Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RHOD
Eaten goat many times. Sometimes it is delicious, sometimes it taste like a… goat.

Ditto.

Have eaten domestic goats and wild Rocky Mountain goats. The domestic goat meat IME is sometimes similar to venison, generally good. Sikh friends in Canada made a spicey hot green colored stew out of goat that was delicious. We ate several goats when I was growing up, processed and cooked just like we would deer.

The wild Rocky Mountain goats IME have all been very tasty and very tough. But I've only eaten old, mature ones, both billies and nannies. They make very good crockpot stew.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Plumdog
Originally Posted by smokepole
I went on an elk hunting trip with a couple of guys who had pack goats. Really cool animals, follow you around like a dog if you let them. They raised them and trained them up for packing, and sold some to cover their costs. One guy was a veterinarian so that helped.

Anyway, on every trip they'd bring a few new ones to train them on packing. There was one young billy that would just not cooperate so they spent a lot of time chasing him down and such. All the goats had names to begin with, but halfway through the trip we gave that billy a new name.

"Cabrito."
The rest of the string was on their best behavior after that I presume?

They already were pretty much. Bottle fed and imprinted on humans, almost like a pet. Get them loaded up with gear and start down the trail and they'd just fall in line and start walking. Every day at lunchtime one of us would have to come back to camp to let them off their leads so they could browse for an hour or so.

They'd get pretty spread out, and to get them back we had a bag of salted in the shell peanuts. You'd take that bag out and shake it and goats would come running from every direction. Grab one, snap on the lead, and the reward was one peanut. And only one, didn't want to spoil 'em.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Butchered one belonging to my inlaws...medium size, and made summer sausage out of it which turned out fine. Not certain of pedigree of goat.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Gawd I’d rather eat deer

And I toss those fugkers out at the stop sign after pictures

lolololololol

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Several times in Texas, but it was always overdone, so I can't comment on flavor.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought a goat carcass to eat yesterday . Gave request for butcher cuts.

I love goat!

Mountain goat is unreal! Love it.

Last edited by Angus1895; 09/30/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Twice- First time in the Philippines; a bunch of us were sitting around the office of a regional strongman, someone brought in a foil wrapped package of curried goat, passed it around…it was pretty good. Next time was somewhere (don’t remember exactly where) in the Caribbean. Hungry, lunch time, and saw a sign pointing down an alley toward “Barbados Cafe.” (This was not Barbados, but had a lot of people from there in the workforce.) Thought “What the hell.” Went down the alleyway, a few tables in the alley, outside a door. The lunch special was some sort of goat stew. It was pretty good.

Mathew 22: 37-39

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
This is offensive to Paul Bernard. You see his nickname at LGBTQ rallies is goat meat. We have to solve this , Pards.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I ate roasted goat in Cameroon once. It wasn't bad.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Never wild only domestic. A little greasy but still good. In its basic state not a flavor to run from. If doctored up probably as good as a lot of proteins.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With green chile and fresh tortillas

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 19352012
Goat is called barbacoa at the Mexican places here. It's the sort of taste that I wouldn't pay for but if someone served it to me I would be happy to eat it. But with my money, we would have cabeza or cachete.

As a South Texas snow bird, "barbacoa" is the head (cabeza) of a cow. It is slow cooked in a smoker, then everything but the eyes and the ear and nasal gristle is sorta "mixed".
I don't (won't!) eat barbacoa. Just not my "thang"! 😖

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've slaughtered both goats and sheep. Good stuff if properly processed.
My first experience with mutton was a "leg 'o lamb" out of a meat market. The wife was on a "Passover" kick and wanted some lamb. After THAT experience, we didn't buy mutton for MANY years! It was nasty.
I've slaughtered rams, ewes, nanny's, billies and wethers.
They were all good, but the wether was the best!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I worked with a large Hispanic population for a long, long time. They are very generous with sharing their lunches. I have eaten many cabrito tacos. They are as good as anything, anywhere. Slow cooked whole over coals, then cubed and reheated in a light clear gravy, and wrapped in a fresh home made flour tortilla.......oh my!

Much, much better than lamb, none of the lanolin that all sheep stink of.

Old billy goats, on the other hand, and I have seen several butchered and cooked, smell and taste just like an old rutted buck with his neck swollen to the size of a basketball. Either one, you can smell cooking from a block down the street. It is not a pleasant smell. Only the most desperate would actually eat either.

This.

Double quote/agree.

Have eaten goat from domestic breeds raised specifically for meat, to to feral goats in various places. Generally it tastes a lot to me like good deer, whether whitetail or mule deer, if from the same-age animal.

Of course it also depends on the skill of the cook, and the pre-meal meat care.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I worked with a large Hispanic population for a long, long time. They are very generous with sharing their lunches. I have eaten many cabrito tacos. They are as good as anything, anywhere. Slow cooked whole over coals, then cubed and reheated in a light clear gravy, and wrapped in a fresh home made flour tortilla.......oh my!

Much, much better than lamb, none of the lanolin that all sheep stink of.

Old billy goats, on the other hand, and I have seen several butchered and cooked, smell and taste just like an old rutted buck with his neck swollen to the size of a basketball. Either one, you can smell cooking from a block down the street. It is not a pleasant smell. Only the most desperate would actually eat either.

This.

Double quote/agree.

Have eaten goat from domestic breeds raised specifically for meat, to to feral goats in various places. Generally it tastes a lot to me like good deer, whether whitetail or mule deer, if from the same-age animal.

Of course it also depends on the skill of the cook, and the pre-meal meat care.

Roasted kid goat in Argentina was memorable

👍🏼

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 2500HD, 57 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,273
Posts18,505,012
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.