Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I wanted to update on a Springfield 2020 I swapped into a month or so ago.
As you can see It's not a "Target" rifle. I free floated the barrel and it got better but not great.

I shot the target upside down to make it easier for my records, 5 targets in a row across the top. CCI Standard all the same lot.

First target was with a stainless muzzle break, second was with a bloop tube, third was with the factory thread protector. Not very impressive.

Then I spun on a Harrels Tuner Brake and shot while making BIG adjustments to get in the neighborhood for later finer adjustments.

When Making the finer adjustments, one number on the dial, I was impressed with how much the group moved and how much the group shape changed. I re-shot settings 50 and 150 on that target. It's currently set is 38 after shooting the finer settings a bit.

I wanted to test a tuner but I'm cheap and the Tuner Brake is $50 cheaper than the "22" tuner.

I also tested the tuner on my TALO 10-22 which isn't free floated and group size and shape stayed the same and is actually better with a bare barrel.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the test report. Is this the Harrel's tuner brake that you used? Harrells Precision Radial Ported Tuner Brake

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I used their Tactical Tuner Brake with two ports milled through the brake. The radial ported would very likely perform the same function with different cosmetics.

I wanted one that threaded on and would be easy to cut the brake off later if desired. It's also cheaper than other tuners without a brake..
I'd need to re-tune if I cut the ports off of course.
After shooting a bit I realized, adjusting from 0 to 50 is a Huge jump.
Adjusting one number, from 0 to 1 or 35 to 36 makes a difference so I still have work to do.

Mine clocked correctly with ports left and right and the scale marked on the top of the tuner is on top of the rifle so I left it as is.

P.S. To be clear, the numbers written above my groups are "tuner setting numbers", not group size numbers.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have (2) of the Harrell tuners that are the plain nonported type.
On one, I added 3oz of weight (Harrell weight system).
This is the best target I have seen out of the 2020.I think the rifle looks good, but as the range reports started coming in, it put a damper on it for me.
Yours looks like it has some potential.
Keep us posted

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I saw my first 2020 in my LGS yesterday. IMHO it is heavy and has a chunky feel. I much prefer the feel the Ruger 77/22 and mine shoots better than that.

Last edited by Switch; 10/21/23.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ammo is wrong

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Buzzaw
ammo is wrong

Not diagreeing with you, but you gotta use what you can find. If, for example, my CZ 452 shoots Lapua CenterX superbly, but I can't get any, how is it any better than more easily found XXXXX? I haven't found any more CenterX since that one time I was able to source some at Whittaker's. I seldom buy high cost rimfire anyway, but while that CZ will shoot .25" @50 yards with it, it's no good if I can't get any more, of that lot. I have to "settle" for what I can find, and the OP is probably in the same boat.

I DO enjoy shooting rimfires, but reliably sourcing ammo for them is a PITA.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 10/24/23.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I have an old Glenfield 25 that'll whip the pants off that springfield.

C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I stripped the rifle down to a barreled action and cleaned it.
The barrel is pressed in, not threaded.
I had the tuner off so I thought I'd post a picture of the ammo I tested today. Rifle is bare, as is comes from the factory.

50 yds as usual Bushnell Elite 6-24 set at 24. 50yd parallax.
I ran a patch through between each of the different ammo.

From top to bottom on Left:

CCI Standard Velocity, 3 groups of 5 because I wanted a larger sample for this ammo.
Eley Practice
Eley Standard
Eley 10X
Norma Match
Federal AutoMatch

On the Right CCI Blazer 36gr and below Right, Winchester 555... Maybe it's the ammo but I don't think so..

It'll meet the 3 shots in 1" claim but now you know what that claim means!

I found some good setting with the tuner but I couldn't duplicate the results, very similar to the bare rifle results. One group is OK, the next stinks.

I may have to put on a 4x Simmons rimfire scope and donate it to 4H, maybe they can use it..

