Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no loan

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nope,i don t borrow,i don t lend.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by High_Noon
...amateurs asking to borrow your saw? I just had a relative ask to borrow my 261 Pro saw to use on his new lake house property, which is an acre. I told him it wasn't working and I was planning on taking it into the shop. I then suggested he purchase a 170 homeowner or possibly an Echo - if you need a saw, you buy a saw, you never ask to borrow another man's saw. I would only loan my saw to an experienced faller, who I know would respect it. What say you?

Lying comes easy to Texans. Personally I would have told them I don't loan my saw out and I wouldn't. I'm this case I would flat out tell them that, or if it's a simple job maybe do it for them. Maybe. As for the recommendation of what saw that should get I completely agree and would suggest the same

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by mart
There are people I won’t loan anything to but most folks are pretty careful with other’s tools. In the end it’s just stuff. Helping a neighbor out with the loan of a tool doesn’t really scare me. I’d be cautious about loaning out my tractor and backhoe without having the borrower demonstrate some skill with it first. Or at least not without giving him a block of instruction first if he’d never used one.

I agree, but a Stihl Pro saw is another story.

I made the mistake of loaning my 261 to my idiot brother ONCE - on his very first cut, he destroyed the blade and the chain. He didn't pay for the damage either.

My mistake on the earlier post.
I'd never loan my saw.
But if I had crappy stuff like Stihls it would be OK.
Guess everyone should own a beater saw.

😉😉😉😉😉😉😉

Maybe I'd loan one of the 10-10s.
If they break it, I'm not out much.
If they run it for long, they will never ask again.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Personally, I would loan a saw to most anyone that would ask.

If they are a good guy with knowledge... they would get a good well tuned saw and the oil and gas to go with it.

If they are not a good guy... they would get the $40 Craftsman tuned for extra vibration... and the oil and gas to go with it.

Never turn down a man in need... but that does not mean you have to solve all of his problems as well.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Before I had a saw, if anything need cut I'd ask the saw owner to drop it and cut into manageable pieces. I'd pay for time and fuel. If payment was refused(which often times it was for small stuff) they would find a handle of there whiskey of choice on their back porch. I would never run some one else's saw.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of people are comfortable borrowing others tools. I have a mechanic for a neighbor that doesn't have so much as a socket and ratchet on his entire property. Every time he needs a cordless skilsaw or a drill he knocks on my door. I always say yes and often help him do his task. But, my wife and I recognize he asks a whole lot more than he offers. As far as the chainsaw, that is a hard no anymore.

People that don't have one probably don't know how to run one either so will only abuse your saw.

LOL
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (222Sako, 19rabbit52, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 45 invisible), 1,950 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,461
Posts18,508,205
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.