Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’m wanting to get into some black powder hunting and want to get a muzzleloader. I’m looking for suggestions on a modern set up that will have 200 to 250 yard accuracy. I can use a scope in my state and I will be hunting Whitetail deer and hogs.

Looking at the newer stuff from CVA and not really concerned about budget. I’m a buy once cry once guy. What other suggestions and what model would you recommend?

I’m brand new to this

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Been browsing around the muzzleloaders.com website this morning. It’s interesting that a lot of the lower priced stuff is getting a higher star rating with more reviews, than the stuff that’s $500-$1000. Particularly I was looking at the CVA Accura MX and several negative reviews. However, the TC impact and CVA wolf have lots of five star reviews and a higher by far average rating.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A break-action inline is the easy button for those who just want to hunt, not play pioneer. I’ve plated with several inlines, bolts, BAs, and a Werndl knockoff, and all have shot just fine, with varying degrees of time and trouble needed for maintenance. I know people like to dream about taking long pokes, but a little studying of the ballistics will show that hitting way out there is complicated by a lot of drop and wind deflection, at least with the usual sabotted stuff. I wouldn’t attempt such shots without trying them on paper first. I’m done with inlines for now, but if getting back in, I’d look at the Optima 2 (IIRC), and maybe that one that takes the little breech-loaded tubes, recently legalized here. Seems to work okay and certainly it’s convenient.

Meanwhile, I’m doing my “cheating” with a couple of sidelock TCs with MagSparks and BH209. Using iron sights though; there limits even to my teensy-tiny sense of shame 😜

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Pappy I always appreciate your wisdom and insight, but also your sense of humor. I’ll look into some in-lines along the lines you suggested, starting with the Optima 2.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been muzzleloading for whitetails since the early 80s. Caplocks before inlines were even a thing. Been through a boatload of inlines, and now prefer my own scratch built flintlocks. I say all that to this end. 200 to 250 yard shots with even the best of inlines is not for the "brand new to this". Pappy speaks truth above. Trajectory and wind are the devil. I've taken some long pokes, and I've connected on some long pokes, but it's something I do not try very often. My longest kill with an inline was 248 yards. If it had ranged 258 that one woulda just walked. And that's with decades of experience and a good handle on my ballistics.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
200 to 250 is a far poke with a muzzleloader. My first purchase would be a good rangefinder.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I listed 200 because that is the far length of the two food plots I have. Most will be 75 yard shots in the woods where I mostly hunt. I’ll do my research and development once I get things put together and determine what an ethical effective range is. I will not shoot farther than I’m capable of when the time comes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by benchman
200 to 250 is a far poke with a muzzleloader. My first purchase would be a good rangefinder.

Yep, yep, and more yep.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MosesTucker
I listed 200 because that is the far length of the two food plots I have. Most will be 75 yard shots in the woods where I mostly hunt. I’ll do my research and development once I get things put together and determine what an ethical effective range is. I will not shoot farther than I’m capable of when the time comes.

Nobody is meaning any offense so I hope you're not taking it that way. Your/Our capability is only part of the equation. Ballistically, regardless what projectile your using, you're basically launching a brick in a high arc, and it loses velocity FAST. Add in any wind at all to the flight time and it gets tricky really quickly. There are limitations you need to accept and work within, same as we all do with primitive weapons. Even though it's a modern inline it's still a primitive weapon by design.

Being new to it, you're very wise to find the best rifle you can afford and that tickles your fancy. Research what projectile best suits its twist. Try a few different propellants in it, including Holy Black. Try different charge weights. Try a few different projectiles in it. Try different ignition sources if you want. Learn what bore condition it likes best, ie, clean, fouled, dirty, wet swabbed, dry swabbed, etc. Learn if it likes a loose seating of the bullet, a medium seat, or a heavy seat. Mark your ramrod at the muzzle so you can keep track of the consistency of all the seating trials. All this, BEFORE deer season kicks off.

