Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Curious,, how did they know from the GPS it was a Bear attack?
Careful out hunting this year, lots of Grizzlies around.
https://cochranenow.com/articles/two-dead-after-bear-attack-in-banff-national-park-

GB1

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Two dead.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
And Joe Biden just announced on Friday that we need to transplant grizzlies to Washington State to area that has cattle on it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Stuff happens in the wild. Grizzlies bite! GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder if that's why they call it the wild ?

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
GPS alert at 8pm the responders could not get there untill 1pm. 2 dead and an aggressive bear. Fun in the dark. Killed the bear.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 673
Curious,, how did they know from the GPS it was a Bear attack?
Careful out hunting this year, lots of Grizzlies around.
https://cochranenow.com/articles/two-dead-after-bear-attack-in-banff-national-park-

It could be that the alert was sent via a Garmin Inreach Explorer unit. Part of the SOS function allows the Garmin response centre to contact the person triggering the SOS via txt on the GPS itself, not a cellphone so cell service isn't required. The folks attacked might have had time to reply to the txt with info ref the SOS request before they died. FYI, a non-response to an SOS txt doesn't stop the search crews, if anything, it might speed them up.
I have one of these units, it has some very cool features.
It appears the responders couldn't fly in due to weather conditions. It was supposed to be pretty crappy weather in that region the last couple days.
Darn shame all the way around regardless.
Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by greydog
Stuff happens in the wild. Grizzlies bite! GD

Just enough to subdue you, then they eat you alive.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
troutfly;
Good evening my friend, I hope the weekend has been kind to you all and you're all doing well.

Thanks for the explanation on the Inreach, I appreciate you doing so.

My family keep on urging me to get something like that since I mostly hunt solo and as you can attest wouldn't qualify for a spring chicken anymore.

As 673 mentioned, there seems to be a whole lot of all varieties of bears about this season, so I'll echo his thoughts to be a wee bit extra careful out there this year.

All the best to you all troutfly, thanks again and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Troutfly.
I need an Inreach too Dwayne, I hunt almost exclusively alone, either of my Sons or both at times, but alone alot.
It would be good to call home and let them know... I'm getting eaten...over,... LOL laugh

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hi Dwayne and 673,

Good evening gents. Spring chickens we ain't but I suspect we can still do what needs doin, just doin it with a bit of style! Keeping the hunting, fly-fishing Gods and the ladies happy is what is important!

We finally received a bit of rain the last couple of days. still, darn dry out there. My shoulder is slowly getting better. Long way to go before I can shoot still.
I did acquire a dog recently. 8 year old Choc lab, fully trained as an upland bird machine. Owner had some serious health issues and couldn't keep him any longer.
All I had to do was offer the dog a good home and continue his hunting life. While I can't hunt this Fall, I have a friend who is going do the shooting while I work the dog.
Pretty good deal, everyone wins. He has even offered a few birds for my freezer. Of course, he had to actually shoot them......

Those Garmin units are great. I found out that the version I have isn't available through Garmin anymore. Was speaking with tech support a couple days ago ref an idea my hunting partner and I were kicking around. Off the cuff, I asked about the lack of new Inreach Explorer units on the website. They were d/c but will still be fully serviced/up-datable for the foreseeable future. Very popular product. Darned if I can recall the unit he said replaced them though. I suspect the new unit would also have those features plus more as Garmin does take outdoor safety quite seriously.

My hunting partner talked me into investing in the unit a couple of years ago. Being as I am diabetic plus bad knees and a tendency of hunting/flyfishing alone in some rough country he figured it was high time I had something like this. He had snagged one himself a month before for research purposes or, so he claimed lol. He hunts alone as well, I live in SE Alberta as Dwayne knows, my buddy is in the Edmonton area, so we only get together a few times a year, usually in the foothills. With an app that Garmin created, we can follow each others travels, whereabouts etc. even without cell service. As well, you can set it up so your family or friends can also track you, in realtime, from home on thier cell or laptop. I'm following his moose hunt this week from home. It is another safety feature built in to the system.

Have a great day,
Jeff

Last edited by troutfly; 10/01/23.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 673
Two dead.

3. Their dog was killed too.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Hugh_W2
And Joe Biden just announced on Friday that we need to transplant grizzlies to Washington State to area that has cattle on it.

California would be the better place. They have it on their flag after all.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
This illustrates the folly of not having some means to protect yourself in bear country. Plainly, the authorities charged with your safety are not going to be able to help you. I've almost always carried a rifle or pistol (depending on legality, of course) when in bear country. I have never had a need to shoot one but I would have felt pretty stupid if I had the need and didn't have the means. In this instance, firearms are prohibited in national parks (a good reason to strike them off your hiking list), so I don't know what the answer is. As for the electronic devices, Grandpa didn't need one; I don't either! GD

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The "experts" are giving multiple reasons for any Bear attack, hungry Bear, territorial Bear, Bear angry at dog, Bear guarding food etc...but they overlooked the main reason......no Grizzly hunt. This particular attack was in Alberta, but here there are alot of Grizzled Bears around, I am not sure what the goal is?

