Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice, LBK! I've got a few, couple nice ones and a couple shooters.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Very nice, LBK! I've got a few, couple nice ones and a couple shooters.

Thank you.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
That is indeed the rifle that I purchased at auction, once in a while I come across something like that one.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
That is indeed the rifle that I purchased at auction, once in a while I come across something like that one.

Thanks for parting with it. I appreciate it,

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I'd like to try one of these someday, hopefully a .300. Given that they function as a bolt stop, how are the triggers?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I'd like to try one of these someday, hopefully a .300. Given that they function as a bolt stop, how are the triggers?

The triggers are reminessent to the 2 stage military triggers. Many home grown gunsmiths try to "fix" them and do nothing but make matters worse. A trigger is a trigger. I like the ones I have and luckily only one has been dicked with,

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The triggers suck.

There was a Michigan 'smith named Bob Snapp who would install a Winchester 70 style bolt release on a 1920. I think that Mark Benenson had one done. I looked into it and decided that the cost exceeded the value and usefulness that I would get out of it, so I passed.

My now deceased 'smith installed a Timney for a Mauser on a 1920 for me, just for something interesting to do. It required quite a bit of work and, again, the cost would have exceeded the value if I had had to pay for the work. It was a really abused 1920, so no real value at the time, the action was the only useful part, the rest being rusted or busted. He made it into a varmint rifle with a heavy Savage barrel in 22-250 that he modified to fit the receiver. He made the stock out of a piece of screw bean mesquite that he bought from some guy in Arizona. When he passed, I gave that rifle to his son.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

The triggers suck.

Those are the exact same 3 words I would have used to answer that question.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It's obvious y'all don't spend any time with '03 Springfields, Krags, M1's, etc. The M1920 trigger is no worse (and no better) than any of them. You get used to them, and then learn to love them. grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I just shoot the gun, really don’t give a lot of thought to the trigger

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of my earliest M1920 has a very satisfactory 2 stage trigger and shoots just over 1 3/8 groups with a Lyman 54 sight, frequently placing two shots a half an inch apart.

My current M1908 custom Mauser has double set triggers and feels quite pleasant to shoot. Has anyone thought to install a double set trigger in a M1920?

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
It's obvious y'all don't spend any time with '03 Springfields, Krags, M1's, etc. The M1920 trigger is no worse (and no better) than any of them. You get used to them, and then learn to love them. grin

True.

The 1920 and 20/26 triggers are comparable to the other bolt action centerfire rifles of that era. Remington 30s, Winchester 54s, and Savage 40/45 Super Sporters weren't any better.

The standards/expectations in 2023 and quite different from what they were in 1923.

You might learn to love them, but I doubt that I'll ever get there. Accept them for what they are and act accordingly.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, we moderns forgot why the 2-stage trigger existed in the first place. Moving around in The Great Outdoors (or a battlefield) can be a risky venture, and the 2-stage trigger was designed to mitigate accidental discharges. Instead of a typical sear engagement wherein the parts are clinging together by the skin of their teeth, held back by a safety, the old 2-stager had an enormous amount of sear bite (also backed up by a safety). The exasperating long first stage of the pull was engineered, through leverage, to defeat almost all of that generous sear engagement leaving things now clinging by the skin of their teeth. The final stage of the pull then tripped it over the edge.

One accustomed to such a trigger simply takes up the first stage as the target is acquired, then knuckles down and performs the final let-off as the sight picture coalesces. Unless of course you're in a scared sh*tless situation on a battlefield (or a neophyte hunter) and you just yank the SOB in one fell swoop.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think Savage designed the 99's sear engagement to be a little overly generous, entailing a generally long tedious trigger pull for much the same reasons I stated above, as a way to provide a safe sear engagement for rugged use. Incorporating a 2-stage pull to take up most of the engagement and provide a short crisp final pull for accurate shooting would've meant an even more Rube Goldberg design than what Art gave us. A much simpler task when done in a bolt gun, like the 1920, than in a lever gun with a remote control trigger like the 99's.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It never ceases to amaze me that the youngsters and gun scribes that cannot abide a 2 stage, flocked to the Savage accutrigger by the thousands, singing it's praises....when in fact, it is a 2 stage trigger with more moving parts.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I think Savage designed the 99's sear engagement to be a little overly generous, entailing a generally long tedious trigger pull for much the same reasons I stated above, as a way to provide a safe sear engagement for rugged use. Incorporating a 2-stage pull to take up most of the engagement and provide a short crisp final pull for accurate shooting would've meant an even more Rube Goldberg design than what Art gave us. A much simpler task when done in a bolt gun, like the 1920, than in a lever gun with a remote control trigger like the 99's.

"Accidental" firing is why Bearrr264 banned exposed hammer lever actions and anything with a DST from his hunts. If you brought one, he wouldn't let you use it, safety first.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks for all the trigger discussion fellas. I grew up shooting milsurps so two stage triggers are no issue. Two stage triggers that suck, still suck. For the money these things bring this news is less than motivating. I reckon I should get one in hand before I go off and gunbroker it. Seeing as how Southeast Alaska isn't exactly overrun with fine vintage arms, this could take awhile.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
two stage triggers don't bother me in the least, probably because I shot thousands of rounds through an M1 Garand while stationed in Guantanamo Bay. If you shoot enough different types of guns enough times you learn to adjust to the particular trigger.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
It never ceases to amaze me that the youngsters and gun scribes that cannot abide a 2 stage, flocked to the Savage accutrigger by the thousands, singing it's praises....when in fact, it is a 2 stage trigger with more moving parts.

EXACTLY

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everybody sees things based on their personal experiences.

There is quite a bit of inaccurate information on the 1920s floating around because the people who published their experiences actually had very little experience with them, often a very small sample size of only one or two different rifles. Layne Simpson published an article some years back that was about 50% accurate and Frank DeHaas had a similar degree of error in his chapter on the 1920s in his book on bolt action rifles. My point is that you can't assume that the guy writing the article is as well versed as his name recognition might suggest and that a random sample size of less than 30 isn't statistically significant to be representative of the thing being assessed.

They are neat little rifles, particularly the 1920s in 250-3000, and are as fun to shoot as any rifle. Probably not the rifle you would ever consider if sub-MOA accuracy is your goal, but they aren't bad for what they are.

Or as least that has been my personal experience with several dozen different 1920s and 20/26s.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 40 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,412
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.