Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My employer buys a pile of fleet 3/4 and 1 ton 4x4 trucks. They pull stuff all over and get flogged on out on the right of ways all the time. They’re cheap so they buy gas for anything 1 ton and under. They have been stuck on the 6.2 Fords since 2011 and they’ve been claw hammer reliable, those are discontinued so they’re getting 6.8s now. But the last few years with trucks hard to get they’ve branched out and have been buying whatever big 3 gas burners they could get. And so far everything has actually been really good according to the guys who drive them and the guys who maintain them.

They’re all about 400hp and they all seem to have good transmissions behind them. They all get about 14 empty and 8 pulling.

Based on that I’d say get whichever you like the styling of or that you can find a better bargain on.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by irfubar
The new diesels, thanks to the emission equipment aren't reliable. Bought a new 2019 Ram Cummins and it was constant trouble and parts weren't available.
Only vehicle I have had that left me stranded on a road trip. Def system took a crap in Denver, computer shut the damn thing down.
No replacement parts in all of Denver to fix it. Stranded for 8 days. Finally part showed up and 100 miles down the road the check engine light came on again.
Made it to the next dealer and was told the EGR was failing and could go out at any time. The last one they did, took 6 weeks for the part to show up!!
1200 miles from home, fugg that POS.
Today I would only trust a gasser.

100% agree...

But frankly nothing new by the GM, Ford or Dodge (even as a gasser) would be in my corral.

TOO MANY BS ITEMS TO BREAK... and also those guys have a horrible reputation of standing behind trucks (EVEN WITH A WARRANTY).

Hell, my 2024 Tundra is driving me nuts with all the sensors (and it an SR base model)... if I leave the tailgate down it pings the cell phone every 10 minutes to remind me... for fuggs sake.

As to the OPs question...

Not a clue on what to buy new in the 3/4 Ton plus class.

If it was me... I would buy a 1998 Cummins (12 valve) and spend $35k more on a total makeover (inside and out)... maybe.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 700LTR
Ram 3500

I have one (2003).

He doesn't want to be nickel and dimed to death, he said. Engine and transmission is good tho. Pretty much everything else has been replaced at least once, some twice, universals 3 times.

I'm keeping it, as it's damned near a new vehicle now with just 130 K on it....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by K1500
I’ve got the new GM 6.6l gas (2021) paired with the 6 speed auto. It has done everything I want it to do without a problem, and it doesn’t have any of the AFM stuff the 1/2 tons so. I tow a 20’ bay boat and a 25’ bumper pull camper. Been through the Rockies and over high passes with nary an issue or lack of power. I’m sure if I was pulling a dozer everywhere it may be different.

It has noticeably more power than the 6.0 gas GM that I have, and it should be even better now that it is paired with the same Allison (branded) 10 speed they use with the diesels. FWIW, I came from an LML in the truck before and so not miss having all the diesel emission BS, nor the fuel that is $1.70 a gallon more than gas. Plus the truck is quick to accelerate and warms up the cab really fast in cold weather.

Does it have the start/stop nonsense?

All 8 cylinders all the time?

I’ll be in the market in a year or 2. Buddy that just spent the last year hemming and hawing and finally dropped cash on a F350 with the diesel said you couldn’t get any gasser that was all 8 all the time and without the start/stop.
He's wrong, 250/350 2500/3500 don't have AFM. You could look up the big three and find out for yourself. I don't know where your friend got his info but either he's really dumb or whoever told him that is really dumb.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by K1500
I’ve got the new GM 6.6l gas (2021) paired with the 6 speed auto. It has done everything I want it to do without a problem, and it doesn’t have any of the AFM stuff the 1/2 tons so. I tow a 20’ bay boat and a 25’ bumper pull camper. Been through the Rockies and over high passes with nary an issue or lack of power. I’m sure if I was pulling a dozer everywhere it may be different.

It has noticeably more power than the 6.0 gas GM that I have, and it should be even better now that it is paired with the same Allison (branded) 10 speed they use with the diesels. FWIW, I came from an LML in the truck before and so not miss having all the diesel emission BS, nor the fuel that is $1.70 a gallon more than gas. Plus the truck is quick to accelerate and warms up the cab really fast in cold weather.

Does it have the start/stop nonsense?

All 8 cylinders all the time?

I’ll be in the market in a year or 2. Buddy that just spent the last year hemming and hawing and finally dropped cash on a F350 with the diesel said you couldn’t get any gasser that was all 8 all the time and without the start/stop.
He's wrong, 250/350 2500/3500 don't have AFM. You could look up the big three and find out for yourself. I don't know where your friend got his info but either he's really dumb or whoever told him that is really dumb.

Thanks for taking the time to post that. Appreciate it California.

Edit to add:

What does MDS stand for, in reference to the Ram 6.4 gasser that comes standard on a new 2500?

Last edited by BillyGoatGruff; 10/31/23.

MAGA
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It makes your truck a 4cylinder when coasting or lightly pushing the gas pedal, helps gas mileage. My truck got the 6.4 gasser, haven't had any issues other than the abs module going out.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gutthooked
It makes your truck a 4cylinder when coasting or lightly pushing the gas pedal, helps gas mileage. My truck got the 6.4 gasser, haven't had any issues other than the abs module going out.

I know what it is, was tongue in cheek for the dipshît I was responding to. smile

MAGA
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,300
Posts18,525,963
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.