Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Looking to purchase a 7mm RM. I have always stuck to 'classic sporter' because I want a full length barrel. I assumed all were cut down for weight, hence, featherweight. However, All the 7mm Rem I see, be it classic sporter or featherweight seem to have 24" barrels. Is that the norm or is there something else I need to know. Is the featherweight designation purely a stop swap option on the new 90's G serial rifles?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brazosdog
Looking to purchase a 7mm RM. I have always stuck to 'classic sporter' because I want a full length barrel. I assumed all were cut down for weight, hence, featherweight. However, All the 7mm Rem I see, be it classic sporter or featherweight seem to have 24" barrels. Is that the norm or is there something else I need to know. Is the featherweight designation purely a stop swap option on the new 90's G serial rifles?

They never made a true fwt 7mm rem mag. Also, I don't know where you are looking, but most model 70 7mm rem mags have 26" tubes. I personally don't like the 26" long barrels and cut them down to 23". You don't lose as much velocity as you'd think, but it makes them much more nimble feeling. To each their own on that though.

Featherweight barrel contour has always been just that. I'm thinking someone else may have also told you about the barrel contour in another one of your threads??? The fwt barrel has a 1/4" flat at the receiver, then it steps down to a lighter tapered contour. Like these for example:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The stock barrel channel typically follows those lines:

Here's a standard weight (sporter) for comparison:

A classic stainless fwt barrel:

If they called it a featherweight, it is one they threw a sporter model into a featherweight schnabel forend tip stock. Those have the barrel channel opened up to accept the bigger barrel profile. However, they are not a "true" featherweight. A sleight of hand or misrepresentation of the true meaning of the "featherweight" rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I am looking across most sites like this one and Guns International. Thanks for the info. I also had a buddy wanting to sell a .270 WBY MAG 7 digit G gun, push feed, but it had a muzzle brake installed. The end of the brake measured 25.5 and where it met the barrel was 23". I didn't like the idea of push feed, or the fact it had been cut down.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I am looking across most sites like this one and Guns International. Thanks for the info. I also had a buddy wanting to sell a .270 WBY MAG 7 digit G gun, push feed, but it had a muzzle brake installed. The end of the brake measured 25.5 and where it met the barrel was 23". I didn't like the idea of push feed, or the fact it had been cut down.

I know you've been searching for just the right rifle. Eventually you'll run across it. It's good to ask these questions. One thing I'll add about the pushfeed you mention, those rifles are very good and reliable. Generally having very smooth actions, good oldstyle trigger, excellent out of the box accuracy, good extractor (much more robust than the Rem 700). They are generally a little less money than a comparable CRF classic or pre 64.

You also seem to be jumping around on what you want for cartridges. From what I've seen, it seems like I've been seeing more 7mm rem mags lately on the used rifle racks. A classic CRF chambered for that cartridge makes sense, if you are truly wanting one. It's a great cartridge housed in a great rifle. I have a couple right now and like them.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Yes, I am jumping around a bit on caliber. The fact is that I'm not all that picky. I am open to .270 as well. I am mostly trying to learn a lot as I go too. I like the Model 70 and I think that's the one I want to focus on. I am focused on the CRF Post 64 due to pricing, and the fact that I cannot just buy them all. So, I want to focus on a subset of the model I want. Thanks for the pics. Those make sense to me.

This is the one that prompted my question. It illustrates your point that you made about contours. At that price, I'm not even going to inquire. I find it overpriced by a fair bit.

Last edited by Brazosdog; 09/17/23.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I think BSA pretty much addressed it above, but yes, the featherweight and all-terrain mags had 24 inch barrels – but of the same contour. Also, the early supergrades had a 24 inch barrel.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes, I am jumping around a bit on caliber. The fact is that I'm not all that picky. I am open to .270 as well. I am mostly trying to learn a lot as I go too. I like the Model 70 and I think that's the one I want to focus on. I am focused on the CRF Post 64 due to pricing, and the fact that I cannot just buy them all. So, I want to focus on a subset of the model I want. Thanks for the pics. Those make sense to me.

