Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Every fall for years, a high school friend & I go on an annual hunt together when he passes through my state on his way to visit his sister for Thanksgiving. During that time, he has repeatedly mentioned the idea of traveling to Africa to go hunting when we both retire in a few years. Because this might actually happen based on how well I know this person, I decided to educate myself by asking some questions of some more experienced hunters just to learn a bit more about a type of hunting I've only read about in books & magazine articles (many of them years ago when I was much younger).

In a different thread I posted on using DG rifles for PG hunting, a substantial number of posters recommended the 375 H&H as the rifle I should consider acquiring if I was going to get a left-handed bolt action. It's a caliber I can find in LH models and the ammo is readily available world-wide. I agree that for plains game hunting and possibly buffalo that this is a solid choice. It doesn't hurt that it's a classic which I have a nostalgic affinity for.

While no one has to convince me that this is a smart, practical & probably the more affordable option, the repeated mentioning of the larger .4** size calibers in that thread did pique my interest a bit. I have a single-shot 1885 in 405 Winchester that I love to shoot. But I have never shot or known anyone who owns a more powerful bolt action commonly used on African game. Over the last several months I've enjoyed reading various posts by members of these forums on their favorite large-caliber rifles. But to hopefully get some additional input from other hunters and get this information condensed into a single post, I thought I would ask about it here:

Question: What is your favorite .4** caliber suitable for large game (especially African & Alaskan)? I'm curious about the 404 Jeffery, 416 Rem Mag, 416 Rigby, 416 Ruger, 450 Rigby, 458 Lott, 458 Win Mag & any other ones I might have missed. Pros? Cons? Why do you like it? It's always interesting to see what other hunters get rid of & what they decide to keep.

The reasons don't all have to be technical as "sentimental favorite" is a legitimate response. Telling me that the juice isn't worth the squeeze & I should just stick with the more common 375 H&H is a good answer too. But history has shown that I don't always do the smart thing. Sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants (this applies equally to rifles & women). Because my left-handed shooting could make the effort to acquire an LH bolt action of this size a challenge, an obvious option would be to acquire an affordable & currently available 375 Ruger Hawkeye African and have it rebored to 416 Ruger since they use the same parent case. So any suggestions on rebores or rebarrels of known LH models is always a tip that's appreciated since the nuances of how certain rounds don't feed well through particular rifles aren't always obvious. A mention of a favorite custom gun maker would be great too since I may need one depending on where this goes in the future.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don’t have any big-bores and have no experience with them, but if it were me I’d want the 416 Rigby….jus’ because! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by memtb
I don’t have any big-bores and have no experience with them, but if it were me I’d want the 416 Rigby….jus’ because! 😉 memtb

Fortunately, “jus’ because” is a totally legitimate reason for acquiring a new rifle. 👍

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your .405 WCF may be all you need.
I shoot the .405 and .458 and both have been effective in the USA and Africa on game from Ele on down through Leopard. Proper bullets are the key.

I shoot the .308 and .338 and skipped the .375.

Enjoy.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Based on ability to kill elephants cleanly, the 404J, 458 WM, 460 G&A are my choices.

Although I’ve shot the 450 Rigby Rimless quite a bit, circumstances have prevented use on elephants thus far. No reason to believe its performance won’t duplicate the above 45 cartridges, as the ballistics equal or surpass those listed. So pending a field test, it will probably join my list.

All these cartridges penetrate very deeply in a straight line with monolithic solids of proper design, break heavy bone without deflection, and kill thick skinned DG quickly. That, in the end, is the acid test after all. All can be chambered in rifles of reasonable weight which can be carried a long way and shot without undue recoil. Especially important when walking long distances and delivering follow up shots when needed.

Just my 2 cents based on my limited experience.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by crshelton
Your .405 WCF may be all you need.

Thanks for the info. My 405 is a single shot with a 28" barrel. This new rifle I'm thinking about would be shorter and have several rounds in the magazine. So my interest in other large calibers is definitely not a criticism of the 405 which I do like. It was mainly a reflection of a desire for a different rifle configuration.

Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
All these cartridges penetrate very deeply in a straight line with monolithic solids of proper design, break heavy bone without deflection, and kill thick skinned DG quickly. That, in the end, is the acid test after all. All can be chambered in rifles of reasonable weight which can be carried a long way and shot without undue recoil. Especially important when walking long distances and delivering follow up shots when needed.

Taking a cursory look at the various bullet weights, velocities & energy these rifles were producing, I had a high level of confidence that they were all more than adequate for just about anything I would attempt to do. I figured the nuances that might make one more popular than another would come down to things that a reader would have trouble discerning just by looking at numbers on a page. But it's nice to know that the chances of making a bad choice are low.

Thanks for reminding me of the 460 G&A. I saw that my favored Ruger #1 was chambered in that caliber once & I had to look it up to familiarize myself with its origins. I've enjoyed following your G&A post this past year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll never make it across the big pond to hunt. If I did, I'd take my .375 Wby and call it "good".

But that's not a .4** So, I have this walnut Model 70 Classic .300 Wby that I have no real use for. Always thought it'd make a beautiful .470 Capstick.

Just because.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Always thought it'd make a beautiful .470 Capstick.

Just because.

My friend who keeps talking about going to Africa has a .470 Capstick. But his "just because" is the fact that he's a big rifle looney with over 100 rifles. So it never surprises me what he has in his collection.

The funny thing about that is the hunting we do each fall is at the opposite end of the spectrum from what we're discussing in this thread. On that hunt we're going after squirrels with pneumatics. grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a 404 Jeffery made on a LH Model 70 action. I got back about a month ago using it for the first time on dry land hippo. I was shooting a 400 grain Barnes Banded Solid, flat nosed bullet. I had them loaded by Safari Arms and they were doing about 2200 feet per second out of the muzzle. I was very pleased with the performance of this set up and results. I plan on using this same set up for Cape buffalo and elephant in the next couple of years. I’ll be using 400 grain Swift AFrames for the buffalo. All that said, I went with the 404 Jeffery when I was looking to go above my 375 H&H because the nostalgia appealed to me, it has a great history of preforming and based on my research I felt the recoil might be a bit more manageable, which I think it is, for me. CZ 550s in magnum length actions are also good candidates for a re-barrel/conversion to a 404 Jeffery. I will says the biggest draw back for me has been the expense and limited availability of ammo/components. Best of luck with whatever you decide. Hunting in Africa has been one of the greatest experiences of my life, I hope you get to experience it as well.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My choice too, is the 404 Jeffery, which I have taken (5) times to Zambia. I now shoot 430 gr. North Forks out of her, both softs & solids. I’ve taken a couple of Buffalo using 400 gr. SAFs.

Yes, I was also attracted to the nostalgia of the round as well, but equally to the ballistics (2,300 fps) and the reduced recoil compared to my 458 Lott with 500 gr. @ 2,300 fps., a noticeable difference.

But also, in a Dakota/ParkWest, my two 404J rifles weigh 8.5 lbs., which are a delight to carry on a long Buffalo stalk. And, being a maker of custom rifles, Dakota (now ParkWest) can make you a left handed rifle.

Last edited by surefire7; 09/23/23.
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I had a 416 Rigby some years ago and sold some years later for twice what I paid. Today it is a 416 Rem M70.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by surefire7
...I was also attracted to the nostalgia of the round as well,

But also, in a Dakota/ParkWest, my two 404J rifles weigh 8.5 lbs., which are a delight to carry on a long Buffalo stalk. And, being a maker of custom rifles, Dakota (now ParkWest) can make you a left handed rifle.

All things being equal, nostalgia for a classic round could easily tip the scales for me in the direction of an older design. I had seen LH Dakota rifles in the past (I even bid on a 76 once but didn't win) and as a falling block fan, I liked some of their model 10's. But they kind of fell off my radar screen after they were sold. The individual rifle pages don't mention LH models but the Hunters Catalog does. So I might have been looking in the wrong place when I visited their site a while back. Thanks for the tip. My memory tells me that Cooper used to make larger calibers before they were sold & plans were made to move operations to Arkansas. But their caliber selection tops out in the 35 Whelen / 33 Nosler range now.

EdM, normally I don't think of fluted barrels as something I would do but I have to say that is one sharp-looking rifle. I think the barrel band in the middle that breaks them into two sections looks really good. I'm also not a fan of the way a really fat black recoil pad looks but yours is red and a good size. So thumbs up on that too. Too bad the bolt is on the wrong side. wink

Seilders, a left-handed Model 70 chambered in 404 Jeffery would be a really nice rifle to own. Thanks for the specific round info. A few years ago my daughter was in Mozambique so I flew over & took her to South Africa, Zambia, Botswana & Zimbabwe. We spent time in both the Chobe & Mosi-oa-Tunya National Parks. It made a big impression on both of us & was a very memorable trip.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
When Dakota was sold, it was taken over by Ward Dobler, the Dakota shop foreman, and all of his workers at Dakota stayed with him. So, none of the Dakota artisans left. ParkWest is really the old Dakota with a new name.

I ordered two ParkWest rifles, a 404 Jeffery Savannah (the old Dakota Safari model), and a 338-06 Custom Deluxe. I was Gobsmacked when they arrived. Gorgeous rifles, and super accurate, shooting less than an inch at 100 m. I think they are as good or better than the old Dakotas!

The only downside is, the prices have gone up from the old days of Dakota (name something in America that has NOT gone up recently).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by odonata
Always thought it'd make a beautiful .470 Capstick.

Just because.

My friend who keeps talking about going to Africa has a .470 Capstick. But his "just because" is the fact that he's a big rifle looney with over 100 rifles. So it never surprises me what he has in his collection.

My thinking............which is usually frightening........on the Capstick was thus:

If....... IF......... I ever made it to Africa, the 500-600 grain aspect with the frontal area of a greyhound bus was enchanting. Yet, if I never got across the sea, I could "plink" with .480 Ruger/.475 Linebaugh bullets and still hunt our local black bears (they can go over 700 lbs) with some 500's. Not that my .375 Wby can't and hasn't crushed some big bears with supreme authority. But something newer and meaner is never a bad choice.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The .458 Win Mag has always been my favorite 40+ rifle.

The 3 loads that l currently load are:
550gn Woodleigh at 2080fps
450gn Woodleigh Hydro at 2300fps
480gn Woodleigh at 2150fps

All these loads work well in my rifle and I've never had a problem loading for it.

Recently however I had a rifle built in caliber 425 Express and the longer l own it the more and more impressed l am with it.
For those who don't know the 425 Express is the .300 Win Mag necked up to .423" to give ballistics comparable to that of the 404 Jeffery but in a standard length action.

The 2 loads that I use in my 425 Express are:
400gn Hornady DGX at 2300fps
360gn Atomic 29 monometal HP at 2450fps

Both of these loads shoot to the same POI and with the 360gn Atomic 29 it has a useable trajectory out to 300m.
As l said earlier, the more and more l own and shoot the 425 Express the more l am impressed with it.

Russ

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...
odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
BadboyMelvin, I remember reading your post in this forum when you got that rifle a couple of months ago. I was unfamiliar with the 425 Express so I did some research on it after I read about your new rifle. It seemed like the cartridge designers did a pretty good job of achieving their intended goal with that one. For international travel, having properly headstamped ammo would be a consideration to factor in. A quick Google search shows that it is possible for me to go this route right now if over thinking & endless planning wasn't my preferred modus operandi. The consideration of a new acquisition is never settled until every option has been pondered & I'm filled with regret by all of the great deals I let slip through my fingers while I was waiting to make the decision. grin

Last edited by odonata; 09/24/23.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No Africa experience but I have killed moose and caribou when we lived in Alaska with my 400 Whelen. I’m especially fond of the Woodleigh 400 grain round nose, though I can find no fault with the 400 grain Hawk RN or the 300 grain Barnes TSX.

Last edited by mart; 09/24/23.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'll never make it across the big pond to hunt. If I did, I'd take my .375 Wby and call it "good".

But that's not a .4** So, I have this walnut Model 70 Classic .300 Wby that I have no real use for. Always thought it'd make a beautiful .470 Capstick.

Just because.

👍 When I built my .375 AI, an African hunt (or two) was the driving force behind the build. I never made it over there either…..but, I still fantasize about it! So, it get’s used here…..the money wasn’t completely wasted! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If I'm choosing a rifle larger than a .375 H&H, I'm choosing a .458 Lott currently. Worked splendidly for me on an elephant bull this spring. May give it a whirl in 2025 for another cape buffalo. If I did not have a .375 H&H (for some, unknown, reason) I'd choose a .416 of one flavor or another (Remington vs Rigby depending on rifle size).

I've had numerous instances where I've been temped by a .404 Jeffery, but I keep talking myself into using those funds for another hunt. Every .404 I've looked at will cover at least two cape buffalo trophy fees.

Brandon Gleason
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, it's all good.
Having done too many myself, much to the chagrin of my ungrateful heirs,
I would say the no-holds-barred way to go is to get a .416 Ruger Hawkeye for training wheels,
and a .458 WinMag as your ultimate expert rifle.

Phil Shoemaker notes near identical performance of the .416 Ruger to his 404 Jeffery,
in both terminal effect and overall handling.
But he probably still prefers the .458 WinMag he has been using since the early 1980s, a MkX Mauser with 21" barrel,
as best prescription for the pucker.

Get a .458 Winchester Magnum for the ultimate rifle savoir faire.
Handload it correctly and it will out-do the .416 Ruger (and .416 RemMag) in both reach and smash.
Re-barreling a Ruger M77 Hawkeye of any H&H belted case head from 7mmRemMag on up is perfect.
Single loading to COL as long as the .458 Lott will out-do the .458 Lott: Higher velocity or lower pressure or both.
It can have the sheet metal box and the bolt-stop-ejector re-worked to 3.6" COL length if ever desired.
That is all it takes.

Meantime you will have two rifles that can be made twins for overall handling.

BTW, mentioning the .450 Rigby (a me-too late-comer) without the forerunner .450 Dakota (460 Weatherby with belt turned off): Tisk, tisk.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I have a CZ550 chambered in 416 Rigby that I want to rebore to the 470 Mbogo. I have 280 500 grain Barnes TSX bullet that can easily be driven to 2500+ FPS.
The Mbogo load as above should leave a mark that A-jax can't get out.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Speaking of fun for fun's sake: 470 Mbogo named MuleNear

[Linked Image]

That was my first and only checkering job, done on a laminate stock for the BBK-02 action and Pac-Nor barrel.
Covered up the booboos in the right side lightning bolt by "inlaying" a Hammer of Thor
and a mbogo head silhouette over the booboos.

Then when the tang cracked on the laminated stock,
it was repaired and the grip was wrapped with stainless steel wire, and the whole mess covered over with more epoxy.
Then the entire stock was painted with clear epoxy inside and out.

The grip is like the Selous Side Plate of Thor.
Norse mythology tells of a "power glove of Thor" that he used to wield the hammer Mjolnir.
I call this 470 Mbogo rifle "Mjolnir" but I pronounce it "Mule Near" because that is how it kicks with top loads.
It weighs 10.5 pounds as shown, no ammo or scope,
4 ounces lighter than my 470 Capstick,
3 ounces lighter than my 470 NE DR,
but 3#11oz heavier than my .475 Linebaugh Ruger No. 1 (6#13oz).

The 2.5x20mm Leupold is nice on MuleNear.

[Linked Image]

Future fun might include switching to Varget (grain for grain as RL-15 replacement)
and loading to over 2700 fps with the 500 grainers.
Also, this case capacity is near identical to 470 NE.
Standard 470 NE loads would make nice plinkers.
Go even lighter with the handgun bullets for .475 Linebaugh and 480 Ruger.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Do you know where to find dies and a reamer?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got dies from CH4D.
The reamer came from JGS IIRC.
I bought it and left it with my Gunsmith.
He might still have it, used only once.
This way lies madness, but everybody is crazy about something or their life gets sappy.
If you can get some dies, I'll look for the reamer.

