Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just this week, after finally going to the Dr. after having severe night sweats and feeling like crap the past couple of weeks.
I remember wiping a couple of ticks off me a few weeks ago after leaving the farm, but never pulled one off of me that was attached.
Treatment with a course of doxycycline.

Careful out there, gentlemen.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Pulling, and Praying for you.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I pulled one off a couple of weeks ago just as it pricked me. Get well.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There's only 1 good thing about it - you can't get it again.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The interesting thing is that the very first question my Dr. asked me was if I had been bitten by a tick. I said, not that I knew of but I had wiped a couple off me. They drew 10 vials of blood (literally, 10) and checked me for everything including Lyme disease and other things I didn't want to think about, such as lymphoma. I was shocked, but very relieved when it came back positive for RMSF.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
That's good to know, because I don't want it again, that's for sure!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Just this week, after finally going to the Dr. after having severe night sweats and feeling like crap the past couple of weeks.
I remember wiping a couple of ticks off me a few weeks ago after leaving the farm, but never pulled one off of me that was attached.
Treatment with a course of doxycycline.

Careful out there, gentlemen.
Get well soon.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Damn. I had to look that one up. Get better soon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hope the treatment works quickly for you. A friend and coworker had RMSF years ago and it took him out of service for months. When he got back to work, he'd lost so much weight I didn't recognize him at first. Almost killed him.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get well soon!

KB

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you have a rash?
One of my buds got it, had a nasty rash on his arms.
Hope you get over it quick.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
yea cause you be dead lol. just kidding. a guy I knew got here in NY and they would not test him for it being it was only out west. he was near death and an intern asked the nurse if they tested him for it.she said no when they did they saw he had it. they said 2 more days he would have died. anti biotics cured it. RMSF is the black plague.

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I hope the treatment works quickly for you. A friend and coworker had RMSF years ago and it took him out of service for months. When he got back to work, he'd lost so much weight I didn't recognize him at first. Almost killed him.

Same for me. I thought for a minute it was gonna get me. I was a healthy young fella at the time in my early 20’s.

My dad is actually dealing with it now. He was losing his eyesight and they couldn’t figure out the infection.. RMSF finally diagnosed.

Crazy thing is…. My cousin pretty much lost his eyesight from it as well.he had a harder time contributed by his diabetes.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Can I have your guns?

Lol, I hope you heal up quick!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labΓ© skΓ½la

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I assume its location based, but I've never know anyone with RMSF, but I do know a bunch of people that had Lyme disease.

I want to meet someone who got bit by a tick and can't eat red meat.

Ticks weren't a big deal when we were kids, now..hell you gotta be on the lookout

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Don’t know how I escaped ever contracting that. I have had GAZILLIONS of ticks and tick bites over the years. Walking pipelines, mapping valves, digging ginseng, August squirrel hunting get covered up with 6000 seed ticks.

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
I narrowed mine down to a turkey hunting trip in the Missouri Ozarks.

Dad stays in the woods and has a kennel full of hunting dogs.

Cousin in Alabama is an avid outdoorsman.

It’s rarely a documented case of rmsf. Dads doctor said was his first case to diagnose and document and honestly my Mom had to push for the testing because knowing the symptoms about the vision from my cousins case.

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Always keep a way of communication with you and let someone know where you are going if alone. Twice with mine the headaches were so severe that I had to be taken to the hospital.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One thing the slumlord does is take a goddamm shower asap after being in the woods AND rub all legs, and arms, crotch with 91% alcohol

I don’t head to the Napa and whittle on a bar stool for 8 hours after going turkey hunting.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Did you have a rash?
One of my buds got it, had a nasty rash on his arms.
Hope you get over it quick.
None at all.

