Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My 18" M760 in 35 Remington is perfect. 35 Rem operates at lower pressures so shorter barrels aren't overly obnoxious. I wouldn't want this particular barrel any shorter. It's my Wisconsin woods gun. Never had any problems with it failing to make rated speeds. I don't believe it's a factory carbine. Whoever worked mine over did a good job. Barrel crown is perfect and accuracy is excellent.

HR IC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Switch
Get some ear plugs!
BOOM! laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by tzone
Truthfully, unless you really want the 18.5" barrel so you can really have a "Benoît special" I'd chop it at 20. The VX1 2-7x33 is almost the perfect scope for it. Then only one I'd like better would be a 1.75-6.

Could be a sweet rifle. Post pics when you get it.

I owned a 308 Carbine (18.5") for years and went to 20" instead. Now on my 3rd 760 cut to 20" and would not go any shorter. I currently use a 1
5-5 on my 30-06 in the lowest mounts I could find here. It's a perfect combo. Also had it drilled for a Williams FP which works very well indeed.

I have long wondered why Remington chose not to d&t the 740/742/74/7400 and 760/76/7600 series for a peep sight? They used to d&t the 700 series for years and I have very seldom seen a receiver sight installed on a 700.

I had a trapdoor buttplate made for my Winchester 100s so that I could install the base and store the working part of a Lyman 66W88 inside the stock just in case the scope failed. With a one-piece Weaver base installed I can pull the scope, more quickly if it is installed with QD rings, and install the peep sight. The "trough" of the Weaver base allows me to easily use the peep sight without having to install a higher front sight. I've never used it in the field, but have swapped back and forth at the range a few time and the return to zero is easily minute-of-deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by tzone
Truthfully, unless you really want the 18.5" barrel so you can really have a "Benoît special" I'd chop it at 20. The VX1 2-7x33 is almost the perfect scope for it. Then only one I'd like better would be a 1.75-6.

Could be a sweet rifle. Post pics when you get it.

I owned a 308 Carbine (18.5") for years and went to 20" instead. Now on my 3rd 760 cut to 20" and would not go any shorter. I currently use a 1
5-5 on my 30-06 in the lowest mounts I could find here. It's a perfect combo. Also had it drilled for a Williams FP which works very well indeed.

I have long wondered why Remington chose not to d&t the 740/742/74/7400 and 760/76/7600 series for a peep sight? They used to d&t the 700 series for years and I have very seldom seen a receiver sight installed on a 700.

A Williams FP or Lyman on a 20" 760 is perfection.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First question is have you tried Benoit style hunting? You need tracking snow and vast sections of huntable property without many hunters. I'd read everything I could get my hands on Benoit's from the first Sports Afield article with Larry on the cover from the '70's. I even cut down a m141 .35 Remington and put on fiber optic front sight and a peep. I went tracking for a few years and got some nice bucks... for other guys who shot "my" buck. Nope, with 630,000 hunting deer here, there are just too many hunters to successfully "Benoit" one on a regular basis where I hunt.

I might go still hunting a little at mid day, but if you are like most guys you will probably want to be on a stand first thing in the morning and again later in the day. That says scope sight to me. For a compromise walking sitting scope you want a huge exit pupil, lighter weight, lower power, lower mounted scope. My combination deer rifle is a 22" barrel m99F .300 Savage with a Leupold 1.5-5x20 Var-X lll with the heavy duplex reticle. That thing points like my index finger and perfect for that application.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Still a PSG? If so, I doubt you have the time or peace and quiet to hunt Benoit style. BTDT

With that said, I would find which bullets the rifle likes the best. 150, 165, or 180s all will do the job at short, woods distances but you will need to consider bullet construction as any significant barrel shortening will affect muzzle velocities.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate all the advice. What my vision was was to make a short handy woods rifle. I mainly hunt in South Carolina and the shots can range from a few feet to 100+ yards. Usually its from a tree-stand. I also hunt in the big woods of the Adirondacks (Tug Hill area to be exact) and there its either still hunting or stands/blinds. I have a friend who did this to a 7600 in 270 (I'm not sure how short he cut the barrel-I'll have to ask) and I always really liked the rifle so decided I'd like a similar rifle but in 30-06 instead.