This is the one that prompted my question. It illustrates your point that you made about contours. At that price, I'm not even going to inquire. I find it overpriced by a fair bit.
Brazos, if you tell us exactly what you are looking for, maybe one of us here would be willing to let one go.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Or... For the bit chambering flexible as "discrimination folk..." Winchester offered the late pre '64 era Model 70 Featherweight in .264 (6.5mm) Win Mag chambering. Some peculiarities for hand-loaders I understand, but decent chambering. Mine from '62 vintage, pix below. Red "Winchester" branded pad as original/furnished on this Model. 24" inch factory barrel as opposed to Standard Model 26".
I prefer the 7mm series, of factory ammo available inference: -08, x57 & Rem Mag!

Good Luck!
Best!
John

Attached Images
R420-1U.jpg (21.26 KB, 340 downloads)
R420-7.jpg (22.24 KB, 341 downloads)
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
John,

I need to go measure but I believe that the 264 featherweights were 22” - perhaps worth a check?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
Or... For the bit chambering flexible as "discrimination folk..." Winchester offered the late pre '64 era Model 70 Featherweight in .264 (6.5mm) Win Mag chambering. Some peculiarities for hand-loaders I understand, but decent chambering. Mine from '62 vintage, pix below. Red "Winchester" branded pad as original/furnished on this Model. 24" inch factory barrel as opposed to Standard Model 26".
I prefer the 7mm series, of factory ammo available inference: -08, x57 & Rem Mag!

Good Luck!
Best!
John

The standard 264 win mag westerner had a 26" long barrel, where as the 264 fwt had a 22" barrel.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I found a nice .270 stainless in another forum, but the seller wasn’t willing to let me contact his FFL to verify that he actually Had the gun and the seller wouldn’t return my calls or provide any useful contact info. I wouldn’t send money before I at least knew he had the gun to ship and he said it was too much work for him to take the product to the ffl before I had paid in full. So I’m going to be honest, probably buying guns from people online from strangers isn’t my thing. I will buy a scope for 300 in good faith, but I can’t do that for a 1000 gun, so I don’t want to waste anyone’s time. There is a supergrade in the classifieds right now in 7mm RM. It has a 24” barrel not 26” so that confused me. It’s more than I can afford but that’s the idea. I just am looking for a lightly used model 70 in excellent condition. I see them pretty often for 700-900 bucks. .270, 7mm RM…classic sporter walnut. Has to have walnut. I have two BNIB Tikka T3 forests in 7mm RM and 300 win mag I may be trying to sell.

For what it’s worth, this site and board is far more….refined….if you will. Seems like a lot of folks who like to help and are friendly. That’s nice. This is a good place. My one purchase here has been great.

Last edited by Brazosdog; 09/18/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I found a nice .270 stainless in another forum, but the seller wasn’t willing to let me contact his FFL to verify that he actually Had the gun and the seller wouldn’t return my calls or provide any useful contact info. I wouldn’t send money before I at least knew he had the gun to ship and he said it was too much work for him to take the product to the ffl before I had paid in full. So I’m going to be honest, probably buying guns from people online from strangers isn’t my thing. I will buy a scope for 300 in good faith, but I can’t do that for a 1000 gun, so I don’t want to waste anyone’s time. There is a supergrade in the classifieds right now in 7mm RM. It has a 24” barrel not 26” so that confused me. It’s more than I can afford but that’s the idea. I just am looking for a lightly used model 70 in excellent condition. I see them pretty often for 700-900 bucks. .270, 7mm RM…classic sporter walnut. Has to have walnut. I have two BNIB Tikka T3 forests in 7mm RM and 300 win mag I may be trying to sell.

For what it’s worth, this site and board is far more….refined….if you will. Seems like a lot of folks who like to help and are friendly. That’s nice. This is a good place. My one purchase here has been great.

