Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
From the pictures I've seen, Big Stick knows where to put the + on deer being shot for meat. I like seeing the popeyes, anywhere else is just making a mess.

The pics from 20 years ago when he poached a few at 30 yards over a bait pile. True long range hard charger

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From the pictures I've seen, Big Stick knows where to put the + on deer being shot for meat. I like seeing the popeyes, anywhere else is just making a mess.

It ain't hard and doesn't take a high BC bullet to put venison in the cooler....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How many times is that doe gonna die?

Lol

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beaver10
How many times is that doe gonna die?

Lol

🦫

All the times!!!!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I saw 257 Roberts ammo loaded with 117gr. RN from Remington sale in the Natchez flyer. Looked em up and out of stock. Nice that Remington cares.

Dog I rescued in January

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rickt300
I saw 257 Roberts ammo loaded with 117gr. RN from Remington sale in the Natchez flyer. Looked em up and out of stock. Nice that Remington cares.
Yeah, the Creed is a much better option if ya gotta buy factory ammo.

I don’t have that problem.

BTW, my Creed shoots the 109 gr Absolute Hammer at 3,200 fps over TAC powder. Generally you need faster powder with the AH to get enough in the case for max performance.

Go figure. Shoots MOA or better. Google the AH. Interesting concept.

DF

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by goalie

It ain't hard and doesn't take a high BC bullet to put venison in the cooler....

Oh here we go again. Stick has burned through tens of thousands of dollars destroying rifles and scopes to try to teach you that if a .257 Roberts can't kill an elk at 1300 yards, every cartridge invented before 2001 is trash. And you just won't listen. WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN?! How many rifles have to go in the creek? How many stocks have to be spray painted before you get it? Go out right now, find a deer, and touch off a 243 Core Lokt -- and tell me if it doesn't just bounce off. You know it's going to. That's why you used AI to create the photo of the dead doe. Stick is just being strong for all of us. STAY STRONG STICK.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

Too bad!

My grandmother killed a bunch of Montana big game with that 117 round-nose Remington factory load, using the Remington 722 I still have--and have hunted quite a bit. The animals varied from pronghorns to cow elk, and she only used the factory open sights. But that was long ago, when animals killed at under 300 yards didn't count....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Too bad!

My grandmother killed a bunch of Montana big game with that 117 round-nose Remington factory load, using the Remington 722 I still have--and have hunted quite a bit. The animals varied from pronghorns to cow elk, and she only used the factory open sights. But that was long ago, when animals killed at under 300 yards didn't count....
She must have been a very special lady, must have had eyesight like an eagle. And, you still have her keepsake, that very special rifle.

What a legacy. I love hearing the story.

DF

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I remember reading that story in a mag article some years ago I too have remembered it. Kinda fueled my thing for a 257. I think this Rem 700 I traded into has the mojo workin, we’ll see what opening day brings.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by OldRooster
I remember reading that story in a mag article some years ago I too have remembered it. Kinda fueled my thing for a 257. I think this Rem 700 I traded into has the mojo workin, we’ll see what opening day brings.
Look forward to those details.

Yeah, the old Roberts is a classic. It's as effective now as when they rolled it out, maybe more so with modern bullets and powder.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/10/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Were I sitting in a deer stand, I can’t think of a rifle I’d rather have in my hands to wile away the hours than a Roberts wrapped in a good stick of walnut…

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Were I sitting in a deer stand, I can’t think of a rifle I’d rather have in my hands to wile away the hours than a Roberts wrapped in a good stick of walnut…

Man, that’s some good looking lumber.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My 257 Roberts only has a twelve twist barrel (actually a gain twist finishing at twelve) it will handle 120 Speers or 100 Hornadys real well, but nothing with a super great BC. Is it a steaming pile of crap? GD

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I’d be sitting in a blind admiring that wood, myself.

Like they say, life’s too short to be hunting with an ugly rifle.

Now, busting brush and hard use, it would be hard for me to beat up such a fine rifle. That’s what synthetics are for.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks Paul, I looked for the better part of 10 years for the "right" Roberts with wood like this.

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Now, busting brush and hard use, it would be hard for me to beat up such a fine rifle. That’s what synthetics are for.

DF, totally concur. This Rob is the only wood-stocked rifle I own. African Walnut is my stock of choice for most of the hunting I do.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
For several years now I have used 117 grain Hornady interlocks, I have killed several bucks with them now and see no reason to use a more expensive bullet. They shoot into a quarter for 3 at 100, which is about the best I can do anyway. I have used the 100 grain TSX but see no improvement in performance.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The little 100 gr Sierra BT has given me more in the track kills of any rifle I own. I did end up with a few hundred of the Hornady 117 RN when Midway had a sale on them. They will be next seasons load.
Brad congrats on finding a nice looking Roberts. Still looking for a special one to be my last.

GreggH

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Thanks Paul, I looked for the better part of 10 years for the "right" Roberts with wood like this.

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF, totally concur. This Rob is the only wood-stocked rifle I own. African Walnut is my stock of choice for most of the hunting I do.

African Walnut! I had to read that twice!

Pretty rifle Brad. Very cool

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, had to read that one twice, but got the idea of what he meant.

DF

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 52 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,578
Posts18,473,324
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.