Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Why are you all bringing up fear? This seems likely to be covered by castle doctrine. In TX a person has legal protection to use deadly force to prevent someone from entering his home without his consent. Fear of physical harm is not a consideration.

The article notes he told the guy to stop and he didn't stop. That would make it a legal shoot.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What if your wife and kids are afraid? That very thing happened at my door about 3 weeks ago at 1:00 a.m. Turned out to be a deputy but I sure didn't know that while he was shining his flashlight in my windows and banging on the door, without announcing who he was. Not until I asked did he let me know. Many cops, like many people, have lost any common sense they should have.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Many cops, like many people, have lost any common sense they should have.

Half the population has either had the common sense educated out of them or they lack enough education to have developed any common sense.

Fine line how much education is the right amount huh?

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't matter whether he was in fear, was defending himself or even taking a dump. He shot one one the protected species. Regardless of anything he did being legal, just that fact means he's screwed. It will be interesting to see the outcome.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by memtb
You “MUST” be able to prove in court that you feared for your or someone else’s life was in eminent danger! In many states, it will stand up in court…..and rightly so! memtb
Only if reasonable. If some loony leftist, for example, is authentically terrified of anybody other than a cop carrying firearms (sincerely believing that they are going to be shot by them if they don't take quick action in self defense), sees a civilian carrying one, grabs an axe, sneaks up on him from behind, and kills him, it won't matter one bit that the loony leftist authentically feared everyone other than a cop who carried a gun. The legal standard will be whether the fear was reasonable under the circumstances.

It doesn't matter how authentic one's fear is if it's not reasonable, and reasonable is by the standard of what an ordinary prudent person would experience under like circumstances.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You “MUST” be able to prove in court that you feared for your or someone else’s life was in eminent danger! In many states, it will stand up in court…..and rightly so! memtb
Only if reasonable. If some loony leftist, for example, is authentically terrified anybody other than a cop carrying firearms, sees a civilian carrying one, grabs and axe, sneaks up on him from behind, and kills him, it won't matter one bit that the loony leftist authentically feared everyone other than a cop who carried a gun. The legal standard will be whether the fear was reasonable under the circumstances.

Belief that they were in imminent danger of severe bodily injury/grave bodily harm or death.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Only if reasonable. If some loony leftist, for example, is authentically terrified anybody other than a cop carrying firearms, sees a civilian carrying one, grabs and axe, sneaks up on him from behind, and kills him, it won't matter one bit that the loony leftist authentically feared everyone other than a cop who carried a gun. The legal standard will be whether the fear was reasonable under the circumstances.

Belief that they were in imminent danger of severe bodily injury/grave bodily harm or death.
Only if reasonable by the objective standard. This isn't really debatable, folks. It's just the law in every jurisdiction. Subjective fear isn't the standard.

In other words, wherever you read that fear is a component of justification, the fear is required to be reasonable. Irrational fear (even if 100% authentic) doesn't meet the legal standard.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The man was told to go away from the man's house,...he didn't. He should have.

The world is a crazy place. It's best to not be rattling around on people's doors at midnight.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Must’ve been a WOMAN State Trooper. 😜
from a link I read:

The name of the shooter was not immediately disclosed. State officials identified him as an off-duty Texas Highway Patrol trooper.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Jim1611
What if your wife and kids are afraid? That very thing happened at my door about 3 weeks ago at 1:00 a.m. Turned out to be a deputy but I sure didn't know that while he was shining his flashlight in my windows and banging on the door, without announcing who he was. Not until I asked did he let me know. Many cops, like many people, have lost any common sense they should have.

Sort of the same thing happened to me, door late at night, went to door, no one there, Went and grabbed a gun and walked outside, some joker leaning over my chainlink fence, I had gun up probably 20ft behind them. Person turned around it was a young women cop, things could have gotten ugly. There was no cop car in sight, she was parked at the bottom of the street.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Don't matter whether he was in fear, was defending himself or even taking a dump. He shot one one the protected species. Regardless of anything he did being legal, just that fact means he's screwed. It will be interesting to see the outcome.
PJ
it is a tossup on who is more protected cops or negros. there has been a rash of old people shooting thru doors and most were arrested. an old lady shot thru a door hitting a fat savage female negro who was cursing and banging on the door. she was arrested. I have not saw where the trooper has been arrested

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
from a link I read:

The name of the shooter was not immediately disclosed. State officials identified him as an off-duty Texas Highway Patrol trooper.

CHL is not a real instructor and is about as fugking dumb as they come. Don't ever expect him/them to read and comprehend anything.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
from a link I read:

CHL is not a real instructor and is about as fugking dumb as they come. Don't ever expect him/them to read and comprehend anything.

LOL
Oh look, I must’ve hurt ole Spandex C.unt’s feelers. Again. 😂
Tell us about your big ole “LEO” career in the Gay Coastie’s Corp.
Or stick to bikes and F.ags. Something more in your area of “expertise”.

