Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
......."Throw a stick and salmon on the fire".........

That's just hilarious ......... haha

Good one Hawk ......

Dave
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
One word:

fellowship

I'm no longer able to hunt, but I remember decades of hunting, from the early 1930s past 2000. �

Come to think of it, those early-1930s hunts were night affairs (fox-hunting in southern Alabama), with very rare exception without a fire. All that there was was fellowship with good companions listening to the hounds run a fox and talking quietly about all kinds of things, as good companions do.

Nothin' could be fina, even in Carolina! I was in Hawg Heaven just listening.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barak
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Am I part of the problem as some see it?

C'maaaaan.

You're a lawyer.

Who used to be a cop.

Of course you're part of the problem as some see it.

Get over it and go on with your life.

And that is what I love most about you, Mr. B!! Thanks for the belly laugh;grin;!!!!

HoundGirl

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

C'maaaaan.

You're a lawyer.

Who used to be a cop.

Beat me to it! laugh

You can handle it Jim! Besides I never thought of you as a "problem"...............Indeed, I don't notice a "problem" on the Campfire.

The Campfire has grown considerably since I first came on here in 2003, (originally with different handle). There is a lot more experience, and no longer do a few rule the roost--just too much diversity of experience and sheer numbers these days.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

C'maaaaan.

You're a lawyer.

Who used to be a cop.

Beat me to it! laugh

You can handle it Jim! Besides I never thought of you as a "problem"...............Indeed, I don't notice a "problem" on the Campfire.

The Campfire has grown considerably since I first came on here in 2003, (originally with different handle). There is a lot more experience, and no longer do a few rule the roost--just too much diversity of experience and sheer numbers these days.

Casey

Lawyers and cops are only dangerous in the real world. laugh

War Damn Eagle!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 340boy
I like this place!

I think Rick gives us a pretty 'free hand' here as far as what we do and do not post.

Anyone remember that 'shortmags' forum?
Or even Glock Talk?
Those are FAR more 'regulated' than the 'Fire.

Have not one but 2 bans from Shortfag.org.Buddy over there was--is a tool.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah the moderator over there was pretty heavy handed, IMO.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Am I part of the problem as some see it? I sort of thought this particular forum was for other than the dedicated forums. And since Rick has covered almost every base, then that leaves politics, current events, issues of the day, and general fluff such as picture threads, Christmas threads, asking of and giving of general life advice.

Is that the intent of the campfire, or have I and others contributed to the decline of the fire as some say has happened? I don't see the decline, but we used to have a saying where I policed: "The good ole days ended the day before you got here". I hate some people have left, and I don't want to be part of a problem if there is one.

I'm not calling anyone out, pointing a finger, choosing a side, or saying either side is right or wrong. I am seeking personal advice, and asking general questions.

This particular forum is not static and always seems to be undergoing change. It's also not the same rough and tumble place it was when I first started lurking here. The addition of the women probably had a lot to do with that.

The cast of regular posters is actually quite small compared to the entire membership of the 24 Hour Campfire and that may be contributing to some of the friction observed here. Some of the posters accumulate so many posts in such a short period of time that I wonder if they have a life outside of this forum, let alone a job, career, or family. In some cases, posters with those extremely high post counts seem to act as if they have acquired some degree of ownership of this forum as a result of their numerous posts and constant presence.

This place is certainly informative, interesting and entertaining, but it's not my sole existence. My oldest son is in the infantry and leaves in 2 weeks for training before being shipped over to the Middle East. The problems you folks have regarding your wounded egos, or who here doesn't like you, pale in comparison to my concerns.

MacDonald
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My oldest son is in the infantry and leaves in 2 weeks for training before being shipped over to the Middle East. The problems you folks have regarding your wounded egos, or who here doesn't like you, pale in comparison to my concerns.

That is very true! Good luck to your son. He is doing an honorable thing for our nation. I appreciate that.

"Courage is Fear holding on a minute longer."
-Gen. Patton
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 340boy
Yeah the moderator over there was pretty heavy handed, IMO.

Heavy handed more like amish.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not calling anyone out, pointing a finger, choosing a side, or saying either side is right or wrong.

That is what some people are complaining about, really. It is all the fence-sitting, butt kissing, and PC sorta stuff that drives some ppl nutz. With some of the....hmmmm....hard hitters, for lack of a better word, gone....it's easier for people to get away with posting out their butts about stuff they know they ain't gonna be called on. It is what it is...

Rick and Artsy do the bestest they can, but they can't micro manage this many people....and check every post for horse chit...or misinformation...or run off people that obviously have NO interest in the outdoors(on any level) and are just here to talk about themselves and how moral/heroic they are, to the point it might could give someone the actual gags. Those same hard hitters that I mentioned above did a pretty good job at curbing some of the bullchit, but they have moved on.

People will come and go...and chit changes.

