Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a set of those pencils if you want them. The method is too subjective for me. I rate it as ballpark at best, and my thumbnail is as good as that! I guess I'm prejudiced toward a direct reading Brinnell penetrator as I had a Rockwell hardness tester set up in my office for many years. I've calibrated my LBT tester a couple times with a Rockwell machine and it's dammed close.

Funny thing, the guy who owns the Rockwell machine I referred to offered to sell it to me. Price roughly equivalent to a new gun, not unaffordable. Trouble is my space is cramped now as it is, but it is tempting! Probably make it pay for itself by offering a service to casters to calibrate their hardness testers!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I have a set of those pencils if you want them. The method is too subjective for me. I rate it as ballpark at best, and my thumbnail is as good as that!

Just got back from looking over the cast boolit site (might have to sign up over there. Knew of it but never joined). Anyway, that's kind of the concensus over there too with the pencils. I'm sorta anal enough to want hard numbers to go by. Might just drop the coin on a Saeco tester, or something similar, and call it good. Pretty sure I can make myself justify it.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My employer has some sort of “gun” that gives the exact content of alloys. From there I can easily estimate the hardness based on content and info found on the internet. Neat tool but way too expensive for the hobby caster to purchase.

It has since come to my attention many scrap yards have the same or similar units. Check around and see if one might be willing to analyze what you have. From there you can research and develop a suitable alloy from you stash.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I was gifted some 'certified' alloy samples by a rich friend, 30:1, 25:1, Lyman #2, hardball, etc...upon which I tested against my pencils...they are closer than you would think, at least as close as the ball indent formula IMO. There IS a technique employed, described by one of the Cast Boolit gurus that lends some uniformity to the process, mostly to do with a filed cape chisel type point, and angle, and down pressure. Just sayin'.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ring3
My employer has some sort of “gun” that gives the exact content of alloys. From there I can easily estimate the hardness based on content and info found on the internet. Neat tool but way too expensive for the hobby caster to purchase.

It has since come to my attention many scrap yards have the same or similar units. Check around and see if one might be willing to analyze what you have. From there you can research and develop a suitable alloy from you stash.

Yeah, the scrap yards around here are pretty much just bubba shot the juke box types.

My old man years ago did a part time side gig as a chemist for an alloy recycling outfit. High end stuff, .gov contracts and the like. Nothing lead alloy that I know of though. In their lab he certified the contents of batches of alloy so they could sell it. That place is long gone though, sadly. Probably had the same machine in there.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I was gifted some 'certified' alloy samples by a rich friend, 30:1, 25:1, Lyman #2, hardball, etc...upon which I tested against my pencils...they are closer than you would think, at least as close as the ball indent formula IMO. There IS a technique employed, described by one of the Cast Boolit gurus that lends some uniformity to the process, mostly to do with a filed cape chisel type point, and angle, and down pressure. Just sayin'.

I hear you flintlocke....the pencil set is cheap enough to try and see. Won't hurt to try it anyway.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use a Lee hardness tool. I only use wheels weights that run 12 to 15 BHN. And it’s consistent. Before that a lead pencil kit.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Noone here or anywhere I've asked that question of has suggested the Lee tester. If it was worth a sh it somebody who actually knows casting would recommend it.

Straight WW vary too much for what I want to do, which is find and keep a consistent hardness, and be able to go back and replicate it at a later time. I'll also be likely using a mix of ww/Pb or Linotype/PB for hunting purposes as well, not just straight WW. It will take a decent hardess tester to get there.

I'll either fabricate my own tester, or buy a Saeco, the Lee thing isn't even up for consideration.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
WW is fine to hunt what you're gonna hunt with even if it's not as consistent as you want it to be.

50 50 WW and pure lead. 35 Whelen at 1900 FPS, for deer, what do you want to hunt ? Bear, Elk. Doubt you have an Elk tag where you live, so it's either deer or Black bear. You're over analyzing it. I know guys who don't get wrapped up in what year the weights were made or manufactures.

If they don't cast well add a little tin to it.

Last edited by anothergun; 12/08/23.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You're thinking I care what you think, or say.

You are mistaken.

Just yesterday you insulted my dead mother before you went back and edited that comment.

Your participation on my threads is not welcomed.

F uck off.

Get off my thread.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You bring insult on yourself…. I’d tell you to grow up but you can’t.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by anothergun
You bring insult on yourself…. I’d tell you to grow up but you can’t.

By your own admission, you "don't shoot much". I'd bet very heavy odds you don't hunt either. And I highly doubt you even cast bullets.

All you have, is your low rent bottom feeder childish insults.

Shut the f uck up and go away.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
aaaannndddd loook whoooooossss calllllllling theeeeee keeeeettttllleeee blllaaaaaaaaaack !!!!!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Kettle black?

Oh DO tell us how you figure.

Mr. Don't shoot, don't hunt, don't cast, but has all the answers.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
that's all you got on somebody you don't know. And arguing with a toxic friggin JO was my mistake

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sign is easy to read when an obvious window licker obviously licks windows.

Here's a suggestion, go suck start a 12 gauge if you can't leave people alone on this forum with your mentally ill bulls hit.

Not a freaking soul here is forcing you to be that way except YOU.

Now get the f uck OFF my thread.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Nah l think l’ll stay and shove info you need. You don’t need it, who cares, but others will. I forgot more about casting then you’ll ever know

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
See, that's the problem. Nobody wants what you got. 99% of what you post is either, childish insults, ridiculous misinformed idiocy, or it's just dangerous. Most have you on ignore because of that. You've worn out your welcome just like on other forums where you've been banned because of it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
oh gee what shall I do? then? Oh yeah I'm so dangerous, oh my, nobody but you is the expert ! Oh my ! I guess I'm beat, I wish I was like you ! NOT !

I'm no expert bullet caster by any measure, but I'd like to be. I don't own any kind of hardness tester
you have no experience with Lee Collet dies but will bash them anyway, retarted bastard, and never used thier hardness tester or ANY tester either retart !

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Never been one myself, to need tasting the s,hit sandwich to know it's a s,hit sandwich.

Nitwits like you though, crave the s,hit sandwich, pursue the s,hit sandwich, relish in having a fist full of s,hit sandwich in both hands.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,099
Posts18,483,079
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.