Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I don't write checks anymore, don't even have any. If I do need to send money to someone I go to my bank's online site and get a check sent from my checking account. The bank does it at no charge to me and there isn't any cost to the recipient either. Might be a week before they see it, but some of us remember when that wasn't such a long time to wait for payment.

Mathew 22: 37-39

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
I don't write checks anymore, don't even have any. If I do need to send money to someone I go to my bank's online site and get a check sent from my checking account. The bank does it at no charge to me and there isn't any cost to the recipient either. Might be a week before they see it, but some of us remember when that wasn't such a long time to wait for payment.

A week is fast these days. The PO has been running 10+ days on most of them. I have no issues with a bank check either........."A check of any kind".....

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Personal check or USPS money order, and I hold the merchandise 'til the check / money order clears. I don't do paypal. If the potential buyer insists, they're not the buyer after all. If I lose the sale, I lose the sale. I'm ok with that.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I have sold a thing or two on the Classifieds and a personal check is by far my favorite. I have never had a bad one (knock on wood) and my bank has told me many times that a USPS MO is the most commonly counterfeited or fake payments they see. They will "cash" a check for me but USPS MO's must be Deposited.

Not entirely true. If your bank won’t cash a Postal Money Order, that is their policy. The USPS MO is probably the best transfer of funds as you can verify the check instantly. If they are forged, you can tell with a single call to check the MO and it’s origin…

Yes, I should have clarified that it is my bank's policy to only deposit MO's. If I take a USPS MO for a rifle to the small town PO, more often then not they don't have enough cash on hand to cash it so I need to take it to the bank anyway.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I like USPS money orders but sometimes my PO doesn't have enough cash on hand to cash them. I won't take a personal check from anyone and you'll never get one from me. I can get cashiers checks for free at my bank so that is what I usually use. But I don't buy much off classified forums either.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all.

I'll see how it goes!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by Mike_S
I have had good luck with plain old checks. Most here have no problem accepting them and I make it a point to say I can wait while the check clears. And what hard way says.

I have sold a thing or two on the Classifieds and a personal check is by far my favorite. I have never had a bad one (knock on wood) and my bank has told me many times that a USPS MO is the most commonly counterfeited or fake payments they see. They will "cash" a check for me but USPS MO's must be Deposited.
All ya gotta do is take the MO to the Post Office and they will cash it for you right there on the spot. I usually wait until later in the day and have never had a problem getting them cashed.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 11/01/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I have had good luck with plain old checks. Most here have no problem accepting them and I make it a point to say I can wait while the check clears. And what hard way says.

All ya gotta do is take the MO to the Post Office and they will cash it for you right there on the spot. I usually wait until later in the day and have never had a problem getting them cashed.
My local post office rarely has enough cash to do anything. Shipped something the other day for around $30 , handed the girl a hundred dollar bill . She didn't have change

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

My local post office rarely has enough cash to do anything. Shipped something the other day for around $30 , handed the girl a hundred dollar bill . She didn't have change

Same here and that was sort of my point. If I have a MO for $500 and try to cash it there, I doubt they take in that much in a month. They have one employee in the PO and I believe 2 part time drivers.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Best way to get/send funds without PayPal?

I'm done with PayPal.

Have a scope I'd like to list but have never used the classifieds here.

Personal CK is fine with me

Screw the PO MO

As mentioned.........not standing in line to pay for a MO

Haven't got screwed with the CK in 20+ years

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have bought twice off the classifieds. Both times I told the sellers I'd send a personal check and asked that they not ship until the check cleared.

I have sold on on the fire once. I told the buyer to inspect it and send me a check if satisfied.
👍👍

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't write checks anymore, don't even have any.

Me either. I haven’t written a check in like 10 years.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Jesus talk to the seller and 99% of the time you will find him to be a good ole boy like the rest of us. Send him cash and tell him when you sent it and he will send you goodie out the same time. Done is multix times over the years..recently with 1000-1500 dollar items. be a cop and screen your seller!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tesoro
Jesus talk to the seller and 99% of the time you will find him to be a good ole boy like the rest of us. Send him cash and tell him when you sent it and he will send you goodie out the same time. Done is multix times over the years..recently with 1000-1500 dollar items. be a cop and screen your seller!!

On a $1,000-1500 item I typically wait to be paid before sending. On a $100 item, I often ship before payment.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Only problems I have encountered with USPS money orders is when my small town post office doesn't have enough in the till to cash one.

Usually happens in the morning when they haven't had any business. Just a minor inconvenience.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone

For real?

No way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PayPal owns Venmo.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by tzone

For real?

No way.

Fossils Sam...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Blindshooter: I always use and prefer postal money orders - coming and going.
Good luck with the scope sale.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess I handle it a little differently. I always let the buyer choose their preferred method of payment. Checks are no problem as in modern times they take two days, maybe three tops, to clear. As long as the buyer understands when you will ship there will be no problem. I try to confirm they are a good buyer with any deal. Heck, I even ship before payment sometimes. Money orders, as Shrapnel said, are easy to confirm. Paypal and Venmo allow me to withdraw funds as soon as I recieve them. Someday I"ll probably get bitten; but, so far, so good.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (Anaconda, alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, 375sunrise, 12 invisible), 837 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,915
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.