Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GF1
I have a 7mm Rem Mag Westerner, with factory 24” barrel and sights, standard contour. These were a Cabela’s run, BACO; found a Supergrade stock and bottom metal so it’s a bit of a hybrid. With scope all up it’s a shade over 10#, so I definitely can appreciate the 24” Featherweight idea. Certainly not a mountain rig, but scary accurate.

The problem with the weight of your rifle is in the stock and probably the glass, also keeping in mind they do not make a fwt 7mm rem mag barrel profile. I have multiple magnum rifles that weigh 8 pounds scoped. I'd also trust them to hit their mark very consistently out to 500 yards. I don't know where you hunt, but in most cases, the 8 pound all up will suffice 9 times out of 10. I have had some tags that I knew would require a rifle set up to reach past 700 yards with consistency, so I chose to go the 10 pound all up route myself. Higher magnification, better glass, AO's, and stronger internals so you can twist turrets reliably add weight. BTDT on all the above, but most times a nice 8 pound (all up) works just fine.

The funny thing is I have fwt rifles that weigh more than my magnums. It all boils down to stock choice on those rifles. These are model 70's of different era's.

Let's not even talk about Tikka's. A different subject altogether, but fun mentioning here. Have one that I'm selling to a buddy, that is 7 pounds all up and chambered in 300WSM. It's easily managed, generally shooting in the .6's. with the right yahoo behind it. My buddy is a SWAT member, but still shoots it in the .8's, or around 3/4". That's a different subject all together. But wouldn't it be nice to have a 7 pound all up model 70? Especially a magnum rifle. Now, that would indeed be a true "featherweight"..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by GF1
I have a 7mm Rem Mag Westerner, with factory 24” barrel and sights, standard contour. These were a Cabela’s run, BACO; found a Supergrade stock and bottom metal so it’s a bit of a hybrid. With scope all up it’s a shade over 10#, so I definitely can appreciate the 24” Featherweight idea. Certainly not a mountain rig, but scary accurate.

The problem with the weight of your rifle is in the stock and probably the glass, also keeping in mind they do not make a fwt 7mm rem mag barrel profile. I have multiple magnum rifles that weigh 8 pounds scoped. I'd also trust them to hit their mark very consistently out to 500 yards. I don't know where you hunt, but in most cases, the 8 pound all up will suffice 9 times out of 10. I have had some tags that I knew would require a rifle set up to reach past 700 yards with consistency, so I chose to go the 10 pound all up route myself. Higher magnification, better glass, AO's, and stronger internals so you can twist turrets reliably add weight. BTDT on all the above, but most times a nice 8 pound (all up) works just fine.

The funny thing is I have fwt rifles that weigh more than my magnums. It all boils down to stock choice on those rifles. These are model 70's of different era's.

Let's not even talk about Tikka's. A different subject altogether, but fun mentioning here. Have one that I'm selling to a buddy, that is 7 pounds all up and chambered in 300WSM. It's easily managed, generally shooting in the .6's. with the right yahoo behind it. My buddy is a SWAT member, but still shoots it in the .8's, or around 3/4". That's a different subject all together. But wouldn't it be nice to have a 7 pound all up model 70? Especially a magnum rifle. Now, that would indeed be a true "featherweight"..

No, the glass adds very little to the weight of this rifle, and it is far from a “problem”, as I intended it as a beanfield/antelope rifle. The main source of weight is the small .284” hole in a standard weight barrel, as well as the relatively heavy figured stock. The Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 adds a bit also. I’d not change a thing with it.

Last edited by GF1; 09/29/23.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 621 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,442
Posts18,507,772
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.