Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
TJ-plott hound
Hunted 7 states and 2 provinces. Lion,bear and coon were his specialties.
Disceased, but he took a lot of em' with him.

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
[Linked Image]

Cole, 7 years old, first ever duck/hunting season of any count. He is our child, I'll happily post a couple of others... Just learned how to wear earmuffs on an airboat 2 weeks ago...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
[Linked Image]

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
[Linked Image]

Sorry, I get carried away, he is laying by the wood stove in the den right now.

Jeff

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ms. Scarlet and I just walked down the big ditch west of the house and had a most excellent end of the day. She is my 9 y/o Llewellin Setter and my "Baby Dog". wink Scarlet is sleeping with her head on my left foot as I write...

Best Holiday Wishes to All,
L2S
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
here is Buck, AKA "old reliable". I have hunted over him every year since 97'....he is an early 97 model. I am amazed every time we hunt, he will find birds on public land till the end of the season year in and year out.

I am sad to say that I am putting him on the bench next year. he has plenty of ambition and sense, but the old body is growing old and I do not want him hurt. chukar is hell on old dogs. I am replacing him with a Drahtauer(sp)
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
When I was a kid I wanted a Plott real bad. Didn't happen, but I've got a soft spot for them.

Jeff, great pictures of Cole. Looks like he's doing fine. Is that all the decoys you have to use?

I have a friend who is partial to Miss Scarlet and Lewellins in general.

And Buck looks great, too. Don't bench him too soon. He would probably take a chance rather than stay home - at least on the easier ones.

Last edited by toltecgriz; 12/24/07.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
TDF Offline
T
Mr. Marbles and one of our party of four's take on the last bird hunt of the year in late January 2007. We also got another rooster another pair of quail and a rabbit that didn't make the photo.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Toltecgriz

Nah, I've got another string with some goose dekes, and nephew carries another 15 and the man with the airboat, usually has 2-4 dozen.... Just depends on how many we use. My one string has 22 on it and that usually always goes, but needs painting again, heck they are only circa 83....

Cole got a Goldeneye back for me yesterday, never seen one here.... its almost ready to mount.

We'll talk soon enough, I still am not sure how to train him to go away, though he seems to understand some here, he doesn't when in the water... But we have 8 months to work on that!

Merry Christmas!

Jeff

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's a few of my Floyd. Little over a year old, he's simply a pleasure to work with already.
[Linked Image]

Here's his first bird. Always a milestone with anyone's dog. He's the good looking one. Did I already say I like hammer guns?
Enjoy the holidays, gang.
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by rost495
Toltecgriz

Nah, I've got another string with some goose dekes, and nephew carries another 15 and the man with the airboat, usually has 2-4 dozen.... Just depends on how many we use. My one string has 22 on it and that usually always goes, but needs painting again, heck they are only circa 83....

Cole got a Goldeneye back for me yesterday, never seen one here.... its almost ready to mount.

We'll talk soon enough, I still am not sure how to train him to go away, though he seems to understand some here, he doesn't when in the water... But we have 8 months to work on that!

Merry Christmas!

Jeff

I was just kidding. It'd be nice to wade through the marsh with 5 pounds of decoys instead ot 35 or whatever.

Merry Christmas back at you and all the dog guys on here.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
What is Mr. Marbles breed? I like the brindle color.

MOLON LABE

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
TDF Offline
T
Originally Posted by watch4bear
What is Mr. Marbles breed? I like the brindle color.

Mr. Marbles is a Boxer, Lab, Australian Cattle Dog (aka Blue Heeler) mix that was rescued from a pound as an 8 week old puppy purely because he was too handsome to let them put him down. Surprisingly he's turned into not to bad of a hunter.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Good for him and good for you. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dog was the runt of the litter in Westcliff, CO.
They say she had to fight for a tit because the waterbowl was always froze.
They say she almost didn't survive.

My wife found her living in a chicken pen on a ranch.
The cattleman that had originally bought her said she was too small for herding and was getting picked on by the other heelers. His kids had named her Heidi.
We paid $75 for her.

