Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18907532 11/07/23
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
So... I haven't trapped for a long time. Have a bunch of traps that I need to get rust off, tune up, etc. Then coat them with something to help protect them. Used to have custom water heater to clean, wax, etc. Worked well; but think it was probably trashed years ago so starting from scratch. Still have gallon can of Blackie blend trap dye.

Thought might set, snap them all, power wash, and then...

Any recommendations?

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't worry about dyeing mine but if you are in an area with walnut trees, gather a few gallons gallons of walnut hulls... just the hulls not the nuts. Put as many traps in a 5 gallon bucket as it will hold, keeping them below the top lip. Dump about a gallon and a half of hulls in and top off with water. Leave them for a day or two then take them out and hose them off.
For waxing find a large old stockpot, set it on a turkey fryer (you can use the pot that came with the fryer but be sure that it's not one that you will ever want to cook in it), add two wax rings (new) for toilets and 3-4 lbs of unscented wax.
Get it to a slight rolling boil. Do this away from your house or buildings. Put a roofing nail or something similar between the trap jaws holding them slightly gapped.
I fasten tie wire to the ends of the traps chains and then lower traps into the hot water/wax. Bend the wire over the rim of the pot so it doesn't fall in. Leave them submerged for 30 seconds or so. When you pull them out, the hot water should have the up to temperature and coming through the wax floating on the surface they will be coated. You want them to look wet when you pull them out... if the wax start solidifying as soon as you remove them they are not hot enough. Put them back in for a few seconds longer.
I then use the wire to hang them on the fence or clothesline to cool. Once the pot cools off you can break the disc of wax loose and pour the water out, leave the wax in the pot and next year add water and do them all again.

Don't try to wax Conibears just spray paint them

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
To remove rust, soak them in vinegar and water for a couple days and then hose off. All rust should be gone leaving a trap looking almost new.

CK
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We always liked a light coating of rust on our traps prior to getting them ready Esp for new traps. Helps the speed dip, wax and dye stick better to them depending on the trap and application.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Boil them.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t dye, boil or wax mine and I actually kind of like a touch of rust on them.

If there’s quite a bit of rust I will buff it off with a wire wheel of some sort but that is the extent of my trap prep.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My trapping was all self taught so didn't always use the best methods, but I would intentionally lightly rust any new traps before waxing them. If they're heavily rusted you might try soaking them in some Evapo Rust first.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks everyone!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
5 gallon bucket, add i jug of toilet boil cleaner, soak 24 hours, powerwash let hang, surface will turn do what you want, the speed dip is easy but there are many others out there and boiling/dye/husks all body grips get flat black paint and done, easy way to do them is paint in bucket, thin it, dip, hang, done, the paint does not have to be thick, if it gets thick on body grip u are always cleaning the trigger area. Just my thoughts.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
T
i never boiled or waxed my land traps just power washed them off with hot water and let them hang till they got a thin coat of rust and stuck them in the ground, I did speed dip all my water traps and i feel it helped them blend in the clear water better

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Bought a 5 gallon bucket of evapo rust. Have power washer put away for winter. Will probably power wash them next spring, dunk them for a while in evao rust, then either dip in wax (probably buy a turkey fryer) or thinned rustoleum or some type of paint. For those who use paint, what do you use / how do you do it?

Also made me remember I have several dozen 110 and 220 size belisle brand connibear type traps still in the boxes they came in somewhere. I need to hunt them up too.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For bodygrips I hang them on the fence or clothesline and spray them with whatever cheap aerosol primer or flat black/brown/green I have handy.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If you wax the bodygrip traps be careful they won’t stay set. You will have to take a propane torch and melt the wax off the trigger and the bar where the trigger hooks onto to.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for the reminders about wax on body grippers.

I learned that lesson long ago. You don't have to have many 220s go off on your hand to learn! I remember it happening once after trap chain was fastened in place and just giving set that final tweak. Good thing it was an older trap (so not as strong) with the larger loops (so didn't shut as tight), I had gloves on, and I had trap setting tool close by. Still pretty awkward and painful... became a devotee of the safety catches and etc. after that.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought some muriatic acid and dipped mine in them. Came out looking like brand new traps after. Have them hanging on the fence outside waiting for them to rust and see how the dipping goes.

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rangersedge
Thanks for the reminders about wax on body grippers.

I learned that lesson long ago. You don't have to have many 220s go off on your hand to learn! I remember it happening once after trap chain was fastened in place and just giving set that final tweak. Good thing it was an older trap (so not as strong) with the larger loops (so didn't shut as tight), I had gloves on, and I had trap setting tool close by. Still pretty awkward and painful... became a devotee of the safety catches and etc. after that.

You mentioned having a 220 go off on your hand. One of the funniest stories I've ever heard was from a friend that tells of the time he had a 330 go off on his arm. Luckily he wasn't hurt, but it's a story for the ages.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
All great methods above depending on what you want.
Personally lightrust and dye or use hulls. I never was a wax guy. My mentor wasn’t so I guess I just followed.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
You don't need dips or wax on land traps here.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by poboy
You don't need dips or wax on land traps here.

I have some property in W Texas, but never tried to set any traps there. The coyotes don't smell and dig up your traps?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by gamma4diesel
. . .The coyotes don't smell and dig up your traps?

Keep your lure and baits out of the bedded trap.
Especially urine.
Keep their attention on your dirt hole or scent post
or whatever you're using

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Gotcha. I don't spend a whole lot of time out there, so I never even put trapping in the cards. I always have so many other things to do when I make the trip. It's a 10hr drive for me so it's hard to orchestrate the timing with the kids school and wife work schedule.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
We used to boil them in a large vat with walnut hulls and three types of sagebrush, no wax.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 45 invisible), 1,992 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,478,900
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.