You may need a new barrel if that is a factory CZ .416 Rigby barrel,
or cut it down to very short for enough wall thickness at muzzle.
Not ideal with all that powder to burn.
Would make for a very nice muzzle flash.

My twist rate was 1:16", 6-groove, for 470 Mbogo, muzzle diameter was 0.750" at 25" crown,
Pac-Nor "custom" contour.
CIP twist for the NE is 1:21".
A-Square used a 1:10" twist on the 470 Capstick.
Ruger used a 1:18" twist on the .475 Linebaugh.
Take your pick of twist.
1:12" or 1:14" might be nice.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Are you interested in selling your dies?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heavens no.
I ain't dead yet.
Still crazy after all these years.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am biased to the .400 Whelen because it has been a lot of fun playing with mine. Have shot a fair variety through it but pretty well settled on the 300 grain Hornady for plinking/light game and either the 350 Hawk or 360 North Fork for elk/moose/etc. Maybe not a “stopper” but certainly leaves an impact on the target without abusing the shooter. Mine is not throated properly for 400 grainers without seating them way down and they don’t feed as well as the 300-360 grainers in my rifle (100% reliable now).

A factory alternative would be the 450/400 3” but may be limited to single shots and double rifles???

I have a .458 WM getting fitted to a McMillan as we speak. Looking forward to playing with that quite a bit in the coming years. Seems like a good option with a wide bullet selection.

I have a bunch of .416 Ruger Ammo but the ease of making .416 Taylor (I believe Raven Rock has some properly headstamped) makes that a nice option for those of us that like screwing around with wildcats that underperform vs. factory offerings smile

I also have a 375 Ruger getting fitted into an oregunsmithing stock that is pretty light. Doubt it will be much fun to shoot but for a packing rifle it will be a joy to carry and the 20” barrel should be plenty handy. Not a .40 Cal but a pretty good do-all setup.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by surefire7
...I was also attracted to the nostalgia of the round as well,

All things being equal, nostalgia for a classic round could easily tip the scales for me in the direction of an older design. I had seen LH Dakota rifles in the past (I even bid on a 76 once but didn't win) and as a falling block fan, I liked some of their model 10's. But they kind of fell off my radar screen after they were sold. The individual rifle pages don't mention LH models but the Hunters Catalog does. So I might have been looking in the wrong place when I visited their site a while back. Thanks for the tip. My memory tells me that Cooper used to make larger calibers before they were sold & plans were made to move operations to Arkansas. But their caliber selection tops out in the 35 Whelen / 33 Nosler range now.

EdM, normally I don't think of fluted barrels as something I would do but I have to say that is one sharp-looking rifle. I think the barrel band in the middle that breaks them into two sections looks really good. I'm also not a fan of the way a really fat black recoil pad looks but yours is red and a good size. So thumbs up on that too. Too bad the bolt is on the wrong side. wink

Seilders, a left-handed Model 70 chambered in 404 Jeffery would be a really nice rifle to own. Thanks for the specific round info. A few years ago my daughter was in Mozambique so I flew over & took her to South Africa, Zambia, Botswana & Zimbabwe. We spent time in both the Chobe & Mosi-oa-Tunya National Parks. It made a big impression on both of us & was a very memorable trip.

I did it to get the balance corrected when the McMillan stock dropped the weight 8 oz.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Literally my second centerfire rifle when I was a kid was a 458 Win Mag. I lived remote in Alaska and killed everything with it. Have had a full range on big bores except 416s. 3 calibers that have had a memorable impact for me have been the 458 win mag, 500 3” and 577. The 500 3” has a great balance of recoil and penetration. Really a well balanced 21” 458 win mag works for me. That being said, I find more utility in a 9.3x62 or the 375 wby.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
BTW, mentioning the .450 Rigby (a me-too late-comer) without the forerunner .450 Dakota (460 Weatherby with belt turned off): Tisk, tisk.

I feel appropriately chastened. I was out looking at the ammo online vendors carried & lazily just copied some of those to post an examples list. So to revive an excuse from high school, I didn't get it wrong: The person I was cheating off of did. There was 450 Rigby ammo in stock. But no 450 Dakota to be seen (was it ever produced commercially?). So let's just blame Gordy & Sons for this egregious omission.

Re-barreling a Ruger M77 Hawkeye of any H&H belted case head from 7mmRemMag on up is perfect...Meantime you will have two rifles that can be made twins for overall handling.

A very good piece of information to know. Since I already have a Sako 85 Hunter in 30-06, if I went 458, I might keep that in the Sako line too since they're a left-hand friendly company like Ruger. I have options!

Originally Posted by MedRiver
I also have a 375 Ruger getting fitted into an oregunsmithing stock that is pretty light. Doubt it will be much fun to shoot...

While the smart choice for me "feels" like a 375, I wanted to think about it a bit to really make sure. As much as I like the kick & boom of my 405 Winchester with its metal butt plate, something tells me I might enjoy something with a little more oomph even more. I'm pretty sure I don't need it. Just trying to figure out how much I want it...

Originally Posted by smallfry
That being said, I find more utility in a 9.3x62...

I love my Ruger #1 in 9.3x74r!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
For some years my favorite was a CZ 550 .416 Rigby, which was purchased slightly used due to actually having fired Harry Selby's famous rifle, which he eventually sold to one of his clients who lived in Arkansas.

It kicked a lot less than expected, so I modified the CZ to match Selby's, which weighed 9-1/4 pounds with its express sights. It also recoiled comfortably, and I used it as my primary dangerous game rifle for a while--both with the express sights and a scope, which brought the weight up to 10 pounds.

It killed buffalo well with 400-grain bullets at the traditional velocity of 2350-2400 fps, but generally buffalo shot with the .375 H&H didn't go any further before falling. And that includes buffalo shot by hunting partners with the .416 Remington and similar rounds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
I had a 416 Rigby some years ago and sold some years later for twice what I paid. Today it is a 416 Rem M70.

The 416RM is the most practical choice. Ballistically the twin of the Rigby in a shorter, handier action(in it's original offering and yes I know you can stuff more powder into the Rigby case, that's what Weatherby does and adds a belt). That said I DO own and like my 416 Rigby very much, but if one is going to tote that HUGE action, might as well make it a 505 Gibbs! smile

Edited to add, but my favorite plus 40 (other than big tits) is my Verney Carron 450 NE 3 1/4"

Last edited by jorgeI; 09/25/23.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guns are just guns until you shoot something with them.

50’s have always been interesting…

50 Express…

50–100-450…

50-70…

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
That said I DO own and like my 416 Rigby very much, but if one is going to tote that HUGE action, might as well make it a 505 Gibbs!

Other than the fact that I absolutely positively have no need for a 505 Gibbs, I have to admit that your logic is flawless so I guess it needs to go on the list. Some people might be put off by the $18 per round for some factory ammo, but if you don't shoot it a lot is that really a valid criticism?

"I'm shooting a 505 Gibbs" does sound pretty awesome. grin

Originally Posted by shrapnel
50–100-450…

That Winchester 1886 is quite nice!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
416 Ruger with 400 grain Swift A Frame in Ruger 77. 4 buffalo and 2 zebra. All one shot each. Ruger needs polishing. Only downside is ammo tough to find in Africa if yours does not make it. Ballistic equivalent to 416 Remington or original 416 Rigby. 416 Remington is more common in Africa. 416 Rem or Ruger rifles are much lighter and shorter action. I sold 416 Rigby CZ because it was like driving a garbage truck. I have a NECG receiver sight that fits the Ruger milled bases. Still looking for a way to store receiver sight on rifle.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bobmn
4 buffalo and 2 zebra. All one shot each.

While the question I originally posted here was to give me ideas and insight into larger caliber bolt actions, your post does bring up one option that I've discussed elsewhere. I'm a fan of Ruger #1's because I'm right-handed but shoot left & I've always liked their ambidextrous design plus their simplicity. Earlier today while surfing around I saw a ParkWest 404 Jeffery for about $14k. If I really wanted a large caliber rifle then buying a factory left-handed 375 H&H bolt action and also getting a Ruger #1 in any of the dozen large calibers it comes in could be done at a fraction of the cost of that ParkWest I saw. I don't think I would ever personally go hunting for dangerous game with a single shot but certain larger plains game might definitely be doable. I would need to become more proficient on my followup shooting in case, unlike you, it took me more than one shot. I have several options to consider and buying a practical 375 bolt action and then a Ruger #1 if I really want a big .4** caliber rifle is a possibility. If I did that then other rimmed cartridges like the 450/400 would be looked at.

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
4 buffalo and 2 zebra. All one shot each.

While the question I originally posted here was to give me ideas and insight into larger caliber bolt actions, your post does bring up one option that I've discussed elsewhere. I'm a fan of Ruger #1's because I'm right-handed but shoot left & I've always liked their ambidextrous design plus their simplicity. Earlier today while surfing around I saw a ParkWest 404 Jeffery for about $14k. If I really wanted a large caliber rifle then buying a factory left-handed 375 H&H bolt action and also getting a Ruger #1 in any of the dozen large calibers it comes in could be done at a fraction of the cost of that ParkWest I saw. I don't think I would ever personally go hunting for dangerous game with a single shot but certain larger plains game might definitely be doable. I would need to become more proficient on my followup shooting in case, unlike you, it took me more than one shot. I have several options to consider and buying a practical 375 bolt action and then a Ruger #1 if I really want a big .4** caliber rifle is a possibility. If I did that then other rimmed cartridges like the 450/400 would be looked at.

I'm a little late to the party here, but I have some thoughts/experiences that might be helpful. Well maybe not, but here goes anyway...

I have a half dozen cape buffalo hunts under my belt. All but one have been shot with a 404 jeffery. The other was shot with a 450 Rigby. Sadly, I lost my first buffalo shot with my 404 Jeffery. My fault, not Jeffery's!

Most PH's I know say the 375 H&H is adequate, but the 40's are better. Based on my limited experience, I agree with this assessment. A 400 grain bullet at about 2200 fps - 2400 fps is just about perfect for cape buffalo. The 450 Rigby hits them noticeably much harder. I have used the 375 H&H on plains game. I took the 375 H&H loaded with 250 TSX to Africa a few years ago to shoot plains game and serve as a back up to my 404 Jeffery. It worked fine on the plains game, but I'm sure glad I didn't have to use that combination on buffalo because that bullet didn't pass through neither an eland nor a sable. If I was to use the 375 H&H on buffalo I would have it loaded with a heavier bullet such as the 270 or 300 TSX.

I love the 404 Jeffery, but it has a few downsides aside from its storied history and stellar reputation. First the gentle slope on the case shoulder makes setting FLR die a little tricky to get the right headspace clearance. Second, the .423 bullet diameter is an odd duck which makes component/ammo availability a challenge at times. IMHO the perfect buffalo cartridge would be based on the 404 Jeffery case (smaller than the Rigby case for ease of transport and action size), necked down to .416 for bullet availability, and the shoulder blown out the 30 degrees for easier hand loading. This of course describes the 416 Dakota, which never became popular and was discontinued by Dakota many years ago. Yet, it (the 416 Dakota) stands alone as my theoretical choice for the perfect cape buffalo cartridge for bolt action rifles. Everyone else's opinion is likely different.

All that said, I imagine in today's world the 416 Rem or Ruger would be the top pick. However if I could get the ammo and components and the funds, I'd go for the PW 404 Jeffery and also get the Ruger No 1 in 375 H&H as a back up and awesome plains game gun.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
LJB, thanks for the detailed reply. Feedback like this is very useful in helping to sort through the variables I need to consider. In the end, I may not be able to execute the perfect decision, but at least I'll be making an informed one. Based on the hunting I have been doing in the southeast, I have a small collection of rifles that could work as a back up. But a couple of those were single shots with longer 28" barrels and I felt a shorter rifle might be more useful. The questions I was asking were geared more towards larger bolt actions in anticipation that I might need a quicker follow up shot.

So if as you suggested I acquired something like a PW in 404J, then my Sako 85 Hunter in 30-06 or my Ruger #1 in 9.3x74r could be looked at as a possible backup. But several posters have made compelling arguments for rounds like the 416 Rem Mag, 416 Ruger & the 458 Win Mag that I think I would be able to acquire at a more affordable price which is always a consideration based on expected usage. Do I want to be practical or do I want to give myself a really nice retirement gift? Or as BrandonGleason posted earlier do I want the bulk of my funds go to funding additional hunts? I enjoy sifting through the possibilities.

This is the PW 404J rifle I saw earlier. Would uglier & cheaper rifles get the job done? Absolutely. But it would be fun to own something that nice in an LH version.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I am a believer the 458's are "more". But, the 416's obviously are no weaklings. I have some of both.

For Alaska the 416 Ruger certainly gets my vote. My favorite rifle / cartridge combination just might be a non-braked 20" stainless 416 Ruger Alaskan. I have no kept up with smaller ammunition companies offerings in the past several years. But, hand-loading there are obviously many good/great options.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is exaggeration run amuck about the weight and bulkiness of the .416 Rigby.
I got to handle one of the originals, built on a standard M98 action, just like Harry Selby's was.
Yes, opened front and rear by the experts at Rigby of London, same action usually used for a .30-06.
Like Mule Deer, I was impressed with how similar it was to the CZ 550 Magnum in .416 Rigby in weight and handling.
Smaller action and heavier barrel on the original Rigby, not a Magnum Mauser 98, standard M98, cobbled just right.
CZ in the Hogback walnut stock with skinny 25" barrel and true magnum action was 9.25 pounds when I weighed one too.
Liveliest and best balanced of all the CZ 550 Magnums.

Here are couple more true-magnum-actioned rifles more powerful than the .416 Rigby that weigh 9.5 pounds exactly,
with iron sights only, and no ammo:

[Linked Image]

.500 Mbogo, my wildcat of Dave Estergaard's design, it is a .510/470 Mbogo 3-Inch:

[Linked Image]

My first cape buffalo was killed with a .416 Rigby, my second one with a .500 Mbogo.
Both were shot the same, through the heart and breaking the offside shoulder.
Both one-shot kills, both ran about 50 yards before dropping.
But the one shot with the .500 Mbogo bucked about twice as high into the air upon impact.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My blue eye is dominant over my green eye.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ParkWest Arms:

https://parkwestarms.com/

Where is the price list ?
If you gotta ask you don't want to know ?

I worked in South Dakota in the early part of this century.
I visited Dakota and Jamison Brass in Sturgis several times.
Both gone now.
At least Dakota lives on in ParkWest Arms. That is good, I guess.

I ended up with only one Dakota Arms rifle. The Long Bow M76 in .338 Lapua Magnum, happy with that.
I would have bought at least one other Dakota Arms rifle, except they would not sell an M76 without a walnut stock.
You would have to buy walnut and have them fix up an MPI separately.
I already had a walnut .450 Dakota Magnum 98 from Cabela's, strangely enough.
So I just bought brass and reloading dies (.450 Dakota, .416 Dakota, .423 Dakota) and made a general pest of myself in Sturgis.

Oh, yeah, I got a Dakota M76 African action from Brownells and went my own way with that ...
yep, got stuck with an MPI for that,
bedded and reinforced with an oak block in the foam-filled-open butt, by Bubba himself.
Gunsmith put a recoil pad on it for me.

[Linked Image]

Yes indeed it is funny that the .416 Dakota was not a best seller.
Homemade one with 24" Douglas barrel, 1:12" twist, No. 5 Sporter, HS Precision stock,
surprisingly light at 8 lbs. 7 oz:

[Linked Image]

Here is my homemade M76 African with MPI stock, McGowen 23" barrel, chambered for another wildcat
which I claim all blame for, the 404 RIP, aka the .423/.416 Rigby Improved Plus:

[Linked Image]

The improvement to the .416 Rigby case was only by changing the funky 45* shoulder to a 20* shoulder,
just like on the original .416 Ruger, on a Ruger Number built for Bill Ruger's birthday in 1991,
brass not made by Jim Bell until 1997. Bill Ruger was born in 1916.
Hence the odd headstamp below:

[Linked Image]

I use the .423 Dakota dies as a neck sizer for the 404 RIP.
No need for a .423 Dakota nor 404 Dakota here.
Also have a 404 Jeffery made on an M70 RUM stainless action with Brown Precision stock.