It was clear to me she was a fetching machine so I let her try to retrieve some birds.

[Linked Image]

A couple years passed.
I had never been to a hunt test before but I had read the rules.
I thought she could do the things the test required.

I was nervous enough entering a hunt test for the first time.
Especially with dogs coming to compete from all over the country.
I could hear people saying stuff like "Did you hear some guy entered a cattle dog here today?"

[Linked Image]

She passed that first hunt test.
She went on to earn an HRC SHR title and receive a letter from NAHRA acknowledging she earned the points for an SR title but would not receive it because she was not an approved breed.

I knew nothing about dog training.
I never force fetched her and I never used electronics (Amish method).

[Linked Image]

The retrieve I am most proud of was when she dove under a shelf of ice and pulled back a crippled pintail that had dove under.

Heidi is 8 years old now. She has hunted CO, NE, NM, SK, ND.

I took the following photo of her this morning.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Alamosa; 12/29/07.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Just too cool!

MOLON LABE

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thats way cool. Im realy enjoyin that last pic

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
lochsa,
Those pictures are great!

Alamosa,
Cool +3. I enjoy hearing a story like that.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by watch4bear
TJ-plott hound
Hunted 7 states and 2 provinces. Lion,bear and coon were his specialties.
Disceased, but he took a lot of em' with him.

[Linked Image]
Plott Hounds are awesome. I hunted boar in Vermont with a pack of Plott Hounds. That's a real pretty one you had there.

T
TDF Offline
T
Alamosa, That's a great dog you got there. The dog I had before Mr. Marbles was a border collie, Australian cattle dog mix and he was a retrieving machine as well. Never did get around to hunting with him (didn't have any chances to hunt birds during his short lifespan, but wish I would have).

Mr. Marbles got to go hunting again today, in southern NE. Here's the take at 2:00 pm when we quit.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by TDF; 12/29/07.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TDF,

Beautiful photo! Thanks for posting it. smile

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GREAT dog and pix!! cool Every dog has hunt in them, and yours proves that in spades. wink smile

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by luv2safari
GREAT dog and pix!! cool Every dog has hunt in them, and yours proves that in spades. wink smile
Very true. I've heard of someone using a Boxer as a bird dog. Not going to be as perfect as a bird dog, but they all have it in them to one degree or other, and it can be brought out with a little encouragement and direction.

I'm glad that someone adopted that great looking dog and gave him a good life.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I love those mixed bag hunts. Here's a pic of my Pudelpointer "Bear" with diving ducks, puddle ducks, sharptail, and a goose, taken on a walk near my home last October. He retrieved all, and pointed the sharptail, ( and some huns that I missed ) He's a very versatile dog.
[Linked Image]
another mixed bag, huns, snipe and ducks
[Linked Image]
he even retreives beavers!
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wow, great dog!!
Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TDF, I picked up this guy near Emerald back in 1974. His name is Casey, a Chesapeake Bay Retreiver, and he was the best bird dog I ever had. Several times I limited out on ringnecks and never took a shot. He was a big boy, coming in at around 125# and was also great as just a "pet". He loved to swim and would swim upstream in the main currrent of the Missouri River. He went to the happy hunting grounds in 1984 and I still miss him.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Otter; 12/31/07.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
post to photobucket or the like, and transfer an IMG file over.. thats how all mine are done. Lucky for me, the wife takes the pics, and then puts em on photobucket, all I have to do is copy and paste...

Looks like a great dog!

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rost, that's what I did (from hunt101 not photobucket, though) and it still is small. I'm not the most techno-proficient guy on the face of the planet, though, and sometimes it has to be spelled out for me real slow . . . Thanks for the help . . .

GOT it - switched to photobucket and it worked better . . . thanks again . . .

NRA Endowment Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wow, thats a big ole lug head loveable looking dog!!

