Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd go with an R9 or maybe an RWS 34 if you didn't wanted to save a few bucks. I have the synthetic stocked 34 and it's not quite as refined as my R9, but I feel it's a big step up from the cheaper Chinese or Spanish made rifles.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RWS 34 is a pretty slim, svelte plinker with some arse behind it. They used to come in .22 cal. Not sure about now.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by johnw
Thanks Shane

Can you describe the art of shooting the break barrels well?

I owned an RWS 177 rifle many years ago. Model 34 maybe? I did Ok with it.
Never scoped it

It's mostly a matter of figuring out how the rifle likes to be held, and doing it that way every time. With break-barrels, the gun is recoiling long before the pellet leaves the bore, so any variations in hold, can have a big impact on how the gun groups.

For me I try to hold the forend at the balance point, and relatively modest pressure against my shoulder, and I try to keep my cheek very light on the comb.

If you google 'air rifle artillery hold' you will get some idea what I'm referring to. But not all air guns are the same, so it's not engraved in stone. You have to 'learn' the rifle.
Which is exactly why I like my co2 rifle better. I feel practice with it is more relevant/translates better to firearm practice as it's not hold sensitive like my springers. It's also more accurate than many people would think a co2 rifle could/would be and plenty powerful enough to take care of grey squirrels and cottontails out to 30 yards. As an added bonus it doesn't require a spring/gas ram proof air rifle scope /mounts and doesn't try to rattle all it's screws loose with use. It's just far more convenient and easy to use than the pumpers, pcp's and springers. I'll probably add a Hammerli 850 air magnum co2 rifle to my collection next.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Blackheart,
Does your CO2 rifle do well at lower temps, such as near freezing???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Blackheart,

I'm not Blackheart, but that's my biggest pet peeve with CO2 guns. The velocity normally can drop off pretty badly in lower temperatures.

IC B2

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A rep at Pyramid Airguns Said that they generally lacked power and consistency below about 65 degrees f...
IIRC he said they were mostly for targets or toys...

I'm not sure that a PCP would be all that much better, but I needto study on it some...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A rep at Pyramid Airguns Said that they generally lacked power and consistency below about 65 degrees f...
IIRC he said they were mostly for targets or toys...

I'm not sure that a PCP would be all that much better, but I needto study on it some...

The PCP isn't really affected by cold weather. It may take a few more pumps to fill the reservoir, or a little longer on the compressor, but once it is up to pressure, it's all the same.

My PCPs (Air Venturi Avenger) are both regulated. The regulator is adjustable without taking the gun apart. Also the hammer spring is adjustable, so you can tune it to whatever you need or want.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Blackheart,
It looses power in winter but not as much as I thought it would. Still accurate at 35-40 degrees {lowest I've used it} and powerful enough to punch holes through soup cans or kill a cottontail, just changes POI/trajectory a little. I don't generally target shoot with my airguns in the dead of winter so it's no big deal to me. At temps from 60-90 I don't notice enough difference to say so.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
thanks guys...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Break-barrel - Autonomous self-contained power source. Takes some skill to shoot well, heavy recoil is hard on scopes, loses power at altitude.

Multi-pump - Autonomous self-contained power, power easily controlled by number of pumps, easy on scopes, and easy to shoot well. All that hand pumping.

CO2 - Easy to shoot, not labor intensive, easy on scopes. Relies on CO2 cartridges, loses power in cold weather.

PCP - Easy to shoot, easy on scopes. Relies on hand pumping, scuba tank, or a compressor.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Shane

Can you describe the art of shooting the break barrels well?

I owned an RWS 177 rifle many years ago. Model 34 maybe? I did Ok with it.
Never scoped it

How to shoot a break barrel well...................shoot a Beeman R7. Avoid any springer with Magnum or 1000+fps on the box. Medium power springers such as the R7 or R9 are high quality rifles that are easy too shoot

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
And is there anything like the beeman R7 in .22?

The R7 is offered in .20 cal, but I'd just stay with .177 for lots of cheap shooting.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (163bc, 160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,784
Posts18,477,205
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.