Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am in the process of buying new binos and have decided that cost will not hold me back in this quest, I am buying what I have always wanted but wasn't willing to spend the coin on. Its been a beactch trying to decide on what glass to go with. Steve and others convinced me to give the Ultravid 8x32's a test dive which I got from Doug and though the glass was freaking awesome I just couldn't like the feel of them. So they are on their way back to Doug to try something else. I have looked through the Big 3 in 8x42's and 10x42's and decided that the 8x42 Ultravid was the shiznit, but now guys are tossing ideas at me to try the 7x42's which I can not do locally. So my question is what binos do you guys use for your everything use.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would have figured by now, after trying what's probably the top recommended glass around here at the moment and not liking it, you'd discover that it's too subjective for you to take anyone's word for it.

'What binos do you guys use for your everything use' is likely to get you a million different answers, and likely none of them new.

No substitute for test driving them yourself, as you should have discovered with the 8x32 Ultras....

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I am completely sold on the Leica 8x42 Ultravids and am using them more or less exclusively now. IMO, best money I've ever spent and I'd pay more than I did if I had to wink smile

that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think you pretty well had this figured out before. Do you want a full size pair (8x42 or 7's) or smaller, 32 sized glass? Either way the Ultravid's got you covered and you can do no wrong with any of the three. I'm not sure others can really help you with your decision making, heck throw in FL's or EL's (even though E says they're made of fragile parts) or SLC's and you've got great glass.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I hear ya Dave, definately subjective. I think the 8x32's are a niche piece of equipment and I got misdirected into what worked for one guy with specific demands would work great for me. I am definately after some full sized glass, no 32's. Have recieved several PM's from guys that dig the 7X binos and after doing a bit of research it appears that many that liked the 7x42 Ultravids ,but they loved the SLC Neus.So another mind [bleep] for a guy that cant put his hands on a set.

cfran

I did look through some EL's and FL's both in 8 and 10 X and the Ultravids were my favorite. Maybe I'll quit mind [bleep] myself and just get the 8x42 Ultravids I like so much and quit thinking about it, or maybe I'll try the 7x42's......[bleep]!

Maybe I'll just get a pair of Pentax DCF Sp's and call it good per E.....NOT!

IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have 8x50 Leica Trinovids, Zeiss 7x42 Classics, and a Swarovski spotter........use them all on a daily basis.

Joe

Last edited by ovis; 12/18/07. Reason: last statement

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
AC, you're getting the "paralysis of analysis!"

I'm sorry cause no doubt I contributed to it a bit.

Get the 8x42 Ultravid's and don't look back.

Were I not enamored with the 8x32's I suspect that's the glass I'd end up with.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You know i love the 7x42 SLC

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went through something over $3000 worth of binocs in the mid-90's (top end stuff was around $700 then), mostly Swarovskis SL and SLC series but some upper end Nikon E series, mid-level Burris and such. Would have to count up but it was at least a dozen or more pairs of binocs. Always had 5-6 pairs of binoculars around the house and was constantly comparing them.

I quit buying binoculars when I got a pair of Leica 8X42 Trinovids and sold most everything else.

Still have a Leica 8X32 and a Swarovski Traditional 6X30 because it's cool but for everything, all around use the 8X42 Leica blew away everything that came before it and has been the culmination of my search.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I run the 8X30 zeiss classic.
My hunting bud is deciding right now between the 10X40 zeiss classic and the Leica 10X42 ultravid.
We ran the zeiss yesterday and hopefully will compare the Leica later today if the snow lets up.RB

Red Comyn of Altyre
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have ultravid 10x42's for big country
trinovid 8x32's for big woods

If a guy HAD to choose one bino the 8x42 ultravids would be best.