Jeff

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
My old Wiemaraner, Thunder, was an adoption at about three years old. He was never hunted - locked in the backyard and never allowed in the house. Yes, he was abused. When I took him home he became a couch potato - just like him owner.

When he was about seven, I took him out to a Hunters Education Pheasant Hunt for kids where I was one of the instructers (only the top graduates under 16 years old got to have their names in the drawing) and as far as I know, he never had hunted before. The other instructers told me to let him hunt with their dogs (even after I told them he had never hunted) and he pointed and retrieved like a champ. Once he forgot to let us shoot first, but we got the bird so.....oh well.

I bet every one of you remembers your dog's first retrieve. I know I do.

Let me say that I couldn't train a dog to hunt if my life depended on it. Thunder's a GREAT companion that happens to hunt.......naturally. And the best one I've ever had.

This is his first hunt at seven years old - He's 10 now.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Riodot; 12/31/07.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Great rescue. The good ones just have it in them.... They don't need us teaching, just a bit of guidance. They are smarter than we are.
Beautiful kid!!!

Enjoy him! Cole didn't really hunt till this year at 7... I gotta enjoy every hunt now at that age!

Jeff

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
What a great post!
Not having the best of holidays, missing our Yellow Lab who we lost to cancer earlier this year. Tried bird hunting a couple times without him and I just couldn't do it.

Luv2safari - glad I finally got to see a picture of one of your dogs....beautiful, and the shotgun is nice looking too!

Alamosa - outstanding photos and story. There are so many dogs like yours that need a home, thanks for doing what you did.

Think you guys got me over the fence here......I'll be looking for another dog to light up our home and accompany us in the field (might even be one of those "reject" heelers that show up every now and again out here)!

Thanks!

elkjaeger

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Tough as it can be, gotta get back in that saddle again...

Jeff

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Otter, that's a really nice picture of what is obviously quite a dog. Looks and sounds like he was a great buddy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Pat, I took that picture back in the old days of 35mm tri-x and a 200mm equipped SLR Pentax. Casey was my best buddy my last year in college and was probably 3 yrs old in that picture. My dad, brother and I were duck hunting along the Elkhorn River in Nebraska when I snapped that photo. My dad had a female Chessie and they were good friends, even when she wasn't in heat, and even better hunting partners . . . you couldn't wear them out.

Now we have a half lab-half border collie. Pete is getting to be close to rivaling Casey as a best buddy . . . he's really a card.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cast...

I loved the mixed bag with the Wilson's snipe! My old boyhood griffon, Rip, pointed snipe. They were and still are the most challenging bird to shoot' IMO. cool cool cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkjaeger

Luv2safari - glad I finally got to see a picture of one of your dogs....beautiful, and the shotgun is nice looking too!

Thanks!

elkjaeger

Here are a couple more; our recent chuckar hunt, taken at dusk...

I have to say that I have enjoyed this thread about as much as any other, any time, anywhere. Dogs are pretty darned special, IMO. smile

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by luv2safari

I have to say that I have enjoyed this thread about as much as any other, any time, anywhere. Dogs are pretty darned special, IMO. smile

[Linked Image]

And so are the people who own, train, rescue, and appreciate them.
Great thread.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I guess I had better put my two in here.

Cosmo and Lucy are both rescue success stories. Lucy came from North Tx rescue and Cosmo came from rescue out of KC,Mo.
We have had 4 rescue Wiems since 1992. Two of which have went to a better place after many years of enjoyment.

Both are very birdie and will give a staunch point any Dad would be proud of, unfourtunately neither care for the gun. I haven't given up hope and I work on it every chance I get.

[img][IMG]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/Sweet16Owner/CosmoandLucy005.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/Sweet16Owner/LucyMemphisCosmo2.jpg[/img][/img]

Memphis is one we fostered for 2-3 months before we found him a forever home. I could had never imagined how hard it would be to see him go after such a short time. They grow on ya....kinda like a fungus.