By golly my Magnum-actioned 404 RIP weighs exactly 9.5 pounds too, bare and unloaded, with Talley peep.
It and the .416 Dakota are the only bolt action repeaters that I use Talley bases with,
kind of got stuck with them before I learned better.
Yes they are stuck on with J-B Weld to the actions.

The 404 Jeffery M70 weighs 8.5 pounds, bare and unloaded, peep-sighted, 24" barrel.
The Brown Precision stock required no oak block in the butt.

The oak-butted 404 RIP does not do enough more than the 404 Jeffery to justify its existence.
It is also butt heavy whereas the 404 Jeffery has delightful balance with its No. 4 Sporter McGowen barrel.
The 404 Jeffery makes a great African Sheep Rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is the only regret I have in rifle chambering:

[Linked Image]

I had the barrel screwed off of a CZ 550 Magnum 404 Jeffery factory rifle,
stock had already been replaced by CZ USA after the fancy walnut snapped off at the wrist.
The barrel was replaced by a .410-caliber Douglas No. 4 sporter, stainless, 1:14" twist, 6-groove, 26" long.
A Wisner pocket floor plate, Lapour 3-pos. safety, and Timney trigger were installed.
Then the crime was the chambering.
It was chambered for the .410/404 Jeffery Rimless Nitro Express.
Brass is formed by sizing the Norma 404 brass in 450/400 NE 3" dies.

[Linked Image]

B is the .416 Dakota,
A is the .410/404 JRNE, with a shoulder weaker than that of the 404 Jeffery.

I made the mistake of firing one of the rimless cases in a 450/400 Ruger No.1
to see if the shoulder was adequate to head space.
It was not. A case head separation with new Norma brass occurred.
No harm to Ruger No. 1.
No misfires when rimless rim is held in CZ 550 Magnum claw extractor.
I guess it headspaces on the extractor.

I still have the 404 Jeffery barrel to screw back onto the rifle.
The true magnum rifle as picture above weighs 8 lbs and 15 ounces.
Rebore the .410 to something bigger, or get the .416 Dakota shoulder reamed into it ...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.416 Taylor

This 26"-barreled Ruger M77 MkII weighs 8 lbs. 2 oz.
Shilen No. 5 Sporter, 26" long, 1:14" twist , tupperware stock,
easily +2400 fps with 400-grainers from the 26" barrel:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.416 Weatherby Magnum Mk V "DGR" weighs 8 lbs. 14 oz. when minus the scope, rings, rail and muzzle brake
and no ammo onboard:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Muzzle brake is mandatory if Talley ring use is unwisely attempted:

[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am lost on what the 458 Win does better than the 416 Rem?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMHO, EdM's.416 Remington Magnum rifle would be a lot more interesting if it was a .458 Winchester Magnum
that shoots 404-gr Shock Hammers of about 0.419 G1 BC at faster MV than a .416/400-grainer can do
from a .416 RemMag at 65,000 psi SAAMI MAP.

Hence the .458 WM+ housed in the M70 Long Action would have a flatter trajectory and greater impact at all ranges.
It could certainly beat the .416 RemMag at lesser pressure, whatever MV is desired.
The standard SAAMI .458 WinMag of 3.340" COL pushes 400-grainers to +2400 fps MV at 60,000 psi MAP.
Assume 24" barrels all around.

Jacketed and monometal bullet weights from 250 grains to 600 grains: .458 Win
Cast bullet versatility outstanding, even paper-patched and BP, with even greater weight range of bullets: .458 Win
Subsonic to near Mach 3: .458 Win
Greater powder variety versatility: .458 Win

You can even make better birdshot/snake loads with the .458 WinMag than with a .416 RemMag.
I will concede the .458 Lott might make a better shotgun.

.416/400-gr SD = 0.330
.458/500-gr SD = 0.341

.416 RemMag: 400-gr at 2400 fps and 65,000 psi

.458 WinMag: 500-gr at 2200 fps at 60,000 psi:

The .458 WinMag will out penetrate the .416 RemMag on game animals if a proper FN monometal solid is used.
When you get to 2200 fps little is gained on penetration by going faster,
other than shock and awe,
more to the shooter than the shootee.

Thus the .458 WinMag is better at long range with 404-gr Shock Hammer.
It is better on elephant at close range with a 500-gr FN.

Those are routinely attained MV's with 24" barrels.
Winchester is loading the 500-gr Nosler Partition and Solid at 2,240 fps.
Hornady used to offer 500-grainers at 2260 fps, soft and solid, when their bullets could not handle it.
Lately they have backed off to 2140 fps with better bullets.

This reminds us of a possible explanation for why Winchester reduced the MV of .458 WM factory loads
from 2125 fps with their 500 & 510-grainers (standard from 25" barrel since 1956),
to only 2050 fps in 26"-barreled double rifles.
They were catering to the .458 WinMag double rifle craze that sprung up when the rimmed DR ammo got scarce.
It was not because of any problems with the .458 WinMag.
It was because of the abuses of the ammo by shooters of double rifles,
lower pressures for the delicate things.
Factory goofs and bad storage of aged ammo can explain any anecdotes of the
.458 WinMag bullets dropping to the ground right out of the barrel in deepest Africa

The .458 Winchester Magnum is without peer. It is the King of +.40-bore hunting rifles.
Everybody ought to have at least one of them as a show of good judgement.
Re-barrel or re-bore your .416 RemMag to .SAAMI .458 WinMag, and you will have two rifles in one.
A SAAMI .458 WM and a .458 WM+.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My 350 gr TSX handload was not lacking at 130 yards on buffalo or 250 yards on kudu. How far have you hunted your 458 so loaded?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Gunner500, used the 404 gr. Shock Hammer loaded to 2500+ FPS to take a Warthog at 200 yards.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by jwp475
Gunner500, used the 404 gr. Shock Hammer loaded to 2500+ FPS to take a Warthog at 200 yards.

Easy shot with the 416 Rem and the 350 gr TX. Maybe I am missing something? I'm still not seeing the advantage from those actually killing game. A 358 Win 200 gr TSX worked on a big wart hog at 240 yards in 2015.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
EdM,
Lately I have been killing deer at only out to 200 yards.
I am planning all my future hunting with the .458 WM to 300 yards, dead certain.
I don't want to leave it all to the kids.

I was taking game at 342 yards (Laser) with a Ruger No. 1 .416 Rigby and the old 350-gr Barnes-X during the late 1990s.
I killed caribou at 350 yards with the .340 Wby in the 1980s.
One time, out at 350 yards I had to shoot twice, so that probably ought to be my limit
with a non-tacticool-tool sporting rifle.
One shot meat, two shot maybe, 3 shot heap big crap.

I killed both moose and marmot at 100 yards with the .458 WinMag but then,
in the 1980s I succumbed to propaganda
and sought way too many rifles, invented over two dozen wildcats of my own.
Established a new caliber of my own, .395, and 5 wildcats for that, barrels by Harry McGowen, custom bullets galore.

A couple of member here have used the 404-gr Shock Hammer to do one-shot kills on cape buffalo
with their .458 WinMags.
Gunner500 was one of them and used the same load extensively on plains game beyond 200 yards.
He left his ammo behind with a PH and one 404-gr Shock Hammer dropped a big bull giraffe.
Amazing bullet for an amazing rifle.
All one-shot kills by their expertise.
I am proud to claim being the instigator of that bullet.
I got Hammer Bullets to put their design to a 400-ish grain bullet of .458-caliber,
meant for all-purpose soft-point use, near and far.
The 404-grain Shock Hammer is what we got.
+2500 fps at COL of less than 3.4" is easy in a standard .458 WinMag.

If young whippersnapper EdM keeps being a pest, he is going on ignore.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ron,Thanks for sharing the interesting photos of the rifles & the associated rounds. As a left-handed shooter I've always been very fond of companies who cater to my particular minority...except for Weatherby. And there's no good technical reason for that slight that I can justify. I think it's totally aesthetic. For whatever reason (e.g. the Monte Carlo stocks, the longer barrels, the brand-specific calibers that are mostly magnums, the big recoil pads, my friends didn't shoot them, etc.) there was always something about that brand which didn't appeal to me. Which is a shame because for this particular discussion, some of their offerings might have been a good recommendation.

At auction I've seen left-handed 416 Rem Mag ($1560 & $1920), 460 Weatheby Magnum ($2040 & $2280), 458 Lott ($1800), 416 Weatherby Magnum ($1080), etc. The only thing I haven't seen is anything very desirable. A few have been okay if I squinted from a distance but for reasons of personal taste, they are just not doing it for me. Hence the no mention in my original question.

Having said that, your Weatherby is not too bad. Maybe the older LH models that are now showing up at auction were just uglier.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
EdM,
Lately I have been killing deer at only out to 200 yards.
I am planning all my future hunting with the .458 WM to 300 yards, dead certain.
I don't want to leave it all to the kids.

I was taking game at 342 yards (Laser) with a Ruger No. 1 .416 Rigby and the old 350-gr Barnes-X during the late 1990s.
I killed caribou at 350 yards with the .340 Wby in the 1980s.
One time, out at 350 yards I had to shoot twice, so that probably ought to be my limit
with a non-tacticool-tool sporting rifle.
One shot meat, two shot maybe, 3 shot heap big crap.

I killed both moose and marmot at 100 yards with the .458 WinMag but then,
in the 1980s I succumbed to propaganda
and sought way too many rifles, invented over two dozen wildcats of my own.
Established a new caliber of my own, .395, and 5 wildcats for that, barrels by Harry McGowen, custom bullets galore.

A couple of member here have used the 404-gr Shock Hammer to do one-shot kills on cape buffalo
with their .458 WinMags.
Gunner500 was one of them and used the same load extensively on plains game beyond 200 yards.
He left his ammo behind with a PH and one 404-gr Shock Hammer dropped a big bull giraffe.
Amazing bullet for an amazing rifle.
All one-shot kills by their expertise.
I am proud to claim being the instigator of that bullet.
I got Hammer Bullets to put their design to a 400-ish grain bullet of .458-caliber,
meant for all-purpose soft-point use, near and far.
The 404-grain Shock Hammer is what we got.
+2500 fps at COL of less than 3.4" is easy in a standard .458 WinMag.

If young whippersnapper EdM keeps being a pest, he is going on ignore.

Comical at best. Do you really think I GAF about your useless views? You are a silly pphhuuccckk>

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Re-barrel or re-bore your .416 RemMag to .SAAMI .458 WinMag, and you will have two rifles in one.
A SAAMI .458 WM and a .458 WM+.

Sir Ron.

As usual, another provocative idea. After taking a small step in the direction of a 458 WM+ by rebarreling a Ruger Hawkeye 404-375 Ruger to 458 WM, I’ve been thinking about a good way to put together a true 458 WM+. The passage above may be the answer.

There’s a Win M-70 Classic chambered in 416 Rem Mag sitting unused in the safe. A ‘nice rifle’, but given my penchant for 404s - 4 versions sitting in the safe now - in the heavy medium class and my tepid-at-best opinion of the 416 Rem Mag, it doesn’t get any use. Been thinking about rebarrelling it with a spare 416 Rigby Ruger No. 1 barrel sitting on the workbench - and rechambering it in some odd shortened wildcat - but haven’t been able to get back to the shop recently.

Looks like I’ll need to pull out that 416 Rem Mag and take some measurements of the barrel. If it pans out the barrel will likely be on its way to Jesse O at JES for a 0.458” rebore. Weight and balance will likely be favorable and with 458 WM finishing reamer, it might all work out.

Time to look at the chamber spec diagrams and do a bit of mulling on feasibility. Only down side is creating another alternative to the resurrected Ruger RSM 450 Rigby Rimless I’ve been wanting to get over to Zim for the proverbial ‘next time’.

Loony wildcatter fevered minds just don’t seem to rest or reason. But as JOC said “It’s all about fun and games.” Given that life’s all too short, let the games resume!!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Crank:" I was impressed with how similar it was to the CZ 550 Magnum in .416 Rigby in weight and handling"
I disagree. I owned a CZ550 Magnum. It weighed as much as a M1 Garand. It had a 25" barrel screwed onto an action longer than M98. If I could afford a M98 modified to take the longer 416 Rigby I am sure it would handle better than a CZ550 Magnum but I have never handled one. Not only did the Ruger work great in Africa chasing buffalo but it has served me well in Alaska in bear country.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
All the rifle advise is good and each has their place but I haven't seen anything about what you want to hunt. Theres no reason (other than I want one which is good enough) for a big bore if you aren't going after any nasty stuff.
I have only been to Africa twice so my experience is more limited than others. I used a 416 Taylor to take most everything from a Wharthog to Caper Buffalo on my second trip. The Taylor is a great caliber but you need to handload for it.
Your left handed so a suitable big bore in a LH rifle might be hard to find and undoubtly harder to sell later on. You have a 405 and like single shots so do I. I have #1's in 375,405 and 450-400 among others. If your safari is to be plaings game only your 405 is a fine canidate if you want something a bit bigger than the 450-400 is a good choice. If you have a LH rifle that your not in love with then consider rebarreling it to something you like maybe the 416 Ruger if it will accomadate the change.
Big bores aren't only for Africa, I load mine down and deer hunt with them. A 270 will tear up a deer worse than my 375, 405, 416 Taylor, 450-400 or .500 BPE
Whatever you decide to do one thing is certain you will have a great experience.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
One of my shorter shots at 130 yards.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Big bores aren't only for Africa, I load mine down and deer hunt with them. A 270 will tear up a deer worse than my 375, 405, 416 Taylor, 450-400 or .500 BPE
This is the item that got the ball rolling so to speak. In a previous post, I had asked the question about shooting deer-sized game with cartridges like you listed because I wanted to know if I was going to be mangling or destroying the smaller game.

All the rifle advise is good and each has their place but I haven't seen anything about what you want to hunt.
I only have plans to hunt plains game. The largest most dangerous animal currently under consideration is buffalo. This is just long-term planning since retirement is still a few years away (I'm 62). A high school friend of mine is keen to go to Africa and keeps talking about it but no definitive plans have been made yet so I'm just trying to educate myself. The advice I've been getting has been excellent & much appreciated.

Theres no reason (other than I want one which is good enough) for a big bore if you aren't going after any nasty stuff.
I'm not going after any nasty stuff. The most common advice in the previous thread was that I could accomplish my goals with my LH Sako 85 Hunter in 30-06 & a LH 375 H&H. Two classic calibers with wide ammo availability was considered a solid recommendation that covered a lot of situations. So that makes this particular thread more of a "I might just want one" kind of question. From published numbers describing the cartridges being discussed, I was pretty sure before I even asked the question that everything listed was going to be more than adequate for anything I would likely be doing.

I keep things pretty simple & after the kids left for college & the Army, I downsized substantially. So I don't have a large collection of rifles nor the room to store many more. I have ten centerfires with four of them being Ruger #1's & four being 1885's. Since I already have eight single-shot falling-blocks, my questions focused on acquiring LH bolt actions because that's what I wanted advice on. I started this thread for three reasons:
1) I didn't know much about these cartridges & had never shot them.
2) I wanted to know why some hunters preferred one over the other.
3) I think I would really enjoy shooting a larger caliber based on how much I like the slightly smaller ones I currently have. The fact that I don't really need one isn't carrying as much weight in the decision-making process as it probably should.

If your safari is to be plaings game only your 405 is a fine canidate...
My Winchester 1885 Traditional Hunter in 405 is setup with iron sights to be used for primitive hunting in MS & LA. So the range is as good as my eyesight which is nothing to brag about. I do have a Winchester 1885 High Wall Safari Octagon in 375 H&H with a Swarovsk Z6 1.7-10x42. It's 10.7#, 46" overall with a 28" barrel. So once I sort out which large-caliber bolt action I want to anchor the top of my collection, I'll decide where to use my 30-06, 9.3x74r, 375 H&H & the 405. Obviously once an actual hunt is planned, a more informed decision can be made. I'm just absorbing information & opinions right now.