Totally understandable. I'd hold out for just the right one. As you probably know, the blued walnut versions are much less expensive and easier to find than the stainless walnut. Doesn't someone have a nice stainless walnut 7mm rem mag for sale in the classifieds here right now? I believe it's couesdeer. The price is right on that one, if it is not sold yet. Every once in a while you'll run across one locally, if you look around. They don't come up for sale often though. Have you inquired about the one couesdeer is selling?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
It’s not couesdeer’s.

Is a stainless walnut in .270 better or worse than a blued one? Does it matter or personal preference or what?

Last edited by Brazosdog; 09/18/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It’s not couesdeer’s.

Is a stainless walnut in .270 better or worse than a blued one? Does it matter or personal preference or what?

Personal preference in my book. The SS is worth a bit more though on average.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
It’s not couesdeer’s.

Personal preference in my book. The SS is worth a bit more though on average.

I was just out in the shop, cleaning some rifles and a pistol from the other days outing. Thinking about the OP's question. For me, the stainless rifles are easier to care for. And where I hunt, they are nice to have because it rains a lot or snows during elk season. Also, if you are away from home, hunting, and your rifle is getting all wet, you have less worries with a stainless model 70. They don't seem to rust up like some other stainless rifles I've had. I've seen stainless Tikka's on the used rifle racks with rust specks on them. Obviously very poorly taken care of rifles. Most times you can wipe them down with an oily rag and be good, if away from home. But I always worry about my blued rifles out in the crap weather. Probably why I hunt my m1917 sporters most times and leave the pre 64's at home. Also, if you get a scratch in the finish of a stainless rifle, you can generally buff it out. A nicely blued rifle, not so much. There are benefits and advantages in having a stainless model 70. Where you hunt and how you take care of your rifles may be a consideration or deciding factor.

To be honest, if I were looking for a nice stainless walnut 7mm rem mag, I'd contact couesdeer about his rifle. The only real question I'd have about that rifle is the finish on the floorplate. It looks off, and may be one of the reasons it has not sold yet.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
But to be clear, the sporter classics, NON featherweights in 7mm Rem Mag should have a 26” barrel?

I did see that rifle early on, it was a hair more than I wanted to pay and the hinge plate bugged me. Lol. I’m more comfortable with the price now and I might do it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
But to be clear, the sporter classics, NON featherweights in 7mm Rem Mag should have a 26” barrel?

I did see that rifle early on, it was a hair more than I wanted to pay and the hinge plate bugged me. Lol. I’m more comfortable with the price now and I might do it.
Yes; except the early classic supergrades which had 24” barrels.

We will leave the BOSS for another thread. 😬

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I’ve seen some fine rifles on some other sites. They are so fine I’ve been asking myself “is a .338 Win Mag REALLY too big for whitetail or can we make it work.” Lol.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I’ve seen some fine rifles on some other sites. They are so fine I’ve been asking myself “is a .338 Win Mag REALLY too big for whitetail or can we make it work.” Lol.
Ha ha. Don’t ask Beretz’s

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It’s not couesdeer’s.

Couesdeer rifle would fit beautifully in my safe. Love the look of that rifle and serial number range I like to keep under 150,000 no real issues with higher but that is what I like. Stainless and walnut my all time favorite look. All my model 70’s if not pre 64 are stainless.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ldg397
It’s not couesdeer’s.

Couesdeer rifle would fit beautifully in my safe. Love the look of that rifle and serial number range I like to keep under 150,000 no real issues with higher but that is what I like. Stainless and walnut my all time favorite look. All my model 70’s if not pre 64 are stainless.

It's a nice rifle and fairly priced. I'm surprised it has not sold yet. I also like the stainless walnut fwt's. At the moment I only have one: A 30-06

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You and I both BSA.

