Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My little 20” CTR 223 rides in the truck or SxS or tractor the most.

It’s ashame you don’t like the 6.5x47 Beav, if you need an address to send it somewhere it’ll be loved, lemme know whistle

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs

It’s ashame you don’t like the 6.5x47 Beav, if you need an address to send it somewhere it’ll be loved, lemme know whistle

No, no, Scotty. It’s loved.

She just needs a different outfit that is bettered designed, so I can hold her in the roughest of ways. 😉

🦫

PS

Congrats on getting your bull this year. First season bull for me starts Nov.18th.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I only have (3) 8" 223 CTR's and my landslide favorite,is the Sporter that I simply dumped in said handle,to eek the magazine. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Prefer it to my 4th 8" 223 Teeker,which I went AICS DBM with. Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Stick,

I’ve made some poor choices in the past on setting up a rifle. I need to settle down, and think through what I want from the firearm and how I intend to use it, before I just jump. These ‘speed’ decision, I make, just cost me money correcting things.

All I got right on the ‘CTR’ was my choice of chambering. I should have had Shaen cut the spout back another 4” inches.

The furniture, well, that wasn’t a mistake. It was more of a hope that in the last 3 years I had grown longer arms making the stock fit me better. Grins.

Shaen, will be getting the CTR back for a haircut and a different stock. Do you have a recommendation for a stock, other than Grayboe? I’m thunking hard about the Mesa.

Howa’s 6 ARC would have been a no-brainer, if I wasn’t already sitting on a pile of Lapua 123gr Scenar’s in 6.5x47L

🦫

Now, I understand. You dropped your CTR into a Sporter stock. That could work.

Last edited by Beaver10; 11/04/23.

“Molon Labe”
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I really like the sporter ctr stock swap. I prefer the ctr stock to the sporter but could live with the sporter stock. The ctr magazines seals the deal in 223 especially. Odd they understand something by giving 8 twist barrels and room in the ctr magazine but then go full retard with the standard magazines.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
I fitted CTR bottom metal on my 6.5 Creedmoor in a sporter stock and love it.

My 308 stainless sporter in a UPR stock is a joy to handle, and it uses CTR mags, as well.

And, I have a 308 CTR.

I love the CTR mags.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've not Hushed a Loudener,since earlier today. Hint.

Taped muzzles on the floor,ONLY. Hint..............

Glad that rifle is working well. I’ve it’s twin in 6.5 that’s been handy this rut. The loudener solution is genius.

Yup.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The hell with that. I'm not going to use any of my CTR's for a "truck gun". That is Ruger RAR ranch .223 rem territory right there!!! You guys have some weird ideas on proper "truck guns"..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Savage 12FV in 22-250 for years.

Remington 700 in 6mm Remington for the centerfire now.

Once I can get my old ADL 222 sighted in it will be the main CF in the truck.

Always a Ruger American in 17HMR in the truck now.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/04/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Stick,

I’ve made some poor choices in the past on setting up a rifle. I need to settle down, and think through what I want from the firearm and how I intend to use it, before I just jump. These ‘speed’ decision, I make, just cost me money correcting things.

All I got right on the ‘CTR’ was my choice of chambering. I should have had Shaen cut the spout back another 4” inches.

The furniture, well, that wasn’t a mistake. It was more of a hope that in the last 3 years I had grown longer arms making the stock fit me better. Grins.

Shaen, will be getting the CTR back for a haircut and a different stock. Do you have a recommendation for a stock, other than Grayboe? I’m thunking hard about the Mesa.

Howa’s 6 ARC would have been a no-brainer, if I wasn’t already sitting on a pile of Lapua 123gr Scenar’s in 6.5x47L

🦫

Now, I understand. You dropped your CTR into a Sporter stock. That could work.

Strike that and reverse it,ala Willie Wonka. Hint.

T3X Sporter dumped into a CTR handle,so as to drive CTR mags in 8" 223. It yields a CTR Lite. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Beaver man (or more appropriately, non-beaver getting man).....do any of those choices offer gratuitous road head? That's what I am interested in....