Symptoms were: heavy night sweats, low-grade fever during the evenings, a few days of aching joints, and general fatigue.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 10/21/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had it. Caught it from a seed tick and was on the Doxy regiment a day or two later. The sweats took forever to go away. Embarrassing when you are in front of a group and sweating like crazy.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Don’t know how I escaped ever contracting that. I have had GAZILLIONS of ticks and tick bites over the years. Walking pipelines, mapping valves, digging ginseng, August squirrel hunting get covered up with 6000 seed ticks.
Same with me, brother. I've pulled ticks off me many times over my life. But apparently one that carried RMSF didn't bite me....until it did.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I was β€˜saving’ ticks if they had gotten attached and maybe stayed on a day or two.

Usually something strange happens with me myself and I. If I get a runny nose in summer, by God there is usually a tick somewhere on me. It’s uncanny. Get out the mirror check all my folds. LOL

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Can I have your guns?

Lol, I hope you heal up quick!
πŸ˜†

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That’s how the first two weeks of Sober October feels.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Better RMSF than Alpha Gal. Was in a meeting with someone last week who has AG so severe if they even touch red meat it can trigger a severe reaction.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Better RMSF than Alpha Gal. Was in a meeting with someone last week who has AG so severe if they even touch red meat it can trigger a severe reaction.
I could live off seafood, but I would miss having a steak now and then.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had it once, with the rash. My dad had it twice, and ended up in the hospital both times.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
One thing the slumlord does is take a goddamm shower asap after being in the woods AND rub all legs, and arms, crotch with 91% alcohol

I don’t head to the Napa and whittle on a bar stool for 8 hours after going turkey hunting.

What's the purpose of the 91% alcohol? Does it make ticks let go if they are biting; or is it more of a disinfectant for bite areas? Ticks have really started showing up around here the last few years. Not exactly a welcome addition....

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Bad stuff! Neighbor kid had it several years ago and almost died from it.. Take care of yourself!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by KFWA
I assume its location based, but I've never know anyone with RMSF, but I do know a bunch of people that had Lyme disease.

I want to meet someone who got bit by a tick and can't eat red meat.

Ticks weren't a big deal when we were kids, now..hell you gotta be on the lookout
that is because they were able to use DDT then and it killed ticks and fleas by the ton. the rotten witch that got DDT canned is said to have a bigger death toll then Moa stailn and Hitler. all to save eagle eggs where now eagles are being slaughtered wholesale by windmills who are in the same group as the anti DDT crowd

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I could live off seafood, but I would miss having a steak now and then.

I love seafood, but no more red meat would really suck. Aside from steak, you'd be no fly for tacos, burgers, meatballs, brisket, chili, etc. with beef or venison. Not even being able to touch red meat to gut, process or cook it for someone else would add insult to the injury.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mrmeener
yea cause you be dead lol. just kidding. a guy I knew got here in NY and they would not test him for it being it was only out west. he was near death and an intern asked the nurse if they tested him for it.she said no when they did they saw he had it. they said 2 more days he would have died. anti biotics cured it. RMSF is the black plague.
It's called Rocky Mountain because that's where it was discovered. However, it's found wherever there are ticks and there are a lot more ticks in the south than in the Rockies. The SE has a lot more cases than the west does.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

There was a guy on Coast to Coast this morning that gets triggered from the smell of bacon cooking.
That would really suck.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S

Good advice.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
when we were kids high school age a cousin of mine got this Rocky mountain spotted fever it's kind of a new deal back then early to mid 80s. and he did damn near die spent several weeks in the hospital before they figured out what was going on. extremely high fever, packed him on ice a few times. you ended up losing all of his hair and a whole lot of weight..
turned out a worthless little [bleep] so maybe he should have croaked...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Jus like thet there strawberr y shamppoo stuff,

don't be gettin' nonthat 91% alkiehall get i n thet little hole on the end a yer willy