As you can see, they don't have it real tough. grin

Last edited by WeimsnKs; 01/01/08. Reason: Add PIcs
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Great pics.. Not sure I could foster one and give him/her up.... Good job on your end though!

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have enjoyed reading about everyone's special dog. Good stories and pics.

Here is Rica, my GWP, who is the first dog I have had. Getting her has been one of the best things I have done for life. I tried to train her myself, so she is no field trial dog. Yet, she seems the happiest when she she sees the shotgun and gets to find some quail.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Have had two wirehairs. Never got to use them on birds, but they did fine on bear. Sure friendly, loveable, dogs.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This wirehair sure likes other people, but would rather avoid other dogs. She is rather submissive, like a zeta female.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great thread on our fav dogs.

Here are my two GWPs. Abbey, driving the boat, is a rescue. Thor at his 1st birthday party. Both are now 5 yrs old.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Now that's why dogs bite people LOL

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thor looks like he was spanked BEFORE you sang "Happy Birthday" to him. grin

Sure are great looking pooches. cool

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea it looks like I beat the poor guy. I was telling him to stay for a clear pic. I could have showed outdoor hunting pics but wanted to entertain a bit.

Thor is pretty docile in the house. He has his places where he lies, you can walk over him. He is very comfortable with his position in our home. He sings for dinner which is a real hoot. He is a typical wirehair with strangers and is very protective of our house when UPS or similar shows. He won't quit when we hunt. An easy to live with package.

On the other hand my rescue, Abbey, is the opposite. She is friendly to all, runs into stuff in the house and very reluctantly follows commands to lie down etc, usually gets up as you step over her, follows me everywhere. At least she is showing her potential as a hunter and has begun to point solidly on singles and coveys. Has always been a good retriever.

Wouldn't trade either for anything.

I could never imagine living without a hunting dog. I am sure all of you feel the same way.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Those GWPs sure have beautiful faces!!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Here are some pictures of Maggie. She lives to hunt! These pictures were taken in South Dakota just after christmas this year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How could anyone resist that look...??? grin

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Oakster

Great looking dog. FWIW, however, I've learned the hard way not to use a choke chain for general collar purposes. I used to think they were handy, trouble free and looked good. That was a long time ago.
I'm not saying there was a fatality, but I'll never use one again on an unsupervised dog. Not getting on you as I know it is a common practice, though not as common as it once was. Just trying to give you the benefit of my experience. Like I said, FWIW.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Those are great pics of the GWPs -- will have to put up a few of our new lab pup as soon as she lets me catch up on my sleep.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Doesn't anybody have a pic of their GSP in action? confused

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Whoops, just saw JJ's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
Here's Tank, my 10 year old yellow lab. I picked him up while in college, didn't have any money but I traded a chainsaw carving of a big bear for him as an 8 week old pup. Can't say enough good about this dog, been there through it all, from a divorce to picking up and moving 400 miles with my son to start a new job. I don't think there is anyone who knows me who doesn't know Tank too. Gonna be rough when he goes, on me and my boy.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Abby: Not great but dam good.
[Linked Image]

Toby: Time will tell.

[Linked Image]

Battue

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's photo of Holly who died of kidney disease at 4 years. She was a sweetheart and her loss broke all our hearts-

[Linked Image]

My current pair Rastus and Hanna. They are great field dogs and house dogs as well-

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What breeds...English? They are gorgeous! laugh

battue,

Very nice photos and the right kind of birds! cool

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
luv2safari,

Yep, english setters. Thanks.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Duffy: English Springer
This was a truly great one. Between me and my friends approx: 350 ruffed grouse were shot over this dog. And only a handfull that came down were not retrieved. Have no idea how many doves he brought back, mostly from hot and rank conditions. A long time ago his litter brother won the Springer National Championship.
This drawing was done after I killed the last 2 birds shot over him at 12yr. Yes I'm bragging, not for me but for him.

Battue

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice potrait of Duffy. I knew an old coon hunter in Nebraska, he 3-D mounted his best hounds, and put them under a tree in his trophy room. The tree had several coons in it. He said that was the greatest honor he could give.