If you want something a bit bigger than the 450-400 is a good choice.
Going with the initial recommendation of a 30-06 / 375 H&H combination and then adding another Ruger #1 in a big unnecessary caliber just for the fun of it is an option being considered. I do like rimmed cartridges like my 303 British, 9.3x74r & 405 in a single shot so the 450/400 would be a good fit. This was a possible Plan B if acquiring a large LH bolt action proved difficult or prohibitively expensive. At this point, no options have been rejected.

If you have a LH rifle that your not in love with then consider rebarreling it to something you like maybe the 416 Ruger if it will accomadate the change.
About 18 months ago I came across a LH Cooper in 8mm Remington Magnum at an attractive price. But it was a caliber that didn't seem to be a good fit for my selection goals at the time. Now that this thread makes me realize what its 375 H&H parent case could have been rebored to in the 416~458 range, I wish I had a time machine. My Sako is my only LH centerfire so nothing available to rebore. All the rest are ambidextrous single shots (plus a Wilson Combat in 300 HAM'R just to have something from the current century).

Whatever you decide to do one thing is certain you will have a great experience.
Thanks! We usually always have a good time (even when everything is going sideways). I'm enjoying the research part right now. This has been great.

EdM: Nice looking buffalo!

Last edited by odonata; 09/26/23.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Buy a big bore and use it on whatever you want.

This is my .460 Wby mag and some rabbits I killed with it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Buy a big bore and use it on whatever you want.

This is my .460 Wby mag and some rabbits I killed with it.

That's excellent! Thanks for sharing the photos. grin

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
A few more rabbits killed with the .460 Wby.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My big caliber rifle used to be a 416 Rigby. Now it’s a 45-90 1885 Win and/or a Marlin 1895 and a 1886 Win in 45-70. These don’t add up to many of the powerful rounds the op is talking about. But if I were going somewhere to shoot dangerous game I would go with my pre-64 Mod 70 chambered in 375 H&H AI or maybe my Mauser 98 in 375 Whelen AI if they allowed it.
I find I now have more of a limit regarding big guns on how much I accurately shoot. Same with revolvers I find that a fully loaded 320 grain cast load in my 44 Magnums satisfy my needs.

I’m thinking a 375 H&H is all that is needed for everything on the planet. But going after elephant, hippos or Cape or lack of same puts me in an “armchair quarterback” category.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by EdM

At 130 yards has DG become PG?

The way life should be.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bluefish
Originally Posted by EdM

It's hunting so take the oportunity that's presented.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM

Pure comedy.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I very much enjoy the .416 Taylor loaded to duplicate the .404/.450-400 with 400gr bullets at 2150. It's quite manageable and effective. At eight pounds it's also pretty nice for carrying. All I've killed with it so far are deer and brown bears.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Once you add Buffalo into the bag the financial aspect changes drastically as dangerous game increases the daily rate a lot. I lucked out on my last trip as I did a 7 day plains game hunt in one area and a 7 day Bufflao hunt in another area. Basically I did two hunts with two different price points.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

Pure comedy.

Good to see EdM can make a joke.
I hear he is O&G retired.
Obstetrics & Gynecology does cramp a sense of humor.
At medical school graduation, the bottom 10% of the class
went into Orthopedics if they could bench-press more than their own weight.
the rest did O&G.
Latter were advised to take up the .416 Remington Magnum instead of the .458 Winchester Magnum.

Back before my enlightenment, I took a Ruger No. 1 .416 Rigby to a game farm in Tennessee.
That was with the 350-gr X-Bullet.
I shot a fallow deer doe at 342 yards.
Hit her in the bottom of her ribcage, just a little low, below the heart.
It unzipped her belly and her intestines popped out on impact.
Got that on video, old VHS zoomed in.
Can't fault the .416/350-grainer for that, just me.
But their was very little meat loss and it was a good start at field dressing.
Not the perfect one-shot kill, however.

Same day I also shot a one-ton water buffalo bull.
Ok, maybe it was a meat-steer past his prime and cast off to the game farm for a profit.
No balls, but he was sturdy, not confused about his gender.
Used same load, from 150 yards.
Hit him in the boiler room and he acted like it was a horse fly bite, just a little shiver of hide shake.
He started walking in tight circles.
Bumfuzzled, I reloaded the Ruger No. 1 and walked a hundred yards closer and shot him in the neck.
He finally dropped.

Moral of the story is that, ideally, buffalo should be shot at 50 yards, not 150 yards.
Do not let a lazy PH tell you to shoot at a buffalo moving through a clearing at 150 yards away
while you are perched on the side of a termite mound with wobbly shooting sticks about to go sideways,
unless you are the reincarnated Buffalo Bill in Africa with a 50-70 Trapdoor named Lucretia Borgia.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.. but given my penchant for 404s - 4 versions sitting in the safe now - in the heavy medium class and my tepid-at-best opinion of the 416 Rem Mag, it doesn’t get any use. Been thinking about rebarrelling it with a spare 416 Rigby Ruger No. 1 barrel sitting on the workbench - and rechambering it in some odd shortened wildcat - but haven’t been able to get back to the shop recently ...

... Looks like I’ll need to pull out that 416 Rem But as JOC said “It’s all about fun and games.” Given that life’s all too short, let the games resume!!

Sir Khulu,
You are a wise man.
I do love the 404 Jeffery also.
Will return the .410/404 JRNE to straight 404 Jeffery.
Rebore of that .410 barrel, or original factory barrel ...
Here is a nice 404 Jeffery in a Brown Precision stock that I rebuilt from fitting an M70 short action to fitting the M70 long action,
re-barreled .300 RUM:

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I wanted and have a 416 Rigby because that is what Harry Selby carried.

I also have a Whitworth MarkX in 416 Remington

Love 416s

Last edited by jwp475; 09/27/23.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I got to fire Selby's rifle around 20 years ago, which he'd sold to one of his regular clients, a guy from Arkansas. It was actually pretty lightweight for a .416, weighing 9-1/4 pounds, since it never had a scope mounted--and impressed me with the relatively tolerable recoil.

Bought mine from a friend a year or so later, a CZ 550 Magnum with the European high-comb stock--with a very long forend. I remodeled it to match Selby's rifle, both the weight and stock dimensions, and also slicked up the action a little so it fed easier. Used it on two buffalo, and worked very well, of course--but the second one was taken with Luke Samaras Safaris.

Luke is a long-time PH, first in Kenya until it was closed down, and then in Tanzania until it was closed for a couple of years. He then went to work for Rigby until Tanzania opened again. He had several fine dangerous-game rifles in various chamberings, but preferred a .416 Rigby bolt because it shot flatter and more accurately than larger cartridges, especially double-rifle rounds.

He liked that it could flatten a wounded lion at 200 yards, without having to hold over--but could also stop bigger game. Yet it operated at relatively low pressure compared to smaller .40+ rounds, which helped when he operated in the Selous, a pretty hot area. (I hid my thermometer when it hit 105 once day, and other days got hotter...)

We had quite a conversation about the .416, and I also got to take some photos of his genuine Rigby rifle--which he helped build. Might post one here later.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A thank you to everyone who posted replies to my question. There's a lot of useful information here that I do appreciate. As a general rule, I don't do a lot of things impulsively: I enjoy the planning phase too much. It gives me something to think about. For my intended usage, I feel that the majority of the ones being discussed here would work well for me as long as I do my job correctly. It appears the probability of making a bad choice is really low.

Having said that, there is a very good chance that the one that I choose will be the "great deal" that I stumble across that's for sale at an attractive price. If a LH 404, 416 or 458 materialized one day in the next several years & I really liked it, chances are high I might grab it based entirely on how rarely this occurs. At auctions with 500+ guns it's not uncommon to have less than ten LH rifles listed and most of them will be much more common calibers than what's being discussed in this thread. So random opportunity may be the deciding factor instead of desire or statistical superiority.

As someone who is fond of classic calibers, going to hunt in Africa with a 404J appeals on a lot of levels. If one of those ever appears (I can't remember ever seeing one), that would definitely grab my attention. If an affordable Ruger #1 appears in this caliber, I might grab it regardless of what else I've purchased just to own one for the fun of it. A Ruger #1 in a more available 450/400 is another one that might scratch that particular itch.

But when it comes to LH bolt actions, the main thing this thread has done has increased my appreciation for the capabilities of the 416 Rem Mag & the 458 Win Mag a lot. If time passes & it looks like an African hunt is going to become a reality, then rebarreling a readily available LH 7mm Rem Mag into the 458 Win Mag as Ron suggested will definitely start moving up the list as a viable solution. Fortunately I have several years to figure out exactly what I want to do so it'll be interesting to see what opportunities appear.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
You sound pretty logical. Were I in your situation I'd look for a left hand Model 70 .375 or a regular length magnum boltface, or a Ruger 77 chamberd for a magnum and then rebarrel to the .404 or .458. If you find one with enough meat in the barrel have JES rebore it to .458 for you.

Regardless, there's a alot of opinions out there with some strong feelings behind them. We all have to figure out what works best for our situation and application. Best of all, unlike religion, there are multiple correct options that lead to the same pile of large, formerly dangerous, dead animals.

I went with the .416 Taylor because it shoots bullets of great sectional density with good options in both heavier and lighter weights, is a commonly available diameter, could be housed in a light rifle to be carried alot, and can be formed from (in better times anyway) commonly available brass. It works for me and I'm happy with it but the reality is there's a number of options that would work for people looking for the benefits of a .40+ cartridge.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pabucktail
You sound pretty logical...If you find one with enough meat in the barrel have JES rebore it to .458 for you.

When I was looking around at rifles in the past, there were certain cartridges with a 375 H&H parent case that I would often ignore because they weren't on my To-Buy list (e.g. 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 8mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, etc.). Now that I know these could be a good base to build one of these larger caliber rifles off of, I'll evaluate them from a different viewpoint moving forward. For a JES rebore, I might have the best luck if I find a LH rifle at the more powerful end of the rifles I just listed.

The good thing about all of the cartridges listed above and the 458 Win Mag is that they have the exact same overall length at ~85mm. The 416 Rem Mag is 91.4mm so it's a bit longer. And rifles like the Ruger 77 have a magazine that is limited to 87mm. So not to knock the 416's capabilities but my guess is that I would run into less unforeseen feeding problems if I favored the shorter cartridge since both would be adequate. The good thing about any decision along those lines is that I can always post my plan here and have people throw rocks at it. As much as I appreciate you saying I'm logical, other people are more than happy to point out when I'm about to do something dumb too. wink

Last edited by odonata; 09/28/23.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Hey elkhunternm, thanks a lot for the link! As a big computer nerd, my internet searching skills are not too bad. It's almost a necessity because I'm often looking for a needle in a haystack.

In my Chrome browser I have about 60 searches grouped into 7 folders. All I have to do is right-click on the folder & select Open All (<count>) and it will open a new tab for each search. So I have searches on GunBroker, GunsInternational, eBay, etc. grouped by category & already setup, sorted & filtered to only show me the new stuff that's appeared in the last 48 hours. I can quickly see if any of the unicorns I've been searching for have popped up during the night while I'm drinking my coffee each morning. It's a methodical system that's worked pretty well over the years. I just glance at each tab & if I don't see anything interesting, I hit <Ctrl><F4> to make the tab close & on to the next list. It only takes a few minutes each day to look at a lot of stuff.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
👍

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crank:" I was impressed with how similar it was to the CZ 550 Magnum in .416 Rigby in weight and handling"
I disagree. I owned a CZ550 Magnum. It weighed as much as a M1 Garand. It had a 25" barrel screwed onto an action longer than M98. If I could afford a M98 modified to take the longer 416 Rigby I am sure it would handle better than a CZ550 Magnum but I have never handled one. Not only did the Ruger work great in Africa chasing buffalo but it has served me well in Alaska in bear country.

What !
In Botswana in 2001, the PH Ronnie McFarlane had .416 Rigby like Harry Selby used.
He was backing up an elephant hunter with it.
I was being soired for buffalo by the young PH-appy
who toted a CZ .416 Rigby that had a straight-combed, slim stock
unlike the Lux "Euro-Hogback" and "Fat-American" style stocks we got in the USA.
I fondled both and the similarity in weight and balance was remarkable.
I bought one when I got home and the Lux-stocked one weighed about 9.25 lbs with the
muzzle diameter of 0.667" at 25" length and integral "dognut" rear sight base,
and hidden heavy steel F-Block in the forearm barrel lug contraption.
I think I bought about a half dozen of the .416 Rigby CZ 550 Magnums and re-barreled them all
to a crazy collection of wildcats on the Rigby and .338 Lapua case heads.

Disagree with me and you must disagree with Mule Deer too ?

[Linked Image]

Those first CZs in those calibers had no cross bolts !
I had a gunsmith install them on mine and perfectly glass bed throughout, and still the 404 Jeffery snapped through the wrist.
Just bad grain, marble cake.
CZ kept the broken stock and I hope this taught them how to crossbolt and glassbed the later rifles,
as well as being more careful with stock wood selection,
and they started putting the "Kevlar" stock on factory rifle routinely,
instead of just selling them for $200 more than B&C does now.
That was almost 20 years ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big Red the meat steer water buffalo taken with Ruger No. 1 in .416 Rigby, old 350gr X-Bullet required two shots.
150 yards was like a horse fly bite.
50 yard neck shot ended it at the game farm.
I scored another dollar-per-pound bargain, last century.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
404 Jeffery Winchester M70, Brown Precision stock, decorated with J-B Weld inside and out.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When you find your buffalo at this range

[Linked Image]

crawl as close as you can, it was 80 yards here:

[Linked Image]

404 Jeffery M70 with 380-gr North Fork SSP at 2535 fps from 24" barrel did the job with one shot:

[Linked Image]

EdM, what a joker.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mutt and Jeff:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mutt is over 3 lbs heavier than Jeff.
Put Jeff in a 1.25 lbs stock instead of the 1.5 to 2 lbs stocks
and the difference would be 4 lbs.
Same scope and rings, same weights field ready except .416 Rigby ammo is a wee bit heavier than .416 Ruger (brass and powder),
for 4 rounds each, 3+1.

They may have the same muzzle whomps, but very different butt whumps.

The final Gen 3 RSMs had skinnier barrels shortened to 23".
The .416 Rigby then weighed about 9.5 lbs,
almost as light and lively as the 25"-barreled CZ 550 Magnum in Lux Euro-Hogback walnut,
almost as light and lively as Harry Selby's and Ronnie McFarlane's twin .416 Rigby rifles.

I left Ronnie my .416 Rigby ammo loaded with GSC FN 380-grainers at just over 2500 fps from my 24" Ruger RSM.
It was a bugholer and impressive on cape buffalo, so he heard from PH-appy.
He liked the South African make of the bullets, he was familiar with the Gerard Shultz product.
That .416 Rigby of his was stout in the barrel shank, ".416 Rigby For Big Game,"
and it was a standard M98 Mauser opened up at both ends.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mule Deer,

Hope you post Luke Samaras’ Rigby. It is always interesting to see the DGRs PHs use as tools in their work.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Nickudu Files at Nitro Express Forums has the excellent
Layne Simpson article
"Harry Selby's .416 Rigby Out of Africa"

http://ezine.nitroexpress.info/NickuduFiles/Africa-PDF/Africa317.pdf

From my paper files and the internet:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In Harry Selby's own words, recalling the "Kwaheri (farewell) Safari" of 1962 with Robert Ruark:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From the Layne Simpson article"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Harry quit using softs in his .416 Rigby, says the solids did a good job of stopping lion too.
The GSC FN 380-grainer from my monster Ruger that was 1.5 pounds heavier than Harry's
might have made it into Namibia from the Okavango after passing through a cape buffalo.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In Ron's first reply to this thread, he mentioned that finding a LH rifle based on a 375 H&H parent case would make a good candidate for re-barreling up to a 458 Win Mag:

Re-barreling a Ruger M77 Hawkeye of any H&H belted case head from 7mmRemMag on up is perfect.

