Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
My former boss, who was also a very good friend of mine, died of the crap. He went undiagnosed for almost a week. Doctors thought he had a routine virus. He got the rash late, as it was shut his organs down.
Damn!
I feel so lucky that my Dr. figured it out right away.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Tick illnesses are tricky to diagnose and treat. Symptoms rise and fall (often imitating other diseases), as do test results.
A lot of MD's aren't familiar with them. Glad your doc caught this one early and pounded it with Doxy... one of the only effective treatments when caught early. Things like Lyme when they progress seldom get turned back.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
My former boss, who was also a very good friend of mine, died of the crap. He went undiagnosed for almost a week. Doctors thought he had a routine virus. He got the rash late, as it was shut his organs down.
Damn!
I feel so lucky that my Dr. figured it out right away.

Absolutely! I’m glad he figured it out as well. I wish my fellow Tarheel the best in recovering from this crap

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are the first person i ever heard of being so diagnosed although I recall hearing that common tics carried that while deer ticks carried lyme.....
I thought doxycycline was a veterinary med??

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's carried by a number of tick species, like the dog tick, wood tick, and others.

There are lots of meds used on both animals and people. The ones used on humans are much more heavily tested...other than covid. Ivermectin for humans has to be prescribed while it's over the counter for animals. I use it routinely for a wormer on animals and I buy it at farm stores or online.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Instead of spending billions on labs to come up with shìt like Wuhan, the government ought to build a few billion dollar labs to come up with a virus or two that wipes out ticks, chiggers and mosquitos.

Would be a worthy investment.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by auk1124
Instead of spending billions on labs to come up with shìt like Wuhan, the government ought to build a few billion dollar labs to come up with a virus or two that wipes out ticks, chiggers and mosquitos.

Would be a worthy investment.
Except that it would starve billions of birds and bats.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I didn't realize that RMSF was still a thing. Good to know.

Get well soon, Trigger.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jstocks
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I hope the treatment works quickly for you. A friend and coworker had RMSF years ago and it took him out of service for months. When he got back to work, he'd lost so much weight I didn't recognize him at first. Almost killed him.

Same for me. I thought for a minute it was gonna get me. I was a healthy young fella at the time in my early 20’s.

My dad is actually dealing with it now. He was losing his eyesight and they couldn’t figure out the infection.. RMSF finally diagnosed.

Crazy thing is…. My cousin pretty much lost his eyesight from it as well.he had a harder time contributed by his diabetes.
Buddy of mine got tick bit in NC and shrugged it off as having the flu. Lost the left eye and came near to it on the right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck! Get well soon! That's what I like about the Rocky Mountains! Almost zero ticks and no chiggers!

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I hope the treatment works quickly for you. A friend and coworker had RMSF years ago and it took him out of service for months. When he got back to work, he'd lost so much weight I didn't recognize him at first. Almost killed him.

I got a bad tick one time (out of thousands) and I knew the next day it was different, the arm it was attached to ached and I had the "bullseye" thing. Drove straight to the medi-quick and nurse practitioner said it doesn't matter what it is, it ain't good but the good news is that the treatment is the same for all of it. Seven days of antibiotics and gtg.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
You are the first person i ever heard of being so diagnosed although I recall hearing that common tics carried that while deer ticks carried lyme.....
I don't know about that, but I took doxycycline in the mid-80's to get rid of acne.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I just came off a ten day regimen of Doxy for a severe sinus infection.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
That one required some research on my part. Get well soon.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Got it a little over 30 years ago, treatment then was, if I remember correctly, tetracycline. As a forester and the son of a forester, I had been warned about it. Told my wife if I ever started showing symptoms to suggest it to the doctor if I was unable to do so. I knew one guy who nearly died before getting diagnosed.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by slumlord
One thing the slumlord does is take a goddamm shower asap after being in the woods AND rub all legs, and arms, crotch with 91% alcohol

I don’t head to the Napa and whittle on a bar stool for 8 hours after going turkey hunting.

That treatment would be a fine recommendation for some of the bars I was in at a prime age..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I don't know about that, but I took doxycycline in the mid-80's to get rid of acne.

Dogs hardly ever have acne. I think. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,572
Posts18,491,887
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.