Isak Dinesen

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
this really sucks for those rifles. or I should say all the reports for those rifles is not been real positive for accuracy which really sucks. they look pretty good and look like they have some great potential but they're just not delivering from everything I've seen hopefully somebody can figure out a different ammo than we expect that will make them shoot better.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by Buzzaw
ammo is wrong

Not diagreeing with you, but you gotta use what you can find. If, for example, my CZ 452 shoots Lapua CenterX superbly, but I can't get any, how is it any better than more easily found XXXXX? I haven't found any more CenterX since that one time I was able to source some at Whittaker's. I seldom buy high cost rimfire anyway, but while that CZ will shoot .25" @50 yards with it, it's no good if I can't get any more, of that lot. I have to "settle" for what I can find, and the OP is probably in the same boat.

I DO enjoy shooting rimfires, but reliably sourcing ammo for them is a PITA.

Agree. We are all in the same large boat.

My Tikka T1X is picky, prefers Lapua, but I'm down to a few boxes, half a brick.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is timely, sorry Springfield.

I'm short a .22 bolt action it seems. A 2020 had been in the running, but now it's down to a T1X or a CA Ranger. The brain says T1X, but I feel like I have that configuration sort of covered with a 77/22. The CA Ranger is something I don't have anything close to, and the Ruger magazine is a bonus.

Thoughts?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

I really enjoy my CA Ranger

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I pulled four bullets from their cases and slugged the barrel on this Springfield.

From the muzzle end, the bullet starts firmly (engraving) but slides down the bore to a snug area right in front of the chamber.

From the breech end, the bullet starts firmly but then slides down the barrel and out with minimal resistance. Not conducive to accuracy or repeatability.

I have a barrel ordered to see if I can make this thing shoot.

Selling it or giving it away would be passing the problem off to someone else.

I'll have my fun and not stick someone else with a turd.

Shoot Straight!

Isak Dinesen

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are the details on the new barrel?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is the barrel threaded into the receiver or attached some other way like a 10/22 or CZ 457?

From the description it sounds a lot like the Ruger revolver barrel constriction where the barrels are torqued in so tightly the barrel is actually constricted one or two thousandths under the frame. I can think of a couple of reasons that might not happen with a .22 rifle but I guess anything is possible.

If it's not threaded and/or they just use bad barrels, then never mind...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
The barrel I ordered a Beyer bull barrel for a 10-22, 16.25" long 1-16 twist.

I'm not afraid to do a little blue collar engineering to make it work. laugh

The old rifle barrel is pressed into the receiver so I'll cut the old barrel off in front of the receiver and drill and thread to 5/8x18.

The Beyer barrel is an aluminum sleeve over a steel bore so I'll turn the shank to 5/8" x 1-1/4" long shank and thread to 5/8x18.

I'll turn the breech of the barrel for extractor clearance and check headspace of course.

If I have to adapt to overcome I'll let you know...

Who knows, it may actually turn out to be a rifle I enjoy instead of a turd in the back of the gunsafe.

Hey JiminIdaho, Yes the barrel being pressed into the receiver and being constricted will surely size the bullets down so they rattle down the length of the bore.

I'll play with fire-lapping this afternoon as the barrel is a couple days out and I'm not going to hurt it at this point... sick

Last edited by colodog; 10/27/23. Reason: add comment

Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmm. Now that's interesting since a tight press fit is definitely a way to constrict a barrel. That, plus the fact that every single reviewer reports mediocre to poor accuracy lends credence to the idea that it's endemic to the design and not that they send out rifles with 100% bad barrels. I've looked at several youtube reviews and at least one guy put a new trigger and barrel tuner on his to no avail, but no one that I've seen actually slugged the bore.

Shame that Springfield would put all that thought into what is otherwise a very good design - 700 compatible trigger, 10/22 magazine and such - and then ruin it with the way the barrels are attached.

Do keep us informed on how the fire lapping works, this could be very enlightening.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is soooooo fhuqking HILARIOUS and upon soooooo many levels! It's like April 1 was born again! Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for doing your best.

As an aside,THE most accurate spouts on The Planet,wear muzzle constriction/choke. Hint.

Dangle a picture,for even more Oblivious Humor. DARE you. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
colodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Stick, yes muzzle constriction is an advantage but we're talking about constriction at the breech end.

Reading skills, Laughing!

Comprehension Not!

Communication skills... laugh

Isn't it time for 2-3 pages of photos of your centerfire rifles that have nothin to add to the conversation? sick

Isak Dinesen

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1badf350, 257 roberts, 16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,887
Posts18,497,893
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.