Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Can’t see the benefit. Wax removes oxidized paint through heat and abrasives, then you wipe it off. Unless it helps blend in what you don’t wipe off? 😆

That isn't how wax works. You may be thinking of a polish or cutting compound. Straight wax goes on and, after buffing, a thin film is left behind, protecting the paint and making it look shiny.

FWIW I have used a tinted wax, which had the effect of minimising the "bush pinstriping" on the vehicle. It did work, though the effect was of course only temporary. It has been a while though.

Wrong, wax may leave a protective coating but it polishes the same way as buffing compound. The abrasives just aren’t as coarse. Polishing compounds also leave a coating, they just may not have any UV protection

No, it is you who is wrong. If it contains abrasive it is a polish, or a cutting compound. Straight wax (carnauba or synthetic) doesn't contain abrasive. It bonds to the paint and protects it, leaving a thin protective layer.

That’s why when you wax a single stage paint the color color comes off on your rag? Whatever, I’ve never done this before. 😆

You win. I’m out

When I wax the car the paint colour is not coming off on the rag, because it is a wax, not a polish.

The same applies when I wax things other than cars. I wax firearms, for example, and neither the bluing nor the stock finish comes off on the rag. That is because I'm using wax, which is not abrasive.

If you are seeing paint coming off on the rag what you are using is a polish, not straight wax. Either that or your rag has picked up some grit.

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The fugg is auot wax?

It's poor spelling and not checking my words and being in a hurry. Maybe a few other things but it's time for supper.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Protecting the paint

Taking a little paint off

Semantics really

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried to leave…. A little anyways

When you wax a car, 99 percent of the time paint is coming off, or rather clear coat these days. You can’t see it because it’s clear coat….

I said single stage, it doesn’t have clear coat, get it?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Carnauba wax - highest concentration I can find.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Protecting the paint

Semantics really

Not really. Two different modes of action. Straight wax bonds to and protects the paint, but contains no abrasive. As a result it doesn't remove paint, whether clear coat or colour coat. It can fill and conceal fine scratches, but it doesn't remove them.

Polish and cutting compound contain abrasive, so they do remove a certain amount of material, and can be used to remove fine scratches by that mechanism.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The fugg is auot wax?

Jeez, it's what everyone uses to shine up their auots.

Sheesh!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The fugg is auot wax?

Apparently, his auot-correct wasn't working.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Protecting the paint

Semantics really

Not really. Two different modes of action. Straight wax bonds to and protects the paint, but contains no abrasive. As a result it doesn't remove paint, whether clear coat or colour coat. It can fill and conceal fine scratches, but it doesn't remove them.

Polish and cutting compound contain abrasive, so they do remove a certain amount of material, and can be used to remove fine scratches by that mechanism.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,585
Posts18,511,067
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.