Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I think most camo is entirely too dark and too busy and is made to appeal to the buyer.

Precisely

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
No surprise that rifle hunters laugh and joke about the need for camo. I'd much rather hear from Archers on this issue. I really don't much care what rifle hunters think about camo

I don't bow hunt much anymore, but believe I have killed 3 elk and a moose with a bow, all sans camo. I think I was wearing camo for the few deer I have archery killed, IIRC.

Small sample, but I was given no indication that my normal plaid shirt/blue jeans wardrobe wasn't as adequate for archery ranges as it is for rifle ranges.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Sometimes wearing one pattern on the upper body and another for pants can help.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Sometimes wearing one pattern on the upper body and another for pants can help.
I believe that

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have killed several deer at single digit yardage with my bow while wearing plaid shirts and whatever pants.

Most places I hunt the normal MossyOak or whatever type camo is much darker than the surrounding terrain. So like the OP indicates, you look like a dark object. Possibly drawing more attention to you than other non camo garment would.

The only common pattern I’ve ever found that I thought worked well for my area was the old Predator in gray, brown, black. I wore all I had out and haven’t found any replacements.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The asat camo is fairly light. works well for me. been using it exclusively for 10 years.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Funny semi related side story.

Was on a brown bear hunt with a guy and he about had a stroke when he saw me dressed in a plaid wool shirt and Carhartt pants. “Where’s your camo!?”, he asked. “Don’t need any, I’m fine”, I replied. “But the bears will see you, their vision, blah blah”.

“How many bears have you killed?”, I asked. “Uh, none”.

“Okay cool. Would you like to see the picture of the one I shot while I had on the yellow shirt? How about the one when I was wearing the gray and black plaid shirt? Or the one I shot last spring while I was wearing a red and black plaid shirt? Or there was the couple I shot when I wore my gray jacket, how about those?”

Cricket sounds followed.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Originally Posted by shrapnel
This is a picture of my 2 sons in a pine forest with Kuiu camo. If you don’t believe it works, you are blind…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
What are you trying to say
Those boys stand out like dogs balls

Considering they're standing with zero cover it isn't too bad. I, however, don't like that pattern and think it's too dark overall.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
Funny semi related side story.

Was on a brown bear hunt with a guy and he about had a stroke when he saw me dressed in a plaid wool shirt and Carhartt pants. “Where’s your camo!?”, he asked. “Don’t need any, I’m fine”, I replied. “But the bears will see you, their vision, blah blah”.

“How many bears have you killed?”, I asked. “Uh, none”.

“Okay cool. Would you like to see the picture of the one I shot while I had on the yellow shirt? How about the one when I was wearing the gray and black plaid shirt? Or the one I shot last spring while I was wearing a red and black plaid shirt? Or there was the couple I shot when I wore my gray jacket, how about those?”

Cricket sounds followed.

Too much money and too many hunting shows for that feller.

I was partial to chartreuse until I couldn't get the salmon stank out of it. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That is a great bear. I’m jealous every time I see it, I never killed any big ones.

Think of how much better a bear you’d have gotten with a skookum camo ensemble.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Awesome pic Scott! I concur with you and Kid......not much of a camo guy here.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
When I don a camo item I don't think it's going to make me one with the surroundings, it just happens to be camo and fits the comfort bill at the time.

Same.

No way I'm donning a uniform. Some guys are better accessorized with matching ensembles than a red-carpet event for a movie premier.
Staying still and/or being mindful of light/shadows, skyline (and of course - wind) is key – heck of a lot cheaper and no need to sweat the carpeting not matching the drapes.

Word...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get a kick out of the Kuiu/Sitka warriors in the airports. AKA the 'onesies" or whatever you want to refer to them as. Those completely decked out in matching Kuiu or Sitka gear and look like designer models. I see them constantly this time of year in airports.

Some pretty serious backcountry hunters I know wear all that stuff and swear by it, but I also know a lot of road hunters that do too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You’re all a bunch of rookies! You are not dressed for hunting success unless your heels are camo’d too

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Moot point up here, once rifle season starts, anybody in the woods, must wear a minimum of 400sq inches of hunter orange on their upper body + complete head covering in hunter orange, also.

Still kill stuff, it's about the wind, scent & movement !

Same where we hunt in our spots in Nebraska. More deer killed without camo than with.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
You’re all a bunch of rookies! You are not dressed for hunting success unless your heels are camo’d too

🦫

My high heels are ASAT. Luv them, for ‘work’ and play.

They ROCK for chasing cock around.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I get a kick out of the Kuiu/Sitka warriors in the airports. AKA the 'onesies" or whatever you want to refer to them as. Those completely decked out in matching Kuiu or Sitka gear and look like designer models. I see them constantly this time of year in airports.

Some pretty serious backcountry hunters I know wear all that stuff and swear by it, but I also know a lot of road hunters that do too.

I never wear camo unless I'm hunting, for a number of reasons but mostly as I don't want my clothes to smell like an airport. I really don't understand what they are thinking unless they are severely limited in their checked luggage. I had a flight out of Anchorage at midnight, thought the airport would be empty, so happy at the prospect. Got there and there was an army of people, many with guns and camo!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't mind the camo, in a world where I'm planted behind a PC for hours, spending money on the few things I enjoy, like hunting and building DIY rifles, entertains me so who gives a F.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Awesome pic Scott! I concur with you and Kid......not much of a camo guy here.

I've been places where that brown shirt may have got you shot. Any orange on?

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
J.G.Raider, Is wearing the most effective Camo for West Texas. I'm a big fan of Carhart Bibs and Jackets, for hunting Warm and Comfortable, wear what works for you. Rio7

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 240NMC, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 21, 27 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,086
Posts18,501,732
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.