My friend who lives above me was watching tv and noticed something walking by, it was a Grizz and a rather large "cub", he took pics.

It isn't just Grizzlies, Blacks too, but you know, if someone doesn't kill the Sow's (black bears) you haven't done anything to control pops, on the contrary really as Boars will provide their own population control. My son just found a dead Black Bear he figured was killed by another Bear.

I am always armed when out in the bush, mostly for Bears, many (most) of my hunting acquaintance's have shot either a charging Grizzled or Black Bear,. Years ago when some were allowed handguns (timber cruisers), my friend shot 2 charging Black Bears on 2 occasions. I never have, but did have 3 experiences which keeps me on my toes.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Banff, Jasper, Waterton, Yellowstone and Glacier are all parks with plentiful grizzlies and areas where people are likely to come in contact with them. Kind of like all around Fernie! GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We made a last minute trip to Cody with our dog in November a couple of years ago, we decided to hike to the park entrance, about a mile from where we parked. There was pretty heavy snow and I figured bears would not be a problem then I came across bear tracks in the road. I felt like a totally defenseless fool for now having bear spray at a minimum. We've spent many summers in Alaska, Montana and Wyoming and I always carried a 10mm and spray, didn't think I would need any of that for this short trip, never again!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by 257Bob; 10/02/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been following this woman's long distance back backing adventures for a few years now. She just recently had to push the SOS button. First one is kind of long but she keep the camera going while agonizing if she had made the right choice.

The second one is from her mom's perspective.

Please don't feed the trolls!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My condelences to the families , horrific to lose loved ones any way it happens.
I live in Grizzly country, they frequent my land, and can stroll through our chicken house. We are experienced around them.
I find most city folks and many young people have no skills around wild or domestic animals.
I see evidence of this all the time, and furthermore they have no real interest in our wildlife or livestock.
I was at that lake in Banff for a wedding in August, the landscape is much like ours.
It seemed like the visitors around us were only there for the photo opp....imo. It is sad to see that the greater meaning of the landscape and its wildlife is completley lost to these tourists folks.
Then again....I am a Geezer. God Bless their families.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Garmin In reach was a compromise with my wife as I continue to do solo trips as I get older. Kinda like life alert (I’ve fallen and I can’t get up) for outdoorsmen. You can have it report your location at predetermined intervals and text off the grid.

I send my wife a text in the morning and night to say I’m still alive, and she can track my movement if she wants. Is nice for solo hunts and cross country flights in the cub. If you do use the SOS function, you can send info on what the emergency is.

Mostly I think my wife wants it so they can find a body and speed up the life insurance payment.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/outdoor-recreation/satellite-communicators/

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed comerade, being a dumb tourist around Grizzles isn't smart.

Whenever I hunt in their territory, my senses are Keen, and I am Armed.

Dying by Grizz has to be the worst way to go!

KB

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am always armed in bear country, except in national parks. I do carry bear spray in the park and when I have a rifle with me.
It is unfortunate that we can't carry a gun in the parks but, I don't see that ever changing regardless of who is in power.
At least bear spray is legal in the park.
I also carry bear spray when I'm wandering around certain areas on the prairie as we have a healthy population of cougars, 4 legged kind. At least we have a long hunting season for them, keeps them wary of people unlike Mr. Griz.
And, grizzlies have moved out of the foothills on to the prairie in the Milk River area as well as further north to the Sundre area. I think it is only a short matter of time and they will move into more grasslands from Montana. From what I understand, there are griz in the Sweetgrass Hills, a short hop from SE Alberta.
Lots of bears in Alberta.
It would nice if the gov would re-instate the grizzly hunt but......politics.
Jeff

Last edited by troutfly; 10/02/23. Reason: added content
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 257Bob
We made a last minute trip to Cody with our dog in November a couple of years ago, we decided to hike to the park entrance, about a mile from where we parked. There was pretty heavy snow and I figured bears would not be a problem then I came across bear tracks in the road. I felt like a totally defenseless fool for now having bear spray at a minimum. We've spent many summers in Alaska, Montana and Wyoming and I always carried a 10mm and spray, didn't think I would need any of that for this short trip, never again!

No worries, the dog will protect you! GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After getting a 50000.00 bill for the helicopter ride it must have come as a huge relief to discover she had signed herself up for auto renew on the emergency services contract.

Dixie is an interesting woman. If so inclined like and subscribe to her channel. She still owes 12000.00 for the hospital and air lift.

Please don't feed the trolls!
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Bears dont kill, they feed. Horrible way to go........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
troutfly;
Good evening my friend, I hope the weekend has been kind to you all and you're all doing well.