While doing my usual early morning rifle searching, I came across something that I don't see every day: A LH rifle in 7mm RUM. Since the RUM series of cartridges was based off of the 404 Jeffery, then the question that popped into my mind was "Are there any caveats to re-barreling a LH RUM rifle up to a 404 Jeffery? Does the same advice that applies to 375 H&H parent case rifles apply to RUM rifles?".

The "problem" with the rifle I saw this morning was that it was a Remington 700. In another thread on a 9.2x62 v .375 Whelen variant for a build, Ron had advised against this particular model without going into detail about the basis of that recommendation.

Also, never a Remington 700, whether BDL or ADL if you can help it.

So the next question to ask is "When considering rifles for rebuilds to a 4** caliber level rifle to take to Africa, are there some models that are preferred & some models to be avoided?".

LH rifles to build up from are often found in 70, 77, 700, Sako, Weatherby, Browning A-Bolt / X-Bolt, etc. I think the only CZ or Zastava that is chambered in a suitable caliber for upsizing is the 375 H&H. They usually carry a premium price because LH shooters are fond of them & they don't appear very often. My inclination would probably be to just keep one of those as its original 375 H&H if I found one.

PS - Ron, I haven't been replying to each of your posts about various big game hunts using the rifles I'm curious about but I have been reading each one in detail & I appreciate you sharing the info & photos.

Last edited by odonata; 09/30/23.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After having owned a couple of 416 Rigby's, a 404 Jeffery, and now a 416 Remington. I am in the Remington camp.

The Rigby's (both CZ 550's) gave me headaches after 6-10 rounds. The 404 (converted RUM) was good for about thirty rounds. I have not reached a round count limit with the Remington (Model 70) shooting 350gr TSX's at 2590 fps. I have shot 50 plus rounds multiple times at the range.

I do not have any pics of it. But will get some up this week.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mule Deer,

Hope you post Luke Samaras’ Rigby. It is always interesting to see the DGRs PHs use as tools in their work.

Here's a couple of images, one close-up of the action area of Luke's .416, and another with the .416 to the right of his .470 double, which as I recall was a Westley-Richards. (Will check my hunting notes on that.)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Luke Samara's rifle differs from Harry Selby's, obviously.
Magnum action instead of standard M98, obviously.
Slightly longer barrel ... is it just 24" or did it go 25" like a CZ 550 Magnum and the SIG Magnum M98 ?
Has quarter rib instead of Selby's sleeve on the shank as a sight base: Shorter sight radius on the Magnum than the standard M98.
just to name a few differences.
It surely must weigh a bit more than Harry's,
but it surely looks just as well balanced and lively.
Harry's Mauser extractor was reshaped to allow push-feeding directly into the chamber, and CRF-ing the three rounds down in the box.
Luke's rifle probably holds 4 down in the box.

Harry Selby's muzzle diameter at 23.5" barrel length (11/16" or 0.6875") would,
if taper continued to 25" length barrel muzzle,
have a diameter about identical to the CZ 550 Magnum's 25" barrel on the factory .416 Rigby, 0.670" on one I measured,
the 9.25-pounder .416 Rigby from CZ.

Same contour was used on the .375, .416 and .458 CZ 550 Magnum rifles
with the hammer forged barrels from the Czech Republic.

The odd-ball calibers that CZ USA offered had barrels made by McGowen, button-rifled and duplicating the "dognut"
on the barrels for integral sight base and barrel recoil lug contraption.
The .404 Jeffery and .505 Gibbs barrels, both had 1:10" twist, NOT C.I.P. TWISTS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi odonata,

Of course the left-hand Remington M700 RUM rifles are going to be easier to find.
All the M70 Winchester RUM actions are highly valued for the ease of converting to .404 Jeffery.
I have taken 300 RUM barrels off three of them, for the .404 Jeffery, .416 Dakota,
and even a .338 Lapua Magnum wildcat (.500-caliber).
The latter also used a Sunny Hill drop bottom metal and the McMillan stock meant for that. Nice combo.

[Linked Image]

Using the M700 RUM action is fine, except it is not CRF.
The only action I've had that shaved brass and gummed up the plunger ejector into nonfunction
was because of that M700 pinky-finger-nail-like extractor.

So Win M70, Ruger, Dakota (ParkWest) CRF actions are better.
Insert lingo from ParkWest web site here:

[Linked Image]

https://parkwestarms.com/pages/catalog

CZ 550 Magnum retains the "Controlled Round Extraction" just like a true military M98,
and the proper Magnum M98.
The other commercial Mausers like Whitworth Mk X mostly do too, IIRC.
Not hard to check by looking at the side of the bolt where the extractor tongue rides in the groove.

So most of the CRF actions are not CRF & CRE like the true Mauser.
The Remington M700 is neither CRF nor CRE.

I can live with the CRF-only rifles, though a purist would insist that CRF+CRE only need apply for DGR use.

Hey, Ross Seyfried used a Remington M700 .416 Remington as his PH rifle.
Ross also went insane and "Denied" the .458 Winchester Magnum.
I own the Remington M700 in .375 RUM, .300 WbyMag and 7mm STW.
Good enough for rat guns.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Though Ross "denied" the .458 WinMag, he liked posing it at short COL
next to the .416 Taylor at Long COL.
And the .416 Taylor was used in a Blaser !
That is sick.

Ross said he turned a factory Remington M700 in .416 RemMag into a 2-pounds lighter working rifle
by having the barrel turned down and switching the walnut to fiberglass.
Brown Pounders are "one-pound" stock blanks, IIRC, before the recoil pad, paint and Bondo are heaped on.

What I learned from Ross:

1) Forend-tip swivel stud instead of barrel band. Lighter and does not affect POI as much if using sling for shooting aid.

2) If you must have a two-piece scope base stick out over the loading/ejection port, make it the rear one.
I call this the Single Seyfried Schtick. If both bases have hangover, it becomes a Double Seyfried Schtick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

I forgot to add the scope bases into the weight of the .416 RemMag above: Mighty close to 9.5 pounds.

About 1-3/4 pounds lighter as a .458 WinMag:

[Linked Image]

7#11-oz with scope bases, front sight and red dot sight on front scope base.
A receiver peep from NECG on the rear base would make it heavier than with the red dot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Horizontal split rings with independent main mount to bases: Stronger,
especially with 4 to 6 screws holding each ring top, torqued to 18 inch pounds and checked frequently,
and a good, square recoil stop at ring-base joint,
and main mounting screw/bolt torque-able to 65 inch-pounds, or more, and checked frequently.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Barrels for .40- to .458-cal. rifles:
No. 4 sporter for light,
No. 5 sporter for Goldilocks, just right.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sort of like proof that the CZ 550 Magnum .416 Rigby barrel contour was a lot like Harry Selby's .416 Rigby,
which was 11/16" diameter at 23.5" length, equivalent to about 0.670" diameter at 25" length.
A perfect contour for a .416-caliber rifle.
Just a tad fatter than the McGowen No. 4 sporter which has diameter of 0.670" at 23.5" length if not shortened any at the breech end.
That would be about 0.655" diameter at 25" length.
The CZ barrel is a tad fatter than the McGowen No. 4 Sporter Contour, just about identical to the "Harry 1949 Selby" rifle.
The integral "dognut" for rear sight and recoil lug contraption in forearm with steel F-block on the CZ
come pretty close to making effective weight of the barrel overall like Harry's more aesthetic Rigby contour.
Action weight differences and stock weight difference could then be worked to make good balance.
Both rifles weighed 9.25 pounds, 25"-barreld CZ 550 Magnum and 23.5"-barreled standard M98 opened up and given Magnum bottom metal.
Easy to understand, not so easy to accomplish in wood and steel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
More ideas:
The Yugoslav M98 Mausers have been available in .300 WinMag and such.
Were they available in left-handed actions after Remington, etc, started offering them ?

The Montana Rifle Company did M1999 rifles and actions for lefties, I am sure.
I like them, sad they are gone too, the way of the CZ 550 Magnum.
The 26 Nosler (having rebated rim) might be considered a derivative of the .404 Jeffery.
Fitting .532" rim instead of bigger Jeffery rim (~0.542")
it might take some bolt face work to fit the .404 Jeffery, but the magazine box below on the MRC works for 3+1 in fat-cased 26 Nosler.
The MRC M1999 action is roomier than a Pre-'64 Winchester M70 before it was factory-opened to hold 4+1 of .375 H&H.
Either one would make a great .458 WinMag.

[Linked Image]

With a red dot the .395 H&H is about 7 pounds even.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you must be sensible, this is hard to beat:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That Stainless Laminate one would deserve re-chambering to .375 Weatherby Magnum.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Crank: The grainy picture above of whom I believe to be Seyfried performing a bolt flick with a magnum length action reminded me of another reason that I sold my CZ 550 416 Rigby. Because of the extra length of the bolt I had to twist my hand on the forearm to cant the rifle so that the bolt cleared my check while maintaining my check weld. This is not necessary for me with the 30/06 length 416 Ruger.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

bobmn,

Gotta have a .30-06 action length, eh ?
That's OK.
The CZ 550 Magnum take-off barrel has threads with minor diameter same as the major diameter
of the barrel threads on a Pre-'64 M70.
A CZ 550 Magnum may not be totally useless to you.

I had one take-off barrel that went from 25" length to 24-7/8" when installed on a Pre-'64 M70 that started life as a .30-06
before someone re-barreled it to .300 WinMag.

[Linked Image]

Only had to be shortened by 1/8" at breech end to head space and time the sights to Goldilocks standards on the M70.
Remnant chamber was cleaned up with a SAAMI .458 WinMag reamer.
Same chamber as on the original factory CZ.

[Linked Image]

Parts is parts and that rifle is a bugholer with 500-gr TSX at 2250 fps, almost as accurate at +2300 fps,
loaded long COL.
More pleasant load to work as mag box repeater is 404-gr Shock Hammer at 2500 fps.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For odonata, in case I was not clear on the meaning of Controlled Round Extraction (CRE):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The CZ 550 Magnum has true M98 CRF & CRE:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Winchester M70 Classic opened up for the .338 Lapua/.416 Rigby bolt face on a .500/.338 Lapua Magnum Improved:

[Linked Image]

A CZ 550 Magnum bolt face for .416 Rigby, now a .510/.470 Mbogo,
claw face has been contoured to allow push-feeding but it is still CRF & CRE.
This makes it like Harry Selby's .416 Rigby in that feeding ability:

[Linked Image]

Compare to the claw face on the .505 Gibbs CZ 550 Magnum of first image in this post.
That one does not allow pushfeeding without a manual squeeze to the side of the extractor amidship,
which gives me the willies everytime I do it: Is the extractor properly tempered to spring back from such abuse ?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I have a CZ550 in 416 Rigby that l would love to turn into a 470 Mbogo

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Harry Selby's .416 Rigby M98 is a 1949 model, restored by Rigby and re-barreled.
My .458 WinMag M70 is a 1950 model, not restored by Rigby, but it was re-barreled twice.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is that sexy .375 H&H again, this time to show the factory glass bedding, minimalist effectiveness:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey Ron, This last weekend I was bow hunting for deer with limited cell connectivity so I got to occasionally read some of your posts but never replied to any of them. In my previous question, I had asked about recommended rifle models for re-barreling to larger calibers. My follow up question to that was going to be "Are there any particular features that a person acquiring these types of rifles should prioritize or evaluate before investing the money to upgrade one?". Fortunately, the people who have been replying to this thread have effectively answered that question pretty well with the examples & details posted. This thread is a really nice resource for someone curious about this particular range of rifles.

For odonata, in case I was not clear on the meaning of Controlled Round Extraction (CRE):

Since the majority of my rifles are single-shot falling-blocks, getting to see a variety of bolts up close is interesting. Eliminating the push feeds from the LH pool of rifles being considered does make this project more of a challenging scavenger hunt. But since there is no urgency and this is more of an education process than an acquisition one at the moment, forcing me to research & dig is not a negative. I'm smarter now than when I posted the original question.

More ideas:
The Yugoslav M98 Mausers have been available in .300 WinMag and such.
Were they available in left-handed actions after Remington, etc, started offering them ?

I really like the idea of owning a Mauser M98. Unfortunately, finding LH actions in that particular model can be a challenge. Especially affordable ones.

The Montana Rifle Company did M1999 rifles and actions for lefties, I am sure.

I have seen a few in the past but not any recently. But I added a focused MRC search to my collection in case anything interesting pops up in the future. The new Montana Rifle Company Junction model using the updated MRC2022 receiver has a note at the bottom of the web page saying that left-handed models would be available in the future. The 7mm Rem Mag, 300 RUM & 375 H&H caliber options are promising. That's not a bad-looking rifle if the bolt was on the "correct" side. wink

Here is that sexy .375 H&H again, this time to show the factory glass bedding, minimalist effectiveness:

I like sexy & minimalism (hence my Ruger #1 / 1885 appreciation). I've done a bit of wooden boat building so hopefully my glass work will be adequate if I ever have to reinforce a stock.

If you must be sensible, this is hard to beat:

I hope that practicality & common sense aren't the only criteria that drives this project. It's also nice to have a warm fuzzy feeling about the final result. At work I'm a computer nerd who stays on the cutting edge of technology. At home, things get a bit anachronistic: No cable, no streaming, tube amps in my stereo, B&W film that I develop in my cameras, a kick start motorcycle & rifles with wooden stocks & blue steel. It's a bit of a dichotomy.

As many pictures as I've seen doing this research of cracked wooden stocks around the drop & the magazine cutout, there is a solid argument that I should cultivate an appreciation for synthetic stocks that has heretofore not existed. This has not happened. So I've been reading about the various ways to reinforce a wooden stock instead. I'll reserve the sensible plastic option for my fallback plan should the classic nostalgia route not work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stainless Zastava M70 Sporting Rifles (true M98 but with side-safety like the FN commercial, etc.) were made left handed too.
Not imaginary.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If I had one like the above (from Rock Island Auction), I would learn to shoot it left-handed,
then have it turned into a .458 WinMag, and shoot it right-handed, working the bolt with left hand,
keeping rifle on shoulder with right hand while working the bolt.
A few PHs of note have been lefties who used rightie bolt actions.
If I ever lose my right eye, I will learn to shoot my right-handed rifles from the left shoulder.

A post from 2010 on the "Cast Bullet Association" forum:

Zastava Stainless Mauser actions, 30-06 and 375H&H size.
2.1K Views Last Post 23 May 2010

"... I have a matched pair of these actions, stainless steel new in each of these sizes. They are complete unbarreled heavy 98 style with adjustable triggers. I got them about 6yrs ago. I am about to get started on figureing out what caliber to chamber them in. So they are a mached pair. They are drilled for scope mounts and side mount target style open sights. But I don't find them listed anywhere. And 98 Mauser stuff does not fit as they are quite a bit heaver. The only other marking on them is KBI.inc I have not looked them up yet so that is my next step. So any info or expereance anyone has would be great to here about. And what would you chamber them in if they were yours?
1 30-06 bolt face and length, controled feed Mauser extractor.
2 375H&H Mag bolt face and longer magazine well and length, same extractor.
I have not ordered stocks or barrels yet. I could even make them switch barrel. Let's have some fun putting togather a package. Any use, target, hunting, plink'in. Then get to makeing chips. And see what we end up with ..."

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I would learn to shoot it left-handed,
then have it turned into a .458 WinMag, and shoot it right-handed, working the bolt with left hand,
keeping rifle on shoulder with right hand while working the bolt.
A few PHs of note have been lefties who used rightie bolt actions.
If I ever lose my right eye, I will learn to shoot my right-handed rifles from the left shoulder.