Market is definitely soft.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a walnut and stainless featherweight in 243 5 digit. My other stainless walnut isn’t a Winchester but 1895 guide gun in 45-70. I had special edition 270 when they first came back South Carolina guns stainless and walnut. It really was a great gun wished I hadn’t sold. I mostly end up with the stainless synthetic because they are so much more common but I love the walnut and stainless.

I think the whole economy is soft. The last 3 -6 months local gun store went from a dozen used guns on a rack to like 5 or 6 racks full and a lot of nice guns available even stuff I haven’t seen in awhile. If I only had the funds to snap them all up.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There have been some very good deals of late. Even online.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ldg397
I have a walnut and stainless featherweight in 243 5 digit. My other stainless walnut isn’t a Winchester but 1895 guide gun in 45-70. I had special edition 270 when they first came back South Carolina guns stainless and walnut. It really was a great gun wished I hadn’t sold. I mostly end up with the stainless synthetic because they are so much more common but I love the walnut and stainless.

I think the whole economy is soft. The last 3 -6 months local gun store went from a dozen used guns on a rack to like 5 or 6 racks full and a lot of nice guns available even stuff I haven’t seen in awhile. If I only had the funds to snap them all up.

Bidenomics^^^^ FJB!!! Really a good time to buy right now, not really a good time to sell. Hang on to your model 70's if you can. However, I've been seeing some damn good deals. Even on pre 64's. Saw a couple std's for $800.00. Watching a std wt 25-284 right now. It's been rechambered, but that rifle isn't going to sell for over $600.00. I may be the one that buys it for that price too. Comes with a die set, brass, loaded ammo and components, and it's scoped.

Speaking of fwt rifles, the last one (pre 64 270 fwt) I bought was cheap (I have $525 into it now, after selling the scope), and I'm hanging on to that one!!! Good thing for the OP, it's kind of a buyers market right now. If you have the money, take advantage of it. I can't buy them all!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That 7 Rem of Couesdeer is pretty nice. I haven't ever had a SS/Walnut, just one of the BACO maple/SS SHOT show rifles. Pretty nice rifle, I can definitely see the appeal of them.

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Now if a nice pre 64 supergrade would show up under market I could probably find the money!! 😂

I may need to finally go up to the Tulsa show this fall.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Yeah, I’m watching one on another site right now and offered a new poster with no feedback his asking price without haggle as long as he’d simply let me verify the FFL had the rifle in front of him before I paid. The guy said that was just too much work to go through and wanted to be paid up front instead before even going to the FFL. Maybe I am being difficult but seemed wierd to me. I’ve noticed that private sales and pricing at my bass pro gun library are not any different. Really no reason to take risks on private sales unless you have a regular poster selling. I thought private sales would be a lot cheaper but that’s not the case right now. My local bass pro gun library knocked 20% off of a listed sale because I asked for it and backed it up with blue book values. They had to call corporate but they did do it. Still probably paid too much but they negotiated.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, I’m watching one on another site right now and offered a new poster with no feedback his asking price without haggle as long as he’d simply let me verify the FFL had the rifle in front of him before I paid. The guy said that was just too much work to go through and wanted to be paid up front instead before even going to the FFL. Maybe I am being difficult but I’m in sales so I treat customers a little different. I’m always nice about it either way. Maybe he’ll change his mind. Maybe not. I’ve also noticed that private sales and pricing at my bass pro gun library are not any different. Really no reason to take risks on private sales unless you have a regular poster selling. I thought private sales would be a lot cheaper but that’s not the case right now. My local bass pro gun library knocked 20% off of a listed sale because I asked for it and backed it up with blue book values. They had to call corporate but they did do it. Still probably paid too much but they negotiated.

Yeah, I think you are right inline. I have seen just as many good deals from regular stores as private folks.