From all the advice I've received here, I'll get it scoped and try it as is but am leaning towards a 20" barrel

Please keep the suggestions and comments coming!

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Dinny,

No longer a PSG, Now a retired 1SG

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
In their later years the Benoits went to scoped rifles . Low powered Leupold variables.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Army_PSG
3. Any particular loads that would work well in a short barrel? I'm thinking 180s as far as bullet weight but I'm all ears to load suggestions
Pretty small sample size. Take it for what it is worth. For many years I shot 30-06 with 165s of many varieties, but mostly ballistic tips, over 60 gr of H4831. It was a very accurate load in several bolt rifles. My Dad's 22 inch 760 shot 1.5 moa with it.

But in Mom's 18.5 inch 742, I could not keep five rounds on a 9 inch paper plate. A switch to IMR 3031 with the 165 bt was the solution. The rifle was again a 300 yd deer gun. That was the late '70s, so I can not state the powder charge.

Now, whether the issue was the gas port and semi auto action or the carbine length barrel, I do not know. But the faster powder definitely cured the problem.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Dinny,

No longer a PSG, Now a retired 1SG

I retired 2 years ago. Made the new 8 list with a low number a few weeks before I signed out on terminal leave. I have no regrets!

Enjoy your time afield!

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Everyone should have an 18 1/2" .30-06 peep sighted 760. Cut it! What an awesome weapon. Next time you're in the Adirondacks find a track and go. There is really nothing like this kind of hunting. Everyone here is right - if the stock has enough drop to put your eye right behind the peep sight, you'll be recanting within 3 shots from the bench. It will hurt you. Also, an 18 1/2' .30-06 is deafening! But, offhand at a 50yd buck, you'll never know it went off. Tracking is a young man's game though, with a steep learning curve. I've had a little success but, I'm no Larry Benoit. If nothing else it will give you an appreciation for what Larry, Lanny & Co. do/did. As I get older I find I really appreciate a scope. 2-7 is ok but, for a dedicated tracking gun I'd want a true 2x (2x7's are more like 2.5x) and maybe scout mounted. Some folks do fine with higher power maybe you're one of them. Practice offhand at 50 yds. Stand 90degrees from the target, port arms, sing your favorite song until you forget what you're doing then spin raise the rifle and shoot. Try it on a moving target. All of a sudden 50yds is a long way off! When the Benoits switched to scopes Lanny went 3-9 Trijicon but Larry went 1-4 Trijicon which would be my choice between the two. I've always used 180gr round nose corelokts because that's what Larry used and they work well but, Lanny used various 150gr .270's through a 19" barrel if I remember correctly but I know he's not afraid to switch things up either.

Whatever you do get a copy of Larry's "How to Bag the Biggest Buck of Your Life" if you haven't already.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
As my eyesight started to go, I went from a peep to a 2-7 on my 30-06 carbine. I think it is just about perfect for what I do

The carbine certainly does kill ‘em and grill ‘em at the same time. I’d gladly get rid of it if I could find a decent affordable 35 REM.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Peep sight seems appropriate.
I wouldn't cut the barrel until I got a scope and I wouldn't go straight to 18"

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've killed quite a few deer with a 760 Carbine in .30-06, using a Burris FFII 2-7x.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
760 +30-06 = Mule kicker worst kicking rifle ever, up to and including 50 cal. and loud - have fun brace urslef,

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Recoil on mine has never been an issue, even with 165-180gr bullets.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Kick Eez, Limb Saver, or Pachmeyer! Those original Remington steel butt plates are killers.

