. Any lands purchased or subdivided for the
primary purpose of obtaining landowner licenses shall not be eligible for landowner licenses.
The Wyoming Game and Fish Commission authorizes the issuance of landowner licenses in
order to provide the opportunity for a landowner applicant or member of the landowner
applicant’s immediate family to hunt antelope, deer, elk or wild turkey on the landowner’s
property in the case where licenses for a hunt area have been limited in number and only
available through a competitive drawing.

(a) In order to qualify for a license issued under this section, the deeded land
qualifying the landowner applicant shall be located in the hunt area for which applied, shall
consist of a minimum of one hundred sixty (160) contiguous acres and shall be utilized by the
type of big game or wild turkeys for which the applicant applied to the extent the land provides
food, cover and water. The landowner applicant shall demonstrate that the species of wildlife for
which the license application has been made utilized the described land for a minimum of two
thousand (2,000) days of use during the twelve (12) month period immediately preceding the
date of application. In no case shall more than two (2) big game licenses per species or more
than two (2) spring wild turkey or no more than two (2) fall wild turkey licenses be issued for a
parcel of deeded land meeting the above qualifications in a calendar year.

The complete regulation is found here, go to 44-23 Section 9 :https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH44-(1)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a thought, but it may not be right for you. Invest your money. Talk to a top notch financial planner. Take your profit and buy points or go with ranches that provide tags in their package. You can hunt where you want, when you want each year and for what you want.

Unless you have money like Ted Turner, it may be the best option, especially for a NR. Kind of like chartering a boat instead of buying one.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks, guys. I am not a rich guy so I wouldn’t be able to come up with any crazy amounts of cash. Also, I don’t think you can normally get a loan for undeveloped land. So maybe it’s not something I can do but I’m not going to quit on the idea, at least not in the long term. Plus, I have 2 kids whose tuition is going to be a drain for the next decade.

I think the suggestion of a smaller plot with access to public land is probably the best option. I enjoy learning the land I hunt and don’t have any interest in hunting with a guide so I don’t think planning trips through an outfitter would really appeal to me. If I am going to be looking at smaller plots with a no frills cabin (or building one on undeveloped land) I think Montana and possibly Wyoming might be my best options. I still fear that I could end up with land but not be able to draw a tag consistently. I guess that is something I can deal with in time. Even if I don’t get drawn for big game, I could hint birds or something.

Time is an issue too. I would probably only be able to get out there for a couple weeks each fall until I get closer to retirement. I am hoping to retire in another 10-15 years but that may be optimistic.

Maybe it’s a pipe dream but I am going to keep looking into it. I could come up with some money up front (not much more than $100k though). We have investments but not a ton of liquid assets. I do own a bare-bones cabin on 130 acres in the Northeast. I could always sell that to get some more funds. I’m not sure I’m ready to get rid of that property yet. It’s undeveloped land and not worth big money either (maybe $200-$250k). It’s a good deer hunting area and I hunt on it.

I think I will keep an eye out for something cheap. If I can find something cheap, maybe I’ll bite then get something better when I get closer to retirement or have more free time. I wish I was born rich but wasn’t.

My other consideration is to start doing some DIY hunts out there to get a feel for it. I’ve done them other places and I have the gear. There may even be airbnb options.

Thanks and please keep the ideas coming. I may post other links to properties if I find some inexpensive options.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I bought land several years ago, before the Covid insanity drove prices sky high. Bought 59 acres in a large county that has one stop light in a western state. Land is bordered by a chunk of about 12,000 acres of BLM land that is landlocked by private (there are some public access points but few people seem to use it). There are elk, mule deer, coyotes, mountain lions, black bear, turkeys, and other small game that use the area including my parcel. Elk tags are over the counter. (BIG bulls roam the canyon, but there aren't a lot of them - probably less than 10 at any given time. For some reason it's a bull area, we never see cows, not even on game cameras). Deer tags by drawing but not hard to get. My son and I have hunted deer and elk there (on our property and the adjacent BLM) for 5 or 6 years in a row and we've never seen another hunter. Water lines from a water association were put in before I bought it, electricity is about 1/2 mile away. Also has an existing septic tank and drain field. Bought all this for $74k. Have an RV on it now but eventually plan to put a cabin on it. So glad I bought it when I did. OP good luck on your search.

Last edited by fortymile; 08/24/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have to put 2 kids through college, quit thinking about land and make sure you can keep your house. It's crazy what college costs, it's always some other darn thing they need. I told my college daughter yesterday to go get shirts and sweatshirts for her Mom and sister and charge it to our account. It's so expensive, $200 won't even be noticeable.

IC B3

J
J
I have thought about having land out west as well….fun and affordable to dream and look! It’s just that next step that intimidates me….

