-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We just got back tonight and had a blast. We saw some birds but they were very spooky. The model 23 Pigeon Grade took is\t's first bird and the Citori Lightning 16 gauge scored a double. My buddies oldest dog also claimed a rooster. We certainly didn't fill out or hurt the population but we sure had fun.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
GB1

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My brothers are on the way home now. They hunted Eastern SD, mostly public access and a few private pieces. They didn’t see many birds and shot only a few. Unseasonably warm weather didn’t help as birds were pretty scattered. I’ve got a few days open at years end and may or may not make a quick trip there. Some snow, but not too much, might help things a bit. 🤔

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Good reports. The lack of weather and even a breeze many nights is good for the pheasants but bad for shooting them.

I didn't make it out this weekend, went to the Hills and worked on a project. MrsK had a snafu on her way home via United Airlines and I was pressed into transportation service. I'll make it up to them somehow.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a good trip to SD. DIdn't limit out, but was into lots of birds everyday. Better dog work (he was a bit rusty) and way better shooting on my part would have yielded more birds in the bag. I'll hopefully be back next year! Really enjoyed the area and country!

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Went out again on Sunday, a beautiful day for sure, enough breeze to get in close to the birds. I caught a flock of prairie chickens napping and my trusty Magnum Twenty failed to eject, leaving me struggling while the stragglers left my vicinity. Darn that was tough to watch. We saw tons of pheasants on our parcel, they've moved in nicely for the winter. As long as the weather holds, we'll have excellent shooting. I shot three roosters. One was a real crowd pleaser, our term for high flyers busted by another person and coming over the top. There was alot of blue between him and the muzzle but down he came.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prairie chickens, that's pretty cool. Too bad the shotgun let you down. That's awesome you are still getting them, it can get tough late season.

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The key is to not go too often. Any more than once a week is too much.

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
We went out yesterday, a blue bird day. Fifty degrees, no wind. Five of us had fourteen and I declared we'd find one for Flash. Flash is banged up, crowding fourteen, had a banner career and well, he just needed to taste blood again. We found one single rooster in a place where he could feel secure enough not to run off, and out of the pickup we piled. The rooster held, was flushed by the old dog, I hit the bird squarely, he was found. and the victory lap was quite impressive. He wanted everyone to see him and he made sure they did. It was a glorious moment for him and a few eyes teared up for the old warrior. I shot five yesterday.

Today it was 180 degrees change in the weather. Snow, wind, cold and we went out anyway. Flash stayed home but Lola joined in and did a great job. I shot six today. A 20ga with 2-3/4" sixes is still enough to kill roosters.

Merry Christmas

Last edited by BKinSD; 12/24/23.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good Dog, Flash!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy from up there, same town you’ve mentioned at times BK, said he went 3 birds with 3 shells today with his old lab.

Terrain looks a bit different than it did 5 days ago.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
That's good shooting!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BKinSD
That's good shooting!

Saw that your area was under a blizzard warning.

How’s it looking?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Still snowing. It took a break Sunday evening, back in earnest about 1pm yesterday and snowed through the night. I'd say 9-10" of wind whipped snow drifts, ugh. Wet and heavy, hope it melts soon. Supposed to be fairly decent and stay relatively warm. Its 34 now in fact. Some sunshine would be a big help.

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Took the Commodore and friends and their dads out on Saturday. Agar didn't get as much snow as either Pierre or Gettysburg, so getting around was ok. We killed 32 birds, I shot 8.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (260Remguy, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 13 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,383
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.