Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gregintenn
They sure need thinning out.

I just go down there to walk the dog, and there is always a heron or two fishing in the river. I like the way they look.
What is the problem you have with these big birds , are they eating the fish in your catfish pond or what?

I must say this bird looks like a badass with that neck coiled in a big "S."
A little froggie or a minnow wouldn't stand much of a chance.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We were out of town for a full day, when we returned about fifty of our fan tail gold fish and koi were laying around the pond. One of those cute heron birds found the pond, any fish too big to swallow, got tossed out on the bank to die. Cute ain't it.

It flew off and I did not see it ever come back, something may have happened to it.

Last edited by Rapier; 09/26/23.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
See them often in our extended backyard which is a tidal marsh off the Ashley River. More white herons here, though. When I was a kid up north (60s) they were rare. Usually there’d be one down in the marsh behind the house for a week or so in the spring, then again in the fall. Spooky as hell, if it saw you 200 yards away it would take off. Around mid 70’s you started seeing a few in the summer, now they are all over up there. A number of bird species are common now that we seldom if ever saw in the late ‘50’s and early 60’s. I’ve often thought it must be tied to the elimination of DDT in the ecosystem.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Following me around when fishing on a beach, when we lived in Florida. He thought I was a better fisherman than I was, he was disappointed.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A 243 works well.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Let me guess, they are federally protected.

Great pics ss336. I am shooting a Nikon with a 6x lens, and then had to blow the pic up again in photo editing. I think you were closer to that guy on the beach.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
He was pretty close. I think he was trying to pick my pocket.
Took the picture with my iPhone.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter
A 243 works well.
A 6mm or 6.5mm Creedmore n more is required for Blue herons.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
Originally Posted by Paladin
Saw one standing along side the road while I was still in high school. Thought it odd that, one, it wasn't near water, and two, it didn't fly as I passed by. So I turned around and went to investigate. Walked right up to it and picked it up. It was obviously distressed, but I couldn't find any external damage.

I put in the car and drove to my girlfriends house, where I retrieved the bird as I got out of the car. All the family that was home at the time came out to see the heron. As I was standing there holding bird, it did nothing more than watch everyone. Except my girlfriends brother. The heron evidently didn't like the looks of said brother, and promptly speared him in the head with the pointy end of the beak, it's mouth open about a half inch. It must have hurt a bit since I thought I saw a puff of smoke from around the area of the furious rubbing.

Friend of mine had one caught in a muskrat trap. Since the sensible thing to do was / is illegal, he decided to throw his coat over it and release it. Damn thing speared him right in the eye, ruptured the eyeball, permanently blinded in his right eye.

You saw Paladin’s post before I did. In Texas a guy picked up an injured great egret (a kind of heron) and it nailed him in both his eyes at once by striking with an open beak. IIRC he didn’t lose an eye, but it didn’t help his vision any.

Herons of all descriptions are notorious for that.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (1beaver_shooter, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 1minute, 16penny, 15 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,552
Posts18,510,383
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.