Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
For what it's worth..............I may get flamed for this; but, I pour a common bleach down our well every six months to a year.

One gallon, the I run every faucet in and out the house, until I smell bleach, then I shut it down before we go to bed.

Been on a well my entire life.
Pretty much the method to shock chlorinate a well, but one half gallon is more typical.

More bleach is not necessarily better. The biggest factor is contact time rather than concentration.

Or less even - I only use a couple of cups !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rooster7
For what it's worth..............I may get flamed for this; but, I pour a common bleach down our well every six months to a year.

One gallon, the I run every faucet in and out the house, until I smell bleach, then I shut it down before we go to bed.

Pretty much the method to shock chlorinate a well, but one half gallon is more typical.

More bleach is not necessarily better. The biggest factor is contact time rather than concentration.
I was going to ask about dumping bleach down the well and if it hurt anything. I've heard of it but have never done it. Once you smell chlorine in the house wouldn't you want to keep running the faucets until you no longer smelled it?
Posted the procedure via AK DEC.
Fresh water flush is #4.

4. Open all taps and flush out the chlorine solution until you can no longer smell it at any of the taps. Your well and distribution system should now be disinfected.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hydrogen sulfide is culprit as previously stated, which is the result of bacteria metabolism. That particular bacteria likes/feeds on iron. We installed an iron eliminating system (NOT filter, but a 4 aggregate system which concludes with diatomaceous earth). System has to be backwashed every so often. But the sulfur smell was gone *immediately* after we installed that iron-out system. Best $1600 ever spent (okay, 10 years ago).

BTW - we never flushed any of our pipes. The rust lining the copper pipes eventually dissolved out, but that was downstream of the filter so the bacteria didn't have a chance.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
We recently developed an off taste in our well water and I did the chlorine shock treatment described above. I think I overdid it on the chlorine - 2 weeks later we're still getting chlorine smell/taste, but it's almost gone.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

I was going to ask about dumping bleach down the well and if it hurt anything. I've heard of it but have never done it. Once you smell chlorine in the house wouldn't you want to keep running the faucets until you no longer smelled it?
Fresh water flush is #4.

4. Open all taps and flush out the chlorine solution until you can no longer smell it at any of the taps. Your well and distribution system should now be disinfected.

Thanks IB.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Tennessee?

How long has it stunk?

H2s in your water is common in oil-gas-coal country.

The bleach deal won't do much for that.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This^

I've had to sanitize a few wells, including my own, to eliminate the sulfur reducing bacteria that cause this smell. Duration of the process is key, as is being sure to run treated water through EVERY pipe and appliance in the system.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Fresh water flush is #4.

Thanks IB.
Flush as little as possible into your septic also.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Bug Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They been fracking in your area?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Having been in the industry for 50 years, Tminc's reply is spot on. We aerated such wells and in the majority of cases the results were satisfactory enough the customers did no further treatments.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought that this was just one of the (too numerous to list) wonderful things about good, old well water.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,476
Posts18,529,590
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.