Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Sitting here enjoying a relaxing day with a cool breeze, contemplating perhaps dozing off, at peace with the world, and you have to bring up those damned things. Whatever you do, avoid a New Holland with a Wisconsin engine.

Unless you're Amish those are 40 years (being generous) obsolete!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That's when the NH's start throwing out bearings.

It's usually around 10k with the JD's.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
If ya know anything about Thoroughbred horse racing ya might have heard of Claiborne Farms, Secretariat & all that. They are in the area. Them & many like them pay big bucks for square bales of alfalfa or clean wheat straw. Some guys around here still keep a nice square bailer just for this, & have another type for their own use.

OTOH, round bailers sized 4x5, 5x5 or up to 6x6 depending on the terrain are prevalent.. Brand preference might be a toss up. JD, NH & Vermeer always players. A few bale the large western type squares, but only on the flatter farms . They don't seem to be catching on here.

But, a bud of mine will sell a nice older IH wire tie square bailer if interested. It doesn't seem to get much attention here.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What if I want to go old school and do 60lb squared bales?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What about a bale wagon? Or do you hire high schoolers and pay them .10 cents a bale load them onto flat bed trailer?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Sitting here enjoying a relaxing day with a cool breeze, contemplating perhaps dozing off, at peace with the world, and you have to bring up those damned things. Whatever you do, avoid a New Holland with a Wisconsin engine.

Unless you're Amish those are 40 years (being generous) obsolete!

The trauma lasts a lifetime.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
That's when the NH's start throwing out bearings.

It's usually around 10k with the JD's.

15000 and no bearings yet!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
20,000 bales and afraid of it?

Haha! Some machine.....

Afraid, no. But it seems like anymore it's always about to rain and we're rushing to get the hay made before it's ruined.

Honestly the pickup head needs rebuilt and the belts are getting tired, so probably should put the money in a new machine. Rather than this one. Don't really want to though because it still makes a great bale

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by keystoneben

Haha! Some machine.....

Afraid, no. But it seems like anymore it's always about to rain and we're rushing to get the hay made before it's ruined.

Honestly the pickup head needs rebuilt and the belts are getting tired, so probably should put the money in a new machine. Rather than this one. Don't really want to though because it still makes a great bale
the BR series balers and this includes the 7XXX series the pickup is definitely the weak point. the new RB series a definite huge improvement in that area..

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We run two older 7090's that we bought used. Both still under 10k bales but you have to keep an eye on them.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We always had New Holland pull behind balers. And pull behind bale pickers.

When hay mows came into useage, we bought a blue one. I can't remember the brand name. Being blue, was it a Ford?

We left the farm in 1979, so my info is quite dated.

Last edited by AB2506; 09/10/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by keystoneben

Haha! Some machine.....

the BR series balers and this includes the 7XXX series the pickup is definitely the weak point. the new RB series a definite huge improvement in that area..

A buddy has had one for a few years. They've put quite a few bales through it and are pretty happy. I'm not really sure what I'd look at besides a NH.

Originally Posted by SamOlson
We run two older 7090's that we bought used. Both still under 10k bales but you have to keep an eye on them.

I think if we had the wider baler, we'd have less trouble with the head. It can be pretty hard on it when we 're trying to cram a bunch of hay through it. Especially wetter silage hay.
I have been keeping an eye out for a used 7060. But they are pricey or have a high bale count.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
McHale

G
G23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Around here, vermeers are pretty popular.

G23

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
JD baler, I believe.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Also JD perhaps

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We road our balers to various hay fields that are around 20 miles from south to north.

Drive by all kinds of hay ground and by far the crappiest looking bales have a JD baler broke down out in the field.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 79S
You’ll find there are damn few bales in AK made at that weight.

SOP is β€œ50#” bales that are 43-45 tops on a scale.

When I had to live in KS, the farmer delivered 30 bales of prairie grass stacked in a pickup bed that needed no tie downs. Those were nice bales!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 79S
What is the budget? Used? How used?

We have an old John Deere 336 which gets by on our little place. 40 plus years old.

If the budget is bigger, I would definitely go with a Heston/Ferguson/Case center line. They are all the same machine. Our local farmers usually run 3x4, or 4x4 square balers. But they also keep a small machine around to produce those 60 lb bales for sale to hobby horse farmers.

You want a 14"x16" bale chamber to make those small bales and still keep them dense and watertight. The centerline baler is much easier t o use in the field, as the tractor straddles the windrow. You seldom have to get off the tractor and move bales out of your path when using a center line.

[Linked Image from masseyferguson.com]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We bought 50 small square straw bales. Stuffed 'em in the old barn and heifer calving shed.

$5 apiece delivered and stacked. Nice quality.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA
those summers of my youth, 90 degrees with no shade throwing bails onto a trailer in a field that never ends. It was good money for a kid with nothing better to do.

then we drive down the road to the barn and see a guy with a chute from the bailer to the trailer pushing the bails with a 2 man crew.

I do remember them being tempermental bastards though. Pretty sure it was a New Holland
When I was in high school, our area grew a lot of seed corn and hay. About every kid I knew worked either bucking hay or tasseling corn. It was in the early 60's when we saw the 1st bale wagons. Within just a few years, the hay work for kids had completely dried up. 1 man with a bale wagon could do more in a day than 10 of us kids and still be more or less rested at sundown.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 77 invisible), 3,140 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,622
Posts18,533,135
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.