Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Damn the transmission talk, blowed 5th gear out in a automatic hauling hay. Getting a new Suncoast put in with 24% larger 5th gear, bands - clutches. Got good service out of the original transmission, 265k miles.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
You could not give me a manual for my needs hence the swapping of my 5 speed Tremec for a 4 speed AOD. My previous Boxster was a 6 speed manual, the current one is a 7 speed PDK that absolutely knows what you are doing or even might have in mind. Just brilliant.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
MartinStrummer: I have a one owner (me) 1996 Dodge Cummins Diesel 4x4 with extended cab, 8' bed and the 5 speed "standard" transmission.
Have 140,000 miles on it now and it runs like a top!
I like/liked the standard transmissions in the fleet of 4x4 pickups I started buying back in 1968.
I have many friends now with diesel pickups and diesel Jeeps with automatic transmissions and they are so great I think if I ever bought another pickup it would indeed have an automatic tranny.
The reason I mentioned the 8' bed is because my friends of late can NOT find a new 8' bed pickup to buy???
Long live pickup trucks.
Hold into the wind
Varmintguy

My neighbor farms all over the county and does ALOT of driving

He bought the first Dodge 3/4 w/Cummins and 5 spd in the county. About 1/3 through it's lifespan, the odometer broke at 469K!
His son is a certified Cummins mechanic....and a very good one.
He kept "Earl"* running! The frame had been welded together 4 tines. The only thing holding the bed to the chassis was the hydraulic hay spike. The hood was kept shut with race car hood pins!
* - It developed an electrical problem. It would just die driving down the road. The driver would kick the wires under the dash until it picked back up. It got "Earl" from the Dixie Chicks song "Earl Has To Die"!
Mike told his hired hand to "turn those steers!"! Chuck took off across the pasture in Earl, hit a ditch and ripped the entire front suspension out from under the truck. Mike's best estimate was that Earl had well over a million miles.
They took the truck to Mike's shop, pulled the motor and transmission and put them in another truck. Earl died in 2015. His motor and transmission are still working!

Let me also explain that Mike has a fetish about changing oil in an engine!
He was within 30 minutes of finishing sowing a 320 acre wheat field when the "oil change hours" rolled up on his tractor.
He stopped in the middle of the field and sent his hired hand to get filter and oil.
When Mike parks a piece of equipment and says, "It's worn out.", you may as well call the junk dealer! It's a scrap heap!

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
My grandmother knew how to make soap and make ketchup. In 2023 that makes as much sense as a "standard" transmission.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
My grandmother knew how to make soap and make ketchup. In 2023 that makes as much sense as a "standard" transmission.

Wow.

That's incredibly stupid.

Which is your version of par.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I say 5 more pages should suffice. Carry on

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by dale06
GM dropped installing a manual tranny in the corvette. That’s a tragedy.
The pussification of America.

Nope. The "floor board" on the C8 is actually a structural member of the car so a hole in it cannot be accomodated. As noted previously, the twin clutch autos are a fair bit quicker than a manual.

So, you mean like every unibody, the floor pan of a Porsche 911 is a structural member, and yet they’re able to fit a shifter that passes through the floor pan. But Chevy can’t, because “structural member”??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like them. And I payed a pretty good premium to get one in this old Poncho.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/tQznnYS.mp4[/img]

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I learned to drive in a 48 Jeep.
For me it was a '49 Ford F100 with a 3 spd on the floor.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know an 80 year old lady here who drives a 50 something Nash with a 3-spd. Her late husband was a hunting buddy of mine. When they got married, back in the early 60's, they needed a car for a honeymoon and found a decent Nash. They/she have been driving nothing but Nash's every since. I don't know how many times hers has been overhauled.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by hanco
Brakes are a lot cheaper than a clutch and a lot easier to replace. It isn’t cost effective to downshift to slow vehicle. Doing that causes uneven wear on clutch plate and flywheel causing vehicle to shudder when you let out the clutch. You should put vehicle in neutral when coming to a stop. Use the clutch when you are ready to take off. It’s your vehicle, so it’s certainly your option to use clutch as you see fit. It’s also a hell of a lot less wear on your throw out bearing. The clutch in my 89 jeep has 170,000 miles on it, still doing fine. I [bleep] up several clutch’s in other vehicles before a mechanic told me how to make a clutch last.