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Get healthy. Damned ticks.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My former boss, who was also a very good friend of mine, died of the crap. He went undiagnosed for almost a week. Doctors thought he had a routine virus. He got the rash late, as it was shut his organs down.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Treatment with a course of doxycycline
I am currently treating a dog with this medicine, two pills a day, morning and night for thirty days. Vet caught it during a yearly checkup, and shot update. Dog showed no symptoms but blood test caught it. Vet just said tick fever, so not sure if it is the same, or different disease. I give him a monthly dose of next gard, so ticks a fleas die when they bite him and fall off, but he still got the disease. I pull a few ticks off of me every year, so this is worysome. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
My former boss, who was also a very good friend of mine, died of the crap. He went undiagnosed for almost a week. Doctors thought he had a routine virus. He got the rash late, as it was shut his organs down.
Damn!
I feel so lucky that my Dr. figured it out right away.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Tick illnesses are tricky to diagnose and treat. Symptoms rise and fall (often imitating other diseases), as do test results.
A lot of MD's aren't familiar with them. Glad your doc caught this one early and pounded it with Doxy... one of the only effective treatments when caught early. Things like Lyme when they progress seldom get turned back.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Damn!
I feel so lucky that my Dr. figured it out right away.

Absolutely! I’m glad he figured it out as well. I wish my fellow Tarheel the best in recovering from this crap

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are the first person i ever heard of being so diagnosed although I recall hearing that common tics carried that while deer ticks carried lyme.....
I thought doxycycline was a veterinary med??

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's carried by a number of tick species, like the dog tick, wood tick, and others.

There are lots of meds used on both animals and people. The ones used on humans are much more heavily tested...other than covid. Ivermectin for humans has to be prescribed while it's over the counter for animals. I use it routinely for a wormer on animals and I buy it at farm stores or online.

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Instead of spending billions on labs to come up with shìt like Wuhan, the government ought to build a few billion dollar labs to come up with a virus or two that wipes out ticks, chiggers and mosquitos.

Would be a worthy investment.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by auk1124
Instead of spending billions on labs to come up with shìt like Wuhan, the government ought to build a few billion dollar labs to come up with a virus or two that wipes out ticks, chiggers and mosquitos.

Would be a worthy investment.
Except that it would starve billions of birds and bats.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I didn't realize that RMSF was still a thing. Good to know.

Get well soon, Trigger.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jstocks

Same for me. I thought for a minute it was gonna get me. I was a healthy young fella at the time in my early 20’s.

My dad is actually dealing with it now. He was losing his eyesight and they couldn’t figure out the infection.. RMSF finally diagnosed.

Crazy thing is…. My cousin pretty much lost his eyesight from it as well.he had a harder time contributed by his diabetes.
Buddy of mine got tick bit in NC and shrugged it off as having the flu. Lost the left eye and came near to it on the right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck! Get well soon! That's what I like about the Rocky Mountains! Almost zero ticks and no chiggers!

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I got a bad tick one time (out of thousands) and I knew the next day it was different, the arm it was attached to ached and I had the "bullseye" thing. Drove straight to the medi-quick and nurse practitioner said it doesn't matter what it is, it ain't good but the good news is that the treatment is the same for all of it. Seven days of antibiotics and gtg.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
You are the first person i ever heard of being so diagnosed although I recall hearing that common tics carried that while deer ticks carried lyme.....
I don't know about that, but I took doxycycline in the mid-80's to get rid of acne.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I just came off a ten day regimen of Doxy for a severe sinus infection.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
That one required some research on my part. Get well soon.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Got it a little over 30 years ago, treatment then was, if I remember correctly, tetracycline. As a forester and the son of a forester, I had been warned about it. Told my wife if I ever started showing symptoms to suggest it to the doctor if I was unable to do so. I knew one guy who nearly died before getting diagnosed.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

That treatment would be a fine recommendation for some of the bars I was in at a prime age..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I don't know about that, but I took doxycycline in the mid-80's to get rid of acne.

Dogs hardly ever have acne. I think. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,520
Posts18,491,029
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.