This is a question that I've thought about a lot. Basically should I just learn to adjust to shooting right-handed rifles off my left shoulder? I would definitely have more rifles & calibers to choose from. The last deer I shot was right-handed because of my position in the stand and some blocking foliage, there was no way I was going to twist to make the shot with my preferred left. I managed a 156-yard shot even though it was a struggle to get my right eye to focus well & get the shot lined up. I was fortunate that the deer cooperated. When I went goose hunting this past February, it was much easier at close range with a shotgun. I have an ambidextrous bottom eject Browning BPS so I hunted the first day left-handed, the second day right-handed & then switched back to left for the last day. I currently shoot my bow right-handed because I never take long shots (but I'm thinking of switching that to my left). My dexterity is good but my right eye ain't so great. It's hard to describe but basically I have to hunt around to locate clarity and avoid distortions on demanding shots. My vision isn't immediately clear when I put my right eye up to the sight or scope.

There's certain classic cartridges that I wouldn't have minded owning that never seem to have been made in LH bolt actions in any significant quantities (e.g. .257 Roberts, .300 H&H, .35 Whelen, etc.). They sometimes appear rarely as a custom. I can find these as RH models & I've been tempted a few times but ultimately I always decide I want a LH bolt. Fortunately there are several .375 H&H parent case rifles that appear regularly in LH models (7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag & .375 H&H being the easiest to locate) that this thread has shown me is a good path to the .458 Win Mag if I choose to go that route.

Question: When converting the .280 AI posted above to a .458 Win Mag, obviously you would need to modify / replace the barrel. But wouldn't this require work to the bolt face as well? If this is true, is this a trivial modification or does it take a bit of effort (i.e. expense)? Converting a .280 to a .458 Win Mag would not have been an obvious choice to me.

Until fairly recently, the LH Zastavas mentioned were fairly easy to find at prices that weren't exorbitant. I saw a really nice .300 Win Mag for $1k about 18 months ago. Since then LH Zastavas have jumped by about 50% to around $1500 which is what the Zastava .375 H&H used to sell for when they would appear. Like I said in my previous post, they can be found but they're not always subjectively affordable if all you want is the action to start building something off of. The cost sometimes makes me consider just being sensible & going with a sexy minimalist .375 H&H like was posted above. But figuring out the cost & seeing how that balances with my desire is part of the decision-making process.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Unfortunately for lefties you generally need to go the custom route if you want something that’s not mainstream.

I have two customs based on LH Zastava actions (458WM and 9.3x62) and sitting on a spare action for another project. They make a good basis for a custom but you do need to check them over before buying one. Some with less QC do seem to occasionally slip through the net. There’s plenty of aftermarket parts available such as bottom metal, triggers, safeties etc but the factory parts are also very serviceable. Don’t bother with factory Zastavas converted to 375 H&H. The factory conversion is very primitive. I made the mistake of buying one sight unseen and was very disappointed. It was going become a 404 and I ended up selling the rifle and barrel.

However at the prices you’re seeing for LH Zastavas I’d probably opt for a LH M70. They’re no longer made but they seem to come regularly enough and lately there have been some reasonably priced rifles in the US. Try to buy one with a magnum bolt face to minimise conversion costs.

Rarer and now quite expensive, CZ did make a LH version of the CZ550 magnum. They were only made in 375H&H for lefties. I managed to pick up one of these that I had converted to 458WM. Personally, I think the action is a bit too large and heavy for a 458 (or 375 H&H) and is better suited to larger case cartridges. The 458WM fits really nicely in a Zastava or M70.

For an inexpensive option consider a Ruger in 375 Ruger. Ruger made plenty of lefties. I have one but I much prefer using a Mauser 2000 PF in 375H&H. The PF feeds so much better than the Ruger.

You just need to be patient. Something will turn up sooner or later.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JFE

This is absolutely a long-term search with no need to be impulsive. At the moment, an actual hunt with a corresponding need hasn't materialized yet. So this is just an educational exercise so I can spot potential when I see it moving forward. Looking back over the last few years, I can think of about a dozen opportunities I would have approached quite differently knowing what I know now. But fortunately I'm quite pleased with the selection of rifles I currently have for my usage closer to home. I'm just thinking, planning & dreaming about retirement & what I might want to have available to me when I make that transition. I don't like waiting to the last minute to make these kinds of decisions.

Originally Posted by JFE
I’d probably opt for a LH M70. They’re no longer made but they seem to come regularly enough and lately there have been some reasonably priced rifles in the US. Try to buy one with a magnum bolt face to minimise conversion costs.

I'm very methodical & diligent about my searching so I stumble across all kinds of interesting items. About two weeks ago I found a great-looking LH M70 in .375 H&H at an attractive price. But it was a new seller with no history and an amazing selection of high-end rifles. So I was cautious because it seemed too good to be true. Turns out it was legit and an opportunity had passed because I didn't jump fast enough. Oh well. I'll just wait for the next one.

Right now I have several viable options. Here's some of the leading contenders in no particular order:

1. Spend a lot of money & get whatever I want. I can tell myself that I can just delay my retirement a few months and pay for it with those last few paychecks. This is a dangerous thought process that can lead to all kinds of bad financial decisions. A sailboat has already appeared & my daughter is living on it for now so I can always add a custom rifle to that list of discretionary purchases (ha!).

2. Use my current LH Sako .30-06 & acquire a LH Sako .375 H&H to be my bolt-action pair of rifles for any PG African hunt that may happen. This option is affordable, practical & has been recommended by people whose opinion I value. Too bad I don't always make smart decisions or this option would be a lock.

3. Do option #2 above and add a Ruger #1 (which I'm a big fan of) in a large .4** African caliber if I decide I really want one just because I think it would be fun to own.

4. Use a findable & affordable LH rifle based on the .375 H&H parent case to create a .458 Win Mag.

5. Buy a readily-available & affordable Ruger Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger. Re-barrel it to a .416 Ruger if I really want a larger caliber.

6. Overcome my reluctance to shooting right-handed rifles left-handed.

7. Throw all of this sage advice out the window & do something totally random: Where's the link to that LH .425 Express I found recently? wink

So I have options to mull over & fortunately some of them are good ones. It's possible that the route I ultimately take will be determined by what randomly becomes available first.

Last edited by odonata; 10/08/23.
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Well done on securing a LH Sako in 375H&H. You can now check your recoil tolerance while searching for a donor for a custom build. Good luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good advice from JFE.
The conversion from .30-06 bolt face to .375 H&H bolt face is simple. It is in the rest of the rifle where things get complicated.
The true Mauser M98 may be most exalted, but can get complicated (expensive) in the build.

Ruger M77 Mark II and Hawkeye are virtually identical.
The .375 Ruger bolt face is same as on a .375 H&H.
The mag box is about 3.42" long inside.
It is perfect for re-barrel to .458 WinMag with no complications.
Re-barrel and done.

Get a LH Hawkeye in .375 Ruger or .416 Ruger.
Good as a Winchester M70.
Can even be converted to H&H length like Dave Scovill did to a Ruger M77 Mark II.
Just takes a new sheetmetal box and modification of bolt stop-ejector.

If you get the LH .416 Ruger M77 Hawkeye you are done, unless you want the ultimate: Rebarrel that to .458 WinMag.
You can use the sights from the Ruger .375 or .416
on your new .458 Win Mag.

Save any pretty wood for show and tell or Sunday go to meeting.

B&C Medalist or HS Precision are full bedding block stocks. They are unbeatable for taking a beating in the field.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I have .404J, 416 Rem mag, 416 Rigby, 458 win Mag , .450-400 3”, but still grab one of my .375s for most trips to Africa - will be carrying .450-400 to Uganda and .404 J to Zimbabwe next year

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I favor 2

The 404 Jeffery because of personal nostalgic reasons going back to my early 20s. I used on for the better part of a year back then and just have a love affair with it.

And the 416 Taylor, because it duplicated the original 416 Rigby exactly (400 grain 416" bullet at 2350 FPS)in a slimmer rifle (Standard GEW 98 Mauser) which means I can build one at any given budget and have a higher grade of rifle at the end of that budget. With true magnum length actions costing $1200 to $1650 and a GEW 98 costing about $400 it allowed for the use of the $800-$1000 to be put into work or wood (or both) at any given budget and the results are very nice rifle with the usefulness of that rifle being identical to the 416 Rigby and weighing a bit less, being easier to handle and giving up absolutely nothing to the full size Rigby pattern guns in the field. 458 Win mag cases are (or were) a LOT cheaper and it's super easy to neck down in 1 pass through the sizer. Like most belted mags, it holds 3 and 1.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Now that we are talking about Zastava's, here's one of mine (the other being a .458WM) in 425Express.

The Zastava is a great rifle and I've never had one problem with the 4 I've owned (a .375, 2 .458's and a custom 425 Express) and I heartily recommend them.

The 425 Express is a great round too if you're after something a little different. It's the .300 Winchester Magnum necked up to .423" and gives similar ballistics to the 404 Jeffery.
The 2 loads I use in my 425 Express are the 400gn Hornady DGX at 2300fps and the Atomic 29 monometal 360gn at 2455fps.

The 425 was briefly released by Savage in their 116 and it's a real shame it didn't take off.

Russ

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I tthink your idea of reboring your 375 Ruger out to 416 is the answer. I have loved and played with the .416 Taylor, the .404J, the 416 Remington and the 416 Rigby. Two thing to consider; first, any will work swell on any game.Second, the longer rounds are "easier to short stroke" when reloading under stress. Use premium 350s and recoil won't eat you alive! ha Be sure to wear electric earphones to save your hearing, they also help hear game moving close by. I never shot dangerous game on my 4 trips to South Africa/Namibia. I went with friends and we all used each others rifles at times for the experience. I mainly used a 35 Whelen AI, a 340 Weatherby, 375 H&H , 338 WM and a 300 WM. All with either Barnes handloads or Winchester Fail Safe factory. Go do it now! smile

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I tthink your idea of reboring your 375 Ruger out to 416 is the answer.

The pros for the Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger is it comes in a left-handed model, it’s affordable, available & it’s not a bad-looking rifle.

The consideration when reboring to .416 Ruger is the other member of this forum that cracked both his original RH stock & the replacement after 41 rounds. Is this a rare anomaly or a worrisome trend? Can I mitigate this with additional reinforcements before the first shot is fired & stress cracks begin to form?

In a recent reply, Ron suggested a couple of replacement synthetic stock makers which unsurprisingly catered mainly to the right-handed majority. So that was a good recommendation for most readers. The LH selection was mainly model 700’s & Weatherby’s.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oops, forgot about LH not available in everything.
I would have no problem converting a RH to a LH synthetic stock all by myself,
to be covered by a new paint job.

The walnut stock, even as slim as the Hawkeye African can be used if you bury enough steel and epoxy inside it.
And don't forget to reinforce the front of the sheetmetal mag box to prevent dimpling by recoil slamming bullets into it.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oops, forgot about LH not available in everything.

As a LH shooter, I'm battle-hardened against disappointment. When looking at all the options that are available to RH shooters, you'll hear me sigh wistfully & say "Awww..." a lot. wink

I would have no problem converting a RH to a LH synthetic stock all by myself, to be covered by a new paint job.

Before I bought a synthetic stock and started doing plastic surgery on it, I would probably look closer at the LH Ruger Guide Gun with a 20" matte stainless barrel and a laminate stock also available in .375 Ruger. Not as classic looking as the Hawkeye African but probably more practical if I ever go visit my friend in the wetter climate of Alaska. At the moderate ranges I usually shoot at, the shorter barrel wouldn't be a concern although muzzle blast and recoil could be interesting. I assume (possibly incorrectly) that some of the weakness problems that plague certain walnut stocks on high-recoil rifles would not be as concerning in a good laminate stock.

The walnut stock, even as slim as the Hawkeye African can be used if you bury enough steel and epoxy inside it.

This options intrigues because it gives me an excuse to "work" on customizing the rifle without requiring a lot of machining work that's way above my head. And I do favor the look of classic wooden rifles.

And don't forget to reinforce the front of the sheetmetal mag box to prevent dimpling by recoil slamming bullets into it.

And this is why this thread has been so helpful to me: Lots of interesting tips that aren't obvious to someone who has never shot a rifle with a magazine & this level of recoil before. This isn't a concern on any of my larger falling blocks.

Last edited by odonata; 10/11/23.
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The LH Ruger Guide Gun you need to look out for is the model they made prior to the current one with the muzzle brake. It also had a laminated stock. I have one of these and the stock fits well and the rifle points and handles nicely.

One of the issues with Ruger is their angled front action screw. There are a number of things that can be done to strengthen the stock.

Pillar bedding front and rear action screws (use the kit ex Brownells)
Bed a threaded rod in the pistol grip
Add another factory crossbolt behind the mag box. Use care in fitting this as there is not a lot of wood.
Relieve the stock at the rear of the tang to avoid the tang becoming a wood splitter

As RC mentioned, reinforcing the front of the mag box would be a good idea.

Bear in mind that while laminated stocks are stronger in some areas they can chip easily, particularly near the notch for the bolt handle.

I have contemplated replacing the barrel on mine with a longer stainless barrel in 458WM and re-use all the Ruger sights and barrel band. This would make a neat all weather 458 for humid environments.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by JFE

This is absolutely a long-term search with no need to be impulsive. At the moment, an actual hunt with a corresponding need hasn't materialized yet. So this is just an educational exercise so I can spot potential when I see it moving forward. Looking back over the last few years, I can think of about a dozen opportunities I would have approached quite differently knowing what I know now. But fortunately I'm quite pleased with the selection of rifles I currently have for my usage closer to home. I'm just thinking, planning & dreaming about retirement & what I might want to have available to me when I make that transition. I don't like waiting to the last minute to make these kinds of decisions.

Originally Posted by JFE
I’d probably opt for a LH M70. They’re no longer made but they seem to come regularly enough and lately there have been some reasonably priced rifles in the US. Try to buy one with a magnum bolt face to minimise conversion costs.

I'm very methodical & diligent about my searching so I stumble across all kinds of interesting items. About two weeks ago I found a great-looking LH M70 in .375 H&H at an attractive price. But it was a new seller with no history and an amazing selection of high-end rifles. So I was cautious because it seemed too good to be true. Turns out it was legit and an opportunity had passed because I didn't jump fast enough. Oh well. I'll just wait for the next one.

Right now I have several viable options. Here's some of the leading contenders in no particular order:

1. Spend a lot of money & get whatever I want. I can tell myself that I can just delay my retirement a few months and pay for it with those last few paychecks. This is a dangerous thought process that can lead to all kinds of bad financial decisions. A sailboat has already appeared & my daughter is living on it for now so I can always add a custom rifle to that list of discretionary purchases (ha!).

2. Use my current LH Sako .30-06 & acquire a LH Sako .375 H&H to be my bolt-action pair of rifles for any PG African hunt that may happen. This option is affordable, practical & has been recommended by people whose opinion I value. Too bad I don't always make smart decisions or this option would be a lock.

3. Do option #2 above and add a Ruger #1 (which I'm a big fan of) in a large .4** African caliber if I decide I really want one just because I think it would be fun to own.

4. Use a findable & affordable LH rifle based on the .375 H&H parent case to create a .458 Win Mag.

5. Buy a readily-available & affordable Ruger Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger. Re-barrel it to a .416 Ruger if I really want a larger caliber.

6. Overcome my reluctance to shooting right-handed rifles left-handed.

7. Throw all of this sage advice out the window & do something totally random: Where's the link to that LH .425 Express I found recently? wink

So I have options to mull over & fortunately some of them are good ones. It's possible that the route I ultimately take will be determined by what randomly becomes available first.

I vote for option #5 times 2. I would want a rifle in each cartridge. I freely admit that I am a fan of the 375 & 416 Ruger cartridges.

I pretty much jumped on 375 Ruger band wagon from its beginning. The 416 version took a bit longer for me to make a purchase. Zero regrets with either.

