Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Right on Tom!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Right on Jordan. My thoughts, after only a single bull elk, but 60+ head of African game, is that what some consider "adequate" often times become way more than that in the hands of a good shooter with good bullets. In the past, after guiding more than 160 hunters, the biggest problem I saw was that most of them showed up over-gunned and over-scoped.

And under-practiced...
You guys have it right. I've guided and witnessed a few hunters that could shoot .300WM+ cartridges well, and a few that couldn't shoot .223- and .243-class cartridges well. But, the trends have been that most rodeos in shot placement on game have involved people obviously over-gunned, while "marginal" cartridges have done the job as well as anything else when appropriate bullets and good shot placement prevailed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by memtb
I’m guess’n that a lot aren’t killed also! Making an educated decision on firearm use when accessing the type of hunt is never a bad thing!

Many men think that wives and young hunters are incapable of tolerating some recoil. Years ago, fathers thought that starting their kids out with a 410 was a wise decision…..actually just the opposite, by handicapping them with a small shot charge which required more skill to make clean, lethal shots!

There is a vast difference between adequate and optimum! memtb

Originally Posted by Blacktailer
starting their kids out with a 410 was a wise decision memtb
BTDT. If there was ever an exercise in humility, shooting quail with a single shot full choke 410 is it.
You guys are really helping make the counter argument here. The message is, don’t start novice hunters with a firearm that makes proper shot placement more difficult. Very simplistically, with shotguns that means a larger shot pattern. With rifles, it means more accuracy and precision, which means less recoil and less sensitivity to wind and short-range drop.

I respectfully disagree!

Most any young shooter (that wants to hunt/shoot) in their early teens and older should be fully capable of accurately shooting anything in the .308Win/ 30-06/7 mag range and likely larger more powerful, without difficulty…..Assuming proper stock fit, and a decent recoil pad…. The scoped pkg coming in around 7 1/2 to 8 pounds. I started out @14 with a 6 3/4 pound (didn’t add a scope until I was in my 20’s), with a hard plastic buttplate in .308 Win and didn’t have any difficulty shooting prone, we didn’t have a bench in 1967.

For a younger shooter, a smaller caliber would probably a wise choice…..but keep them with smaller big game…..not elk/moose,ect. ! If large big game is on the menu, then a larger, more powerful cartridge should be used. Most folks on this site love to put a “weed-burner” on darn near anything over a 22 rimfire. Perhaps a brake should be considered if the shooter hasn’t reached their early teens yet, is very small/young shooter, or is timid……perhaps only hunting/shooting to satisfy dad!

I’ll go a step farther……only an exceptional, very accomplished youth shooter should be attempting long range shooting were wind doping, and drop become a significant issue! JMO memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Right on Jordan. My thoughts, after only a single bull elk, but 60+ head of African game, is that what some consider "adequate" often times become way more than that in the hands of a good shooter with good bullets. In the past, after guiding more than 160 hunters, the biggest problem I saw was that most of them showed up over-gunned and over-scoped.

Very likely the majority of those “guided” hunters had far more money than ability! Having a fat wallet can buy you a guide and possibly a trophy…..but not skill! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nah they just listened to much to a guy from Wyo that told them they needed a 375 to kill a deer.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For a dude...30-06
For a rifleman...something in 6.5 or .270 with correct ammo

/thread

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Nah they just listened to much to a guy from Wyo that told them they needed a 375 to kill a deer.

Bob….kindly remove your head from between your arse cheeks! If your going to attempt communication with adults…..please get your facts straight!

I have never, and will never say or even suggest that anyone “NEEDS” a .375 of any description to kill a deer! In fact it’s quite easy to kill a deer with a 22 rimfire (though illegal in most places)…..if the hunter has adequate hunting/shooting skills.

I use the cartridge because I like it, have faith in it, and shoot it pretty damn well! You shoot anything you like….hopefully you can handle your rifle better than your condescending, smart a$$ attitude! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/20/23.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I do have my facts straight you promote the 375 for everything and everyone on the fire hears you like a broke record. So pull yours out..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I do have my facts straight you promote the 375 for everything and everyone on the fire hears you like a broke record. So pull yours out..mb

Preach!

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Out of curiosity, how many kids have you helped get started in hunting/shooting?

I don’t know very many kids that could shoot a 7 1/2# 06/7 Mag enough comfortably to get sufficient and I’ve helped quit a few kids.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I’m guess’n that a lot aren’t killed also! Making an educated decision on firearm use when accessing the type of hunt is never a bad thing!

Many men think that wives and young hunters are incapable of tolerating some recoil. Years ago, fathers thought that starting their kids out with a 410 was a wise decision…..actually just the opposite, by handicapping them with a small shot charge which required more skill to make clean, lethal shots!

There is a vast difference between adequate and optimum! memtb

Originally Posted by Blacktailer
starting their kids out with a 410 was a wise decision memtb
BTDT. If there was ever an exercise in humility, shooting quail with a single shot full choke 410 is it.
You guys are really helping make the counter argument here. The message is, don’t start novice hunters with a firearm that makes proper shot placement more difficult. Very simplistically, with shotguns that means a larger shot pattern. With rifles, it means more accuracy and precision, which means less recoil and less sensitivity to wind and short-range drop.