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yow, never did like the taxidermy thought of dogs.... children as they are to me.... but to each his own!!

Lots more good pics since I last looked...

Jeff

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
This is a French Brittany that is 5 years old. Piture was taken two years ago at a Hunt Test. Need to start carrying a camera when out hunting but I just might be doing that soon. These dogs are becoming more popular each year. They are the ancestor of the American Brittany or otherwise correctly called 'Brittany'. They are the smallest pointing dog around.
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by rost495
Yow, never did like the taxidermy thought of dogs.... children as they are to me.... but to each his own!!

Lots more good pics since I last looked...

Jeff

Once you've seen Trigger mounted, nothing is too weird. smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
seen it but.....

being a taxidermist..turns me off totally as a dog lover...

Last edited by rost495; 01/29/08.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
+1 to that. Have to seriously have that explained. Go figure cry

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Didn't mean to imply that I like it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by idahochukar2
This is a French Brittany that is 5 years old. Piture was taken two years ago at a Hunt Test. Need to start carrying a camera when out hunting but I just might be doing that soon. These dogs are becoming more popular each year. They are the ancestor of the American Brittany or otherwise correctly called 'Brittany'. They are the smallest pointing dog around.
[Linked Image]

Chuckar...

I have coveted your dogs for a while now. wink cool

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Idchukar,

Absolutely gorgeous dog!

A local gentleman of my aquaintance has a couple French Britts that seem to be the ideal combination of size and desire......
I'd probably get one myself if I wasn't so stuck on flushing breeds.

Thanks for sharing.

elkjaeger

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
[img][IMG]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee263/vtmarksman/right-nav-03-brd-tout-cbp.gif[/img][/img]

my 11 month old votes for clifford smile

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by woofer
[img][IMG]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee263/vtmarksman/right-nav-03-brd-tout-cbp.gif[/img][/img]

my 11 month old votes for clifford smile

woofer

Is Clifford a pointer or flusher? grin

MOLON LABE

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Those are some fine photos of a really nice looking dog lochsa.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Heck, i like all of you all's dogs, they are terrific looking beasts!

Here are a few pics of the dogs I had the honor of hunting over this fall & winter while waterfowling along the Colorado River in Arizona...

This is Mindy, a 4 year old Chocolate Labrador Retriever, fetching a snow goose
[Linked Image]

Here's Chance, a Yellow Lab male...
[Linked Image]

OX, the huge lovable goofball Black Lab, 2 years old
[Linked Image]

This is Shasta, a 20 month old beauty that is way ahead of schedule as a gun dog-she's is terrific!
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]
my two prides Tanner 'n Corey, both destined for greatness

"Death ain't nothin' but a speckled pony, that ain't never been rode"
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
[Linked Image]

The best bird dog I know! (me)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...and a spoonie to boot... smirk

grin grin grin laugh

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I intercepted my boss as she was taking a lil pup that her daughter snuck home to the pound. I didnt know I was ready for another dog after loosing my yellow lab but the pup let me know that I was.

This is clod he is black lab an some type of hound. When he was 6months I dropped 2 quail an he was tryin to retrieve both at the same time lol. Also pointed out a grouse for me but soon got the nack of running deer so I leave him at home untill I get him broke of that.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

clod lives a very tough life
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
idahochukar,

That French Brittany of your's is absolutely gorgeous! Do they act very similar to the American Brittany?

Here's a picture or two of Buster, my 8 year old Brittany.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My pup doing her thing.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's one from last weekend with my GSP Mojo..........incredible nose, guides plead with me to buy him.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by docdb; 02/07/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's my GSP "Shooter" and the neighbors GSP "Duchess" both about a year and half old. While he isn't my 'great one', I don't have pics of the half shorthair, half Irish Setter I had as a kid. No training and that dog would embarass any pedigreed retriever when it came to hunting dead and wounded birds.
[Linked Image]

Shooter's story is my gf heard a woman in a neighboring town had some good shorthairs to get rid of. She drives over, the woman offers her 20 bucks to take them. Turns out the womans hubby had cheated on her, she kicked him out and told him to take his dogs. He hadn't yet, but had sold a few for several hundred bucks. She showed my girlfriend pics of the dogs hunting all over the country, supposedly some high powered award winning dogs. She wanted them gone just to spite him.

