Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can't figure out how Savage manages to stay in business...

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by lauren

From outward appearances, they seem to be doing well.

Seems like special editions from all gun manufacturers tend to be gaudy, gilded monstrosities that any true sportsman would be embarrassed to be seen with in the woods. But maybe that's the point; they aren't meant to be used, and thus true sportsman wouldn't buy them anyway.

If the 75th anniversary 99 was chambered in 300 savage, I would buy one, although I probably wouldn't use it in the woods. wink

Mike

Does it come in Red and Black plaid? Is it wool?
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

Maybe it's because they're the only American firearms manufacturer who has consistently shown double-digit profits for a number of years now while most of the other manufacturers are showing loses or minimal profits. Heck, in 2006 Remington reported a 4.3 million dollar loss! (Guess that NASCAR sponsorship didn't pan out for them. whistle )

Over 80% of Savage's sales come from their package rifles according to Brian, most of which are sold through chain stores (Wal-Mart, Cabela's, BPS, Gander, etc.) They're also the #2 manufacturer in the world when it comes to rimfires (over 220,000 units annually), with Marlin beating them out by a small margin last year (less than 10,000 units IIRC).

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MrFurious
They're also the #2 manufacturer in the world when it comes to rimfires (over 220,000 units annually),

Those would be Canadian made firearms, no? laugh wink

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mad_dog
They're also the #2 manufacturer in the world when it comes to rimfires (over 220,000 units annually),

Those would be Canadian made firearms, no? laugh wink

Yes ... Ontario ? grin

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Maybe it's because they're the only American firearms manufacturer who has consistently shown double-digit profits for a number of years now while most of the other manufacturers are showing loses or minimal profits. Heck, in 2006 Remington reported a 4.3 million dollar loss! (Guess that NASCAR sponsorship didn't pan out for them. whistle )

You beat me to it Jim ....

And Remington ( or should I say " private equity group " ? )is now the proud new owner of Marlin / H&R / NEF .....

Last edited by gd'40EG-300; 12/28/07.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rgr223cal
GLEN, any thoughts ??????????

Mike...

Seeing as though you asked Mike grin , brace yourself :

Being in manufacturing / design for the last 20+ years , what I have experienced is that every company has their own way of doing things . What works for company � A � doesn�t for company � B � and vice versa ��

Typically when parts go through a change because there is a design flaw , unfavorable results from the field , or they found a way to manufacture the part cheaper , the design department will change the revision . Things are not as easy as one might think . For instance :

Widget # 123 is part of a machine that comprises of 24 different components . During development of the machine , each component also goes through changes to get it � just right � . These changes or � revisions � that take place during the design/development stage are on a different identification system than changes that occur during production . A machine can and will have revisions during the production life � you can bet on that �.. not many , but it will happen .

The different revision systems may look something like this :

1) Design/product development stage = numeric ( REV 001 , REV 002 , REV 003 , etc ) This as you can see , leaves room for 999 changes ( revisions ) .

Now , as the machine get developed , each of the components that make up the machine , will complete the design stage at a different revision . Seldom does a designer get all the components right at the first attempt . At this point , the machine now gets ready for production release , at which point all the components that make up the machine are put on the same production revision .

2) After the machine has been fully designed , tested and released for production , the revision system looks like this = alphabetic ( REV A , REV B , REV C , etc )

Now at this stage , all of the components that make up the machine ( as well as the machine ) , are now placed on the same alphabetic revision system starting off with REV A . As you can see , this system leaves room for 26 revisions . If the machine does go through the allotted 26 changes , there is obviously a design flaw to say the least . In all my years designing and/or toolmaking , the furthest revision I have seen on production tooling or widgets is REV F or REV G ��. Typically you don�t seen them any further than REV C or REV D if the design group has done their job correctly .

This can seem very confusing , but this system is developed and used so there is a visible history of the design and product �� For liability reasons also .
This whole revision system falls under the Quality department at every company I have worked for over the years �.

Document Control is the sub � department in the Quality department . These folks are the � proof readers � of sorts . These people give me headaches finding all the details I sometimes over-look . Things like grammer , revision history documentation errors � little things like that .

Once these people stamp the blueprint � released � it is gospel . It is also a chore for this department to make sure that all of the older , no longer valid drawings are purged from the manufacturing floor and the vendors.

Now if there does need to be a revision on a production released component , there is a ECO ( engineering change order ) form that needs to be filled out and submitted �..

To give you the gist of what info is needed to make a change , see the vintage ( Utica , NY ) ECO form that I posted . Forms like that one are a little different today , but the basic idea is the same �.Things like : what are the changes ? , what revision is the part going up to ? , models affected ? , tooling change ? , etc ......

Now that I have explained the process to those who are un-familiar with the steps needed to design/change a part , I will answer the question : should Savage issue a new part number or � rev-up " the existing part number ?
If the part / rifle is released and into production , rev up the part number = #123 REV A is now #123 REV B .

Believe me , it is a lot easier to do this than to add a new part number . Just make sure the machine shop / production floor / vendor gets the latest revision and phase out the old revision .
The serial number of the rifle should tell the customer service folks what parts ( part # , revision # , etc ) have been installed in that particular rifle and who installed each sub assembly , rifle , etc �..
I hope this sheds some insight ..... besides , my fingers hurt crazy

A couple of vintage engineering forms from Utica :

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
They would be better offering up a 99 in 300 savage. With a brass rotary.

To celebrate the anniversary of the model 110 ? �� Savage should have chambered them in the original offerings � 30�06 and the .270 WCF , but in a way I �m glad they choose the .300 Savage . That means they will now have new tooling so they can build me a custom American Classic in a classic caliber � the .300 Savage .

Correct me if I�m wrong , but I believe this is the first time Savage is chambering a bolt gun in this caliber ��.

I hope they start chambering the classics in 250-3000 with twist rates the heavy bullets will like . It just makes sense .

Put me down for a matched set with consecutive serial numbers �.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Put me down for a matched set - .22HP and .303 smile Really, why go with the conventional? These are both elephant gun calibers and there are pictures to prove it.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
They should add 250 Savage to the offering

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
THANK YOU Glen........... grin grin grin

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (10gaugemag, 17Fan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 257_X_50, 48 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.