Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Gnoahhh - and Iskra -

Beautiful examples of Springfield sporters! Thanks for sharing those.

Guy

GB1

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I think bubba made some really nice 1903s but then I always like things that collectors find horrible

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by iskra
My own Holy Grail came to me by accident. During the better part of a year as my home and office were some four hundred miles apart. I usually flew home most weekends on the Government nickel but had decided to rent a car and drive for the hell of it! A pee break taking me into a just off I-5 fancy upscale Sporting goods store in Stockton, Ca. Most ski & winter sports, surprised to find fancy shotguns in a glass case behind a counter. Brief chat as learning a rack of "also ran" long guns largely hidden in clothing. There 'it'. An NRA Springfield Sporter. Made by Springfield Armory for NRA Members, the Model 1903 in sporting configuration largely consisting of a Lyman 48 Sight and a half stock with especially made barrel band and butt plate. The price, $250 for this minty, original specimen. Snapped it up! Pix below. Verified with Springfield Research Service it's legitimacy and much later, the original owner's name and "shipped to..." location. Found him in Oakland Calif as death occurring in late forties and his place of burial in Midwest. Photo of his gravestone in my files.

Mine was in 'about' the first group made, all hand-fitted, build in 1924 and shipped to that owner in 1925. These rifles and components offered by Springfield Armory into the mid thirties as both trench of the Depression and complaints of "Government" not to compete with private firms, as valid. Something over 4K total production. Early editions as mine, "double heat treated" making for incredibly smooth actions. Later ones of Nickel Steel. Very few "original & unaltered" ones surviving! Talk about luck... My only "lucky pee! smile

Best!
John

I have its twin, and consider it one of the jewels in my collection. Dates to 1929, sold to a gentleman in Alaska who used it on his pilgrimages to Kodiak Island. Family lore had it account for a few brown bears over the years. I got it from the grandson of the original owner who was an old guy himself at the time and was cashing in his chips. It shoots quite nicely, as one would expect, and it still gets some time afield in my hands. In fact, it'll be in my duffle when I head down to Kentucky for deer next week. Checked zero last Saturday and it only took a tweaking to have it print right where I wanted it (after whanging around with some different loads other than my standard hunting load over the summer). Good ju-ju in this old girl.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That’s a beauty Gary! 😍

Last edited by JediWing19; 12/28/23.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Very nice!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 03/A3 my dad bought before 1972. It's pretty much unissued. He told me he bought it from a guy who bought through the NRA for like under 20$

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B2

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Nice gun

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great pics guys. I enjoyed them.
I have a small collection of 1903’s. A couple original -SC A3’s, a 1922 beauty and a couple nicely done but not over the top sporters. This is one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From 1926, not 22 my memory isn’t aging as well as these rifles. This guns going to be 100 years old soon.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So much respect for these old rifles.

So many nice ones shown on this thread.

Thanks!

Guy

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
From 1926, not 22 my memory isn’t aging as well as these rifles. This guns going to be 100 years old soon.

There's a beaut!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A poignant cartoon that Bill Mauldin drew especially for W.Brophy's seminal book on the 1903 Springfield:

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
A poignant cartoon that Bill Mauldin drew especially for W.Brophy's seminal book on the 1903 Springfield:

Thanks for that! Love his work.

Guy

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 22250rem, 1234, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,367
Posts18,506,470
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.