Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My son commutes about 100 miles round trip 5-6 days a week so he spends a lot of time on the road. He has been rear ended twice and had cars totaled. Most recently in a 2009 Honda Fit with 200,000 miles on it. He bought it 2 years earlier for $2500. Insurance paid him $7200 for the car and cut him another $300 check to pay for the new tires he just put on it.

We all felt it was more than fair.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Do you have maintenance records and receipts?

I've fought other folks' insurance companies a couple of times as what they were offering was nowhere near what the car was actually worth. Older vehicle with a replaced engine, new tires, new brakes, new half shafts, etc which just in that were worth more than they offered.

Best wishes in dealing with the hassle. As other's have said, insurance co's are not your friend, yours or the other driver's.

I can come up with oil change receipts but most of the time I have changed the oil myself so that might be hard to prove as all I have for proof is my receipt for buying the oil and filter. We haven't had to spend much on the car except normal wear items like tires and brakes.

Another 30 minutes on the phone today listening to the agent defend the adjuster and backpedal on everything he told me earlier in the week. He also tried convincing me I needed to get the accident report from the sheriff's dept so they could contact the other driver's insurance co. I said, so they're going to treat me better than you are? I told him to get the report for himself, which he has and easily. I may be dealing with some lazy people to boot.

We bought a car today so that's taken care of. We weren't waiting on the settlement check for that. Now I can focus on them. I suggested they haul my car back from the salvage yard too and might push that if they still cause problems. That should cost them close to 1000.00. They don't have the title from us either so it had better be intact. If not I may have them at a disadvantage. I have a figure in mind to settle for so we'll see what happens. The agent said they also found comps that compared to what they want to pay me. All low ball of course. For every one he found I found at least 2 that supported my price.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Several years ago i got hit by 2 cars at a stoplight.

The first car behind me had a crappy insurance co. but the one that hit them causing the first to hit me again had a good one.

After not hearing from them i called and they just gave me the runaround.

I talked to my insurance co and they did what the other should have done.

I had an estimate with in 3 days and my insurance looked for same type in a 500 mile range.

They then found out that ours was worth a lot more money than plain jane was.

My ins.wrote us a check and then they went after the others.

The price was larger than what we paid for it but the sad thing was i really liked that one.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Car Insurance is like divorce...

Its the screwing you get, for the screwin' you got.

with all the hype insurance companies claim when you buy a policy, they ought to honor that, not what they pull to get out of it... like the way adjusters sit in the office each morning over coffee , or around the water cooler, bragging how much they gypted a customer out of the day before...

its like paying for a steak at a restaurant, and then you are supposed to be happy, with the half eaten, and dropped on the floor piece of chicken they want to give you....

insurance companies might by in business to make money... at the same time, I'm in the business of getting what I've paid for, not on accepting what they want to rip me off for.

I run a business. I take care of a customer. If I have to take a loss, that is the cost of doing business.

My reputation and word, is worth more than losing a few bucks.

and as I've always said....you catch a thief from Ali Baba's Gang, and then he asks what are you mad at him, he isn't doing anything different than the other 39 guys are doing.....

I buy max insurance on any vehicle I own and drive... yet after years of paying that, and I finally have a need for what I've been paying for all along... and I'm offered a half eaten hamburger, for all the steak I've paid for.. that isn't acceptable... as they say back home.. " that dog won't hunt!"..

screw insurance companies, because they certainly screw the consumer.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
My wife hit a moose with her Buick Enclave. It only had 6000 miles. Our insurance company found the exact loaded model brand new and it didn’t cost me anything. No deductible. I staying with them. Edk

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Doesn't even come close to what I feel it should. Any of you guys have any experience with this? By the way we are were not at fault. T-boned on a through street.
Never does. Insurance companies are some of the biggest crooks on the planet!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Do you have maintenance records and receipts?

I've fought other folks' insurance companies a couple of times as what they were offering was nowhere near what the car was actually worth. Older vehicle with a replaced engine, new tires, new brakes, new half shafts, etc which just in that were worth more than they offered.

Best wishes in dealing with the hassle. As other's have said, insurance co's are not your friend, yours or the other driver's.

I can come up with oil change receipts but most of the time I have changed the oil myself so that might be hard to prove as all I have for proof is my receipt for buying the oil and filter. We haven't had to spend much on the car except normal wear items like tires and brakes.

Another 30 minutes on the phone today listening to the agent defend the adjuster and backpedal on everything he told me earlier in the week. He also tried convincing me I needed to get the accident report from the sheriff's dept so they could contact the other driver's insurance co. I said, so they're going to treat me better than you are? I told him to get the report for himself, which he has and easily. I may be dealing with some lazy people to boot.

We bought a car today so that's taken care of. We weren't waiting on the settlement check for that. Now I can focus on them. I suggested they haul my car back from the salvage yard too and might push that if they still cause problems. That should cost them close to 1000.00. They don't have the title from us either so it had better be intact. If not I may have them at a disadvantage. I have a figure in mind to settle for so we'll see what happens. The agent said they also found comps that compared to what they want to pay me. All low ball of course. For every one he found I found at least 2 that supported my price.

Are you now going through your own insurance instead of the other driver's insurance? If so, you will incur a collision deductible which your insurer will attempt to collect back from the other guy's company. If you go through the other guys insurance you won't pay a deductible. All insurance companies are not created equal. Some pay claims willingly and some do not. There is a stark difference between some of the big insurers whose commercials saturate the tv screen. If you are dealing with certain companies you can bang you head against the wall for months and you are not going to get paid what you are owed. If you are dealing with other companies, you will get paid what you are owed eventually. If you bring an attorney in to handle anything other than an injury claim you are throwing your money away as they will take 1/3. Sounds like the other guy's insurer is at least accepting liability at least.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (16gage, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,638
Posts18,512,170
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.