-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Because every time - is better than a little faster.

[Linked Image from s18.postimg.cc]

GR

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Pass the AR.

Hold the bull schit.

-Not a Gun Writer.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by Trystan
For home defense there are a few things you should consider......First and foremost is do you have a family that lives with you? If you do a shotgun is a terrible defense weapon since an intruder could very easily get a family member of yours in between them and you. In this case I'd much prefer an AR with a laser sight.

So you think it would be safer to use an AR which will go through a bad guy and then a wall hitting God knows what on the other side of the wall? Ever stop to think about that?

A load of birdshot in a full choke will not have much spread in the distances found in the average house and won't have much energy left to shoot through a wall if the pellets get through the bad guy. And if you think a load of #4 or #6 shot won't be devastating at 10 yards then You've never really played with it. Nobody is walking away from a chest shot of #4 or #6 shot at 30 feet and it is a whole lot easier to really smack someone with 200+ pellets than the 9 or 12 pellets found in a 00 Buck load. Remember this is self defense, not deer hunting.

You might wanna pattern some of these loads you're promoting @ 7-10yds.

And if you're emptying rounds toward an occupied room, you're gonna have risk of penetrating regardless. It's a moronic argument.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR

M2 works every time also

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Pass the AR.

Hold the bull schit.

-Not a Gun Writer.

deflave;
Good afternoon Travis, I hope the Labour Day weekend is behaving for you all and you've all survived the storm okay.

While I've played with quite a few different models and brands of shotguns, mostly pump but a couple semi-auto, if I lived in a free country I'd run an AR variant.

There's a whole lot to go wrong in any tube feed magazine system and I've seen them bobble on the silliest little thing.

Again, I don't happen to live in a free country and thus these are the current "social arms for recalcitrant bruins" that we'll use camping, meat packing or hazing bears out of the yard.

[Linked Image]

They've all been taken apart, slicked up and had replacement parts installed where I've seen failures, such as mag springs and Hi-Viz, low friction Delrin followers installed.

Even with all that, they're still a bit of a compromise in my experience, usually because of feeding issues.

Friends and family who are LEO and/or 3 gun match shooters tell me they've seen similar issues.

Maybe some of the magazine fed pump guns "might" be better, but I've never handled one, much less shot one so would be guessing.

To be clear too Travis, I have less than bugger all experience shooting AR variants, so am basing my opinion there on the folks mentioned above.

All the best to you all down south sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
$200.00 vs $230.00..

I don't think that price range covers AR's?
Maybe a PCC?

Not that I'm against a good argument.
:-)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR

M2 works every time also

The Mossberg 870 CYL Bbl. cost less than $80 for my ole bird-n-skeet gun.

... and takes less than a minute to change back on the way out to the field.

GR

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have mossberg 940 pro tactical with holosun 407K on it.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
just going to point out the penetration from a single projectile such as a handgun or ar it's going to depend a lot up on the bullet not the case or weapon it was fired in

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Benelli SBE. Best shotgun bar none that I ever had. Light weight, recoil operated, so you can shoot it dirty. Never had a problem. I use it to shoot #8 shot for sporting clays, skeet, 5 stand, and trap. Have 5-6 choke tubes. I can shoot 3-1/2" magnum loads interchangebly with #8 bird shot. Now, the new Browning Auto 5 works the same way. You have to spend your money, but it is worth it. I have owned the old Browning Auto 5, Remington 1187 and 1100, 870, Mossburg 500. My son uses a Beretta and he likes it. Gas operated shotguns, if you don't keep them clean, are prone to jamb on you.

IC B3

I
IA_fog Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
I have a Benelli SBE. Best shotgun bar none that I ever had. Light weight, recoil operated, so you can shoot it dirty. Never had a problem. I use it to shoot #8 shot for sporting clays, skeet, 5 stand, and trap. Have 5-6 choke tubes. I can shoot 3-1/2" magnum loads interchangebly with #8 bird shot. Now, the new Browning Auto 5 works the same way. You have to spend your money, but it is worth it. I have owned the old Browning Auto 5, Remington 1187 and 1100, 870, Mossburg 500. My son uses a Beretta and he likes it. Gas operated shotguns, if you don't keep them clean, are prone to jamb on you.
I’ve had a sbe and a m2 could NEVER get bird field to cycle . Benelli says change spring changed spring then duck wouldn’t work. Screw that for $1500+ it better shoot anything. Sx2 beretta and browning no problems even my Remington but Benelli is a piece of crap and I had more than 1 of each flavor and same issue

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I shot about 5-6 really heavy loads out of the SBE when I got it. Then lubed the springs really well. I read about what you said to start with. Heavy loads break in the spring, then lube both the springs with Breakfree CLP. Never had a problem shooting anything after that.