My 'truck gun' is a beat to hell Springfield 1898 in .30-40 Krag, that sometimes also gets to ride along on the bike. No road head option.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I feed it whatever oddball .308 bullets I have laying around as well as whatever bits of powder I have leftover. This particular Krag is surprisingly accurate with whatever leftover components I feed it. 150 grain-220 grain bullets and all sorts of powders/charges.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In these parts,Front Seat Praise,is THE Greatest Of Accolades. Conversation(s) go like this,"Whatcha' got in the front?!?". Hint.

Nobody rolls their WORST schit,in the front. Oft times,Front Bitches are welllll weathered long term wares,that are literally SEASONED Veterans. Other times,they are a Trial By Fire(literally),for New Wares. Depending upon time of year,I simply shuffle that Greatest Honor. Hint.

NEVER is it a L/A. Hint.

Handy/Dandy RULES The Roost and it might could be a Krunchenticker,Lever or Turnbolt. Hint.

MUCH depends on my selection,given who is riding Shotgun. If it's someone with abilities I KNOW,I'll happily throw a Play Toy up front. If/when someone new,I'm rolling RUTHLESSLY and will simply connect all dots myself. I've a soft spot for Howie Mini's and a Wayne's World handled 264 Grendel,in particular. It wears a JO V2 BDL bottom(like all my others) and I rather like the Wayne's World stock ergo's and relative griptitude. I feed it 120 MB Smooches and they dig DEEP and are utterly reliable,at any/all ranges of engagement. The Illuminatti is like my dozens of others,in that it do what it should,less fanfare. It's pinned to 4x,so the erector jives the reticle and ocular DOPE is a breeze to input. Hint.

The 19" CHOP,muchly sweetens the parcel. Hint................

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

No, no, Scotty. It’s loved.

She just needs a different outfit that is bettered designed, so I can hold her in the roughest of ways. 😉

🦫

PS

Congrats on getting your bull this year. First season bull for me starts Nov.18th.

Thanks Beav. It was a good time in Wyoming this year. Looking forward to hearing how you Oregon guys do in a few weeks.

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Every truck gun I’ve had other than my old surplus WWII 1911 was a beater externally but always oiled and reliable. My favorite until some a-hole in Pocatello at the old Alvords truck stop took it was an old Savage 24 30-30 x 20 ga. Never failed me and covered all the bases from ditch pheasant to coyotes. Before it sprouted legs I had an old 4X Redfield on it. In my mind it was the perfect gun for those times when I’d drive up on something that needed shooting

Rick

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Beaver man (or more appropriately, non-beaver getting man).....do any of those choices offer gratuitous road head? That's what I am interested in....

You get your herpes under control?

😂🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

😂🦫

Yes.
Thank you for asking.

Lat'r.....I am headed up on the hill behind mom's house for mulies, because elk are absolutely kicking my ass.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Short and nimble would seem to be the obvious first step to what rides. I went Superman and flew over that initial requirement, then crashed.

I just finished yapping at Shaen. The CTR is slotted for a shortening.

My feelings on whether a gun is a box purchase, custom build, or something that was repurposed from another era as a rider doesn’t matter...

At some point, at least for me, you realize you buy these things to be used. So use them and enjoy what they were intended for. To shoot at shít.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

😂🦫

Yes.
Thank you for asking.

Lat'r.....I am headed up on the hill behind mom's house for mulies, because elk are absolutely kicking my ass.

Sweet!

Good Luck, Tiny.

My phone is on and waiting for a picture.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
Every truck gun I’ve had other than my old surplus WWII 1911 was a beater externally but always oiled and reliable. My favorite until some a-hole in Pocatello at the old Alvords truck stop took it was an old Savage 24 30-30 x 20 ga. Never failed me and covered all the bases from ditch pheasant to coyotes. Before it sprouted legs I had an old 4X Redfield on it. In my mind it was the perfect gun for those times when I’d drive up on something that needed shooting

Rick

I hate a thief. We all do.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hey Beav’, this is a bout carry method rather than the carry gun!

I’m guss’n that you have a cab on your UTV…..if so, here’s our carry method. It’s a bit slower to access, but gets the firearms off of the floor away from water and debris. It also has them out of sight of “prying eyes” unless the gawker is quite short!

I used a system made for a pickup truck cab, modified it to fit in our old Ranger, and secured it to the roll cage!

It may not work for you…..but, we’re pretty happy with it! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/05/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (06hunter59, 163bc, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,785
Posts18,515,843
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.