Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Especially asking you old fogies, for your adventures/life/hunts in Alaska, what have you found to be the most important/indispensable piece of gear to have with you? What's your go-to, don't want to be without it/without one?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Me.

Calling the shots.

Hint………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. A sound mind is the most important tool, almost every time.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A sat phone....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 907brass
Especially asking you old fogies, for your adventures/life/hunts in Alaska, what have you found to be the most important/indispensable piece of gear to have with you? What's your go-to, don't want to be without it/without one?
For me, it’s determined by the activity, location, and duration.

No one size fits all, IMO.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
10x10 Arctic Oven tent.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A small drybag with some TP and wet wipes. Saved my ass on many occasions!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
slogan outdoors sling

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Good boots. The rest of everything else falls in.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
My cylinder stove seems to be my everything. I even put a life preserver on it, so if I break through the ice or swamp a boat, it might stay afloat.

Inside it, a nesting stove pipe, damper, the legs and right full of wood and birch bark.

I have two sleeping bags, a 0 degree and a 30 below. They look identical. During a dog mushing trip I fked up and packed the 0 degree in middle of February.

Decided to lay it out on the trail and try sleeping it, in front of my dog team. Figured I'd be okay as I climbed inside bag still in bibs and parka Was too tired to set up a camp. Shivered all fkn night, it was colder than 40 below. Even the malamutes were shivering, on top of straw!

Woke up to the morning howl, and was so cold I felt DRUNK. I couldn't do anything, with any sort of dexterity. The snow was so deep, i couldnt gather or even find any wood. Couldnt even get snowshoes on my feet. Between the shivering and sloppiness, I set that stove up and huddled around it with a tarp Got it roring and set a pot atop filled with snow. was able to drink hot water few minutes later and gather wood.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That’s a pretty scary story if you understand the dynamics of hypothermia. Losing dexterity and feeling drunk is getting close to the hypothermia line that none of us want to cross. I’m glad that you had your faithful stove and the presence of mind to get it going. 👍🏼

I enjoy reading the stories of the interior mushing adventures but I have no illusions about my abilities in that environment, surviving in -30 or -40 is a skill set that doesn’t allow much (if any) room for error. Ever since as far back as I can remember I’ve wanted to live in Alaska but during that half century of dreaming I never wanted to live in the interior since I didn’t possess the necessary skills…. I knew I was cut out for the saltwater of Southeast. The more time I spend all over this amazing state the more I’m glad that I had the forethought to know my limitations. I sure do love the incredible beauty of the interior though and I do enjoy visiting it for a week or two here and there. My wife and I are thinking about heading to Fairbanks this February for a midwinter getaway. My wife would like to do a dogsled type trip and maybe see the Aurora again if we’re lucky.

I’ve got a deep respect for those of you that live in that country and with the amount of outdoor activities that you can do in the winter it sure sounds inviting…..

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
That’s a pretty scary story if you understand the dynamics of hypothermia. Losing dexterity and feeling drunk is getting close to the hypothermia line that none of us want to cross. I’m glad that you had your faithful stove and the presence of mind to get it going. 👍🏼

I enjoy reading the stories of the interior mushing adventures but I have no illusions about my abilities in that environment, surviving in -30 or -40 is a skill set that doesn’t allow much (if any) room for error. Ever since as far back as I can remember I’ve wanted to live in Alaska but during that half century of dreaming I never wanted to live in the interior since I didn’t possess the necessary skills…. I knew I was cut out for the saltwater of Southeast. The more time I spend all over this amazing state the more I’m glad that I had the forethought to know my limitations. I sure do love the incredible beauty of the interior though and I do enjoy visiting it for a week or two here and there. My wife and I are thinking about heading to Fairbanks this February for a midwinter getaway. My wife would like to do a dogsled type trip and maybe see the Aurora again if we’re lucky.

I’ve got a deep respect for those of you that live in that country and with the amount of outdoor activities that you can do in the winter it sure sounds inviting…..

YAWN….you’re such a sissy la la. I bet you squeal when your wife pegs you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Propane torch

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
3200 yard rangefinder/binos, ya gotta know 100% how far the critter youse tryin to kill is, no guessing allowed

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
For me, it’s determined by the activity, location, and duration.

No one size fits all, IMO.

^^THIS^^

Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

^^BUT DEFINITELY THIS^^

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Easily my boat.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I gotta agree with this, in my years up in the northwestern Boroughs, it just made sense to me to stay out of trouble...rather than getting in trouble and trying to get out of it. So I adjusted my 'adventures' to my skills, or lack thereof.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I gotta agree with this, in my years up in the northwestern Boroughs, it just made sense to me to stay out of trouble...rather than getting in trouble and trying to get out of it.........

Yup. It tops the Survival Rules of Three:

- You can live 3 seconds without thinking (ie, one bad decision can kill you in seconds)
- You can live 3 minutes without air
- You can live 3 hours without shelter (yeah, I love my tents, especially my Arctic Ovens)
- You can live 3 days without water
- You can live 3 weeks without food
- You can live 3 months without hope

Originally Posted by AcesNeights
.........I never wanted to live in the interior since I didn’t possess the necessary skills....…..

When temps are expected to be well below zero, I just don't go anymore. It just ain't fun. It's serious work just to stay alive. I catagorize that attitude as Rule #1 above. I can pick my adventures and schedule.

NRA Life Endowment Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I gotta agree with this, in my years up in the northwestern Boroughs, it just made sense to me to stay out of trouble...rather than getting in trouble and trying to get out of it. So I adjusted my 'adventures' to my skills, or lack thereof.

The best way to not get lost, is to stay found.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Warm dry boots and good socks and a stout loaded handgun.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,932
Posts18,518,954
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.