Just a few thoughts.....

HoundGirl

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It just ain't fair for you to compare us to you, so quit it.

You know it wouldn't be fun or informative at all if everybody but you left this great forum as then there would be nobody for you to critisize, would there?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

C'maaaaan.

You're a lawyer.

Who used to be a cop.

Beat me to it! laugh

Casey

Lawyers and cops are only dangerous in the real world. laugh

Some would say this is the real world, a melting pot of wisdom,wit and enthusiasm for the outdoors!
laugh

Merry Christmas smile

Hunting the "Roar",
Mark Luce

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMHO, members' posts can kill more good forums than over-active moderators do. I left one otherwise good forum, years ago, because the moderator didn't curb some rotten stuff that he shouldn't've allowed to continue.

I've often considered abandoning the Campfire out of deep disgust over some of what goes-on here. But I wait, and after a while, the 'fire's "immune system" takes care of the plagues. Itches that persist are bearable.

Rick's moderating hand is delicate � neither dead nor overly active. Nice balance.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jim, I don't see any one person as 'the problem' here. We are a diverse group, with varied backgrounds, and life experiences.
Most of the time we get along. As with any family, there are times when the give and take can get acrimonious. Thats life.
I think most of us see the little cliques here, just as on any forum.
If you are not with the 'in crowd', it can be rough sometimes. Oh well............ ya know?
I learn a lot here, I hope I contribute a bit. There is no doubt in my mind, that Rick B. runs the best place on the 'net.

Sam......

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The Campfire is a true Forum, an open Forum where all people can come and interact with others, bringing any subject the Forum member feels important to post. The guidelines are established by Rick. We play on his turf.
Of course the daily subject matter will change; it's not static by any means. When an important social issue is before the Nation, it is a subject brought before the Campfire for discussion. We are in the midst of a national election for the President of the United States, so there will be a lot of threads on this subject. Why not? The future of our gun rights is involved here, so it is important to many members, me included.
People are not constrained on what they post as long as is in concert with Rick's Mission statement, and the use of clean language. Jokes, weather, wolves, what's for dinner, and a lot of other topics are appropriate, to include requests for personal advice as this thread is all about.
Look, each of us members are responsible for our own conduct here. If someone doesn't like what's being posted, don't read the thread, but move on to another thread you like. But, don't bitch about a thread because you don't like it, as some have posted about all of the political threads going on here. Post your own thread if you don't like political threads and STFU. No one forces you to read a thread, then complain about the thread to Rick.
I have no intention of adding my own biases on what should and what should not be posted here. When I find an article, or a paper written about a subject that I feel other Forum members might be interested in reading, I post it.
There are a whole lot of great threads here, with intelligent posts by good people. And, Rick has managed this Campfire wisely, for which I personally thank him. This place is my living room.....

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ditto

The topic of a thread never offends me. Some bore me. Some disgust me. They're dog-easy to flat ignore and forget. (I'm never looking for something to get mad at, to get hurt by, or to fight about, as more than a few here seem to be. If I were, there's plenty here for everybody.)

What I find offensive* is the rudeness, the nastiness, the hatred, the hostility, the sheer bestiality of some posts. Thus I very often get disgusted but almost never get mad. And when I do get mad, I don't reply until I've cooled-off. (For some reason that I don't understand, I don't seem to have the same freedom to get mad � or to show it � that others do. OK by me.)

*(Let me here point-out a vital distinction: Noting that something is offensive is not the same as being offended by it.)

"Good enough" isn't.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken ... that makes no sense, to me ... I'm sure that just about anything and everything on this planet is offensive to someone somewhere ... by your definition, everything is "offensive", whether or not it offends you ...

I choose to understand how something might offend someone else, but if it doesn't offend me, it's not offensive when I'm speaking about it in reference to myself ...

-WGM-
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Maybe I'm not all that observant,... but I just don't see the problem here,... never have.

It's a forum,... multiple personality types all interacting and everything that that entails.

If somebody comes on talking about stuffing a .243 case fulla FFFg and topping it with a 140 grain bullet,.. I'll just ask 'em to take a pic of the event so I can later say "who-eee!".

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ken,some of this is " wisdom of age",some is your intelligence(you can't convince a fool), & some is your strength of character & morality. I fit in the "wisdom of age" category at least. I read a lot & only post when I have something constructive to post. I have managed a fair amount of people, mostly engineers,but I would occasional have someone that would disagree with any opinion. I certainly see some of that on the Campfire. Disagreement & diverse opinion are great but some disagree with any post regardless of how positive. I stay out of the disagreements but sometimes find it a bit entertaining. I do believe the Campfire is great & I have learned a good deal & met some wonderful people. Rick has done a fabulous job & I go out of my way to support sponsors. Happy holidays to all.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1badf350, 16gage, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,959
Posts18,519,447
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.