Lots to figure out to get the most out of your investment and effort, but at some point you'll dial something in that with practice you'll feel better about taking longer shots. For now though I would strongly suggest staying within 100 yards for hunting. And even that with a muzzleloader is a respectable poke.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Look at Woodman rifles.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Wow this is a lot but it’s super helpful. I appreciate it a lot. A little bit overwhelming but I’m excited to try something new and jump in with both feet!

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Feral_American

Nobody is meaning any offense so I hope you're not taking it that way. Your/Our capability is only part of the equation. Ballistically, regardless what projectile your using, you're basically launching a brick in a high arc, and it loses velocity FAST. Add in any wind at all to the flight time and it gets tricky really quickly. There are limitations you need to accept and work within, same as we all do with primitive weapons. Even though it's a modern inline it's still a primitive weapon by design.

Being new to it, you're very wise to find the best rifle you can afford and that tickles your fancy. Research what projectile best suits its twist. Try a few different propellants in it, including Holy Black. Try different charge weights. Try a few different projectiles in it. Try different ignition sources if you want. Learn what bore condition it likes best, ie, clean, fouled, dirty, wet swabbed, dry swabbed, etc. Learn if it likes a loose seating of the bullet, a medium seat, or a heavy seat. Mark your ramrod at the muzzle so you can keep track of the consistency of all the seating trials. All this, BEFORE deer season kicks off.

Lots to figure out to get the most out of your investment and effort, but at some point you'll dial something in that with practice you'll feel better about taking longer shots. For now though I would strongly suggest staying within 100 yards for hunting. And even that with a muzzleloader is a respectable poke.

Yeah no offense taken. Didn’t realize how deep of a hole this was. I’ve got a lot to learn!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Feral_American

Yeah no offense taken. Didn’t realize how deep of a hole this was. I’ve got a lot to learn!

It can be as simple as buy a rifle, buy some sort of BP equivalent, buy some pre-packaged bullets, buy some primers to fit the rifle, and load it to the manufacturer's suggestions.

Aim, Fire.

Infact, that's probably what most do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Inlines are to muzzleloading as crossbows are to archery, a good way to make meat, but not very interesting to me otherwise. I suppose one could get into it, spend a bunch of time, effort, and money to stretch one’s range a bit, but I never felt drawn to that. Like my crossbow, I’d get my Knight out just before the season to check the sighting, make up some loads, and then go hunting. Never got the urge to just take it out and shoot for “fun” like my traditional rifles.

Not trying to discourage you or disparage that segment of the game at all, just rambling on. As I said, they're a great way to make meat and get more time in the woods. The setup you describe makes an inline a good choice, and there’s no reason you can’t try the other way too. What I'm doing with my setups gives me the look and feel of traditional and take advantage of our short seasons without any muss or fuss. I also have a nearly full 5-pound jug of BH209 I need to burn up😛

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Aviator
Look at Woodman rifles.

Those look good, and very handy, though I’m skeptical of their claim you never need to clean them.

What’s the wait time these days. Was considerable last time I checked.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you can find a TC Encore and some BH209, things will be pretty easy. Just one good option.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Just be ready to get addicted to it! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Aviator
Look at Woodman rifles.

Those look good, and very handy, though I’m skeptical of their claim you never need to clean them.

What’s the wait time these days. Was considerable last time I checked.

Not for sure on the wait time

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would buy a knight. They have the .52 Disc Extreme on sale right now.

Last edited by lazydrifter; 08/26/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been browsing around the muzzleloaders.com website this morning. It’s interesting that a lot of the lower priced stuff is getting a higher star rating with more reviews, than the stuff that’s $500-$1000. Particularly I was looking at the CVA Accura MX and several negative reviews. However, the TC impact and CVA wolf have lots of five star reviews and a higher by far average rating.

I just looked at that MR-X you mentioned. That’s a new one for me, but looks good. The reviews indicate that most are well satisfied with theirs, but a couple have had issues, so QC may be lacking, meaning you might get a dud now and then.

I have seen the same gun but as a .444 Marlin in person and was favorably impressed.

Better start looking for BH209 now if that’s the propellant you plan to use. It disappears fast, so be prepared to use an alternative.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 924 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,917
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.