Longevity of parts is one thing but there's not a driving test in the world that you could pass using a manual transmission in this way.

You maintain control of the vehicle by manually selecting the appropriate gear at any time. Whether you're accelerating, maintaining, or decelerating.

Especially if you're towing.

Not sure if it's illegal if it fails you the test.

It certainly is illegal in a truck.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"... The clutch in my 89 jeep has 170,000 miles on it, still doing fine. I [bleep] up several clutch’s in other vehicles before a mechanic told me how to make a clutch last. ..."

My '01 Dodge 3500 has 420K! We bought it used with 13k.
To the best of my knowledge, it's the original clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing.*

* - I expect it to go out just any day! That's a LOT of miles on those parts! 😜

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Some of us just enjoy driving them, it reminds me of better days gone by. Nostalgia I guess you'd say. Driving a convertible on a twisty mountain road is more fun with a manual than any dual clutch automatic will ever be.

Besides, I can park a manual on the street in Memphis with the keys in the ignition and it'll still be there a few hours later. Try that with an automatic.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish my work truck was a 5 speed.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We've never found an automatic that will crawl the pasture like a standard.
We feed mostly in "Granny", 4WD, Low range.
The newer Duramax wouldn't do it, or the newer Dodge. Tranny stall will throw you off the back! laugh laugh laugh
BTDT, now too damned old!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I learned to drive in a 48 Jeep.
For me it was a '49 Ford F100 with a 3 spd on the floor.
57 Chev 3/4 ton, floor shift w/granny low... starter button next to the gas pedal... no brakes... taught myself at 10 or 11 back in the 70's... love to see a todays youth deal... or most adults for that matter... lol

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by BamBam
2001, dodge 2500, 5.9, six speed and a 2007 F350 7.3 power stroke five speed. That’s what I have now. I’ve had quite a few manual, transmissions in cars trucks a few hot rods. I learned to drive clutch in a motorcycle about age 9, maybe 10. And stick in a car, Volkswagen, lol, at age 11, what a freaking blast that was!

Oh my! That takes me back.....1974. Freshman College. We were at a party, and a dorm mate got falling down drunk. I was elected to get him home. A late 60s/ maybe early 70s model VW bug with a floor shifter.

No problem, I have been driving tractors and pickups around the farm for better than 10 years. I KNOW how to drive a standard.

Except, where's the friggen clutch?!!! My first and only experience with a chainsaw clutch in an automobile.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Hard to find a new one at a dealership these days.
Been driving a standard for most of my life.

I have an '01 Dodge w/Cummins and a 6 spd trans.
I use the clutch to stop and start. The rest of the time, I "float" the gears.

How about the rest of you?
I miss a stick.. Last one I had was about 15+ years ago. frown

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I drove a 10 speed in the big rig for about 970,000 miles. I was good at floating the gears.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our former neighborhood was mountainous ranching county above 8k elevation, complete with rough roads, snow/ice/mud/etc. and some log hauls in that stuff. Of course. the ranchers all hauled loads, pulled loaded stock trailers, etc. and worked their trucks hard - mostly Dodge and Ford diesels and a Chev Duramax once in a while.

Many of those folks like automatic transmissions for the same reason most others do, but they tried never to have an autotrans in those working trucks. The autos were much less useful/flexible for the work they had to do and failed - broke - early in the lives of most those trucks. Meanwhile a clutch and 5 or 6 speed manual wold work well for 200k plus miles - and my Dodge Cummins ran up 340k before trouble - and the cause was simply release bearing wear/roughness.

Autotrans are great for most folks - but not for some.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 35, 2UP, 27 invisible), 1,193 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,214
Posts18,524,304
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.