Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Im a believer in if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Ive got a Mathews DXT from 2009 I think. Love this bow. Always shoots great. I bought a Mathews VXR28 a couple of years ago and just finally shooting good with it. Im still not a fan of dual limb design bows. Too wide and heavy. Im also thinking that all limbs eventually loose some temper and with 4 limbs now the chances are doubled. Maybe Im wrong but it seems one weak limb will cause the cables to slip off the cam.
I also have some trad bows that I carry for fun hunts. A Big Jims Thunderchild TD gets the most usage with a PSE Blackhawk, a 1968 Bear Grizzly and 1970ish Bearcat in rotation.
The Mathews VXR28 is in my avatar pic.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
GB1

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Currently shooting a Hoyt Nitrum but thinking about getting something new this year. Really considering a Mathews.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I like hoyt

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ridge250
I like hoyt

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Damn nice.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Brackenbury take down 59 pound recurve.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Over the past 43 years, too many to count.
Last vertical bow was a 42# Great Plains recurve

But, alas, rotator cuff surgeries on both shoulders, wrist surgery and the onset of RA have forced me to the dark side - an Excalibur.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure like my Hoyt VTM 34. 600 gr arrow shooting 200 gr 2 blade single bevel.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Todd

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some really great bulls guys, congrats!

Nothing like hunting for elk with a bow, that's hunting in its purest form if you ask me, so much fun, especially in the USA. cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 01/28/24.

KB

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
2012 Bowtech Assassin .

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Over the past 43 years, too many to count.
Last vertical bow was a 42# Great Plains recurve

But, alas, rotator cuff surgeries on both shoulders, wrist surgery and the onset of RA have forced me to the dark side - an Excalibur.

RA sucks azz. Ive had to drop #. Bones still good and meds reduced pain a bunch, but stuff just aint right.....is weaker.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
70 years on the planet sure ain't helping here either. Time to drop my draw weight if I want to keep my shoulder intact according to the doc.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Lot of great options out there & what fits me may not fit you & your needs best. I stand 6' 2" & have a 30" draw length. I have purchased a lot of bows over the years More Hoyts than anything else. In 2017 I purchased a used Carbon Defiant 34. I really liked it. In 2018 I came across another good deal on a 2nd CD34 so I purchased that as a primary bow & I keep my 1st CD34 as a back up. My desire to try something new has been quenched with the CD34. Something about it just fits me.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I do subscribe to the "buy a used bow and get a much better deal/bow for the money" but something else to consider:

I have a Prime Centurgy Hybrid from 2018ish (?) and I bought it new. BUT with Prime bows you get new strings every two years for free. So if you take into account what that cost it can play a factor on "how much a new bow actually costs." Also, I have been very happy with my Prime and would absolutely buy their bows again.

That being said, If you strictly take into account the sticker price of the new bows then my picks for the best bow for the money would be the HOYT Torrex, or any of the BEAR archery compounds

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by tzone
What do you shoot and how do you like it? Are you keeping it or looking for something different?

Looking to get a new bow this winter or early spring. I have a 20 year old Matthews Outback. Nothing wrong with it but it's time for something newer.

I'm not even sure what to look for anymore. My wife and kids all have much newer and cheaper equipment than mine and it's faster and quieter than what I have.

Deer hunting in the Midwest will be what it's used for 80% of the time. I'd love to start bowhunting is South Dakota some. My shots would not be more than 50 yards, probably ever and will be more like 25 and under around home.

Not looking for the fastest bow in town. I like to shoot heavy arrow with heavy broadheads. But they're all faster than what I have now.

I'm open to pretty much anything but have looked at Mathews Image, Matthews Phase 4, Bear Adapt and Bear Legend XR. That shop also sells Prime.

I am in the same boat sort of. I have two bows, one being a Diamond Ice Man which is nice and compact. My other bow is a Bow Tech Captain, which is a great stand-hunting bow. It is quiet and fast, I have taken deer with both. I have looked into the new Bow Tech bows and they look great. I chose to search eBay for used or last year's models, sometimes they offer a complete bow already set up with good equipment at 20-30% off retail! You need to look through the list.

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 02/09/24.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My son gave me his Mathews VXR that was 3 years old and I replaced my Mathews Monster “Chill” with that bow. It is a nice bow, but with the latest that Mathews has to offer, I tried the newest Mathews bow the “Lift.”

After shooting it and feeling how hard it was to pull, compared to my VXR, I put it back on the shelf. Mathews is probably the most innovative bow manufacturer, but this bow isn’t worth considering. I suspect there are people out there that will buy the bow, it is dead in the hand when shot, but getting it pulled to shoot it isn’t worth the price or improvement…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
An Elite Ritual. Its treated me well. Time for something new here soon.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Just got a 2024 Hoyt Torrex as backup to my Blackwidow recurve.

A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
1970 Bear Kodiak magnum.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,821 guests, and 1,464 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,752
Posts18,476,274
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.