Now run along and change your Kotex, you fuggin BLEEDER. 😂😂😂

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/26/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
from a link I read:

Damn we need a sarcasm emoji. That’s the reason I ended the statement in a 😜

I was hinting that the Trooper acted like a fuggin woman. 🤪
If your a TX State Trooper, and your not man enough to confront someone banging on your door, inside an apartment hi rise building, without shooting them though the door, than he probably needs an immediate remedial course on Use of Deadly Force.

Many here are quick to point out most women have no business being a LEO. I wholeheartedly agree.
Thus my snide comment.

Not to mention the fact that you RARELY Ever see a women TX State Trooper.

In 25 years of dealing with TX DPS as an licensed Instructor for the State CHL / LTC permit, I can count the number of women TX DPS Troopers I’ve seen on 1 hand.

One was their lead Hostage Negotiator. Her only other job was teaching at their academy in Austin.
The other 3 I saw all worked for their Drivers License Division.
I’ve never seen one on actual Patrol Duty.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Confronting a person beating on your door in a threatening manner is not manly, its stupid. You rip that door open and get in their face, and then you are trying to comprehend why your guts are falling out on the porch, or how in the fug your neck just sprung that leak. Only an idiot assumes the confrontation will go their way once that door opens. Placing yourself within reach of a person who is unknown to you and threatening is STUPID.

Some of the dumbest charlatans I have ever met were licensed instructors, with an outsized percentage amongst CCW and tactical instructors. Being licensed to teach a course, no matter what course, is far from evidence of expertise in that subject or any other. There are some damn good folks doing these things, but not one of them will ever tell you to man up and confront a threatening person on your doorstep.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Only if reasonable by the objective standard. This isn't really debatable, folks. It's just the law in every jurisdiction. Subjective fear isn't the standard.

In other words, wherever you read that fear is a component of justification, the fear is required to be reasonable. Irrational fear (even if 100% authentic) doesn't meet the legal standard.

You won't likely read the word fear in self-defense laws. It rarely appears in them. There's a reason that they use the words reasonable belief rather than reasonable fear.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APredator
Confronting a person beating on your door in a threatening manner is not manly, its stupid. You rip that door open and get in their face, and then you are trying to comprehend why your guts are falling out on the porch, or how in the fug your neck just sprung that leak. Only an idiot assumes the confrontation will go their way once that door opens. Placing yourself within reach of a person who is unknown to you and threatening is STUPID.

Some of the dumbest charlatans I have ever met were licensed instructors, with an outsized percentage amongst CCW and tactical instructors. Being licensed to teach a course, no matter what course, is far from evidence of expertise in that subject or any other. There are some damn good folks doing these things, but not one of them will ever tell you to man up and confront a threatening person on your doorstep.

Never claimed to be an Eggspurt. Was merely relaying the total number of TX DPS Troopers I have personally seen who were actually women, in my 25 years of dealing directly with the TX DPS Agency. After joking that this particular Trooper must’ve been a woman. 🤪
Granted, Most folks would be better off not opening the door.
But he was a “trained” Trooper. Highly trained in conflict resolution, de-escultation, and arresting difficult combatants. That’s what he does daily for a living.
Guess if he was too scared to open the door, and arrest the Perp, he should have called the Houston PD Dept, and waited or help. 🤪 I’m betting that’s what most of todays LEO’s would have advised.
Deadly Force was not reasonably necessary until the Perp kicked the door down and made entrance into the apartment. Period.
Personally, I’m not going to be using deadly force on someone merely banging on my door.
My point was he had no business being a State Trooper if someone scared him into using deadly force by just banging on the door.
If you or I did the same, we’d probably be looking at charges filed by a Libertard DA and a Libertard Grand Jury in a Libertard Schitthole like Houston.

Until the Perp breaks the door down, or enters the apartment, he’s not a threat.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Justified deadly force in Kentucky is pretty loose compared to many other states. But I doubt you’d get any sympathy after shooting thru a door at a threat you can’t see. How do you say you were in fear of your life when you can’t see any danger?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don’t know the particulars of this case but I’d be very unlikely to be shooting through doors. There are most definitely situations where I can see shooting through the door as being completely justifiable and appropriate. It’s during those moments of shear terror where it’s impossible for us, not having been there, to empathize with what the victim was feeling. If someone knows I’m on the other side of the door because I’m trying to retreat and get away from them and they keep coming as they’re breaking the door then I just might shoot through the door. If my wife or children are with me and the bad guy keeps coming I’m shooting through the door. My tolerance for fear might be higher or my fear of having to take a life might be greater but either way I know that if I ever have to use my firearm in self defense I’ll be more than legally justified BUT just as importantly (for me) I know that I’ll be morally justified. I know that because I know myself, I know how I react and process information under extreme stress and I know how much I value life, all life. I pray that I’ll meet my Creator having only helped others….never having taken another life or having caused great pain and suffering to another. That doesn’t mean that I won’t nor does it mean that I’d hesitate for a split second to do what NEEDED to be done!

Every situation is different and where you live can impact your decisions…iow…if you live in downtown Houston or Chicago’s south side your reaction might be different than if you live in Podunk USA…..(the accuracy of those in Podunk is better than Chicago 😉)

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That was my first guess.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1eyedmule, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 18,279 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,951
Posts18,539,526
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.