Shooter has turned out to be great so far, lots of pointing on wild pheasants this past year, wild quail, and now we're wrapping up the season on pay as you go places with pen raised birds just to get some more experience. Done some pretty respectable retrieving as well.

Shooter is the lighter colored one, Duchess is the darker one, she's a good dog as well, even if not mine.

Last edited by Cheesy; 02/13/08.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Pointing lab goes fishing............

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by lochsa; 02/14/08.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
[Linked Image]

Is it possible to be notified when a reply has been made to a post I've made? I don't want you guys to think I'm ignoring posts but I don't get a chance all the time to check in... cry

And thanks to luv2safari,elkjager and yourself for the kind words WRT my FB "Buster". He is a stud dog yet to be bred locally because the other FB owners have not had their bitches OFAd and I will not jeopardize the breed just for the money I could get. If their dog has the wrong height or doesn't have the hunting drive I want to see or anything else that's wrong, it's a no go. I'm not alone here with many FB breeders but there are enough out there (just uneducated) to cause a problem.

Are FB similar to Brittanys?

For the most part less and less anymore as the FB's size is diligently adhered to by the pro breeders and a few back yard breeders. There are a few similarities to the Brittany still however. Officially the two breeds are suppose to be the same height. The biggest different is in the conformation now.

And the hunting drive aspect doesn't win field trials. A FB typically will get out like the Brittany but the FB wants you to be with him more often as not. A FB has ideally to have a 'cobby' look, i.e., they are suppose to be pretty square. Most Brittanys are longer than they are tall by a big margin. The FB is ideally much closer to being square and that's what gives them the cobby run style.

With many FB backyard breeders it is too often another story and a guy really has to check out a back yard breeder. 'Buster' came from the latter but this man (Von Lilly, Southwest French Brittany kennel name) is just the epitomy of quality. He surpases a few of 'pros' IMO. I've previously owned 4 FB that were NG for one reason or another and I gave them away neutered. I got bamboozeled by some fast talking unethical types in the Southeast.

There is a great more deal of attention payed by ethical breeders to the total dog with FB as compared to 'regular' American Britts or just Brittanys as they are supposed to be called today. I see this difference in the Brittany bacause of clandestine cross breeding (to make a more competitive Brittany to win trials and satisfy the human ego)....we all have one but some more than others.

In European trials a FB has to pass a conformation inspection and if the FB doesn't fit the requirements.....he's not allowed to compete. AMAZING TO SAY THE LEAST. But not so here on the other side of the pond. Diamond ?Jill or something similar was the Brittany of the Year recently and her picture is plastered in all the Brittany magazines. Her head shape is horrible; it's like a coke bottle and I can see that some midnight breeding has taken place in her background. I'm sticking my head out here but that's my opinion. Of course she's been a fantastic winning dog and many of the Brittany people look the other way. How can you NOT breed such a fantastic bird dog???? That's heard far too often, IMO. Same for the height of the Brittany. I see long legs too frequently that are more in line with a breeding somewhere along the line of a setter. Now, the Bench Brittany that is a dual champion has passed both the requirements and is much the same as a FB. That is a great dog and I would hunt with one in a heart beat.

So look at Buster and his overall head shape, the shortness of body and the chest. Look at the length of him, how his ears are set on his head and his nose/muzzle shape. Compare him to the Brittany and forget the color as many many FB are orange and white. BTW, I still see Brittanys out there that are very similar to the average sport and I've even been guilty of thinking the Brittany was a FB but I was wrong.