Thanks for the explanation on the Inreach, I appreciate you doing so.

My family keep on urging me to get something like that since I mostly hunt solo and as you can attest wouldn't qualify for a spring chicken anymore.

As 673 mentioned, there seems to be a whole lot of all varieties of bears about this season, so I'll echo his thoughts to be a wee bit extra careful out there this year.

All the best to you all troutfly, thanks again and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

There are a number of subscription based options. There are PLBs as well that aren't subscription based, but don't allow 2 way communications. Here in the USA, response agencies treat them the same once they are activated. PLBs are built to certain technical standards that the commercial based ones do not have to meet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paul;
Top of the morning to you sir, it's just breaking daylight here but I trust the day is behaving for you all down in the south east.

Thanks for the information, it's much appreciated.

If you'd care to comment, might there be a particular PLB that you've seen work better than others?

We're pretty much out of cell service on the mountain behind the house within 10km of home so it'd all be satellite for us.

The idea of not having yet another subscription to keep track of appeals to me on a bunch of levels.

Thanks in advance and all the best.

Dwayne

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I had 2 Grizzlies sneak downwind of me in more than 2ft of snow, I never would of known it had I not heard the woofing.
I have also walked by Black Bears sleeping under tree's in nests they have made, they just look at you lol, they will get up and move for whatever reason..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW re the InReach: I’ve had one for a dozen years or more, an older InReach I got before Garmin bought the system. It is simply the greatest advance in wilderness communication for civilians in my lifetime.

It is clumsy to type with, and mine does not sync to a phone, but it has worked from the Yukon to California, all over BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan, and the East Coast from New York down to South Carolina. It has worked under heavy tall Vancouver Island forest, in mountains, canyons, ocean, urban. On a trip to Sask one time I didn’t have a cell phone and used it in all my communications to set up appointments, arrange lodging, all the things I would have done with my cell phone.

I sometimes use it to mark a position on a map for later, by sending myself a text to my computer at home, which will show the exact spot from which the InReach message was sent.

I have never punched the emergency rescue button but all of my family like me to have that feature. I have used it for things like telling my son that I had changed our plan for base camp by two miles, so that he could find me when he backpacked up to join me. I also asked him to bring an item I’d forgotten. I texted my wife once that I was going to stay up in the mountains another day rather than come home, so that she would not call search and rescue. Without the InReach I would have come out because I knew that she would call S&R.

I don’t use the tracking, automatic messages, nothing but basic simple text that I compose at the time. I can ask my son to bring a 10mm wrench and a hose clamp rather than send him some canned message made up ahead of time. It will do a lot more.

Yep, I like it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I feel fairly secure with the Garmin tool handy. Still, I don't do anything stupider than I would without the unit. You are quite right, txting from the unit is a challenge, fortunately my unit does sync with my phone. FWIW, my phone keys are only slightly bigger than the Garmin. Real bonus is that I don't have to scroll through the keyboard on my phone. But, yep, the Garmin in worth it's weight in gold. I have the premium package and use most of the features, even here on the prairie with cell service available. I figure if I'm badly injured or have a problem with my diabetes, it will be faster to trigger an SOS than describe to 911 where I am.

I read an account of the incident yesterday by Parks Canada.
From the acct it appears the couple were experienced backcountry folks, hung thier food in a tree away from the tent etc, had bear spray although the acct was not sure if it had been deployed or not. Also not known was any part the dead dog may have played in the incident. A Garmin Inreach was used to trigger the SOS request.
When rescuers arrived on the scene they were met by an aggressive sow who was put down onsite. Examination showed a 25 plus year old sow with a less than ideal amount of winter fat built up. Her teeth were quite worn. So, it sounds like the folks did everything right, just ran into an old, likely starving bear. So, even doing everything right, or, as best as one can do sometimes just doesn't work out.
Be safe and aware out there,
Jeff

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The only thing he could have done more right would be to illegally carry a pistol under his coat. I've known people who have done that, but have not had to use them. One acquaintance was busted in Banff when his coat rode up and revealed his Ruger Blackhawk 44, while he was cleaning some fish and the park warden came by. A sympathetic Judge levied a minor fine and a stern lecture. The Warden was pissed. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is why I hate Canada.

God Bless America, with a 357 magnum for you and me lol

When you go fishing in Grizz Country in Canada, you can not protect yourself with a sidearm, what a pile of

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/04/23.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have posted this a few times, if you have not seen it, it's worth the watch.

A Survivor of a small Sow Grizz attack in Alberta

BRUTAL!!!

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/04/23.

KB

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Too bad about the hikers in the park. Bad way to die.