For my Alaska use, the 20" stainless versions are dang near ideal from the factory. Maybe the rifles were the selling point. I have modified 22" stainless M70's in both 375 H&H & 416 Remington, and shorter barrel 375 H&H's. The 20" Rugers are my favorites.

I would also consider an appropriate M70 for a re-barrel. The left hand Ruger seems like the easy button.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ldmay375
The left hand Ruger seems like the easy button.

The LH Ruger in 375 Ruger is absolutely the easy button. I could make that happen in a snap. And it's really tempting to do it because they're readily available at good prices. Past experience has shown me that when a company does a run of left-handed rifles, never assume that they're going to be available for a long time. Quite often it's a limited production never to be created again.

When I asked my original question, it was basically a "what if" scenario: If I actually make it to Africa (or Alaska) one day, what large-caliber rifle should I consider adding to my small collection to enhance my plains game capabilities? The goal was to become more knowledgeable and because I have limited space, distill my decision down to the single perfect purchase.

The problem is fairly early on I figured out that just about every cartridge mentioned was more than adequate for my purposes & some of the enthusiasm others have for their favorite round has been infectious. The 404J has a real nostalgic sexiness to it. I do like a rimmed cartridge in a Ruger #1 so the 450/400 appeals. The 375 Ruger African hits so many check points at the lowest possible price that it's almost a no-brainer. Both the 416 & 458 aficionados have made compelling arguments for their favorite round and it seems clear that upgrading certain available LH models is readily doable. And of course the highly-recommended classic 375 H&H from my previous thread is still solid advice.

So my gut instinct is by the time this is all over, I may wind up owning more than one rifle regardless of whether I actually need it or not. Don't you just hate it when that happens... mad wink

Last edited by odonata; 10/12/23.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Lol, they do have the potential to multiple.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Don’t know how many Ruger #1s were made in 404J but suspect not many...If I were ever tempted to go after DG with a single loader, this would probably be very near the top of my list.
Originally Posted by odonata (OP)
There were 370 made.

A lot of people shared some really useful information in this thread so I felt like I owed an update if I put any of that good advice to use. Because I have a lot of options to consider and some of the left-handed items I'm looking for don't pop up on a regular basis, experience tells me this might be a long-term scavenger hunt to find the right items at the right price. Which is totally fine because I enjoy looking for a good deal. The fact that I don't have an impending need for any of the calibers being discussed takes all the pressure off to make a quick purchase. The plan is to just patiently wait for various options to appear and then see if I can get a good deal on something I'd enjoy owning & shooting.

One of the options I was considering was using my current Sako 30-06 and then acquiring a LH bolt action 375. If I decided I really wanted something in the .4** size, since I'm a Ruger #1 fan, I could always get one of those in a larger bore just for the fun of it. It happened that a Ruger #1 chambered in 404J popped up in a search recently to auction off today. I don't think I've ever seen one for sale before so it's a fairly uncommon item. I wasn't going to break the bank to get it but I did put in a bid on the off chance that no one was in the market for one today (fingers crossed). When it looked like I was going to have to go to almost $2200 for it with a buyer's premium, I said nope. There were a couple of better options that I was considering & there was no compelling reason to buy this particular rifle at that price. I have eight falling block rifles so I'm really focusing on a LH bolt action. The fact that it sold for over $2k didn't surprise me as a lot of the larger calibers are often selling near those prices on places like GunBroker now. Still, it would have been a fun rifle to own...

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If anyone is seeking a pretty nice left handed Model 70 Classic 300 Win Mag to start a build with, there's one on consignment at Burdett and Son in Texas.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Odonata,

Your post about the No. 1 404J brought a smile to my face. I was fortunate some years ago, to put in a bid on the Ruger auction on such a rifle which had never left the factory, thinking I would never get it. For some reason I wound up with the rifle and have enjoyed it as 404J is my favorite large medium. Haven’t hunted with it as that’s reserved for a Win pre-64 M-70 404J, with an outstanding piece of walnut, built by a now departed classical GS.

Back to your original matter of a .4xx cartridge rifle - starting with a Ruger Hawkeye 375 Ruger was my eventual solution. Because of my preference for a 0.423” bore, I modified the 375 Ruger case by necking it up to that diameter and had my Hawkeye African rebored. Ballistically a great cartridge. It worked well in a Rimrock synthetic stock but split at the wrist on the first shot when I put it back in the OEM African walnut stock.

Fortunately the wood stock was salvaged with proper repair, steel rod on the grip and proper bedding. That stock now is on a Hawkeye 375 Ruger barreled action.

For 404 fans, a modern version of the 404J is the 404-375 Ruger. Standard length action, available cases, 400 grain bullets ar 2350+ with RL-17 duplicates 416 Rigby & Remington and matches modern versions of the 404J. A perfect blend of a classical bore in a modern case seems to check off all the boxes.

BTW, based on the results of the Hawkeye African experiment, a Hawkeye Alaskan in 404-375 Ruger stands near it in the rack. The 20” barrel gives up a few fps in MV, but it’s weather resistance, agility, ease of carry make it my ideal version of a brown bear cartridge for AK. It would probably work on moose just as well, and in a pinch with proper solids, would work for pachyderms.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
If anyone is seeking a pretty nice left handed Model 70 Classic 300 Win Mag to start a build with, there's one on consignment at Burdett and Son in Texas.

Because of this thread, my appreciation for the 458 Win Mag has definitely grown. I sent B&S in TX an email. Let the scavenger hunt continue! Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
Your post about the No. 1 404J brought a smile to my face.

There's so many interesting threads here that sort of fizzle out with no epilogue that leave me wondering how it all ended. Did anything come from all of the banter? So I thought some of the people involved might enjoy finding out if any of their sage advice (or testy opinions) had actually been put to good use. Stay tuned to find out whose favorite caliber is going to win in the end because they're all still in the running! wink

Based on availability of LH rifles, the laws of probability favor my next acquisition being a .375 H&H or a .375 Ruger. But I want to be patient & give the .4** calibers a chance to make an unexpected appearance.

Last edited by odonata; 11/20/23.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Odonata,

As epilogue to provide closure on one option, the Hawkeye African 404-375 Ruger has taken a Cape buffalo along with some plains game in Africa. That receiver is now the basis for a 458 WM+ inspired by Sir Ron’s thread - while the barrel sits on the workbench, awaiting a new host - and took a tuskless elephant this past July. That configuration is specialized in that role and was not built as a walk-around medium but rather as a heavier big-bore DGR.

Meanwhile, it’s little brother, the Hawkeye Alaskan 404-375 Ruger sits in the safe waiting to see if a bucket list brown bear ever becomes a reality and it’s called back into duty. At this point I’m pretty picky about a brown bear outfitter - probably Grizzly Skins of AK - so don’t know if that’ll ever come to pass. The SS short-barrel Alaskan was purposely rebored to 0.423” for the 2nd brown bear AK mission. In its prior guise as a 375 Ruger, it took a brown bear at 17 yds with a Barnes 300 grain TSX, so now being capable of shooting a 400 grain 0.423” at 2300+ fps it’s more of an already good thing. Proven power in a small package.

Seems you have a host of good possibilities, so making a decision and carrying it out might be your pending task. Good luck.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I see you really like the Ruger #1 in 405win. My dad liked them to but wanted a little more pop. He had it chambered for a case 3/4 inch longer.
It will push a 300 grain bullet at 2670 and a 400 grain Woodliegh at 2385. All custom but fun to shoot and with a brake recoil is surprisingly easy.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Seems you have a host of good possibilities, so making a decision and carrying it out might be your pending task. Good luck.

Thanks! I like involved projects that require time & effort so this has been fun. It's interesting to go to a place like GunBroker and start applying filters. There's a lot of rifles, so I just look at the bolt actions and tens of thousands of choices disappear. Then I look at only left-hand models and another huge chunk vanishes. Only calibers .400 or larger? We're down into the single digits. Eliminate the push feeds and a lot of times I'm looking at zero choices left. If anything miraculously remains, then I still have to apply the final four criteria: Do I like it, do I want it, can I afford it & is it in a desirable caliber? Of the final four criteria, three of them are under my control. But for an auction, the "can I afford it" criterion is set by my (sometimes wealthy / sometimes crazy) competition. It can be challenging... wink

Originally Posted by FNWhelen
I see you really like the Ruger #1 in 405win.

My 405 is a Winchester 1885 Traditional Hunter with a Marble peep sight and a Montana Vintage Arms globe in the front. Mississippi has a primitive season that allows breech loaded single shots >= .35 caliber with an exposed hammer so this is one of the rifles I use (my buddies use 35 Whelen's & 45-70's). I have seven different stands I can hunt out of with short ranges where iron sights & my terrible eyes are still (relatively?) effective. The large bullet provides a bit of forgiveness if my aim isn't as precise as a scoped shot. My 400 Woodleigh Weldcores only go about 1850 fps but are more than adequate for what I've been shooting at so far. I haven't chronographed the 300gr flat points I was using yet. A couple of weeks ago, I didn't see any deer when I was carrying the 405. But I did manage to get a doe with my diminutive Browning 1885 in .44 Magnum so at least I got to enjoy eating venison this past weekend.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Odonata,
My 1895 Winchester in .405 Winchester is one of my favoRITE BIG BORES.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
In addition to a lot of American game it has also made short work of a Cape buffalo.

A very handy and effective rifle/cartridge combo.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My 1895 Winchester in .405 Winchester is one of my favoRITE BIG BORES...A very handy and effective rifle/cartridge combo.

The 1895 is definitely the rifle model that most people associate with the 405 Winchester and I've been seriously tempted on more than one occasion to acquire one in that caliber. I also saw a nice one I really liked once in 30-40 Krag as well. Ever since I shot my first deer with a 303 British, I've had a nostalgic fondness for that caliber. So whenever I see an 1895 chambered in 303 like the one pictured below, I'm always tempted. Too bad that one was in Canada & would require a bit of extra effort to get it south:

I really liked what this guy did on a 30-06 Browning that had been rebored to 35 Whelen.

It's a classic rifle & that's a nice buffalo! Thanks for sharing.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'd like to get a .400 H&H built...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Odonata,
My 1895 Winchester in .405 Winchester is one of my favoRITE BIG BORES.
In addition to a lot of American game it has also made short work of a Cape buffalo.

A very handy and effective rifle/cartridge combo.

Big Medicine indeed!!!

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That 404 Jeffery Ruger No. 1 is special. Quite the collector item. Safe Queen investment material.
The more common and later arriving 450/400 NE 3" Ruger No. 1 would be a better hunter/shooter.
Get two of them and have a gunbearer ready at your side.

Ruger got their sequence of introduction backward.
The .400 S. Jeffery came first in 1897 in a Farquharson falling block that was the first ever "Nitro Express."
Rigby came along a few months after in late 1897 with the .450 S. Rigby, the second ever "Nitro Express" but first ever housed in a double rifle.
When the class of "Nitro Express" rifles got a name circa turn of century, those two forerunners became the 450/400 NE 3" and the 450 NE 3-1/4".

I like the thicker rim on the 450/400 NE 3".
That case was essentially the basis for the 404 Jeffery Rimless Nitro Express marketed in 1905.

450/400 NE 3": First ever fully competent NE in a single then soon after in a double.
404 Jeffery RNE: First ever really good bolt action DGR.
Get at least one of each.

Winchester 1895: I have them in plain Jane .30-06 and .405 TR commemorative.
Tempted to wildcat the former, not the latter.
Going +.40 to beat the .405 WCF, .411 Hawk has a 2.430" max brass length,
versus the .400 Whelen of Michael Petrov/G&H which ought to be kept to .30-06 max brass length of 2.494".
With bullet seating and throating to match, they can both use the same max COL limit as for the .30-06, 3.340".
The Ruger No. 1 in .405 WCF can be hotted up considerably,
almost to 450/400 NE 3" classic levels, which can also be hotted up considerably in the Ruger No.1.
If the classic .416 Rigby load is a killer-diller, match that or more with the 450/400 NE 3".

Glad to hear you are leaning toward a .458 WinMag.
It is the overall winner.
Accurate and versatile at any power level from light to heavy.
Did I ever mention that it beats the .458 Lott ?

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Get two of them...

Stop that! The purpose of this thread was for your advice to help me distill my selection down to the one perfect choice. But instead of looking for the "next rifle", I seem to keep looking for a place to put the "next gun safe" instead. Enthusiasm is contagious and I do not need any encouragement to buy extra rifles because I'll probably do it. grin

Glad to hear you are leaning toward a .458 WinMag...Accurate and versatile at any power level from light to heavy.

Before this thread, I don't think I considered the 458 Win Mag properly because I only thought of it as a heavy round with attention-getting recoil. But reading the really long 458 thread at the top of this forum and some of CZ550's (aka Bob Mitchell) blog posts about it, helped me appreciate the versatility of some of the milder loads. Unfortunately, before I had that epiphany, I did let a LH Zastava in 458 Win Mag slip past me that was affordable & might have been nice to own:

Did I ever mention that it beats the .458 Lott ?

From your previous posts I got the general impression that the 458 Win Mag is both the cat's meow & the bee's knees. Which coincidentally are two criteria I always look for in a new rifle purchase. wink The good thing is that when I look at websites like GunBroker, the 458 Win Mag is generally available as the most common choice. For example the current selection count on GB for calibers mentioned in this thread is:

1 - 425 Express
2 - 416 Taylor
2 - 450 Rigby
2 - 505 Gibbs
5 - 404 Jeffery
13 - 458 Lott
16 - 416 Rigby
22 - 416 Rem Mag (the only LH being a Remington 700)
49 - 458 Win Mag (the only LH being a Remington 700)

So out of 112 rifles to choose from, 2 are LH and both are push feed Remington 700's with wooden stocks. The Savage 110 pictured below is another example of a LH 458 Win Mag that is coming up for auction next month. This is a pretty common result so patience is required if I'm not going to buy a custom or get a gunsmith involved in a rebarrel or rebore. But both of those are definitely viable options.

Last edited by odonata; 11/21/23.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Quite a few years back, I had an opportunity to buy a Win. Model 70 .458 WM at a good (really good) price. I thought about getting it and have regretted not buying it ever since!

It would have probably gone to a gunsmith before I even got it home…..a little cash, a .458 Lott reamer, and I’d have had the .458 I’ve dreamed of for around 40 years!

Bad decisions bring lasting regrets! 🤬 memtb

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I were to buy a big bore rifle today, I would probably buy a Ruger 375. Lighter kick for a 70 year old, lower rifle weight for carry, and possibly lower cost than some of the other brands, and it uses a Mauser style action with 3 position safety. Also I would buy the reloading dies. I would also probably buy the stainless Alaskan version for low maintenance and being water resistant. It is also a standard length action vs a longer heavier traditional magnum action.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by memtb
Bad decisions bring lasting regrets! 🤬 memtb

The "trophies" I've lost at auction sites definitely outnumbers the trophies I've missed while out in the woods hunting. I sometimes look back at rifles I passed on & wonder what the hell was I thinking at that time? frown

Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
If I were to buy a big bore rifle today, I would probably buy a Ruger 375...I would also probably buy the stainless Alaskan version for low maintenance and being water resistant.

When Phil Shoemaker posted about the Lipsey's APHA edition of the 416 Ruger last month, I could only sigh & wish it was a left-handed model. That would have been a nice rifle to own in that caliber or 375 Ruger. It's almost enough to make me consider shooting a right-handed rifle.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That 404 Jeffery Ruger No. 1 is special. Quite the collector item. Safe Queen investment material.
The more common and later arriving 450/400 NE 3" Ruger No. 1 would be a better hunter/shooter.
Get two of them and have a gunbearer ready at your side.
404 Jeffery RNE: First ever really good bolt action DGR.

… 450/400 NE 3" classic levels, which can also be hotted up considerably in the Ruger No.1.
If the classic .416 Rigby load is a killer-diller, match that or more with the 450/400 NE 3".