But I must stress that the biggest difference between the two is a combination of everything. Both are wonderful dogs. I just like a smaller dog that hunts within 300 yards of me out in the open and I don't have to go looking for him (very often...grin). Part of the reason is the FB has not been 'fooled' with to make a more competitive big running dog. The European hunters very often have small plots of private land to hunt and they breed for a closer working dog.

We all are dog lovers and enjoy our partners, no matter the breed, sometimes better than any person can imagine. When you hunt with a dog that loves to hunt and pleases you...... Then you've got something that is akin to being in heaven.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That last statement sums it up very well. Glad to see this great thread still going.
Here's another picture I probably posted before but worth posting again.

My two boys, Buck and Floyd doing their thing.
[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Yep,

Those are a beautiful pair. I'd like to see more of them in Hunt Tests put on by AKC....same for the Red Setter. I've recently hunted with a fellow that has 3 of them and they are outstandingly hunting machines and run with a very easy gate. Can go all day long and never give up. I'll see if I can get some pictures. Just like your Gordons, they are fantastic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many great pics of our dogs. Sure glad the hunting community as a whole doesn't realize what hunting with a dog is all about. It is a sum greater than the parts kind of thing. If all the hunters knew, we would be crowded out of our hunting places.

I know many quail hunters here, in S. Az., that think it ia a bad idea to use a dog. Too many thorns, stickers and sharp rocks. They don't know what they are missing.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Rica is one spectacular animal, and what a coat! I've had one
GWP and two WPGs, but none of 'em had a coat to match hers.
I'm green with envy!

Good job! Hope you breed her and pass those fantastic genes
along.

M
M
My 2 Girls. Unfortunately they are gone now and I miss them terribly.

They were sisters and Friends For Life!
[Linked Image]

...and always ready to go!
[Linked Image]

A dog day afternoon!
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, love to see all the dogs! Well, I guess I better post a few of my girl.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The cat and the little white dog, were my girlfriends, they have both passed onto the rainbow bridge!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by sactoller; 03/22/08.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just spent an hour looking over this thread. I do not have a dog right now, but trying to buy an acre and put a house on it so I can buy a Labradoodle. I miss my GSP, Labs, Springers that have been my friends over the years. Hope to get a big black male Labradoodle and name him Goober. thanks to everyone who took the time to post great pictures and renew my desire to have, again, a bird dog buddy. MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/Georgedevries/IMGP0807.jpg[/img][/img]

Bosch is a GWP and this is obviously my avatar pic taken just after he locked up on a rooster pheasant. He is a very good pointer, a smart-bomb on birds and an excellent retriever too.

Incidentally, the pheasant tolerated my slowly bending down next to and just in front of Bosch, take out my camera and take the pic, all before his nerves got the best of him and he flushed.

Gdv

Last edited by goodnews; 04/05/08.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
mod71 - Great pics of your dogs and beautiful canoe, too!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is Callie, an AWS and hunting partner for 14 seasons. She is one of the featured AWS in Barrons "Sporting Spaniel Handbook" and won the upland hunting competition at the AWS National Specialty. It was really hard to say good bye to her.

[Linked Image]

This is Trooper a GWP and looks like he's going to be a great one also.

[Linked Image]

Never trust a dog that can't grow a decent beard.

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Godiva [Gigi] worlds best cookie eater and bed warmer [not too shabby on mountain grouse either].
[Linked Image]

Giving me her best telekinetic mojo to get me to give up my steak
[Linked Image]

My usual view of her working
[Linked Image]

Hurry up!!!!! The birds won't wait!!!!!!! TURN RIGHT NOWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Linked Image]

Aim small, miss small.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Great thread. I'm not smart enough to post pics, but, enjoy all of yours. I've got two pudelpointers, and have found them to be a great versatile breed. How many of you guys are familiar with NAVDA? Any guys using NAVDA bred dogs out west? Tim.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This is a pic of the Lab pup I lost last year, just three day's after this pic was taken. He was truely going to be a good one for sure.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 32 invisible), 1,695 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,289
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.