As per the InReach, I've had the yel.low Garmin SE version for 6 years. Used everywhere from the polar bear hunting in Nunavut, several hunts in the NWT, countless times in BC, Mexican border Coues deer hunting, even down to the Northern Territory of Australia . Great unit to let my wife know where I am and that I am OK. Gives her piece of mind, but also a means of communicating questions and answers both ways, etc. Never for an emergency yet

Our unit allows us to change plans up or down 12 times in a year...and we do. We go to bare a minimum basic plan unless I am going on a multi-day hunt out of cell coverage...which is much of BC. We increase the number of texts per day we need. And we only have to pay for the number of days in the month we have the more expensive plan for that month, going back to the basic plan when the hunt is over. Very happy with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul;
Top of the morning to you sir, it's just breaking daylight here but I trust the day is behaving for you all down in the south east.

If you'd care to comment, might there be a particular PLB that you've seen work better than others?

We're pretty much out of cell service on the mountain behind the house within 10km of home so it'd all be satellite for us.

The idea of not having yet another subscription to keep track of appeals to me on a bunch of levels.

Dwayne

Nope, they are all good Dwayne. ACR, McMurdo and a new one from Throw Raft. ACR has two models. One is very compact. It or the Throw Raft model will be next for me. I have a larger ACR RESQ Link + now that I like better more maritime applications. I'll be moving inland though, so a slightly more compact unit makes more sense. Take a look at battery life and whether the battery replacement can be done at the user level.

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So.....I see Bears are starting to get attention from the controlled media, looks like its going to be an election platform in BC,..... again.

Hunting Grizzlies was a huge platform during previous elections from the NDP, we have an election likely within the next 12 months. Polls say 87% of people want the Grizz hunt ban to remain, 77% want it made permanent through legislation, most of these people live on the lower mainland.

The indians can hunt them, but want the ban lifted, but why?..........so they can sell the hunts for the G/O they bought and or had handed over to them. Covid mandates starved many outfitters out and your a genius if you can figure out what happened next.

Remember, if you get beat up or killed by a Grizzly, its your fault.

Last edited by 673; 10/05/23.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't honestly have any real desire to hunt grizzly but I think it's a necessary tool for management. Val Geist said grizzlies need to be hunted just to keep them educated as to the danger of being around humans. He was usually right in such matters. As it is now, If I am threatened by a bear, I'll shoot it, and regulations won't change that. Game management in BC sux overall; the bear hunt controversy is just part of it. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only people that are at fault for being attacked by Grizz are Stupid Tourists that get close to them and pull a Timothy Treadwell, to get close photos or to feed them.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Here is the story on Scary Bear Attacks

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/05/23.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only thing he could have done more right would be to illegally carry a pistol under his coat. I've known people who have done that, but have not had to use them. One acquaintance was busted in Banff when his coat rode up and revealed his Ruger Blackhawk 44, while he was cleaning some fish and the park warden came by. A sympathetic Judge levied a minor fine and a stern lecture. The Warden was pissed. GD

It's legal to carry in the parks in the US, you just can't take them inside the buildings. I always carry in the parks but keep them concealed, people on the trials don't know the rules and it can be upsetting to them (not that I care, just not looking for trouble). Discharging said firearm in the park is a whole nother story, not legal but prefer an attempted defense and fine before judge than being eaten alive.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
This spring we bought an inReach mini from Costco for $350, prior to our planned remote cabin trip, which didn't come off afterall. More than 40 years going there , but now we are in our 70's, so it seemed time. I carried it solo moose hunting this year - still have to explore it more, but I knew how to operate the SOS button, at least, and still haven't found my eTrex. I think it might have fallen out of my fanny pack in my rocky man-cave 600 miles north of here, while caribou hunting in August. I'll find out next year....

Recently I saw Cabelas had the same inReach unit for $250, on sale.

One can buy subscriptions for a month at a time.

Un-hunted critters of all sorts can develop attitude, not just bears, especially with frequent contact with humans.

By the tracks in the frozen grass yesterday morning, I had a griz/brown bear cross my lawn in the early hours. The dogs told me about it while we were all still in bed. That makes 3 years running, this time of yea,r and I have yet to see it. Pretty sure it's not just once a year either!

Bearanoia is way over-rated, until it's not.

Last edited by las; 10/05/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Paul;

Dwayne

Nope, they are all good Dwayne. ACR, McMurdo and a new one from Throw Raft. ACR has two models. One is very compact. It or the Throw Raft model will be next for me. I have a larger ACR RESQ Link + now that I like better more maritime applications. I'll be moving inland though, so a slightly more compact unit makes more sense. Take a look at battery life and whether the battery replacement can be done at the user level.