AK sent a 30-06 P64 Fwt this morning the fella has priced like a Supergrade of the same model. "Collector" edition.. grin

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
How much should a 5 digit serial supergrade in 7mm go for? Those are still in the 1500 range or is that high or low or what? I found one with a 24” barrel. Think I’d like a 26” on that round but maybe it doesn’t matter. I’m a deer blind hunter so not exactly roughing it in the mountains.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
How much should a 5 digit serial supergrade in 7mm go for? Those are still in the 1500 range or is that high or low or what? I found one with a 24” barrel. Think I’d like a 26” on that round but maybe it doesn’t matter. I’m a deer blind hunter so not exactly roughing it in the mountains.

1200-1500 depending on the wood and condition is normal.

I'll take a 24" on a 7 Rem all day long myself.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

1200-1500 depending on the wood and condition is normal.

I'll take a 24" on a 7 Rem all day long myself.

A 24" works just fine. Like I said earlier, I've had them cut down to 23" as well.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Cool. Thanks for all of y’all’s help. I think I have enough info to make good decisions about what I’m after and also pricing. Thanks again.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
One more question....

Tell me about the values of something like a Classic Sporter in 270 Weatherby Mag vs. an XTR in the same caliber. I see the 24" XTR selling for 750 and the Classic Sporter with 26" barrel going for over 1000. What drives this? Why the swings in pricing? The caliber is expensive to shoot but same caliber nonetheless, both walnut.

Last edited by Brazosdog; 09/26/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
People want the Classic most times over the XTR in just about any caliber!

XTR's are nice and usually excellent but I'd step right over one for the Classic, both rifles being in the same condition myself.

Semper Fi
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The XTR is push feed while the Classic is controlled round feed.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
People want the Classic most times over the XTR in just about any caliber!

XTR's are nice and usually excellent but I'd step right over one for the Classic, both rifles being in the same condition myself.

That's generally how I see it as well. When you compare them side by side, both having the same furniture. I grew up with CRF though. Always hunted sporterized m1917's. Nothing really wrong with the XTR though. I think it's just personal preference from the old guys, preferring the controlled round feed. Mainly pre 64's. I'd take one of those over a classic, BACO (Browning), pushfeed etc. etc..

When I see this thread pop up, and other fwt threads, I think of my pre 64 270 fwt. Haven't even developed a load for that rifle yet, but I can tell it's going to be a shooter.

I also wish the OP good luck in finding exactly what he's looking for. He's been bouncing around an awful lot. That's good sometimes, but sometimes too much indecisiveness will bite you in the butt. Just pick one, use it for a while. Then pick another one, use it a bit. Keep doing that, until you know what you like. For myself, I'd take a damn good shooting 30-06, 338wm or 270 fwt over some of the rifles he's been looking at. I went through my magnum phase when I was young (in the 80's-90's). Used them for about 20 years. Still love some of them, but also have no use for others.

BSA MAGA
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a 7mm Rem Mag Westerner, with factory 24” barrel and sights, standard contour. These were a Cabela’s run, BACO; found a Supergrade stock and bottom metal so it’s a bit of a hybrid. With scope all up it’s a shade over 10#, so I definitely can appreciate the 24” Featherweight idea. Certainly not a mountain rig, but scary accurate.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks again for the info. So, the first M70 I ever bought was a 1964 .30-06. It's a push feed. I bought it from an old guy that wanted to dump his guns since he didn't hunt any more. I paid 350 for it. The bluing is about 70% and the walnut stock was toasted in terms of finish. It has a crack in the stock and a missing piece of wood. This was before I knew about CRF vs. Push feed. I spent two months stripping, sanding, raising grain, sanding, and then TruOil'ed the stock to a high gloss with no open grain. I even took a piece of the walnut stock inside the butt end and used it to make a patch for the split and missing piece in the fore-end. Currently, I cannot locate that repair. It's blended that well. It shoots great. Then I ended up with a Classic FWT in 7mm-08 and decided at that point the price of a Classic Sporter and the CRF was a perfect match for me. I am working on a couple deals right now, if I get them, I'll let yall know. Again, I greatly appreciate the info.