[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

And here is that 35 Remington someone was asking about! Two days left to bid.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1010668507

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by okie john
3. Any particular loads that would work well in a short barrel? I'm thinking 180s as far as bullet weight but I'm all ears to load suggestions
Ammo makers have had 117 years to figure out the 30-06, so almost anything should work well.

4. Any pitfalls with doing this? Has anyone done this and found something I should be aware of? Has anyone done this and regretted it?

I haven’t cut up a 760, but I have cut up other rifles. My regrets come from moving too quickly because I lost sight of what I wanted to accomplish.

The Benoit rifle is a mix of features carefully chosen to support a specific hunting style. The Benoits literally speed marched or ran through deep snow while tracking huge bucks from dawn until dusk for days on end. They used carbines to minimize weight and peep sights because most of their shots were close and fast. Those shots demand a rifle that balances well. They were also not shy about shooting as many times as needed to drop a big buck, and Remington pumps are pretty good at that.

Shortening a rifle’s barrel cuts weight but it also pushes the balance aft. Scopes makes this worse since they sit aft of the balance point. The heavier the scope, the worse it gets. If the balance point moves too far to the rear, then the muzzle will float on fast shots. Peep sights don't weigh enough to do that.

You can read everyone’s thoughts on balance here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/18593502/1

If you use your rifle scoped, then you have to accept the fact that you're departing pretty significantly from the Benoit model so you won't get the same benefits.

I'd shoot it with a scope before I cut the barrel. Use a timer and paper targets to see how long it takes to get solid hits at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards. Try the existing scope and mounts to set a baseline. Then put the older scope in very low mounts and see how that goes. The results might surprise you.

You can probably find a 2.5x or fixed 4x Leupold on the Classifieds around here for $200-ish.

Then you can make better decisions about sights and barrel length.

Okie John

You have so vastly oversimplified and misstated the most difficult method of deer hunting extant to a point where I doubt you understand it at all. First, the Benoit family of the NE Kingdom of VT and the Bernier family of Maine along with a number from of other well known practitioners of the same dark arts from Maine back to the Adirondack Mountains area including the famous NY tracker Jim Massi tracked because deer in these wilderness regions are largely migratory deer rather than small lot deer who are often able to be patterned.

Second they often had to cover ground at speed but that was only to catch up on a good buck when tracks were several hours old. As they got closer by reading the sign of the animal they slowed to a speed necessary to move with the animal while still covering ground until they got to a point where a shot was possible. Did you know they also did this on bare ground? So it was much much more than running down deer in deep snow.

Moreover northern Maine for example is a hatch cross of old and new logging roads and trails so with a map and compass they could get themselves to a road at some point to get out. As to rifle choice I think they picked something portable and fast since the majority of shot distances were less than 50 yards in mixed growth woods. I am not convinced a barrel shorter than 22” offers any advantage to the hunter under such conditions but I do think a red dot sight would be handy as heck. A well known tracker in Maine I know has over 40 Biggest Bucks in Maine patches and mounts those bucks with their heads turned in the attitude they were in when he shot them. Most are turned looking back or behind them. He favors a Marlin 336 in 30-30 and says he puts up a wall of lead until the buck is down. Note, he said there is no need to spray and pray but rather shoot and hit until the buck is down.

It is the pinnacle of hunting deer but there is so much more to it than what you wrote John.

The way life should be.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having been a practitioner of tracking and still hunting in northern WI and MN, with a nice collection of racks to show for it. FOV on a rifle that fits to the point when the butt hits your shoulder your looking through the scope. I liked short rifles, still do for coyote hunting. 16.25" Sav 99 in 308, sporterised 1917 in 30-06 16.5" both tossing heavy RN's, 180's in the 308 and 220's in the 06. Scopes over the years Weaver V-4.5, K-1.5, V-3, and Leupold 1-4'sin their various forms.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,450 guests, and 766 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,661
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.