I carry the ACR RESQlink+ but am seriously thinking of adding the Inreach for the two way comms. Here in the states the ACR unit sends a direct link to a military/gov. sat system that is supposed to be more reliable than the Iridium system but no way of comms. so when the wifey gets the phone call about the emergency signal to check if you are in the same area as the pinged signal, wifey has to wait for some time(hours/day or two?) until SAR have made contact with you and are able to communicate back to her whether she needs to start digging a hole or pick your sorry ass up at the hospital. The ACR unit has a long battery life (5 years?) but must be sent back to the factory for battery replacement. There is also a mandatory registration process that needs to be re-upped every couple of years so may be different than the Inreach.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sounds like plenty of different types of PLB/SAT units out there. Just depends on your requirements. I assume that the PLB's would be compatible here in Canada as our SAR assets are interoperable. Be worth confirming though before relying on it.

Ref being armed/not armed, I always carry a short carbine outside the parks when I'm in the bush. But, I also have spray, practice with both.
Not everyone has the opportunity or desire to be armed for a number of reasons in Canada. I do think our gun laws suck, if I could carry a handgun, I would.
Being able to carry a gun in a National Park here is unlikely to ever be allowed. Hell, I know of folks who believe we should not be allowed to carry bear spray even.
Most of them don't even venture outside the city, the rest well....sucks to be them if they ever run into a bear that is intent on not getting out of the way.
Jeff

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
On the topic of Grizzly pops....I was out Mule deer hunting with my Son for a few days, was skunked, but did notice an unusual amount of Bear sign in an area not known for much Bear activity, a poor black Bear area to be sure. I was wondering if it was Grizzlies, then my Son saw one walking across the hillside 300 yds below him.

I/we always took precautions with downed game, but another level is required now there is one or more Grizzlies in every area around here now.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Happened to run across this. Someone said Grizzly's don't kill, they eat. Listening to the Black bear cub, I'd say that's about right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 673
On the topic of Grizzly pops....I was out Mule deer hunting with my Son for a few days, was skunked, but did notice an unusual amount of Bear sign in an area not known for much Bear activity, a poor black Bear area to be sure. I was wondering if it was Grizzlies, then my Son saw one walking across the hillside 300 yds below him.

I/we always took precautions with downed game, but another level is required now there is one or more Grizzlies in every area around here now.

When I have killed animals in Grizz country, I get the animal cleaned on outta there ASAP and while I am skinning and quartering it, if I am bow hunting I have my shotgun at arms length always. If I am rifle hunting I have my rifle at arms length as well.

Leaving an animal overnight, isn't the best thing to do!

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/10/23.

KB

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A friend of mine shot a whitetail buck, at a range of about 75 yards. The grizzly got to that buck before he could, and took it away. Not an entirely unusual occurrence in these parts. Numerous times, guys have bugled in a grizzly. They have learned that bugling and gunfire might mean an easy meal. GD

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A friend of mine shot a whitetail buck, at a range of about 75 yards. The grizzly got to that buck before he could, and took it away. Not an entirely unusual occurrence in these parts. Numerous times, guys have bugled in a grizzly. They have learned that bugling and gunfire might mean an easy meal. GD
Yeah, my family in the EK says when they have an animal down, the flashlight reveals eyes in the area waiting for them to leave so they can move in.

As an aside.....I was hanging a treestand and had a Black Bear come running full speed to within 30ft of me and stop....I could see him through the brush looking at me lol, of course I had the rifle pointed at his face already, he wasn't very big maybe 150-200lbs...he was attracted to me breaking branches and stuff I guess, not sure wth...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
673;
Good morning my friend, I hope you're all getting some rain too?

Also of course I hope you and your fine family are well.

We're just down from a quick morning run looking for elk, whitetail or a mulie for my friend, finding none of the above but absolutely finding some easy access downed trees we'll go collect tomorrow. They're Spruce and Lodgepole which we don't mind both for starting fires and for early fall and late spring fires.

Where we were the mulie study folks picked up some grizzly photos on their trail cam this fall, but it didn't show for us today.

Black bears continue to be an issue for us down here, with one of the local 3 year old units attempting to muscle me out of a hanging mulie buck a week ago today. We exchanged harsh words and he finally left.

Then yesterday when my good wife was coming home, she phoned me to say he was sitting in front of the one garden, which she walks by to get into the house from the garage where she had to park.

Again harsh words and steel ball bearings were hurled and again it left.

It's going to end poorly for that one sooner than later 673, I can feel the neighborhood has lots whatever spirit of goodwill we had for it.

Good luck on your hunts this fall and here's to no more interference from the bloody bears.

Dwayne

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Dwayne,

Couple weekends ago at our hunt camp one of the guys was building a stand and had a black bear run right by him about 30 yards away. Wasn't going full blast and doesn't think it even saw him (hard to believe with him hammering and sawing), but it was definitely on a mission to get somewhere.

We don't bring guns up except when we're actually hunting. Usually its 2-3 guys working together so no worries, but this guy was on his own.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KillerBee
The only people that are at fault for being attacked by Grizz are Stupid Tourists that get close to them and pull a Timothy Treadwell, to get close photos or to feed them.