It is amazing how much something like a CRF or a fancy walnut stock can bump a price on a gun by a few hundred bucks. The Super Grades are a good example. It's the same gun, but that wood....yeah, it's nice.

Again, the 7mm RM is my key right now, but it looks like there is nearly no gain to be had from it over a .270 Win.

Last edited by Brazosdog; 09/26/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Typically, and I haven't had many, but the SuperGrades seem smoother all around than a standard, and that along with the wood makes them pretty sought after by some.

Good luck, hope you find what you like!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GF1
I have a 7mm Rem Mag Westerner, with factory 24” barrel and sights, standard contour. These were a Cabela’s run, BACO; found a Supergrade stock and bottom metal so it’s a bit of a hybrid. With scope all up it’s a shade over 10#, so I definitely can appreciate the 24” Featherweight idea. Certainly not a mountain rig, but scary accurate.

The problem with the weight of your rifle is in the stock and probably the glass, also keeping in mind they do not make a fwt 7mm rem mag barrel profile. I have multiple magnum rifles that weigh 8 pounds scoped. I'd also trust them to hit their mark very consistently out to 500 yards. I don't know where you hunt, but in most cases, the 8 pound all up will suffice 9 times out of 10. I have had some tags that I knew would require a rifle set up to reach past 700 yards with consistency, so I chose to go the 10 pound all up route myself. Higher magnification, better glass, AO's, and stronger internals so you can twist turrets reliably add weight. BTDT on all the above, but most times a nice 8 pound (all up) works just fine.

The funny thing is I have fwt rifles that weigh more than my magnums. It all boils down to stock choice on those rifles. These are model 70's of different era's.

Let's not even talk about Tikka's. A different subject altogether, but fun mentioning here. Have one that I'm selling to a buddy, that is 7 pounds all up and chambered in 300WSM. It's easily managed, generally shooting in the .6's. with the right yahoo behind it. My buddy is a SWAT member, but still shoots it in the .8's, or around 3/4". That's a different subject all together. But wouldn't it be nice to have a 7 pound all up model 70? Especially a magnum rifle. Now, that would indeed be a true "featherweight"..

BSA MAGA
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by GF1

The problem with the weight of your rifle is in the stock and probably the glass, also keeping in mind they do not make a fwt 7mm rem mag barrel profile. I have multiple magnum rifles that weigh 8 pounds scoped. I'd also trust them to hit their mark very consistently out to 500 yards. I don't know where you hunt, but in most cases, the 8 pound all up will suffice 9 times out of 10. I have had some tags that I knew would require a rifle set up to reach past 700 yards with consistency, so I chose to go the 10 pound all up route myself. Higher magnification, better glass, AO's, and stronger internals so you can twist turrets reliably add weight. BTDT on all the above, but most times a nice 8 pound (all up) works just fine.

The funny thing is I have fwt rifles that weigh more than my magnums. It all boils down to stock choice on those rifles. These are model 70's of different era's.

Let's not even talk about Tikka's. A different subject altogether, but fun mentioning here. Have one that I'm selling to a buddy, that is 7 pounds all up and chambered in 300WSM. It's easily managed, generally shooting in the .6's. with the right yahoo behind it. My buddy is a SWAT member, but still shoots it in the .8's, or around 3/4". That's a different subject all together. But wouldn't it be nice to have a 7 pound all up model 70? Especially a magnum rifle. Now, that would indeed be a true "featherweight"..

No, the glass adds very little to the weight of this rifle, and it is far from a “problem”, as I intended it as a beanfield/antelope rifle. The main source of weight is the small .284” hole in a standard weight barrel, as well as the relatively heavy figured stock. The Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 adds a bit also. I’d not change a thing with it.

Last edited by GF1; 09/29/23.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

262 members (1lessdog, 2ndwind, 204guy, 280shooter, 264mag, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 2,032 guests, and 645 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,445
Posts18,507,878
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.