I respectfully disagree!

Most any young shooter (that wants to hunt/shoot) in their early teens and older should be fully capable of accurately shooting anything in the .308Win/ 30-06/7 mag range and likely larger more powerful, without difficulty…..Assuming proper stock fit, and a decent recoil pad…. The scoped pkg coming in around 7 1/2 to 8 pounds. I started out @14 with a 6 3/4 pound (didn’t add a scope until I was in my 20’s), with a hard plastic buttplate in .308 Win and didn’t have any difficulty shooting prone, we didn’t have a bench in 1967.

For a younger shooter, a smaller caliber would probably a wise choice…..but keep them with smaller big game…..not elk/moose,ect. ! If large big game is on the menu, then a larger, more powerful cartridge should be used. Most folks on this site love to put a “weed-burner” on darn near anything over a 22 rimfire. Perhaps a brake should be considered if the shooter hasn’t reached their early teens yet, is very small/young shooter, or is timid……perhaps only hunting/shooting to satisfy dad!

I’ll go a step farther……only an exceptional, very accomplished youth shooter should be attempting long range shooting were wind doping, and drop become a significant issue! JMO memtb

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agreed SLM.. I’d have no problem and haven’t with a kid using a 6.5 C or Swede, 25-06, etc. I know a good hunter will be there to help as much as possible with the kill when it comes.

Semper Fi
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hell, I don’t know very many grown men that would put shooting a 7 1/2 pound all up 06/ 7 Mag on top of the fun list. (Me included)

Originally Posted by beretzs
Agreed SLM.. I’d have no problem and haven’t with a kid using a 6.5 C or Swede, 25-06, etc. I know a good hunter will be there to help as much as possible with the kill when it comes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Probably not. Mine are fit to me. My son’s a lanky Marine and shoots his 7x57 well. I guess I don’t sweat it myself. Our bullets make a lot of stuff a lot better than when we were kids.

Semper Fi
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Absolutely on the bullets. This is always an interesting conversation.

Tell your son thanks for his service.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
Absolutely on the bullets. This is always an interesting conversation.

Tell your son thanks for his service.

Will do. It's amazing, I did 20 years and never sweated it much, I worry about my lad all the time and it's damned near peacetime right now..

I think alot of folks forget the bullets that work so well in the bigger guns make the little guns that may not have been as effective years ago, players in the field nowadays.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Gentlemen, Please go to my answer to the OP, on 8/05/23, and please note that I started with the 270 Win., a .308 Win, a 30-06, and a 7 Rem Mag. Again, I started with the .270 Win, and ended with the 7 Rem Mag….the 7 Rem is pretty tame as magnums go.

If a hunter wants to hunt elk and can’t handle a .270 Win properly…..he/she should take up needle point or golf.

Unless a grown man has some form of disability (shoulder, neck, retina, ect.), or serious age related issues and cannot handle the recoil of an 8 pound (scoped) .270, .308, ect hunting rifle ……. we really have become a nation of pussys!

If this offends any of you ….tough! memtb

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just the opposite, no offense taken at all. I'd rather have a person confident in their rig and their shooting abilities and me putting a good bullet in it, I know will go deep. I used to be in the camp a person was in Heaven on Earth with a 338 but sorta realized smaller stuff works fine as well. I still use bigger stuff when I want, but I don't believe it is totally needed either.

Great topic over all from my grid square.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My findings based on my experiences tell me that it doesn’t matter what the headstamp says or what diameter the bullet starts out. If it puts a hole that’s about 1 to 2 inches in diameter through the vital organs of your quarry you better have a sharp knife and quick.

We are blessed to have bullets available to us in diameters from .224 thru .458 that will consistently give that type of performance when launched from an array of cartridges.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I can't look at it as if I am looking for the smallest round that will kill elk. I like to look at it as the round that will work best in the situation I am going to be hunting elk. A rifle that works pretty good overall is the 30-06. In the thick or at shots up to 500 yards a 30-06 works pretty good with tough pointed bullets. Last time I hunted elk in Wyoming it was out in the Red Desert and I had two rifles, my long shot rifle which was a 300 win mag and my carrying around rifle which was a 30-06. In Washington state I hunted with a Ruger RSI in 308 loaded with 200 grain Nosler Partitions. If the elk is going to be standing next to a pile of hay bales 100 yards away I would still use at least a 7-08. I could use a 243 but I wouldn't.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Gentlemen, Please go to my answer to the OP, on 8/05/23, and please note that I started with the 270 Win., a .308 Win, a 30-06, and a 7 Rem Mag. Again, I started with the .270 Win, and ended with the 7 Rem Mag….the 7 Rem is pretty tame as magnums go.

If a hunter wants to hunt elk and can’t handle a .270 Win properly…..he/she should take up needle point or golf.

Unless a grown man has some form of disability (shoulder, neck, retina, ect.), or serious age related issues and cannot handle the recoil of an 8 pound (scoped) .270, .308, ect hunting rifle ……. we really have become a nation of pussys!

If this offends any of you ….tough! memtb

You are an idiot.

If that offends you...tough.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,560
Posts18,510,631
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.