I’d agree in a general sense but there are plenty of cases where hunters have had bears move in on them either due to meat hanging or the gun shot effect (I have had griz issues involving both of those situations) but also rare predatory instances.

The bicyclist who was killed in Ovando MT a few years ago was one such very unfortunate incident. She wasn’t pulling a Treadwell nor feeding the bears.

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Its just Bears being Bears. Native people were killed and beat up by Bears all the time according to fur traders journals, but they still weren't afraid of them.
That is the connection to the land, Bears are a part of that, I think it quite common for Native people to think they will eat the animals and harvest all foods, but then in return they will eat you one day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
673;
Good afternoon once more, I still hope you're all well.

Thanks for the interesting take on it from a FN perspective.

While I'm not nearly as connected as you are of course, in any conversations I've had with FN folks on the subject, I'd suggest the majority shared your opinion.

As a "by the way" sort of a question for whenever we get a coffee together or next phone chat, do you know why the Okanagan FN folks didn't hunt bears?

Had a couple of friends who were from local bands but they didn't know why exactly it was they didn't. One was going to ask an elder and get back to me, but unfortunately he succumbed to an illness before we were able to have that chat.

Again this might be something you know, but I want to say that the Woods Cree folks from Saskatchewan ate bear as regularly as they could get it. Muskwa or maybe better phonetically spelled Maskwa is a Cree dialect for bear if I'm not again remembering wrong.

Personally I'm not exactly afraid of them, but more and more I'm wary shall I put it? Some of them don't really take "No" or "Bad Bear" or "You _____ ______" either for that matter to heart, even when delivered with volume and enthusiasm. grin

Best to you all once more sir.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I’d agree in a general sense but there are plenty of cases where hunters have had bears move in on them either due to meat hanging or the gun shot effect (I have had griz issues involving both of those situations) but also rare predatory instances.

The bicyclist who was killed in Ovando MT a few years ago was one such very unfortunate incident. She wasn’t pulling a Treadwell nor feeding the bears.

T Inman;
Good afternoon to you my cyber friend, it's been too long since I've said hello and it's my fervent hope you're feeling and doing well lately.

Again my grizzly experience is mostly second hand but my black bear experience is as recent as yesterday as mentioned.

A few years back I was lucky to correspond a fair bit with one of two BC sheep hunters who got jumped by a sow and cub in their tent. They were somewhere north of Canal Flats so the Kootenays.

Anyways as far as anyone could ascertain, they did absolutely nothing to provoke the attack other than being there chasing sheep.

There but for the grace of God go I for sure T - way too many times to count I'll add, as I've tented in grizzly country in BC, Alberta, Montana and Wyoming.

Like 673 says, "It's just bears being bears" sometimes and like other things in life, we have to play the card we've pulled don't we?

All the best to you sir and good hunting.

Dwayne

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
when we tented on our elk hunts in grizzly country we never unloaded our rifles , revolver was loaded and had a flash light handy too , but i had a lot of faith in a mule named Radar when we were up in the mountains he let us know if bears were close plus he always sniffed bear tracks when we went a cross the tracks Radar was one smart mule. i have very little faith in bear spray but if i have to shoot a bear i will spray bear once its dead just to make sure bear is dead .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pete53;
Good afternoon sir, I trust you're all well and getting decent weather today.

There were a trio of decent bear survival and bear attack books authored by the late James Gary Shelton who became a bear attack expert over the years of studying them.

He figured that spray worked about 80% of the time, but didn't put forth a theory as to exactly what happened in the 20% where it didn't.

When corresponding with one of the two sheep hunters who got attacked over east of us in the Kootenays, we both chuckled over how many experts in the BC media suggested bear spray would have saved them.

Our plan was to put some of the experts into a tent, have them give a mighty blast of OC Bear spray inside the tent and then video it.

Honestly I still giggle a wee bit thinking about that.....

Mules, the right dog and possibly the very occasional horse near the tent would be an asset I'd think.

A buddy in the Yukon had a Chocolate Lab/Staffordshire Terrier cross that was trained to pack and was a bear announcer par excellence as they say.

All the best and good hunting.

Dwayne

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Reminds me of a bit of excitement we had at our Black bear hunt a few weeks ago.

One guy shot a bear at the feeder. Found out later it was a low lung shot. Bear just laid there, then after a few minutes got up and staggered off. We left it settle for 1/2 hour, then myself and another guy joined the hunter. Neither of them had ever followed up a wounded animal before, so I set out the ground rules. Started at the barrel checking sign, then in a skirmish line about 15 yards apart.

Shooter saw the bear standing looking at us about 60 yards away. I had a shot so took it. It disappeared again. We walked up slowly and as I came over a rise, I saw the bear laying about 15 yards away. I hollered that I'd spotted it and it rolled over and started to get up! eek I made a quick shot to the head and it went down for good.