Sir Ron,

Hope I’m not selectively quoting you out of context. Merely want to emphasize my agreement with your assessment of the 2 classical Ruger #1s in 404J and 450/400 NE 3”. Both are capable of firing their respective 400 grain bullets at 2400 fps MV in the #1. While my 404J Tropical 1H does so gently - this Ruger factory-retained model has a threaded muzzle brake from its inception at manufacture - the 450/400 is both much lighter and devoid of a brake. At 2100 fps it is capable and easy in its recoil. However, at 2400 fps the 450/400 becomes a beast only hardy heavy cartridge aficionados can love.

Since the rifle looniness, “(is) all about fun and games,” as JOC so aptly put it, for the range a 450/400 @ 2050-2100 fps is a blast. But for a serious DGR, with gritting of teeth and determination to walk away from the close-up encounter with pachyderms, souping it up to 2350-2400 fps would be my choice. The penetration of the 0.400” 400 grain solid FP bullet should be spectacular, though I have not experienced it on DG.

Many choices, few truly wrong ones, all based on the rifleman’s tastes.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good thread. I have a LH Winchester Model 70 .416 Remington. I bought it as a .375HH and shot one buffalo and a hippo with it as a 375. I bought it when the factory made LH 375s for a couple years. After 2 Safaris, I had it reworked by Mark Penrod. He restocked it in an Echols Legend stock, and rebarreled it with a 416 14" twist Kreiger barrel and put NECG sights on it. I've shot 2 buffalo with this combination. Does appear to hit a little harder. The first one I shot with a 400G TSX Barnes, and when it hit the buffalo - it sounded like it was whacked with a 2 x 4. It ran about 50 yards. The other one I shot this year - used a 325G Hammer Shock bullet. It was a frontal shot, and the buffalo jumped a little on receiving the bullet, and it the hit didn't sound as loud, but the buffalo stumbled and fell within 5 yards or so. He did the classic bellow and I shot him again for insurance. The first bullet was recovered in the rear hip. All 4 tips in the front broke off as designed, and left a flat nosed solid. We never found the second bullet. I'm not sure it's more potent as a 416 vs a 375 because it's killed everything I've shot with it. The fit of the Legend stock definitely helps mitigate the recoil. It's got slight cast off (cast on?) which seems to work well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the shooting reports. Good to hear the 325 grain Shock Hammer performed well. Outstanding penetration.

Last edited by ldmay375; 11/28/23.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think the .416 325 grain Shock Hammer and 325 grain CEB Maximus are close to ideal for the 416 Remington and Ruger. I have both loaded in the 416 Ruger for a range trial. Unfortunately that might be deferred until spring. From the testing and reports that I have seen, the Shock Hammer and Maximus should perform nearly identical. The Maximus is slightly shorter and is estimated at a bit higher bc. Both are close to 350 grain TSX length and significantly shorter than the 350 TTSX. Both of those 350's have grouped well in my rifles.

Last edited by ldmay375; 11/29/23. Reason: Replaced 270 grain with 350.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm not a fan of big game bullets designed to fragment and here's why:

You have no control over when those petals grenade off the fkn bullet, which is stupid. The expanded diameter could shed within mere inches of the entry wound. Then the rest of the bullet continues to penetrate through the vitals, without benefit of a controlled expansion bullet.

These trends within the shooting world, reminds me of women who think essential oils and crystals replace a fkn doctor and modern medicine.

I'll stick with heavier controlled expansion bullets like the swift a-frame and the dgx bonded.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Get a .458 Winchester Magnum for the ultimate rifle savoir faire...Re-barreling a Ruger M77 Hawkeye of any H&H belted case head from 7mmRemMag on up is perfect.

Ron's comment from page 1 of this thread suggested using an H&H-based Ruger as the start for building a 458 Win Mag. The H&H case was the basis for a variety of 7mm, .300, 8mm, .338 & .375 cartridges. Are any of the Ruger M77 or Winchester 70's in those calibers suitable for reboring? Is there a general line of demarcation where the smaller calibers probably need a new barrel but the larger calibers could be potentially rebored? I was curious about this but my Google-fu skills failed me & I was unable to get a definitive answer (which may not be possible without a specific measurable rifle in hand). I left a voicemail for Jesse at JES Reboring to chat with him but he hasn't returned my call yet. If someone has an opinion or knowledge on the question above, then answering it with the notion of shortening an existing barrel to match the 20" Ruger Alaskan Guide Gun would be an option worth factoring in. One of the reasons for asking this question is that in the left-handed selections, 7mm Rem Mag's are the most widely available along with the .300 Win Mag. So I didn't know if reboring was an option on a rifle chambered in the smaller calibers, if it was possible with caveats or if rebarreling was the superior way to go. If it's the last option, I know that Pac-Nor, Douglas & McGowen have all been mentioned in this thread as replacement barrels. Does anyone have a preference on who they recommend dealing with? Did a vendor you like not get included in that list?

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
You can’t use the barrel off a 375 Ruger to build a 458 WM because the chamber is already larger than the 458 WM chamber. Besides, I think a 20” barrel is a little short. A better option is a new barrel but have it contoured to match the profile of the 375 Ruger barrel and re-use the sights and barrel band. While your at it have your smith add a barrel mounted recoil lug to distribute the recoil. This would make a handy all weather 458 WM.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey JFE,

Thanks for the reply and the tip about the recoil lug. The question about the 20" Guide Gun was in reference to the 7mm Rem Mag & 300 Win Mag stainless rifles that I keep seeing. Basically what I was asking was if reboring a 7mm RM or 300WM all the way out to the full length of a 24"+ barrel would leave the barrel too thin at the crown, would it be possible to rebore it if the barrel was shortened to match the style of a 20" Alaskan Guide Gun. If someone had information about reboring, I didn't want them to think they were constrained by the dimensions of the full length of the original barrel if shortening it down to a thicker section was a workable option.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Normally you need about 0.125” of barrel thickness post reboring.

So in a 458 you need 0.458” + 2 * 0.125” = 0.708”

Some might do less than that but 0.125” is normally considered the minimum. As you mentioned, you can shorten the barrel as long as the barrel thickness at the muzzle is achieved.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JFE
So in a 458 you need 0.458” + 2 * 0.125” = 0.708”

Thanks again. Now that you've posted this useful information, it seems that reboring any of the other calibers that use the H&H parent case might not be doable or advisable even for the larger ones. Reboring isn't something that I have done before or thought about much. But putting calipers to various barrels in my gun safe made me realize that a lot of them were more slender & thinner than I thought they were in the middle of the barrel. I knew the end of the barrel would be problematic but the barrels I currently have all taper faster than I thought. Not a lot of extra metal to shave off there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JFE as usual is correct.
Best job requires new .458-cal barrel on a Ruger M77 Hawkeye for a .458 WinMag.
If you get a bedding block stock you do not need the secondary recoil lug on the barrel.
Left hand: Does Accurate Innovations do one for the Ruger M77 Hawkeye Left Hand ?
Does HS Precision do one ?
Too bad Bell & Carlson does not !
Barrel makers I have used in order of greatest frequency to least: McGowen, Pac-Nor, Douglas, Shilen, Dan Lilja, Krieger.
Overall easiest to order by their 'puter system: Pac-Nor.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
There aren’t many lefty synthetic stocks and those that do make one, generally it’s for a Rem 700 action. One supplier worth considering is MPI in the PNW. They say they can make lefty versions of their stocks.

Pacnor also do pre-fit barrels for a number of bolt actions and have a wide range of options of twist and profiles. The cost is fairly reasonable and pre-fits require minimal fitting by your smith. They used to have a 458 WM no throat reamer listed in their wildcat reamers section but I didn’t see it listed when I last checked.

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

As many times as I've reread this thread it's embarrassing to have forgotten you did a nice writeup of barrel profiles & sizes in the middle of page 5. I must have been having a senior moment when I asked my reboring question yesterday since all the information I needed was posted weeks ago. Occasionally I get stuck on stupid...

Originally Posted by JFE
One supplier worth considering is MPI in the PNW. They say they can make lefty versions of their stocks.

Their website looks really promising. I'll send them an email or give them a call & find out what they can do for me. Recently I saw a stainless LH Ruger 7mm RM with a laminate stock that caught my attention as a possible starting point. But I remembered Ron's 470 Mbogo (aka MuleNear) from page 2 with its broken laminated stock and thought synthetic does appear to be the superior option if I can get it. Thanks for the tip.

The .458 WinMag will out penetrate the .416 RemMag on game animals if a proper FN monometal solid is used. When you get to 2200 fps little is gained on penetration by going faster, other than shock and awe, more to the shooter than the shootee. Thus the .458 WinMag is better at long range with 404-gr Shock Hammer.

Taking a look at the bullet mentioned above, there's a caveat posted about twist rate. Since McGowen for example has twist rates in 8, 10, 14, 16 & 18 for this caliber, would you recommend one as being the superior choice for a bullet such as this? If this rifle was going to be used primarily (exclusively?) for plains game and it could be more at the mild than the wild end of the power spectrum, is there a particular powder load / speed that is preferred?

odonata Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Epilogue: First of all, a quick shout-out of thanks to everyone who shared advice, opinions & photos on this particular topic. I learned a lot! One of the things that that was readily apparent to me early on in this thread was that it would be really hard for me to make a bad or a wrong choice. Every cartridge being mentioned was more than adequate for my current goals since North America & plains game was what my hunting buddy was suggesting. I appreciate that everyone was willing to play "what if" and share some knowledge.

Because affordable, left-handed options that I like rarely appear, my gut instinct told me that fate & circumstance would probably play a part in my final choice. Most likely, the item that popped up first that I could successfully acquire would be the winner of this selection process. On page 6 of this thread a month ago, I missed out on a Ruger #1 in .404 Jeffery. The latest rifle to slip through my fingers was a left-handed Dakota 76 in .375 H&H:

I think most readers would probably agree that this is a nice-looking rifle that would suit my purposes. I also think that most readers (including myself) would also guess that there was a snowball's chance in hell that I was going to win this auction. With the extra Kahles scope and the boxes of ammo, I laughed at the $3k~5k pre-auction estimate but decided to play along & go as high as $5,500. But they blew past me so fast I didn't get to savor that fleeting moment when I was on top that lasted a blink of an eye before I got relegated to the list of losers. I like nice things but having to pay almost $8k to stay in the game was a bit too Gucci for me.

I was house sitting for friends who were on a road trip to Austin & hanging out with their pet menagerie so I decided to console myself by going outside & sitting in a bow stand for a couple of hours. I didn't see any deer this evening but it was nice being out in the woods. When I came back inside, a LH Winchester Model 70 Safari Express magically appears. Boom! Mine now! Like hunting for elusive game, left-hand rifle acquisitions are all about patience, perseverance & sometimes (like this purchase) speed & luck. I have to do my research (e.g. this thread) ahead of time and grab things with confidence when they appear because they often don't last long.

It's funny how fate & circumstance sometimes works out since earlier this week a batch of about a dozen LH Ruger 375 Guide Guns appeared on GunBroker at attractive prices. As soon as they appeared, they started disappearing just as fast:

Since my friend who keeps talking about going to Africa lives in the Seattle area, I often thought that visiting another hunting buddy in Alaska to go hunting up there might actually be a more probable scenario geographically and that this particular rifle would be an interesting model to use in that environment especially at that price. But I held off on purchasing one while waiting to see how things panned out with the unobtainable Dakota 76 which fortunately resulted in the much-admired Winchester 70 falling into my lap instead. Not a bad outcome.

If I was placing a bet when I started this thread 2.5 months ago, then the .375 H&H was always a prohibitive favorite: It was findable in LH models, it was affordable, it was a nostalgic classic, ammunition is ubiquitous, it was highly-recommended by people whose opinion I value and it was an all-around smart choice for my intended needs & purpose. What was totally unexpected was I would get infected by Riflecrank, CZ550,...,et al's enthusiasm (that borders on fanaticism wink) for the .458 Win Mag. You guys have officially piqued my interest. As someone who likes too much empirical data and overthinking things, the 181-page (and growing) .458 Win Mag thread in this forum has been a lot of fun to wade through as I read every post. That's a bunch of information to try to absorb. Anyway, the stainless Ruger M77 MkII with a laminate stock that I posted a picture of in my previous post above should arrive at my FFL tomorrow. When it does, I'll jump over to the .458 Win Mag thread and see if I can coerce those guys into helping me cobble together something similar to Sir Ron's Alderella pictured below since this second new rifle is the same model except with the bolt on the "correct" side. Back in September, I would have said that the 404 Jeffery, 400/450 or 416 Rigby/Ruger/RemMag would have been the more likely selection. The .458 WM might not have made the top 5. Hopefully this Ruger will be another fun learning experience.

If I ever manage to break away from the southeast in my upcoming retirement years, then the final result of this thread and my current selection of larger calibers to choose from currently looks like this:

30-06 - Sako 85 Hunter LH
9.3x74r - Ruger No. 1S
375 H&H - Winchester 1885 Safari Octagon
375 H&H - Winchester M70 Safari Express LH
405 Win - Winchester 1885 Traditional Hunter (iron sights)
458 WM - Ruger M77 MkII LH

If I'm unsuccessful at taking an animal on either continent with that selection, I don't think I'll be able to blame my tools. The purpose of starting this thread was to put one more bolt action rifle into the safe. Surprise, surprise...it turned into two.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

As many times as I've reread this thread it's embarrassing to have forgotten you did a nice writeup of barrel profiles & sizes in the middle of page 5. I must have been having a senior moment when I asked my reboring question yesterday since all the information I needed was posted weeks ago. Occasionally I get stuck on stupid...

Originally Posted by JFE
One supplier worth considering is MPI in the PNW. They say they can make lefty versions of their stocks.

Their website looks really promising. I'll send them an email or give them a call & find out what they can do for me. Recently I saw a stainless LH Ruger 7mm RM with a laminate stock that caught my attention as a possible starting point. But I remembered Ron's 470 Mbogo (aka MuleNear) from page 2 with its broken laminated stock and thought synthetic does appear to be the superior option if I can get it. Thanks for the tip.

The .458 WinMag will out penetrate the .416 RemMag on game animals if a proper FN monometal solid is used. When you get to 2200 fps little is gained on penetration by going faster, other than shock and awe, more to the shooter than the shootee. Thus the .458 WinMag is better at long range with 404-gr Shock Hammer.

Taking a look at the bullet mentioned above, there's a caveat posted about twist rate. Since McGowen for example has twist rates in 8, 10, 14, 16 & 18 for this caliber, would you recommend one as being the superior choice for a bullet such as this? If this rifle was going to be used primarily (exclusively?) for plains game and it could be more at the mild than the wild end of the power spectrum, is there a particular powder load / speed that is preferred?

Late reply, but here goes:

MPI: I have one on a Dakota 76 African from back when it was the only thing I could find.
They take a lot of work to finish. I put an oak block in the hollow/foam-filled butt so as to have a solid to screw the recoil pad attachment.
I would rather use the Ruger factory laminate stock on an M77 MkII or Hawkeye with proper reinforcement.

404-gr/.458 Shock Hammer works well on plains game for 200-yard zero whether 2350 fps MV or 2500 fps MV.
Those velocities are easy from 16.9" barrel and 23" barrel respectively.
Many powders will do it all in the .458 WM.
My favorites for the 400-ish-grainers in no particular order: AA-2230, Benchmark, H4895.
H4895 can be used for the entire spectrum from 60% (no filler) to 110% (compressed after drop tube).

Twist: The standard 1:14" is best for greatest versatility.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations on your new donor rifle for a .458 Winchester Magnum build:

Except for mine being right-handed, that is the same rifle I turned into Ms. Alderella Shilen-Ruger the Knik Knocker.
The world is always better off with one less 7mm Remington Magnum.

Get a 1:14" twist stainless No.5 Sporter contour from Pac-Nor or McGowen.
You do not need to make yours as long or heavy in the barrel as Alderella, unless you want to.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (Akhutr, 358wsm, 2500HD, akpls, 12 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.