Chicken livers sprayed with wd40

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Cut eel or cut shiners or even creek chubs

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Turkey liver is tougher, much toucher and stays on the hook better than chiggin libber

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Catalpa worms if you can find em.

Ive got about 20 trees i planted a few years back..

They have worms, but eat the leaves in no time…

City folk love the trees…

Ornamental… real beau-t-ful…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If I can catch skip jack on the river, it's a preferred bait. Used to use shad guts but can't catch that many shad anymore. Any kind of guts will work. You might get some free from a butcher. I've gutted my catfish as I've caught them and used it as bait. Real good to go ahead and clean and store on ice if it's going to be a big catch trip. I've caught a few hundred pounds of catfish in a night before. Ran 70-100 jugs up 5 miles of lake.

Nearly too damn much like work.

Last edited by RHClark; 09/06/23.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have used Bowkers in years past. Don't get it on you it stinks, bad.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I’ve tried the Berkley Power catfish bait but can’t get it to stay on the hook!

I got cheap hot dogs and mixed em in that garlic that comes pulverized in oil, garlic powder, and a couple packages of kook aid. Had a great coupla evenings on those this summer they brought in some big cats and a couple carp too!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to fish with an older coworker from Arkansas named Hap (Catfish) Hunter. He made his own stink bait and we'd caught big old channel cats. Hang on to your pole.

Took a long time to hear his recipe: Cow brains, limburger cheese, and clove of anise extract. Let that mixture sit out in the sun and with a piece of foam on your hook dip it in the stinking mixture. Drop the hook with a slip sinker next to a tree and hang on to your pole.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I am allergic to fish, and cannot eat it.

That being said I can fish and gut all damn day. I love running trot lines in the Rappahannock, and the James when I can.

I use managers special food lion chicken. Whatever parts are on sale. Works great.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Talked to an old timer once

He only used Zote brand soap for bait.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone who uses store-bought catfish bait instead of his own, super-secret, never-fail mixture is not a real catfisherman.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Every old timer around here used to have a bucket with a lid that contained his own secret blend of never ending “world’s best” dough bait. All I ever heard of contained various amounts of cottonseed meal, cheese, blood, milk, and usually either peaches or apricots. Add a little water and stir with a stick and Viola!, you have dough bait. To get on everything to include your rod handle and reel.

And every one of those alchemists that made the stuff had stories of tearing up boats full, of channel cats, usually on a creek rise, or before a storm, or pre spawn. The same times worms, or liver, or minnows, or crawdads, or about anything will tear them up.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The best bait you can buy at the store if you’re serious about catfishing will be a good throw net.

Catch bait immediately before you fish and try to keep them alive as long as possible. Shad and skipjack are unbeatable for blues, the bigger the chunks the bigger the blues you’ll catch.

For flatheads live perch are the ticket, though the smaller ones will bite on crawdads and frogs, if you want to catch big ones use a live bluegill about the size of a small flapjack. Live crappie are arguably better but not legal in some places. Big flatheads will bite small bullheads too, and they stay alive a long time on the hook.

White or Sand bass generally suck for bait whether cut or live.

If you want big cats you have to target the predator species. Channels are small mouthed scavengers and slow growers. Flatheads and blues have bigger mouths and grow much faster, the bigger they get the bigger the prey they can fit in their mouth and the faster they’ll grow. Either is superior table fare to channels as well with flatheads being top of the heap for catfish in NA and maybe in the running for freshwater fish in NA period.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
“……when I walked in I can’t even begin to describe just what I smelled,
Lord, was it the Catfish bait or something Bubba had ate? Was it those pickled eggs on the shelf?”

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

They are called “Catawba Worms’.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We used to bait our trot lines with field birds we’d shoot walking the cornfields. Between those and whole perch we had plenty.

Yup.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
I’ve tried the Berkley Power catfish bait but can’t get it to stay on the hook!

I got cheap hot dogs and mixed em in that garlic that comes pulverized in oil, garlic powder, and a couple packages of kook aid. Had a great coupla evenings on those this summer they brought in some big cats and a couple carp too!

A shooting buddy uses the mushed-up hotdogs but with strawberry jello. I’ve tried cut bluegills and shrimp, plus some Whatamart bait to no avail. The wife caught one big enough for our dinner on a a half-inch piece of earthworm another fisherman gave her.

A few years back I saw a bass fisherman catch a 10.5 pounder on a red plastic lizard. I suspect that “shot placement” is more important than the bait.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by KFWA
stinky yes

stays on the hook

my experience is no
Wrap in panty hose

Yup, just like an egg sack.

I always found shrimp or crayfish to work better anyways.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

They are called “Catawba Worms’.

Around here, folks just say “your trees got any ‘togga worms? “

😂😂

Dave

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

380 members (204guy, 222Sako, 22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,850
Posts18,517,575
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.