Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Fury01
I carry long enough to use as a third balance point crossed fiberglass electric fence stays held together by castration bands. You might guess where my supplies come from…

They are long enough to use kneeling too over tall prairie grass.

Sitting against a tree Bush or post and good practiced technique yields very solid field positions for me. All rifle shooting uses the same base skill tools to shoot well.
I’ve done the same with the castrator bands. When a tent goes to shiit save the poles and with the stretchy cord you can make them multi length.

HR IC

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Deans
Those of you that shoot or have shot off shooting sticks, tripods, etc. How/what do you do to eliminate or bring wobble to a minimum?

Thanks

First thing is to try like hell to get prone, even if you have to move.

If standing, somehow get a trigger side elbow rest or you'll have to get a tripod attachment that can carry the hold the weight of the entire rifle then you can get in there....

If sitting, you can use sticks or a tall pod of some sort and then use your pack or a tree/bush for trigger side elbow support.

Lots of ways to get good field shooting positions which is THE most underpracticed issue in big game hunting.

I just got back from a hunt where the angle shooting up was so steep, I had to slide on my belly/pack about 20 yards downhill to a little nose to be able to get the muzzle pointed high enough. This was after piling almost all of my gear on top of my pack for rifle support. Being in moments like this in the field and not wasting time is critical....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Shoot some PRS matches.

You'll learn volumes about improvising and perfecting field postions.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Shoot some PRS matches.

You'll learn volumes about improvising and perfecting field postions.
Yup.

D
Deans Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks guys for the tips and suggestions. I spent a big part of the day on you tube also.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 35, 300jimmy, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,609 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,271
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.