That kind of adrenaline rush I don't need!!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
673;

While I'm not nearly as connected as you are of course, in any conversations I've had with FN folks on the subject, I'd suggest the majority shared your opinion.

As a "by the way" sort of a question for whenever we get a coffee together or next phone chat, do you know why the Okanagan FN folks didn't hunt bears?

Had a couple of friends who were from local bands but they didn't know why exactly it was they didn't. One was going to ask an elder and get back to me, but unfortunately he succumbed to an illness before we were able to have that chat.

Again this might be something you know, but I want to say that the Woods Cree folks from Saskatchewan ate bear as regularly as they could get it. Muskwa or maybe better phonetically spelled Maskwa is a Cree dialect for bear if I'm not again remembering wrong.

Personally I'm not exactly afraid of them, but more and more I'm wary shall I put it? Some of them don't really take "No" or "Bad Bear" or "You _____ ______" either for that matter to heart, even when delivered with volume and enthusiasm. grin

Dwayne
A good friend of ours was, for a time, Chief of the Carrier band in the central interior. She told us they ate bear regularly but that pregnant women were cautioned not to eat bear paws. I don't recall what the consequences of that dietary item might have been. Residents of any area which contains bears, grizzly or black, should be able to accept that they are part of life. I do like it better when I am aware of them before they are aware of me. Here, in the EK, there are bears. They are a fact of life. I consider them as something to be aware of but nothing to obsess over. An occurrence, such as that in Banff, is a reminder that there is always some risk to wilderness activities. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
greydog;
Good afternoon sir, I trust you're getting a wee bit of moisture out there today too and that you're all well.

Thanks for the info on the Carrier FN folks, it's a topic that's always interested me.

For whatever it's worth, I worked with a few Vietnamese folks over the years and one of them specifically asked me for the paws from a bear. They made soup out of them and it was some sort of either medicinal or ceremonial significance, sorry I forget now which.

As usual I'm in agreement with your thoughts on bears and us and how we who live in the outlands interact with them.

All the best to you all and good hunting.

Dwayne

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dwayne,
By the simple act of cutting a bunch of firewood, then not getting it split and put under cover in a timely manner, I caused it to rain a bunch. Twice!
As I write this (at 2:45 am), I have just come in from hazing a small herd of elk out of the yard. The bull insists on bugling right under our bedroom window; making it hard to sleep. This is pretty well an annual thing. None of the bulls are of legal size, or he would be in the freezer.
This is life in the country. Although we are being overrun by people in the summer, and during season, we still have some wild. I wouldn't have it any other way. Regardless of the type of animal, our lives are enriched by their existence, even when they are an annoyance. Deer, elk, bears, wolves, cototes, cougars, and more, we have had them all in the yard at one time or another. I will admit, not all have survived the encounter, but not without cause. GD

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So.....an Elk bugles under your bedroom window and then you go outside looking for a fight?? lolol

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I agree.

I was talking about Tourists that stop and feed grizzlies on the side of the road and get out of their cars to take photos, I have witnessed that myself, that is what I call Timothy Treadwell stupid.

People who do not hunt or spend time in the bush, have no understanding of wildlife in general, to them they are all nice furry creatures. Same thing with people getting close to Buffalo and Bull Elk in parks or moose to get pictures and end up getting hurt. That is what I meant.

When I am in Grizz country I do everything I can to protect myself in case I meet up with one. The worst way to die, at least in IMO, is to be eaten alive by a grizzly!

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/12/23.

KB

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 673
So.....an Elk bugles under your bedroom window and then you go outside looking for a fight?? lolol
When the elk are n the field, 100 yards away, their bugling is not too annoying and serves to induce dreams of elk hunting (at least that is the effect on me). When they are right up beside the house though, it's a little intrusive! It's not nearly what it was though. Thirty years ago, we had at least 4x the elk we do today. This is the result of shameful mismanagement. So it is that we are growing an abundance of protected grizzlies, while eliminating as many of our ungulates as possible. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
673;

Dwayne

Good morning! Canada is truly a wonderful country with incredible natural resources but I find it frustrating that the folks in the eastern part of the country make all of the rule affecting those in the west, starting at say Manitoba. To suggest that residents living in or traveling in rural or wilderness areas don't have a right self defense simply contradicts everything part of my being, I simply can't understand such a concept. I was raised by my father and uncles (six of them) who were hunters and believed in self-reliance/defense. I would never consider venturing in grizz territory without a firearm for the same reason that I keep a fire extinguisher in my home.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
it's a national park. Firearms were not allowed in US national parks until recently. People living in rural areas, like I do, do have the right of self defense and defense of livestock. In the US, people are allowed to carry firearms in the parks, thanks to 2nd amendment rights. However, it is stated that people should not consider the gun as defense against animals!
Ultimately, if one feels the need to arm themselves for defense, that is up to them. If it is against the rules but saves your life, it may be considered a fair trade. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
it's a national park. Firearms were not allowed in US national parks until recently. People living in rural areas, like I do, do have the right of self defense and defense of livestock. In the US, people are allowed to carry firearms in the parks, thanks to 2nd amendment rights. However, it is stated that people should not consider the gun as defense against animals!
Ultimately, if one feels the need to arm themselves for defense, that is up to them. If it is against the rules but saves your life, it may be considered a fair trade. GD

Most of us average white boys in Alberta want to separate from Eastern Canada.