But what if swaros fit you better?, decide power first then go looking through make and model.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I hear ya Dave, definately subjective. I think the 8x32's are a niche piece of equipment and I got misdirected into what worked for one guy with specific demands would work great for me. I am definately after some full sized glass, no 32's. Have recieved several PM's from guys that dig the 7X binos and after doing a bit of research it appears that many that liked the 7x42 Ultravids ,but they loved the SLC Neus.So another mind [bleep] for a guy that cant put his hands on a set.

cfran

I did look through some EL's and FL's both in 8 and 10 X and the Ultravids were my favorite. Maybe I'll quit mind [bleep] myself and just get the 8x42 Ultravids I like so much and quit thinking about it, or maybe I'll try the 7x42's......[bleep]!

Maybe I'll just get a pair of Pentax DCF Sp's and call it good per E.....NOT!

Since you like the Ultravid better than the Swaro you should just do the 7's or 8's - can't go wrong with either and only you can decide if you need more or less magnification. Do it fast as Doug's prices are too good to not buy before year end! Good luck!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Zeiss 10x42 FLs and Swarovski 15x56 SLCs, with Zeiss 7x42 ClassiCs as my backup.

If I were to start over, and buy one glass right now, having zero in the kit, I'd opt Zeiss 8x42 FLs. They are freaking superb!

The only reason I went with the 10x when I bought my FLs is because I already had 7x42s in the kit.

I like x32-class glass, but my preference for all-around use is x40/42-class glass.

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mr. Rick Bin of this webb site suggested I try the Leica Duovids,I called DOUG at CameraLand and he made me a hell of a deal on a pair.They're GREAT,contrast and clarity are beyond belief,you can actually see thru brush and trees.I bought the 8-12x42's.I own 4 Zeiss Diavari VM/V scopes and the glass is as good if not better than what's in them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a pair of Swarovski 10x42 EL's, a pair of Zeiss 8x32 FL's, and would like a pair of 8x20 Ultravids to replace my 10x25 Swaro's.
If you hunt mainly in the woods an 8x42 or 7x42 (or 8.5x42 in EL's) size might be preferred. If you hunt open area's like Oklahoma hills or Colorado mountains you will probably prefer 10x42's as your primary's.
I don't feel that the 8x32 FL's give up much to the 10x42's and are a lot easier to carry.

All of the big 3 make great glasss I ended up preferring a different maker in each size glass but could be just as happy with the others. They are all good don't let anyone tell you different. Just pick the one that feels best in your hands and looks good to you and go with them..........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the following two:

1. Zeiss Classic's 7x42

2. Leica Ultravid 8x20

Each are used for entirely different reasons. But for my needs, I am completely covered.

If I ever decide to replace the Classic's, my eyes tell me the Swarovski 7x42 SLC's view is nothing short of spectacular!

Good luck in your quest. For your reading pleasure...

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112

JS

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
you guess seriously spend 1500 on binos geez i need a job like you guys i can bearly afford a 400 scope

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by crittergetter
Mr. Rick Bin of this webb site suggested I try the Leica Duovids,I called DOUG at CameraLand and he made me a hell of a deal on a pair.They're GREAT,contrast and clarity are beyond belief,you can actually see thru brush and trees.

Can I borrow these to take to the Beach????? whistle

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For the last 10 years, I have used 10x42 Trinovids for everything...from sheep in the Yukon to whitetails here in Michigan where I couldn't see 20 yards. They worked everywhere. I have been wanting a pair of 8x20 Ultravids for a while to have when I am stalking and leave the big binocs in the pack or truck. I decided the 8x32 Ultravids were not that much bigger and would be more versitile and I can see better than the old 10x42s. So now rather than have one do it all pair, when I pick up a set of big eyes, I will have all the bases covered.

When I got my original Leicas, I compared all the big 3 and liked Leica the best. I just did it again and they still look the best to me. I do have a Zeiss spotter becasue I saw best thru that one.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MattfromTexas
you guess seriously spend 1500 on binos geez i need a job like you guys i can bearly afford a 400 scope

I'd use a $50.00 scope before I used cheap binos.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,502 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.