The internal springs come from the factory with grease covering them. Clean the grease out, and lube with a lighter oil. No problem. I did this when I bought it as per the salesperson. I assume the Browning recoil operated one works the same. I also put a mercury recoil suppressor in the stock. This may help also.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by deflave
Pass the AR.

Hold the bull schit.

-Not a Gun Writer.

deflave;
Good afternoon Travis, I hope the Labour Day weekend is behaving for you all and you've all survived the storm okay.

While I've played with quite a few different models and brands of shotguns, mostly pump but a couple semi-auto, if I lived in a free country I'd run an AR variant.

There's a whole lot to go wrong in any tube feed magazine system and I've seen them bobble on the silliest little thing.

Again, I don't happen to live in a free country and thus these are the current "social arms for recalcitrant bruins" that we'll use camping, meat packing or hazing bears out of the yard.

[Linked Image]

They've all been taken apart, slicked up and had replacement parts installed where I've seen failures, such as mag springs and Hi-Viz, low friction Delrin followers installed.

Even with all that, they're still a bit of a compromise in my experience, usually because of feeding issues.

Friends and family who are LEO and/or 3 gun match shooters tell me they've seen similar issues.

Maybe some of the magazine fed pump guns "might" be better, but I've never handled one, much less shot one so would be guessing.

To be clear too Travis, I have less than bugger all experience shooting AR variants, so am basing my opinion there on the folks mentioned above.

All the best to you all down south sir.

Dwayne

Shotguns do hold a lot of value for a lot of reasons and one of them might be the lack of being able to legally own and use other platforms.

But here in the US where ARs are so prevalent the shotgun becomes a niche platform. And most people don't even know how niche their shotgun really is when compared to an AR.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ldholton
just going to point out the penetration from a single projectile such as a handgun or ar it's going to depend a lot up on the bullet not the case or weapon it was fired in

If you do tests on drywall you will find most shotgun loads penetrating the same or further than most handgun and rifle ammo.

But the funniest thing about the penetration argument in a home is based on the idea that we are going to fire toward a wall that is acting as a partition between my wife and child, and they are in direct line with my fire.

To which I say "Give me a fugking break."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
I’ve had a sbe and a m2 could NEVER get bird field to cycle . Benelli says change spring changed spring then duck wouldn’t work. Screw that for $1500+ it better shoot anything. Sx2 beretta and browning no problems even my Remington but Benelli is a piece of crap and I had more than 1 of each flavor and same issue

LOL

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Ok guys looking to add another shotgun and I’m prettt sure I know the answer but what the heck
Pump or semi ? PSA has Blake ace semi for $220 and a pump with 2 barrels extended mag for $230
Pro
Pump very reliable
Semi rapid follow up
Con
Semi reliable
I also believe a semi would be easier for wife to handle instead of pump
I’m leaning towards pump but thought I’d get others opinions
Thanks

You might wanna get her a new husband for Christmas.

-Not a Gun Writer

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
For me, the Mossberg pump is the only choice, for one very simple reason, THE THUMB SAFETY !!!!!!! WHEN "PUSH COMES TO SHOVE, fumbling for those easy to build, hard to operate safetys in the trigger guard are useless !!!!!!

Last edited by oldwoody2; 09/05/23. Reason: spelling

"not too grumpy"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not a writer, but an easy choice for me. And I'd look for a used Remington 870 or Ithaca 37 before buying a new cheap import.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Jeebus,

Still many misconceptions of shotgun penetration, or so it seems. Many penetration test on the tube, but if ya haven't done a few yourself, how would you know which tester was FOS or not.

Hit a newly being built subdivison & raid a dumpster. Grab some pieces of drywall, plywood if ya can, or anything else ya see that you'd wonder if a shotgun shot would penetrate. See for yourself. Informative and FUN!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunzo
Jeebus,

Still many misconceptions of shotgun penetration, or so it seems. Many penetration test on the tube, but if ya haven't done a few yourself, how would you know which tester was FOS or not.

Hit a newly being built subdivison & raid a dumpster. Grab some pieces of drywall, plywood if ya can, or anything else ya see that you'd wonder if a shotgun shot would penetrate. See for yourself. Informative and FUN!

Yes. Please add in the "alley sweeper" concept that you don't have to aim a shotgun. Just point the gauge in the general direction and mash the trigger. Everything in front of the shooter will be destroyed from 5 - 50 yards! Like a Claymore mine! It's just not so and you can tell who has actually patterned a shotgun and who hasn't.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,334
Posts18,526,750
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.