No Eastern Politician lovers here lol

KB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I agree.

I was talking about Tourists that stop and feed grizzlies on the side of the road and get out of their cars to take photos, I have witnessed that myself, that is what I call Timothy Treadwell stupid.

People who do not hunt or spend time in the bush, have no understanding of wildlife in general, to them they are all nice furry creatures. Same thing with people getting close to Buffalo and Bull Elk in parks or moose to get pictures and end up getting hurt. That is what I meant.

When I am in Grizz country I do everything I can to protect myself in case I meet up with one. The worst way to die, at least in IMO, is to be eaten alive by a grizzly!

Gotcha.
I read your initial post too fast, I guess. My apologies.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No worries man I poorly communicated my thoughts!

I really do believe that you are an exceptional member here, I enjoy reading about your exceptional adventures and admire your hunting skills!

KB

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Killer Bee, Don’t lump in all easterners as Liberals. You should instead place the blame for our national demise on the Laurentian Elites.

Most rural Ontarians are much like you western folk, we aren’t the problem.

Nick

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nick1899
Killer Bee, Don’t lump in all easterners as Liberals. You should instead place the blame for our national demise on the Laurentian Elites.

Nick

Agreed.

I actually grew up in Quebec and worked and lived in Toronto as well and have done a lot of bird hunting east of Ottawa with people who owned farms in Ontario, great people, and fun times.

I know Canada well across the board and I agree with your assessment.

I escaped from Quebec in 1987, best decision of my life!

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/12/23.

KB

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nick1899

Nick
Of course there are good people in the east, most westerners know this, but they also realize that in order to get rid of the elites to which you elude would require separation. I would also point out a Major pita in Quebec, and this idea for separation has been going on for 150 years.

Similar to westerners relationship with firearms, people in the east know FA about Grizzlies and the interaction here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
673;

Dwayne

Good morning! Canada is truly a wonderful country with incredible natural resources but I find it frustrating that the folks in the eastern part of the country make all of the rule affecting those in the west, starting at say Manitoba. To suggest that residents living in or traveling in rural or wilderness areas don't have a right self defense simply contradicts everything part of my being, I simply can't understand such a concept. I was raised by my father and uncles (six of them) who were hunters and believed in self-reliance/defense. I would never consider venturing in grizz territory without a firearm for the same reason that I keep a fire extinguisher in my home.

257Bob;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that this last day of the week has begun in proper fashion and you're getting seasonally appropriate weather in your part of Florida.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

As mentioned by greydog who lives many valleys and nearly 8 hours east of us, we are allowed self defense outside of national parks for the most part.

That said, the tools we're able to pull from the tool chest to do that are restricted by folks who have armed security teams and could not conceive in their wildest dreams being solo in the wild, much less facing down a bear in that place.

There was a time when geologists and some guides could apply for what I want to say were called "wilderness carry permits" for handguns, but for those of us unwashed and unimportant folks who just wanted to hike, hunt, pick mushrooms or watch woodpeckers peck, that wasn't granted.

The choices then are to either pack something like a short, light shotgun or carbine or ignore the law and carry something one hopes to never have to use. That's only if that person has jumped through the flaming hoops of handgun ownership up here too of course.

While there are many like me who have worked long and hard and spent time and money attempting to have more logical laws come into play, our current crop in federal power apparently could not give a flying fig if multiple back country users become statistics.

Anyways sir, it is what is for today and regardless of that, I do appreciate your post.

All the best and good hunting.

Dwayne

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I know very well one person who frequently carries a 357 Mag while in the backcountry, and has done so for many years. It's an option. Shooting a bear in the park would be a criminal offense in either country, but being alive to face prosecution would be a bonus. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know very well one person who frequently carries a 357 Mag while in the backcountry, and has done so for many years. It's an option. Shooting a bear in the park would be a criminal offense in either country, but being alive to face prosecution would be a bonus. GD

Touche!

I don't blame him a shotgun is cumbersome. I don't even go fly fishing in the Rockies or foothills without my defender strapped to my back. A handgun would be awesome!

I have killed many bears, if one so much as sneezes in my direction, it's putting its life at risk lol

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/13/23.

KB

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (160user, 12344mag, 2UP, 22kHornet, 44mc, 35, 16 invisible), 1,605 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,439
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.