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The idea of owning land to hunt on is a very "Eastern" concept (as in Eastern/Midwestern US). Here, you don't need to own it, you just need a place to hang your hat to go explore all the public land that's available. Anything in the 200K range is generally going to be a windy, barren postage stamp (like the pieces you listed - get those, you'd better love wind). Better to put that money into something more lucrative that will fund your exploration. Buying a mediocre piece of property will tie you to it, limiting your exploration of the rest of the state. I'd put the money into a nice, used camper van. Put in for tags in a variety of Western states, then you won't be limited by owning a piece of property. Here in my part of Montana, the "right" 20 acres adjacent to public land can be in excess of $1,000,000.00.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
The idea of owning land to hunt on is a very "Eastern" concept (as in Eastern/Midwestern US). Here, you don't need to own it, you just need a place to hang your hat to go explore all the public land that's available. Anything in the 200K range is generally going to be a windy, barren postage stamp (like the pieces you listed - get those, you'd better love wind). Better to put that money into something more lucrative that will fund your exploration. Buying a mediocre piece of property will tie you to it, limiting your exploration of the rest of the state. I'd put the money into a nice, used camper van. Put in for tags in a variety of Western states, then you won't be limited by owning a piece of property. Here in my part of Montana, the "right" 20 acres adjacent to public land can be in excess of $1,000,000.00.
This! I had the thought/dream of owning some land "out west". After living there for a number of years I came to the conclusion it's a better use, for me, of the money to purchase/maintain something to just go on trips there. And I wouldn't be tied to a single location or state regarding tags and opportunities.

To the OP, I'd suggest investing in a comfortable, portable camping set up. For basecamps I prefer canvas tents over campers as it's less complicated for me to transport it to where I want to be. Then I'd suggest looking into the myriad of opportunities in various states and their draw systems.

If the land you buy has a residence on it, you'll spend a goodly portion of your time there fixing/maintaining it. Something that can be avoided with a camping setup...

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Pointers advice is the best I have seen here. You can go on a modestly priced outfitted hunt every year for the rest of your hunting lifetime for far less than the cost of owning land. DIY hunts are also possible with a good bit of planning and preparation.

Keep in mind that regulations and adjacent land use can and certainly will change over time. This can disrupt your situation if you’re tied to one piece of land.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Same here in SD, Brad. Actual values have reached levels unheard of, and unlikely to retreat far, in my opinion. As always you've given good advice. I don't want a camper but the advice to be mobile and flexible is sound.

OP: "Cheap" land is cheap for a reason. Because no one else wants it. Buying and keeping property will require you to make multlple actual physical trips to acquire it, and multiple actual physical trips to maintain and hold it. Zillow isn't going to get this done for you. You'll have to pick an area, familiarize yourself with it, contact the right agent, build a relationship, wait for an opportunity, and be ready to move when the right parcel comes up. And you're not buying a widget, no parcel is perfect.

The costs of acquisition are real; so are the costs of holding. Property taxes, weed and pest control, fencing, the list goes on and on. No one holds on to land for nothing, not even the feds. It's costly to maintain.

I don't say any of this to fault you for dreaming of this. Many did and do, and I hope many do in the future. But I do say it to caution you to know what you're getting into. I read your posts and was left with the sense that you needed caution. From my standpoint and experience, what you're seeking exists, in much the same way lottery winners exist. I wish you good luck, you'll need alot of it.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The problem for non-residents who want land in Idaho isn't the land. It's the tags. Non-resident tags are very hard to get. Because of the high demand, the IDFG has had to cap the number of non-res deer and elk OTC tags and it's a real fiasco getting them. Non-res can also apply for the draw hunts, but the odds are pretty low on the better hunts and there's no point system.
To get a resident tag, you have to physically live in Idaho for 6 months and you can't have resident licenses in 2 states. If you try to fudge it, you risk losing your license in both states for up to 5 years.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Okay, I'm convinced. I know a guy who retired and moved to Montana and I think that's awesome. The problem is, he did it in his 70s after 2 knee replacements and a problem hip. I know I could afford a really nice property at that point in my life (I have resources, just not liquid at the moment) but will likely not have my health/strength/mobility. I guess the best option for me is planning trips.

I do have pretty much all the gear I need for trips. I have taken DIY hunting trips other places, including elk hunting in Colorado a few years ago. I have a couple wall tents with wood stoves, etc. The biggest obstacle for me is that I go solo. I end up having to do all of it myself: driving thousands of miles, setting up and breaking down camp, hauling meat, etc. Having a home base where I could keep an ATV and other gear would seems appealing (like the camp I currently have 6 hours from home). I guess what I really need is some friends with similar interests. My hunting buddies generally like to just hunt deer locally in small woodlots.

I'm going to start planning a trip for 2024. Maybe that will feed my appetite for a little while. I'll see if I can find someone else who is interested. I guess I could use an outfitter but I enjoy the independence and don't want to hunt with a guide. Maybe a drop camp or another DIY is the way to go. Thanks for all of the good advice.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Buy a few acres near abundant blm and otc tags. Take a camper and a generator. Bring 100 gallons of water. Fill your propane tanks and hunt for 10 days at a time. If you already have a fifth wheel or whatever, you can get this done for 20k and under. The tag part is the hardest part. If you need electrical and water get ready to shell it out.

Last edited by Coyote10; 08/25/23.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
pm sent Theeck

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Having a home base where I could keep an ATV and other gear would seems appealing
A couple options:
You can rent a storage unit long term for a fraction of what a little land would cost and it would be much more secure than leaving your property unattended for 6 months at a time. If you decided that the other end of the state is better for your hunting trips, you can pack up our gear and rent elsewhere. Around here, a 10x20 unit costs about $1200/year. You'd pay that much just in taxes on land.

Or, you could buy a rat trap house with a large garage close to a town to do the same thing. But then you have taxes and insurance to pay and not get the security of a storage unit.

In some areas, squatters could be a problem. You can't just shove a shotgun barrel up a squatter's butt and tell him to git. Many, if not all, states have laws that prevent you from evicting them without long court battles.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 36 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,125
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.